What's new

IAF C-17 Flies to Port Blair, Deploys Rotational Infantry Battalion

Gessler

Reaction score
Country
India

IAF Statement: Having touched down on Indian soil on 18 Jun 2013, the IAF's latest acquisition C-17 Globemaster-III made its maiden flight to the Andaman & Nicobar
Islands on 30 Jun 2013
. Climbing an altitude of 28,000 feet with an unrefueled range of 2400 nautical miles, the aircraft landed at Port Blair to induct the rotational Infantry
Battalion into the Andaman & Nicobar Islands

Manufactured by Messrs Boeing of the United States, the C-17 Globemaster-III is a heavy-lift transport military aircraft, developed for the United States Air Force (USAF). India has become the largest customer, of this sophisticated aircraft, after the United States. C-17 Globemaster-III is 174 feet in length, with a wing span of 170 feet.

The maximum all up weight is 2,65,350 kg, with an ultra modernized palletized cargo handling capability.

Livefist: IAF C-17 Flies To Port Blair

cool....we should get more c-17s, hercules n antanovs.........

Gigantic C-17 aircraft executes it's first operational deployment, flies to Port Blair with infantry battalion

The rugged C-17s are central to the swift power-projection capabilities being slowly acquired by
India to counter China's massive build-up of military infrastructure along the Line of Actual Control.

NEW DELHI: The big bird has taken to the skies. In its first operational deployment since it landed in India on June 18, the IAF's gigantic C-17 Globemaster-III strategic airlift aircraft transported an Army infantry battalion to the country's last military outpost in the Andman and Nicobar Islands on Sunday.

"Operating from the Hindon airbase, on the outskirts of New Delhi, the C-17 inducted the rotational infantry battalion at Port Blair,'' said an officer.

The C-17s, IAF has contracted 10 of them for $4.1 billion in mid-2011 under the largest defence deal inked with the US till now, which will allow India to transport heavy armoured vehicles, howitzers and combat troops to distant battlefronts or hotspots at the double.

After the first C-17, the Hindon airbase is slated to get two more this month. All the ten will be in place by June 2015. Capable as they are of landing on forward makeshift runways with short turnaround times, the rugged C-17s are central to the swift power-projection capabilities being slowly acquired by India to counter China's massive build-up of military infrastructure along the Line of Actual Control, which includes at least five fully-operational airbases, an extensive rail network and over 58,000-km of roads in the Tibet Autonomous Region.

These giant four-engine airlifters also dovetail neatly into the Army's endeavour to raise a new mountain strike corps (around 40,000 soldiers), apart from two "independent" infantry brigades and two "independent" armoured brigades, to plug operational gaps as well as to acquire "some ground offensive capabilities" against China. With a cargo weight of 70 tonnes, the C-17s can take off, fly a distance of 4,200 km and land in a runway of just about 3,500 feet in length.

With half the load, they can go more than double the distance. The C-17s will join the six C-130J 'Super Hercules' aircraft, much smaller than the former but equally adept at landing at austere airstrips, already based at Hindon for the last couple of years. India is currently negotiating to acquire six more C-130s from the US. Interestingly, the six new C-130J 'Super Hercules', which will also be customised for "special and covert operations" like the first six, will be based at Panagarh in West Bengal to take care of the eastern sector with China. The Army's new mountain strike corps will also have its headquarters in Panagarh.

Gigantic C-17 aircraft executes it's first operational deployment, flies to Port Blair with infantry battalion | Times of India

This aircraft is vital to IA plans atm,until infrastructure growth is completed.We should eventually phase out il-76s entirely with this,the STOL and massive load is just unmatched.

This aircraft is vital to IA plans atm,until infrastructure growth is completed.We should eventually phase out il-76s entirely with this,the STOL and massive load is just unmatched.

My feelings exactly. I feel we will need more than 30-35 of these by

My feelings exactly. I feel we will need more than 30-35 of these by

I am guessing standardize our heavy strategic fleet at 3 squadrons of 12 globemasters 12 each for total 36.17 to replace the 17 gajaraj il-76s and 20 more for themselves[up from our current 10 order].I don't think thats unreasonable for future planning.
12-24 C-130 for special forces and stopgap for MTA.
MTA to replace antonovs..around 120.
For light tactical transports for now the 56 aircraft tender,eventually an upgraded saras version.

Plus a tanker fleet of IL-78MKI and airbus.

Good news. First operational deployment of c17.

C-17 is the best machine.
payload capacity as well as short take off and landing system are awesome

hope India will use these aircraft in disaster time also

Of course the IAF will use these in disaster relief ops where nessercary.

I am guessing standardize our heavy strategic fleet at 3 squadrons of 12 globemasters 12 each for total 36.17 to replace the 17 gajaraj il-76s and 20 more for themselves[up from our current 10 order].I don't think thats unreasonable for future planning.
12-24 C-130 for special forces and stopgap for MTA.
MTA to replace antonovs..around 120.
For light tactical transports for now the 56 aircraft tender,eventually an upgraded saras version.

Plus a tanker fleet of IL-78MKI and airbus.

they are looking at inducting only 45 MTA's

they are looking at inducting only 45 MTA's

It is initial order and I think 45 unit is not short order for 20 ton payload capacity plane but follow up order will grow surely.

It is initial order and I think 45 unit is not short order for 20 ton payload capacity plane but follow up order will grow surely.

i also think so that it won't be capped at 45 units as we are producing the same and can rack up production anytime...however the buzz word is that we are only looking at 45 units with a further 100 to be procured by Russia and rest to be exported to friendly countries...

Back
Top Bottom