What's new

Boeing brings forward C-17 line closure

I'd much rather the IAF look at the A400 now, wasn't there some article somewhere that said the IAF had showed some interest in it? I think the article was in Strapost or something. This looks like the only viable option now.

IAF impressed with Airbus A400M
- SP’s Exculsive

Options are available, be it the IL476, the A400M, the Kawasaki X2, just the AN70 might be gone now, but there is another interesting option that we can take, although I might think too far out of the box here.
Since the Russians wanted the AN 70 too and the MTA project is delayed, I wonder if we can develop it bigger as a NG IL 76 and not just an extended version like the IL476. The A400 has a similar size as the IL 76 today, so develop a new aircraft in the same size, with a larger cargo hold, a payload of around 40t and twin jet engine config as planned and you can cover all kind of roles below the C17s, while being cheaper to procure and more cost-effective to operate.

Think about this:

Heavy - C17 (direct procurement)
Medium to heavy - MTA (co-development UAC / HAL)
Medium - C130J (licence produced by TATA)
Light to medium - 2nd hand Saab 2000 + RTA 70 (Saab as a development partner NAL + Indian production partner)

Would cover all operational need and our industrial needs of India!

Considering IAF's order books are full for this and next year (MMRCA,Apache,Chinook,A330,Phalcon etc) for fast decision making. This can be a M777 story whole again.
So there is a chance for A400 IMHO.
you guys nearly bought all the fancy weapons in the weapon market, you are really rich.

IAF impressed with Airbus A400M
- SP’s Exculsive

Options are available, be it the IL476, the A400M, the Kawasaki X2, just the AN70 might be gone now, but there is another interesting option that we can take, although I might think too far out of the box here.
Since the Russians wanted the AN 70 too and the MTA project is delayed, I wonder if we can develop it bigger as a NG IL 76 and not just an extended version like the IL476. The A400 has a similar size as the IL 76 today, so develop a new aircraft in the same size, with a larger cargo hold, a payload of around 40t and twin jet engine config as planned and you can cover all kind of roles below the C17s, while being cheaper to procure and more cost-effective to operate.

Think about this:

Heavy - C17 (direct procurement)
Medium to heavy - MTA (co-development UAC / HAL)
Medium - C130J (licence produced by TATA)
Light to medium - 2nd hand Saab 2000 + RTA 70 (Saab as a development partner NAL + Indian production partner)

Would cover all operational need and our industrial needs of India!
I will call it a nightmare for maintenance and logistics. your air industry can't digest these at one go, diarrhea may happen. you gain nothing when you ask too much. without selected concentration, you achieve nothing in the end. I think C17 and C130 is enough for IAF. be matured!

Yeah 2 aircrafts that can do strategic lifts are a nightmare. :disagree:
you pay it twice for two similar products, or you just take IAF's procurement as your family business? you are luxurious!

you just can't ask your mom to buy all the favorite you like in a candy shop if she can't afford.

you pay it twice for two similar products, or you just take IAF's procurement as your family business?

Nonsense, a C17 is mainly a strategic lift aircraft, meant for long range high payload roles. An A400 is mainly a tactical transport aircraft, which has the capability to carry larger payloads to strategic ranges too, but still aims on the tactical transports first. That's why C160s and C130s will be replaced by A400s or Kawasaki C2s, which a C17 or IL 76 wouldn't.
The RAF will use C130s, A400 and C17s, the USAF considers new A400 class aircrafts as a C130 replacement in future and even the Russians planned with MTA, AN70 and IL476.

UAE Reveals New C-17 and Helicopter Buys at IDEX Show

...However, on the final day it was announced that two more Boeing C-17 Globemaster III transports are to be purchased at a cost of AED2.273 billion ($619 million). They will augment the six C-17s already in service...

UAE Reveals New C-17 and Helicopter Buys at IDEX Show | Defense: Aviation International News

That should be the secret buyer of 2 of the last 10 x C17s and the price tag once again shows that our price was reduced by the US government back then.

Back
Top Bottom