What's new

'I am an Indian Muslim, not a Pakistani' - BBC News

Look through this spreadsheet to compare Punjabi and other South Asians groups.

Anyway, hope this map also helps.

Harrapa-SouthAsia-Participant-Map-C1.jpg

Edit: The Spreadsheet isn't showing up, but hopefully the map helps.
Not convinced by your map, because I know many Pakistani Punjabis who have intermarried with Pakistani Pathans and Pakistani Sindhis as well.

Sorry, but Pakistani Punjabis have more in common with Pakistani Pathans and Sindhis than with Indian Punjabis and Indian Hindi speakers.

For a Bengali you quite little about Pakistan.

I have seen his genetics map. It does not mention Pakistan Punjabi being closer to Indian Punjabi than a Pathan.

Pakistani Punjabis have more in common culturally with Pathans than with Indian Punjabis.
i also said read my previous posts, which answer your question(s). i'll state it again but in less detail:
i specifically said pakistani punjabi muslims and indian punjabi muslims not punjabis as a whole.
our culture as a whole has basic similarities due to us belonging to the same religion but pakistani punjabi muslims and indian punjabi muslims will have much more similar cultures than pakistani punjabi muslims and other pakistani muslim ethnic groups like pakistani muslim pashtuns. that's just a fact and you can find plenty of evidence of it. i don't want to go into the details of what defines an ethnicity as its pretty complex and i wanna go to bed but i don't think it's too important.

This is true, but as Bangladesh is pretty homogeneous, i.e. 98% Bengali ethnically, all parties have to abide by some sort of nationalistic feeling to get elected. I hope the two party system dies out in Bangladesh, and there are more parties with significant following contesting elections. Pakistan is also getting more inclusive, as economic opportunities arise. I think CPEC with its economic boom, and the next generation, a significant portion of who support Secular(ish) parties like the PTI, the future looks good. Anyway, regards.
yup that makes sense. i foolishly didn't know that bengalis were the vast majority of the population (thought it'd be around 80%). i hope that economic boom does happen but i'm pretty skeptical. i hope the future is good though. also thanks for posting those infographics, they're pretty informative and justify what i'm trying to say. it's up to some users whether they want to try understand them or not.
alright, regards

Not convinced by your map, because I know many Pakistani Punjabis who have intermarried with Pakistani Pathans and Pakistani Sindhis as well.

Sorry, but Pakistani Punjabis have more in common with Pakistani Pathans and Sindhis than with Indian Punjabis and Indian Hindi speakers.

True, the map doesn't really answer your question. I got confused by you and the other guy. I sent you a spreadsheet on PM.

i also said read my previous posts, which answer your question(s). i'll state it again but in less detail:
i specifically said pakistani punjabi muslims and indian punjabi muslims not punjabis as a whole.
our culture as a whole has basic similarities due to us belonging to the same religion but pakistani punjabi muslims and indian punjabi muslims will have much more similar cultures than pakistani punjabi muslims and other pakistani muslim ethnic groups like pakistani muslim pashtuns. that's just a fact and you can find plenty of evidence of it. i don't want to go into the details of what defines an ethnicity as its pretty complex and i wanna go to bed but i don't think it's too important.

yup that makes sense. i foolishly didn't know that bengalis were the vast majority of the population (thought it'd be around 80%). i hope that economic boom does happen but i'm pretty skeptical. i hope the future is good though. alright, regards
There are hardly any Indian Muslim Punjabis now since partition. So I do not know how much your idea holds.

Secondly Pakistani Punjabis have more in common with Pakistani Pathans than with Hindu/Sikh Punjabis. This is a fact you cannot deny.

True, the map doesn't really answer your question. I got confused by you and the other guy. I sent you a spreadsheet on PM.
Okay I am looking at the spreadsheet.

upload_2018-2-14_18-59-28.png

Pakistani Punjabi Arain and Pathan have quite a few genetics in common or the percentages are quite close to each other.

There are hardly any Indian Muslim Punjabis now since partition. So I do not know how much your idea holds.

Secondly Pakistani Punjabis have more in common with Pakistani Pathans than with Hindu/Sikh Punjabis. This is a fact you cannot deny.

Okay I am looking at the spreadsheet.

View attachment 453950

Pakistani Punjabi Arain and Pathan have quite a few genetics in common or the percentages are quite close to each other.

Yeah, they are of course, rather close groups, but as you can see most Punjabi Muslims are more genetically similar to Punjabi Sikhs/Hindus. Most of Pakistan, besides Muhajirs, and isolated groups like Hazaras etc are pretty genetically close knit.

hi, thanks for your post. it is a shame to see india going in this direction. i admired india for its religious tolerance before but it is turning into a religious fanatical state just as pakistan (believe it or not) is (admittedly slowly) becoming more tolerant as evidenced by the growth in political parties like imran khan's. this development in india may be a result of pakistan's support of terrorism in india or perhaps this policy has only accelerated the inevitable (who knows?).

hmmm after reading this, i don't think the flag you bear is the correct flag.

indian punjabis are just one specific example. like i've said before, pakistani muslim punjabis have more in common with northern indian muslims.

you're comparing a nationality to religions? i'll assume you mean muslims when you say pakistani, in which case i won't accept or deny your claim. in some regards, pakistani muslim punjabis are culturally more similar to pakistani muslim pashtuns such as in religious aspects while our music, food and language is the pretty much the same as those of hindu/sikh indian punjabis

what makes you think i don't live in the uk?

Yeah, they are of course, rather close groups, but as you can see most Punjabi Muslims are more genetically similar to Punjabi Sikhs/Hindus. Most of Pakistan, besides Muhajirs, and isolated groups like Hazaras etc are pretty genetically close knit.
I have not compared the Pakistani Muslim Punjabi and Indian Punjabi percentages.

Even if we go by your argument, for the sake of argument. Now the times are changing. Pakistani Punjabis are intermarrying Pathans and Sindhis and Baloch.]

I doubt there is any genetic similarity between Pakistani Punjabis and Indian Punjabis let alone Pakistanis in general.

By the way Indians are also intermarriage among themselves, North Indians are marrying South Indians and etc.

indian punjabis are just one specific example. like i've said before, pakistani muslim punjabis have more in common with northern indian muslims.

you're comparing a nationality to religions? i'll assume you mean muslims when you say pakistani, in which case i won't accept or deny your claim. in some regards, pakistani muslim punjabis are culturally more similar to pakistani muslim pashtuns such as in religious aspects while our music, food and language is the pretty much the same as those of hindu/sikh indian punjabis

Your idea of Punjabis having in common with Sikh/Hindu Punjabis goes against the mainstream thought in Pakistan.

We Pakistanis have nothing in common with those Indians. lol.

I have not compared the Pakistani Muslim Punjabi and Indian Punjabi percentages.

Even if we go by your argument, for the sake of argument. Now the times are changing. Pakistani Punjabis are intermarrying Pathans and Sindhis and Baloch.]

I doubt there is any genetic similarity between Pakistani Punjabis and Indian Punjabis let alone Pakistanis in general.

By the way Indians are also intermarriage among themselves, North Indians are marrying South Indians and etc.

Your idea of Punjabis having in common with Sikh/Hindu Punjabis goes against the mainstream thought in Pakistan.

We Pakistanis have nothing in common with those Indians. lol.

Some clans in Punjab feel affinity for indians like jats, gujjars, rajputs where as Arains like myself and awans don't.

hi, thanks for your post. it is a shame to see india going in this direction. i admired india for its religious tolerance before but it is turning into a religious fanatical state just as pakistan (believe it or not) is (admittedly slowly) becoming more tolerant as evidenced by the growth in political parties like imran khan's. this development in india may be a result of pakistan's support of terrorism in india or perhaps this policy has only accelerated the inevitable (who knows?).

Its the other flag i am talking about

Can somebody tell me what is the differance between 170 million Indian Muslims and Pakistani Muslims? Besides being under house arrest by Hindu's?

@Oscar

Their house arrest is of their own will, they are consistently looking for acceptance by the Hindu majority.. and are generally more culturally different than the ethnic makeup of Pakistanis.
Per averaged capita they are poorer than their counterparts in Pakistan.

They use “Ham” for everything instead of “Mein”

And for those that think in such low context.. many have skin tones lower than the typical northern Pakistani but as I said it matters for those who haven’t evolved yet.

Tolerant Vs Intolerant. Indian Muslims are a shining beacon in today's Islamophobic world. A tolerant, hardworking group that get no attention for their role in uplifting Islam much more than any other Muslim group.
Hard to find an Indian Muslim who carries out terror activities in any country unlike some others.

Pakistani Muslims will always look down and force themselves to believe that Indian Muslims are having a tough time living In India and that is natural since one of the main reasons for partition was that Muslims and Hindus cannot live together. Indian Muslims defy that logic and continue to do so, something that messes the logic of the Pakistani Muslim.

Lastly, yes! we haven't completely figured out how multi-religious societies address their differences, but at least they have better opportunities in India, don't get killed by their own like in Pakistan..heck! Hold a passport that gets them more respect than some other who may be ranked #3 from the bottom.

What's so hard to figure out?

Most Hindustani Muslims I've met are Abdul Hind, not a sense of self respect among any of them other than one who I met recently. Always trying to prove themselves as proud Hindustanis, and even put nationality above Islam.

Hindustani Muslims, on average, aren't quite as wealthy or as successful as their Hindu peers from what I know. They also lack adequate representation in many field, and yes, they also go blow stuff up.

They don't defy the thesis on which Pakistan was founded on, they prove it. The Muslims of Hindustan have become a bunch of self-hating suck up's who show too much pride over a country that is the enemy of Muslims.

Obviously there is. Islam came to the subcontinent in Kerala. While in Pakistan, most are converted.

People in Kerala were converted too you numpty, that's how religion spreads.

Back
Top Bottom