What's new

How tall are you lot? Heights around the world revealed, in landmark study.

According to this study, average height of Indians born is 1996 is 164.95 cm, for Sri Lankans its 165.6 cm, for Afghans its 165.25 cm, For Pakistanis its 166.95cm, the difference is negligible.

Average height of Indians from the North, South, and Western parts of Indian on an average would be same as Pakistani average if not more. Its the Indians from eastern states (Bihar, West Bengal, Orissa), North Eastern States and Central states like MP and Chattisgarh who are of much shorter height on an average.

And either case I don't think this data reflects the correct picture, as in most cases they have just extrapolated the data rather than doing a real survey.

I think it's true for almost all countries, Height varies from region and ethnicity (Genetics).. Yes in India the differences are vast given the diversity and the population but even Sri Lankans greatly vary according to their ethnic back ground.. For example Sinhalese people are more closely related to Bengalis's hence maybe a little bit shorter than say a Moor or a Burgher in general, Sri Lankan Tamils tend to be much taller compared to Indian(Plantation) Tamil.. But more overall nutrition also matter a lot in human growth, That may well be a reason that on average Lankans might just be minutely taller than a average Indian.. Also India has a huge problem in stunted children due to a number of reasons as discussed above.. That means the person does not reach his/her potential height after two years of age

Most probably if those issues are solved in the long run, That average height would significantly grow higher.. As in the case of many countries

Last edited:
I think it's true for almost all countries, Height varies from region and ethnicity.. Yes in India the differences are vast given the diversity and the population but even Sri Lankans greatly vary according to their ethnic back ground.. For example Sinhalese people are more closely related to Bengalis's hence maybe a little bit shorter than say a Moor or a Burgher in general, Sri Lankan Tamils tend to be much taller compared to Indian(Plantation) Tamil.. But more overall nutrition also matter a lot in human growth, That may well be a reason that on average Lankans might just be minutely taller than a average Indian.. Also India has a huge problem in stunted children due to a number of reasons as discussed above

Most probably if those issues are solved in the long run, That average height would significantly grow higher.. As in the case of many countries

I don't know maybe its the Australian diet, but the Sinhalese I know in Sydney are all big units , much taller and bigger than the Lankan Tamils.

I don't know maybe its the Australian diet, but the Sinhalese I know in Sydney are all big units , much taller and bigger than the Lankan Tamils.

Yep.. The diet matters greatly, And every new generation tend to become physically larger than the one before because of the availability of more nutrition in varied diets.. This is true for all humans, Prime example is how the Dutch became the tallest people in the world since the baby boomer generation

SL Tamils tend to be smaller in general to Sinhalese and others

I don't know about others but i am quite tall as per standards 5' 10.5" can't wear heels :( even some of male cousins are shorter than me. On girls gang they always look up to talk to me.
I hope you don't look down on others!! :lol:

When it comes to height, Dutch men and Latvian women tower over all other nationalities, a study reveals.

The average Dutchman is now 183cm (6ft) tall, while the average Latvian woman reaches 170cm (5ft 7in).
I'm 1.92m (6' 3.5") and my wife is 1.78m (5' 10"). At home, I was tallest of all. In highschool, I was one of the taller/st guys in my yeargroup. If I look at the young blokes I run into in higher education today, I am average to tall rather than extra tall.

3676654021_e8d760feb4_z.jpg

mega-penguin.jpg

http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/giant-penguin-fossil-shows-bird-was-taller-than-most-humans/

fo0229-penguins-940.jpg

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/giant-fossil-penguin-found-in-new-zealand

Last edited:
And every new generation tend to become physically larger than the one before because of the availability of more nutrition in varied diets..

There was a piece in the Times today that reported exactly the opposite. Data showing that adults today are growing shorter than previous generations.

There was a piece in the Times today that reported exactly the opposite. Data showing that adults today are growing shorter than previous generations.

Hmmm.. Surprising.. Even by first hand experience kids are much bigger made these days than we were at that age in general

Im 6ft 7inches tall
beds are too small ,doorways i have to duck ,in photos im heads and neck above everyone and everyday im asked if i play basketball .:lol:
other than that i love being tall

I'm 6.... My father is 5'11. Mother is 5'6.
I don't consider myself "tall" rather average .. At least wasn't the "tallest" in my Univ,: although a lot of people were shorter than me..

The shortest gun in my family (both maternal and paternal) is an uncle whose 5'8 and made fun of because of his height.

The average in my family for men would be 6..

The tallest is my uncle whose 6'6.

Hmmm.. Surprising.. Even by first hand experience kids are much bigger made these days than we were at that age in general

I found it surprising too. The original piece is from the NY Times but I cannot post url links here.

It basically says that average height in many populations around the world has peaked, and the heights are now coming down.

I found it surprising too. The original piece is from the NY Times but I cannot post url links here.

It basically says that average height in many populations around the world has peaked, and the heights are now coming down.

Perhaps thats true about the developed world but the populations of the developing world never reached that potential due to poverty, malnutrition and other variety of factors, I think with rising economies more globalized world (mixed marriages with multi racial children), availability of nutrition and increased migrations, A fare proportion of humanity will indeed grow much taller and bigger

Perhaps thats true about the developed world but the populations of the developing world never reached that potential due to poverty, malnutrition and other variety of factors, I think with rising economies more globalized world (mixed marriages with multi racial children), availability of nutrition and increased migrations, A fare proportion of humanity will indeed grow much taller and bigger

I agree. One only has to look at how tall the Japanese the Chinese and the Koreans have become. And that South Koreans are actually now a tad taller than North Koreans.

i am 5'11, by youngest bro is 6' .. one of my cousin is 6'4/5 ...

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom