What's new

How South Koreans got so much taller

_NOBODY_

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

A century ago, humans were quite short. For example, the average South Korean woman was about 4-foot-7, or 142 centimeters, while the average American woman was about 5-foot-2, or 159 centimeters. Humans were fairly short by today’s standards, and that was true throughout nearly all of human history.

But in the past century, human heights have skyrocketed. Globally, humans grew about 3 inches on average, but in South Korea, women grew an astounding 8 inches and men grew 6 inches.

South Korea is a unique example. In the early part of the 20th century, South Korea was a poor and hungry country. But drastic economic growth fueled improved living conditions.

For example, in 1961 the country’s food supply was about 2,100 calories per person; by 2013, each person had about 1,200 additional calories available, according to data from the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization. UN data also shows that in 1950, about 20 percent of South Korean infants died before age 1, but now it’s about 0.2 percent.

However, South Korea’s improved living conditions are a harsh contrast to North Korea. For half of the 20th century, the south and north were one country. Heights in those two regions were nearly identical. So what happened to human height in North Korea after an authoritarian regime took over and closed off its borders?

Hmmm, interesting.

It sounds like a cope but tall human, while aesthetical, isn't good for modern warfare where you need smaller humans that require less food and can fit into vehicles and cover better.

Hmmm, interesting.

It sounds like a cope but tall human, while aesthetical, isn't good for modern warfare where you need smaller humans that require less food and can fit into vehicles and cover better.

the average person does not engage in warfare, but now has a better quality of food.

If every average person was engaging in warfare, it is likely over time the average height will still get taller due to better nutrition.

Weirdly, after World war 2, the soldiers going in at the start of the war were on average a couple of inches shorter than those who left the war. It seems that taller people are still more suited to warfare, as they tend to have greater athletic ability and endurance ability- which is needed in modern combat

800px-19_Year_Old_Male_Height_in_2019-NCD_RisC.png

My goodness China is same height as Russians/Americans and Indians are midget class respectively

the average person does not engage in warfare, but now has a better quality of food.

If every average person was engaging in warfare, it is likely over time the average height will still get taller due to better nutrition.

Weirdly, after World war 2, the soldiers going in at the start of the war were on average a couple of inches shorter than those who left the war. It seems that taller people are still more suited to warfare, as they tend to have greater athletic ability and endurance ability- which is needed in modern combat
In modern history, it is usually the malnourished and shorter sides who prevail actually, like the chinese and north korean in the Korean war, us vietnamese in the American war and the afghans in the Afghanistan war.

When you do full mobilization, the taller and bigger you are, the more food you need to consume, and this can hamper logistics. Along with the stuff I mentioned earlier (cover and fitting in vehicles).

any man over 6' feet looks awkward, moves awkward, talks awkward, they develop more physical problems earlier in their life than shorter men.

any man over 6' feet looks awkward, moves awkward, talks awkward, they develop more physical problems earlier in their life than shorter men.
Tell that to high school kids (13-15) who aspire to be very tall.

Tell that to high school kids (13-15) who aspire to be very tall.

I ask them why a majority of Hollywood heros are under 6 feet, the taller ones came and left after their 30s once they developed wobbly legs and couldn't run after bad guys.

Biomechanics can easily be handled to preserve movement by working on building muscle in the younger years as the average loss of muscle mass is 3-8% in a decade (calculated using American study I believe) starting at 30 years of age. And with healthier eating overtime.

Bodies are just accustoming to the greater heights.

However, South Korea’s improved living conditions are a harsh contrast to North Korea. For half of the 20th century, the south and north were one country. Heights in those two regions were nearly identical. So what happened to human height in North Korea after an authoritarian regime took over and closed off its borders?
So what happened to north korean hieght ? the post asks the question but does not seem to answer it.

Turns out it is roughly the same. The figure given our which is one or two cms lower is also derived by measuring north korean migrants to south korea. So whats unique about south korea ? nothing really.

So what happened to north korean hieght ? the post asks the question but does not seem to answer it.

Turns out it is roughly the same. The figure given our which is one or two cms lower is also derived by measuring north korean migrants to south korea. So whats unique about south korea ? nothing really.
There isn't enough data on the height of North Koreans to make a comparison but the height of South Koreans has definitely increased thanks to better nutrition, huge increase in living standards and much greater availability of food.

There isn't enough data on the height of North Koreans to make a comparison but the height of South Koreans has definitely increased thanks to better nutrition, huge increase in living standards and much greater availability of food.
I am not disputing the increase in south korean height. But this is being used to put a north vs south korea fight. And i dont see enough information for that.

I am not disputing the increase in south korean height. But this is being used to put a north vs south korea fight. And i dont see enough information for that.
I agree, since there's enough data on the height of North Koreans, a valid comparison can't be made. An incredibly small sample size consisting of North Korean defectors can't be compared with the entire population of South Korea.

Back
Top Bottom