What's new

How Pakistan conquered Indian hearts and minds with Coke Studio

It's not music that I admire the most about Pakistani talent, although Coke Studio is great.

It's satire - and I mean this word in all its nuances.

Somehow I am yet to find very good satire from Indian artists. We do comedy (standup also), drama, action, music, etc quite well, but Pakistani talent somehow manages to come up with brilliant satire. Two examples are Loose Talk and 4ManShow. These were amazing.

Why musicians in Pakistan still make music based on Hindustani Classical Music? Why not invent their own; or make music based on Arabic or Turkish music?

I thought Pakistanis have nothing to do with Indian culture!

Sonia Gandhi once said that Indians would win the hearts and minds of Pakistanis through Bollywood. Today Pakistan has conquered Indian hearts and minds through CS. Indians go as far as pretending that Pakistani songs are theirs and sung in their language. Indians have inundated comment sections of countless Pakistani CS songs. Indians are choreographing and dancing on Pakistani CS songs. That includes Indian women who appreciate Pakistani men and songs. Also read the comments LOL I am just posting one famous song that has conquered India VERY badly. Hindutva are having seizures.

I do not like it when people appropriate someone else's creative endeavours. But you should understand that a vast majority of people in the world are not discerning enough to be able to understand accents, faces, lyrics, cultural nuances to be able to pin point and say 'This is from XYZ country'. Of course there is deliberate and shameless appropriation too, which Bollywood also indulges in, and this should rightly be condemned, even penalized. But there is nothing much you can do about the former.

I have huge respect for Pakistani artists, and artists in general. The thing with India is that the music industry was swallowed by Bollywood a long time ago. The best Indian talent was never in Indian Coke Studio. Every Charlie wanted to perform in Bollywood, which stopped producing decent music around 2010. Current Bollywood music is templatized and songs are cacophonous or indistinguishable from each other. Secondly, Bollywood itself has become a mish mash of many regional styles, like a dish with so many masalas, it doesn't taste like anything.

Lastly, Indian never had a strong band culture. My own theory is that we are too much into hero worshipping and therefore artists also dreamt of becoming matinee idols, instead of working in a group with complementary talents. Your movie industry had abysmally low standards for a long time, and good artists did not want to compose music for them. Their only way out was to have their own platform, which Coke Studio provided them.

I thought Pakistanis have nothing to do with Indian culture!

Wrong. We have nothing to do with extremist Hindutva religious nuts, although nothing against Hinduism as a religion.

Otherwise, Pakistani food, language, dress, customs are all inherited from a shared cultural heritage. India does not have exclusive rights to any of them.

Listen to CS season 14 bro. Xulfi and upcoming producers have produced this season. You will be awestruck. Don't you notice how the Indians aren't reacting to this topic, but only showing up and leaving LOL

Even the Rock + Rap is different this season. And pop songs too.

I find the lyrics of this Rock + Rap song relevant and meaningful, and the music is uplifting, always, a good catharsis for depression and feeling low.

We have amazing musical talent but have failed to capitalize on it. What is missing is the marketing genius of Bollywood or Hollywood, which can market the junkiest junk to the whole world.

Nazia Hasan was huge in South America and K-Pop rules the world, so language itself is not a barrier.

Bollywood is big in many countries but the honest truth no one will admit is that most of its appeal is the soft pr0n dancing targeted at frustrated men in those societies.

Wrong. We have nothing to do with extremist Hindutva religious nuts, although nothing against Hinduism as a religion.

Otherwise, Pakistani food, language, dress, customs are all inherited from a shared cultural heritage. India does not have exclusive rights to any of them.
I don’t think Pakistan have any shared culture with that of India. Pakistan is culturally more close to Arabs. There was a guy here on this forum, I forgot his name, he scientifically proved (with all those fancy charts) that Pakistani DNA finds its origins in the Middle East.

Also, Most of Pakistanis consider themselves as Arabs anyway so Pakistanis should take musical inspiration from Arabs (or may be Turkey) and not from India. I’m sure majority of Pakistanis will agree with me here.

I don’t think Pakistan have any shared culture with that of India. Pakistan is culturally more close to Arabs. There was a guy here on this forum, I forgot his name, he scientifically proved (with all those fancy charts) that Pakistani DNA finds its origins in the Middle East.

Without getting into the merits of such claims, which I am not qualified to debate anyway, what does DNA have to do with culture? People migrated and DNA admixtures occurred throughout history.

According to you, if an Indian or Chinese ethnicity child is born and raised in the US, are they Indian, Chinese, or American? Do you look at their genetics or cultural behavior?

What about the reverse? Indian Parsis from Iran who have lived in India for centuries? Are they not Indian according to you?

Also, Most of Pakistanis consider themselves as Arabs anyway

Most? No, some do and they can speak for themselves, not for all of Pakistan.

P.S. I would love to see you walk up to a Pathan and tell him he's an Arab. LOL. Most of these Pathans are six foot tall and built like a tank.

Also, Most of Pakistanis consider themselves as Arabs anyway so Pakistanis should take musical inspiration from Arabs (or may be Turkey) and not from India. I’m sure majority of Pakistanis will agree with me here.
What are you talking about ?
Indians make genuine original music. ( before 1990)
1656138761429.png

Are they not Indian according to you?
Well I believe everyone living in the Indian sub continent is Indian. I was talking about those who think they have more to do with the Arabs than Indians next door. Apparently, this doesn’t include you.

What are you talking about ?
Indians make genuine original music. ( before 1990)
View attachment 856623

They sure did. Before 1990.
After 1990, some did a better job.

The guy in the pic, however, never copied anyone, he is truly a gem :D

Well I believe everyone living in the Indian sub continent is Indian. I was talking about those who think they have more to do with the Arabs than Indians next door. Apparently, this doesn’t include you.

They sure did. Before 1990.
After 1990, some did a better job.

The guy in the pic, however, never copied anyone, he is truly a gem :D

Music post 1990 is in no comparison to what was created before that.
sure there are some islands of brilliance; but by in large it was crap compared to the 60, 70..
and the bar being set there; the modern music industry is a dwarf.

Coke Studio India is a flop, forget about Coke Studio Pakistan. I don't know about Pakistan but in India probably only the woke studio India watches coke studio India/Pakistan. Rest would have never heard of the same.

Back
Top Bottom