What's new

how often do different ethnic groups marry in Pakistan?

what are the most common inter ethnic marriages?

In my experience it is usually Karachi (Urdu speakerss) and Punjabis marrying each other

But I know lots of Punjabi/Pashtun marriage also take place, especially in cities like Peshawar, Pindi etc...

If you do NOT know then kindly change your flags to your own country :)))) probably bharat.

Looking at my own family:

My paternal grandfather is from Saharanpur, in India, my paternal grandmother was Punjabi. My maternal grandfather was half-Palestinian-Jordanian, half-Russian; my maternal grandmother was from Hyderabad, in India.

So my dad, a Muhajir-Punjabi, married my mom, a Palestino-Jordanio-Russian-Hyderabadi.

Also, my paternal grandfather's second wife was saraiki. My maternal grandmother's second husband was Muhajir-Punjabi. My Muhajir-Punjabi-Hyderabadi maternal half aunt married an Urdu-speaking guy. Two of my Muhajir-saraiki paternal half aunts married Muhajirs. Another one of my Muhajir-Saraiki paternal half aunts married a Punjabi.

So, yeah. I think you get the idea. One of the few good things happening in Pakistani society is that racio-linguo-regional differences no longer define status.

urdu speakers dont intermarry with other communities a lot

i have never seen urdu speakers inter marrying punjabis and others

the major problem is literacy and culture

urdu speakers dont accept the culture of other ethnicities and their educational background is also not encouraging

i told my mother about marrying a good looking pathan girl but that idea was outrageous to her because of many things

the good looking girl is always not enough, many things are taken into consideration

what are the most common inter ethnic marriages?

In my experience it is usually Karachi (Urdu speakerss) and Punjabis marrying each other

But I know lots of Punjabi/Pashtun marriage also take place, especially in cities like Peshawar, Pindi etc...

It happens quite often in cities like Lahore, Also, Punjab is not a single ethnic group, but punjabis are made of many different ethnic groups, Rajputs, Jutts, Arain, Bvtt ( Kashmiris), the list goes on. etc. Punjabis do not give their land their name, but it is the land which gives punjabi their name, e.g Punjab means land of five rivers, anyone who lives in this land of five rivers is a Punjabi regardless of his ethnicity. So we often see in punjab marriages are between different ethnic groups, now even at villege level, people have started to become educated and they marry people of other villeges from a different ethnic group.

As for marriages between broader range of ethnic groups of Pakistan, then I think it is pretty normal in Cities like Lahore, where people from all over Pakistan come to live and become Lahori. Usually these days, in Lahore, people are concerned about middle class marrying middle class, upper class marrying upper class, instead of what ethnic group the other person belongs to.

I am using this upper and lower class quite losely, because it gets a bit more complicated then that, because money aside, educated people like to marry educated people.

PS: The title needs to be corrected as it does not specify inter-marriage or marriage in general also, I can't type b u t t because it gets censored.

I know an Urdu speaking aunty who has asked my mom, meri saari sahelian Punjabi hain, mujhe koi Punjaban bahu dhoond doh.

Well My Grandfather was Awan caste from Punjab, My Grandmother was from Luckhnow. My Mother's family is Kashmiri. So yeah intermarriages among Pakistanis are becoming more and more common. Its good to see that at least many educated Pakistanis are coming out of their tribal mentalities.

urdu speakers dont accept the culture of other ethnicities and their educational background is also not encouraging

i told my mother about marrying a good looking pathan girl but that idea was outrageous to her because of many things

the good looking girl is always not enough, many things are taken into consideration

Abbaiii teriii umeeer kiyaa haii jo shaaadiii kiii baaat kar rahaa thaaa ? :what:

maybe in your MQM circle, but I have known quiet a lot urdu speakers married to Punjabis and even Sindhis, not all punjabi/sindhi/pashtun are paindu, that is only your MQM mentality and thinking. You guys live in a small circle, cut off from reality

maybe in your MQM circle, but I have known quiet a lot urdu speakers married to Punjabis and even Sindhis, not all punjabi/sindhi/pashtun are paindu, that is only your MQM mentality and thinking. You guys live in a small circle, cut off from reality

are you urdu speaker yourself?

Abbaiii teriii umeeer kiyaa haii jo shaaadiii kiii baaat kar rahaa thaaa ? :what:

abay me baalig aadmi hn, he has needs :azn:

Mostly arrange marriages are within same ethnicity as parent mostly go for someone whom they know and who speak same lanaguge with same culture/traditions. Random punjabi guy cannot go to KPK and ask for rishta from a random pathan guy whom he dont even know ...I have seen that in many conservative families they don't even ask consent of women but tell them whom they are going to marry. Inter-ethnic marriage happen in some middle or elite class where people are bit modern. I am in favour of Inter-ethnic marriage and why ethnicity should matter if a person is educated with good nature and personality and have everything you are looking for

WTH are you talking about? Kaunse urdu speakers?
Gulshan-e-Maimar?
Where?

Half of them intermarry all over in the Punjab.. and even in KPK.. some are arranged ...others are love marriages.
People from ANY ethnicity do not like the idea of inter marriages because it gets difficult for the girl to adjust and for the family to adjust around the girl. A lot of places bias is involved... for example certain Pathan families may not like marrying into the Peshawari Shehris because they are "Kharian"(for god knows why?)..
Point being..education and literacy has nothing to do with it and Urdu speakers arent the only snotty nosed walkers in this country.
It just depends on the family and their "traditions(read biases)". But nowadays with free hearts and sms packages.. along with the elopement chances, availability of contraception and car window shades.. inter-marriages are getting more and more common.

Back
Top Bottom