What's new

how often do different ethnic groups marry in Pakistan?

Yes. Marriages in own community is natural in our state. Especially in middle class and lower class societies. How ever inter-caste marriages do happen (even in villages). They rarely receive support from families and relatives.
How do family members react for inter-caste marriages in Pakistan. ?? Are there any inter-caste marriages in villages in Pakistan ??
And are there any honor killings. ?

Yes. Marriages in own community is natural in our state. Especially in middle class and lower class societies. How ever inter-caste marriages do happen (even in villages). They rarely receive support from families and relatives.
How do family members react for inter-caste marriages in Pakistan. ?? Are there any inter-caste marriages in villages in Pakistan ??

There is no caste system in Pakistan.

There is no caste system in Pakistan, there are only ethnic groups. Also, this thread is not about caste system or India, so lets stick to the topic and not derail this thread.

the urdu speakers as far as i know, i havent heard of any punjabi relatives nor sindhi nor pashtun, nor baloch etc

i mean i live in karachi so i know things around me

So did I, and there are lots where it happens. It just depends on your surroundings and which neighborhood you are from.
So if you are from a community or attend a college where there are more people from the UP/Bihar/Chittagong areas.. then definitely you will not encounter them. But otherwise its fairly common now.
It was not so before when there were absolute arranged marriages but today its more and more common.
Moreover, there is a fairly noticeable populous in Punjab which is not essentially Punjabi by genetics but from UP. In addition there were families in UP who were essentially migrants from the Yousafzai and other tribes. So the whole ethnicity thing is actually quite messed up. Many of the racist/purist here on the forum fail to realize how many of them are essentially descendants of races that originated elsewhere.

I don't think I have heard of it before.

There are still many people who dont marry out of their caste... although its not like india... where they have untouchables or low castes who cant go into high caste peoples houses etc...

There are still many people who dont marry out of their caste... although its not like india... where they have untouchables or low castes who cant go into high caste peoples houses etc...

I think we often times mistranslates zaat for caste, instead of ethnicity. Punjab is quite diverse in ethnicity, e.g, Rajput, Jutt, Arain, B,utt (Kashmiris), and more. Usually villages of one ethnicity group would not marry another ethnic group, but I think that is changing now, as education is reaching rural population, they have started to marry villages of other ethnicities as well. In cities, its pretty normal.

How ever calling these ethnic groups "caste" is wrong, because caste is a completely different thing.

I have mentioned this before in my previous post.

in rural areas probably not so much but in large cities e.g. Peshawar, Lahore, Isloo/Pindi and of course Karachi it is quite wide-spread

in fact a full-time career journalist friend of mine (very bright and talented) belongs to a typical Urdu speaking family (originally of Parsi background) and she married to a guy from Mingora (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa)

her Pashto isn't 100% but she's dramatically improved....

I have a cousin who did medical school in Belarus (former soviet republic) and he brough his wife back to Peshawar. Initially was such a culture shock. Now she (the wife) speaks Pashto as good as I do -- Urdu also. She teachers fashion studies at some school -- wont name which one for her own privacy. Though that doesnt count because she's not from a Pakistani ethnic group.

the mixture of groups is a great thing for national cohesion and its going on for some time now.

the whole cousins marrying cousins thing is un-healthy and such a backwards practice. Even I have some family members who did it in the past and I'm ashamed of that. For health reasons, it's the worst thing you can do. But then again, some call me a "forward thinker" for better or for worse

Happens a lot and and those days of brathary marriages are long gone. I would say in the metropolitan Pakistan 25% marriages are intra-ethnic.

Back
Top Bottom