What's new

How Kargil was defused - Testimony from Pakistan Embassy in Washington

I want to be blunt about what his job was, based on his own description: to "spin" whatever information reached the press in Pakistan's favor, not to supply information to the foreign press.

"Higher level"? Whether it comes from a minister or a reporter, all information from inside an embassy has to have sources there. Not all officers in an embassy are placed to provide it to both foreign journalists and domestic leaders. In Pakistan's case I can think of only three: the press officer, the ambassador, and the chargé d'affaires.

I will treat the author's story as something more than just another self-serving tale when there is evidence that traces to a second source that backs this up.

4. What do you hope to get out by hinting at (seemingly nonexistent) controversy?I hope to educate yourself and others to be more skeptical and less easily duped.

This is confirmed both by Bruce Riedel and Strobe Talbott. Their account:

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif kicked off the meeting from his brief to
internationalise the Kashmir issue; he pleaded with Clinton to devote more
attention to it. He said that if Clinton would devote just one percent of the time and
energy he had put into the Middle East in South Asia, there would be no crisis. He
argued that India was to blame for the crisis, since it had carried out an incursion of
its own 15 years earlier, in Siachen.

Clinton rejected Sharif’s depiction of India as an instigator of the crisis. He pointed
out that the Indian Prime Minister had been more than flexible in going to Lahore –
he had taken a “risk for peace”
(a phrase that Clinton had used to describe Yitzhak
Rabin of Israel).

Clinton laid his cards on the table early: “If you want me to be able to do anything
with the Indians, I’ve got to have some leverage. Only withdrawal will bring this
crisis to an end.” He also said that a Pakistani military pullback across the line had to
be without any links to American diplomatic intervention in the Kashmir dispute: “I
can’t publicly or privately pretend you’re withdrawing in return for my agreeing to
be an intermediary. The result will be war. Plus, I’ll have sanctioned you having
crossed the line of control. I can’t let it appear that you held a gun to our head by
moving across the line.”

Sharif responded from his brief: “I’m prepared to help resolve the current crisis in
Kargil, that India must commit to resolve the larger issue in a specific timeframe”
that is, negotiate a settlement on Kashmir under the pressure of a Pakistani
imposed, US‐ sanctioned deadline.

Clinton was furious: “if I were the Indian Prime Minister, I’d never do that. I’d be
crazy to do it. It would be nuclear blackmail. If you proceed with this line, I’ll have no
leverage with them… I’ll be stripped of all influence with the Indians. I’m not – and
the Indians are not – going to let you get away with blackmail, and I’ll not permit any
characterisation of this meeting that suggests I’m giving in to blackmail.”

Clinton quoted from John Keegan’s The First World War, which he was reading. He
said that European generals and politicians had stumbled into world war once military plans went into autopilot and the diplomats couldn’t do anything about it. It was important not to get into a position in which India felt that because of what Pakistan had done, it had to cross the line of control itself. “That would be very dangerous. I genuinely believe you could get into a nuclear war by accident.”

Clinton said that he had just a year and a half left in office and he was committed to
working with India and Pakistan. “If you announce you’re withdrawing in response
to my agreeing to mediate, India will escalate before you even get home, and we will
be a step closer to nuclear war.
If you hold out for a date certain for the resolution of
the Kashmir dispute, you would have made a terrible mistake in coming here…What
I’m prepared to support, however is a resumption and intensification of the Lahore
process and a commitment on the part of the US to work hard on this.”
Sharif repeated that he was trying to work out a deal with India that would feature
the trade‐off between Pakistani withdrawal and a timetable for resolution of
Kashmir. It was clear that Sharif needed a face‐saver to show back home that he had
achieved something beyond an unconditional surrender over Kargil.
When Clinton asked Sharif if he understood how far along his military was in
preparing nuclear‐armed missiles for possible use in a war against India, Sharif
seemed genuinely surprised. Clinton invoked the Cuban missile crisis, which had
been a formative experience for him (he was 16 at the time). Now India and
Pakistan were similarly on the edge of a precipice. It would be catastrophic if even
one bomb were to be used.

At this point, President Clinton returned to the offensive. ‘He said that they were
getting nowhere. Fearing that result, he had a statement ready to release to the
press in time for the evening news shows that would lay all the blame for the crisis on Pakistan
. He said that having listened to Sharif’s complaints against the US, he had a list of his own, and it started with terrorism. Pakistan was the principal sponsor of the Taliban, which in turn had allowed Osama Bin Laden to run his worldwide network out of Afghanistan. Clinton had asked Sharif repeatedly to cooperate in bringing Osama to justice. The statement the US would make to the
press would mention Pakistan’s role in supporting terrorism in Afghanistan – and,
through its backing of Kashmiri militants, in India as well.’

Clinton was by now deep in the throes of coercive diplomacy: with ‘his face flushed,
eyes narrowed, lips pursed, cheek muscles pulsing, fists clenched,’ he said it was
‘crazy enough for Sharif to have let his military violate the Line of Control, start a
border war with India, and now prepare nuclear forces for action. On top of that he
had put Clinton in the middle of the mess and set him up for diplomatic failure.’
Sharif seemed beaten. He denied he had given any orders with regard to nuclear
weaponry and said he was worried for his life.

After the break in negotiations, Clinton briefed Prime Minister Vajpayee. Now that
the US had made the maximum use of the ‘bad statement’ they had prepared in
advance‐the stick, it was time to deploy the good one, to dangle the carrots.
Clinton’s team cobbled together a new version of the good statement incorporating
some of the Pakistani language from the paper that Sharif claimed was in play
bilaterally between India and Pakistan. But the key sentence in the new document
was added by the US and it focused on the primary objective of the US from the
talks: “the Prime Minister has agreed to take concrete and immediate steps for the restoration of the line of control.” The paper called for a ceasefire but only after the
Pakistanis were back on their side of the line. It also reaffirmed President Clinton’s
long‐standing plan to visit South Asia. To this draft, Sharif and the Pakistan team
requested just one addition: a promise that Clinton would take a personal interest in
encouraging an expeditious resumption and intensification of the bilateral efforts
(that is, the Lahore process) once the sanctity of the line of control had been fully
restored. This was acceptable to the US and the meeting came to a happy end

This is confirmed both by Bruce Riedel and Strobe Talbott. Their account:

In the end world, saw how hard rock clinton was,jst a gril made him cry on the channels,in front of the whole american nation?
That show how stupid & self serviving was nawaz sharif,how week was he?
& just think about, how he gives all the credit to himself for doing the big bangs in chaghi?lol
Self projection is the motive, & more thn that the fear commando comming back?lol lol lol
It also shows how sick he becomes these,days & how fear is gripping him again!
Jst a thought!

Let me say lucky nations have good capable leaders at critical times of their histories, we had Zias and Mushies at Such times. How unfortunate we are!

In very simple words possible Pakistan was winning the war & Nawaz Sharif screwed up big time. I don’t know why people have forgotten everything & all the media coverage which had proved that Pakistan was winning the Kargil war & most importantly I don’t know why people have forgotten that it was India who went running crying to US for help.

Now since there is a corrupt Govt. in Pakistan so our enemies are trying their best to make these corrupt politicians read their corrupt scripts the right way.

In the end world, saw how hard rock clinton was,jst a gril made him cry on the channels,in front of the whole american nation?
That show how stupid & self serviving was nawaz sharif,how week was he?
& just think about, how he gives all the credit to himself for doing the big bangs in chaghi?lol
Self projection is the motive, & more thn that the fear commando comming back?lol lol lol
It also shows how sick he becomes these,days & how fear is gripping him again!
Jst a thought!

Bats Indians will never admit anything & there are some PML-N fans who will not accept kuta Nawaz's fault. The Army was winning & kuta Nawaz screwed it all up.

Nice thread you say? It is not. Just looking at Indian trolling, I think I made a mistake. Top it off with crackpot posts by @batmannow and we have a mudslinging Mela of sorts.

Seems like people (not you Ayush) enjoy scoring worthless points and using bad language to deal with s*** in their lives. Truth is hardly ever the real issue. Has anyone from among the Indians showed even an iota of concern about Indian jingoism in Siachen and the resulting deaths over the three decades? How important is the possesion of that frozen hell?

If you really look at it closely Kargil was the answer for Siachen. The moral fibre of the generals involved was too weak to be forthright about it. Had truth been told, I would have boldly defended the incursion, damn the diplomatic pressure. But I just can not bring myself to support a pack of lies.

Lahore process should have been taken to its conclusion. But the PML government under Nawaz Sharif hurried a process that should have taken a few more months to at least inform the public opinion, if not actually mould it. Bad situation all around.

This thread shows what people are prepared to do in the name of Nationalism. There is no humanity in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
In very simple words possible Pakistan was winning the war & Nawaz Sharif screwed up big time. I don’t know why people have forgotten everything & all the media coverage which had proved that Pakistan was winning the Kargil war & most importantly I don’t know why people have forgotten that it was India who went running crying to US for help.

Now since there is a corrupt Govt. in Pakistan so our enemies are trying their best to make these corrupt politicians read their corrupt scripts the right way.

Bats Indians will never admit anything & there are some PML-N fans who will not accept kuta Nawaz's fault. The Army was winning & kuta Nawaz screwed it all up.

This is quite a frightening post to read.

The poster flat out ignores the original post, and what it shows, and stubbornly clings on to what he wants to know: Pakistan was winning, India went to Washington, the politicians got suckered into giving up a winning proposition.

In the face of such stupidity, the only reaction possible is fear.

Nice thread you say? It is not. Just looking at Indian trolling, I think I made a mistake. Top it off with crackpot posts by @batmannow and we have a mudslinging Mela of sorts.

Seems like people (not you Ayush) enjoy scoring worthless points and using bad language to deal with s*** in their lives. Truth is hardly ever the real issue. Has anyone from among the Indians showed even an iota of concern about Indian jingoism in Siachen and the resulting deaths over the three decades? How important is the possesion of that frozen hell?

If you really look at it closely Kargil was the answer for Siachen. The moral fibre of the generals involved was too weak to be forthright about it. Had truth been told, I would have boldly defended the incursion, damn the diplomatic pressure. But I just can not bring myself to support a pack of lies.

Lahore process should have been taken to its conclusion. But the PML government under Nawaz Sharif hurried a process that should have taken a few more months to at least inform the public opinion, if not actually mould it. Bad situation all around.

This thread shows what people are prepared to do in the name of Nationalism. There is no humanity in it.

And now, I will say-
Nice post mate.

And as for the trolls, you have to bear them or ignore them

In very simple words possible Pakistan was winning the war & Nawaz Sharif screwed up big time. ..............

....The Army was winning & kuta Nawaz screwed it all up.

Yeah right, the Pakistani Army was so subservient to civilian control that they withdrew from a "winning" position but yet a few months on, they overthrew the civilian government for sacking the CoAS. Guess losing a "winning" war is less important than holding on to one's position.....

Yeah right, the Pakistani Army was so subservient to civilian control that they withdrew from a "winning" position but yet a few months on, they overthrew the civilian government for sacking the CoAS. Guess losing a "winning" war is less important than holding on to one's position.....

Sir, you could have ignored the stupid comment. I routinely ignore such rubbish and trust that sensible people are capable of sifting through a mix of propaganda and truth to understand what actually went on. As for trolls, they are dime a dozen. You can not waste your time answering rubbish posts.

You mean to say that this line by Clinton “If you announce you’re withdrawing in response to my agreeing to mediate, India will escalate before you even get home, and we will be a step closer to nuclear war" means we ran to USA for help??

or

Do u think Nawaz Sharif went to USA as a victor with benevolent character who gave away a winning war??

or Do u say all these articles are bogus??

How can a person with simple reading skills not understand this?? u know i mean for every psychologist out there, explaining the phenomena of Pakistan Army's popularity in Pakistan will be a true achievement of his career?? On this front i think Pakistan's armed forces have left behind even the most popular governments in the world!!!!

I am sorry you are so disappointed at what was actually one of the sober, mature posts that should set the tone for all of us.

It is not clear to me what Indian trolling you are referring to. If you are referring to the posts which express a sense of vindication - "We were right all along" - surely you can understand that some of the younger elements who have been pressed hard on this point might address the odd indignant glare or two at their tormentors.

About Siachen, a veteran recently asked me on another thread what would happen if both countries were asked, or sought on their own to apologise to each other. After a very short discussion, we both agreed that a detailed reverse charge-sheet on both sides was hardly the answer, and it was time to move on. At some stage, if we don't cut loose from these threads from the past that are threatening to strangle us, they will strangle us. The Indian Army, for instance, does not think that Siachen was the starting point; it thinks that Haji Pir Pass was. And so on, backwards into time....

Once again, please continue. We may have our differences of mind and different perspectives, but that will also lead to lively discussions. If you can overlook the occasional bêtise.

Back
Top Bottom