What's new

How can India be a superpower if it can't even build a bridge?

Howrah-Bridge-Kolkata.jpg

The Real Marvel Is The Howrah Bridge,This bridge is one of the largest cantilever bridges in the world and the largest cantilever bridge in India....

Do the chinese have their own version of CPC Discovery Channel??? :bunny::bunny:

Our bridge is build by Hindustan Construction Company.

I was only half correct. I found the video, but I don't know how to post it. An Indian company built it, but it also imported Chinese experts for its construction.

Look, bottom line - this was criminal, absolutely criminal - and STUPID - with the entire project being a prestige project that such idiot failures occurred, well, it's a terrible blow to prestige - now if such excellent bridges can be built in India, why the heck was some company that did such a terrible job chosen to build this bridge??

I used to think Pakistanis were "dheelay" - but you guys take the cake, that everyone involved (check pockets) will pretty much leave a single guy holding the bag, is well, I don't have the words, it's incredible.

Look, bottom line - this was criminal, absolutely criminal - and STUPID - with the entire project being a prestige project that such idiot failures occurred, well, it's a terrible blow to prestige - now if such excellent bridges can be built in India, why the heck was some company that did such a terrible job chosen to build this bridge??

I used to think Pakistanis were "dheelay" - but you guys take the cake, that everyone involved (check pockets) will pretty much leave a single guy holding the bag, is well, I don't have the words, it's incredible.

sir, the bridge that has fallen was a small bridge and in India dozens of company builds that type of bridge.

Plz, try to understand that it was a under construction bridge that have fallen due to a accident at the project site.

This does not have anything to do with quality of material or experts.

I agree with you muse, as far as the bridge related CWG is concerned its a shame.

howvere that bridge will not decide if we are power or not. Peopel have tendency to forget, things get wiped out in seconds. CWG will also be forgotten, and it better be-)...

sir, the bridge that has fallen was a small bridge and in India dozens of company builds that type of bridge.

Plz, try to understand that it was a under construction bridge that have fallen due to a accident at the project site.

This does not have anything to do with quality of material or experts.

aaaa!its just a footover bridge under construction.. And this type of bridge in common and called as sky walk in mumbai and new bombay .. The contractors are mostly locals not sum top notch one, so its not dozen but thousands contractors do this kinda small job..

The babus slept over it since 2003 or whenever the games were allotted to India. Now they are at panic stations.

Civil construction timing can only be telescoped thru new technology and here if cement needs X No of days / hours to set it is not being allowed . why babus, even engineers are not showing spine.

9 women cannot produce a baby in one month.What needs time will take time.

I was only half correct. I found the video, but I don't know how to post it. An Indian company built it, but it also imported Chinese experts for its construction.

indian company subcontracted the the hardest part of the bridge to chinese company.

The China Harbour Engineering (Group) Co., the main sub-contractor for the Bandra-Worli Sea Link Project, has been asked to delay commencement of work by a year. This could postpone the commissioning of the sea link till at least 2004. The CHEC group, which was awarded the contract for constructing the 500-m long cable-stayed bridge and the 170-m high tower by HCC in November 2000, was scheduled to start work last October.

According to company sources, the project, which involves importing the required cables and bringing in about 60 technical staff from China, will take two years to complete.

*ttp://www.projectsmonitor.com/detailnews.asp?newsid=3165

I never realized that the Indian Superpowerhood was just a bridge construction away. If that bridge had not fallen India would be regarded as the Superpower and the world would be sitting at our feet. Alas!! Margar yeh ho na saka.

So we will not claim - and it has never been claimed by India, that we are a superpower. But coming this close to Superpowerhood must have elevated India's status as regional power - atleast in author's books.

We have read several anti-superpower peices - which are basically straw-men argument. It (Regional / Super power status has never claimed by India (Apart from some jingoistic bloggers maybe). This is a good way to bash India - Stick on a label and throw the kitchen sink at it defying it.

You shallowness of logic is amazing, yet not surprising to many of us anymore.

It is not an ordinary bridge, like those collapsed in China, Canada, or USA. It is a bridge symbolizing the pride of a shinning India who is hosting the glorious and to-be-better-than-Beijing-Olympics CWG, much hypered by so many proud Indian patriots, and therefore (must, I guess) having mobilized their best resources for it. Otherwise, why do you big-mouth it if you don’t give a high expectation?

Hypothetically, suppose you deploy a high valued Su-30 along China, or Carriers in Ocean, in an attempt to defend your country. You regard that as the highest stake. You trust your authorities. You risk your sons’ and brothers’ lives. You contribute your tax monies, enduring price hike from Russia, feeding your soldier, training the operators, maintaining the equipment, and tolerating your corrupted officials... You then hyper this and that. On the day when your enemy invade, your Su-30 are shot down, your carriers are sunk…

Now you trust your authorities with the bridge and ceilling, but they fail you.

People here are talking about deep core values beneath the phenomena of bridges and ceilings. The core values a power, be it super or not, regional or global, must possess.

All non-mentally-challenged will feel that once they cast their eyes on the thought-provoking, albeit inflammatory, title.

What? India doesn't want to be a regional superpower? :woot: Just because the collaps of a bridge? :rofl: If India doesn't want to be a regional superpower, it is not India! Period!

...Well, one more thing learnt about an Indian's mouth... :lol:

This is not just any ordinary bridge. India's entire reputation and prestige rests on a successful CWG which the collapsed bridge and ceiling has now done immense damage to.

You shallowness of logic is amazing, yet not surprising to many of us anymore.

It is not an ordinary bridge, like those collapsed in China, Canada, or USA. It is a bridge symbolizing the pride of a shinning India who is hosting the glorious and to-be-better-than-Beijing-Olympics CWG, much hypered by so many proud Indian patriots, and therefore (must, I guess) having mobilized their best resources for it. Otherwise, why do you big-mouth it if you don’t give a high expectation?

Hypothetically, suppose you deploy a high valued Su-30 along China, or Carriers in Ocean, in an attempt to defend your country. You regard that as the highest stake. You trust your authorities. You risk your sons’ and brothers’ lives. You contribute your tax monies, enduring price hike from Russia, feeding your soldier, training the operators, maintaining the equipment, and tolerating your corrupted officials... You then hyper this and that. On the day when your enemy invade, your Su-30 are shot down, your carriers are sunk…

Now you trust your authorities with the bridge and ceilling, but they fail you.

People here are talking about deep core values beneath the phenomena of bridges and ceilings. The core values a power, be it super or not, regional or global, must possess.

All non-mentally-challenged will feel that once they cast their eyes on the thought-provoking, albeit inflammatory, title.

What? India doesn't want to be a regional superpower? :woot: Just because the collaps of a bridge? :rofl: If India doesn't want to be a regional superpower, it is not India! Period!

...Well, one more thing learnt about an Indian's mouth... :lol:

I don't understand the point you are trying to make. But yes. Indians have big mouth and it pisses people off.

India is definitely a regional power because it is by far the biggest economically and militarily in South Asia and it has always been.
As far as the "superpower hood" it is poised to become one some time in future though the term is corny and revolting to me. The US is one of the worst performers among the developed nations in so many indexes. So would you deny it the power and give it to a better performing country like Switzerland or Norway which have performed far better than US ?

You should not make decisions based on the speeches of few Indians. By the way, the super power brag has its pros and cons.
Cons are obvious. It irritates people and they start finding faults in the country to prove it otherwise. some people might settle with their mediocre performance for, we are already a 'super power'. Indians look like jerks in front of others.

The pros are that the people have grown confident and they are believing that India and Indians can really achieve something globally for the first time. Brain Drain has reduced and investment has risen.

It is not an ordinary bridge, like those collapsed in China, Canada, or USA. It is a bridge symbolizing the pride of a shinning India
![/B]

I have read this written by so many India bashers here - regarding the fallen foot-over bridge which was the symbol of pride of india and blah blah. One question, it is not the ONLY bridge that we constructed for the buildup towards CWG. we have made many flyovers, foot-over bridges, new metro train routes and many other huge construction projects in the past couple of years in preparation for CWG. and the ONLY fallen one is being associated with Indian pride. What about the rest? I got it- they brought down the pride and ego of India bashers like you, by not falling.

This is not just any ordinary bridge. India's entire reputation and prestige rests on a successful CWG which the collapsed bridge and ceiling has now done immense damage to.

I don't think the entire reputation will be lost due to such incident, It's the mistakes from which we learn. And some of the countries have already shown their support regardless of all the events occurred.

This is the first time we are organizing CWG and I'm definitely sure our people will learn something out of all this.

At least we have the courage and capability to organize such an huge event. :P

Back
Top Bottom