What's new

'Horrible': Christian churches throughout Egypt stormed, torched

And the Christians support al-Qaeda against Egypt and Syria

good good now taste the rebound effect

I'll make you eat those words and considering the frequency of explosions and drone attacks in Pakistan i reckon you won't have to wait that long.

One might even say that the army's crackdown and the pain inflicted on the islamists is actually Divine retribution for their heinous act of burning Holy Places like mad rabid dogs.God doesn't hit you with a stick you know....

My complaint is not so much about the Pope but the fact that this military coup is supported by wealthy businessmen who are Mubarak loyalists. Many of them happen to be Copts, and the media narrative is that Morsi supporters are "Islamists" because that's how you sell your cause to the global media: paint your opponents as "Islamists".

In effect this has turned into a religious war and the blame for putting religion at the center of the debate lies with the Mubarak loyalists controlling the media.

hm, that's news to me (i'm not saying i think it's a lie), and indicates a more complicated situation in Egypt than I was previously aware of. I can imagine those coptic businessmen in control of the media supporting this coup because they fear the muslim brotherhood would trample on coptic minority rights (or their business interests (as well) perhaps). I have heard reports about how the morsi muslim brotherhood government was more interested in passing reforms towards an islamic society rather than focus on improving the economy for all Egyptians..
What do you think about this? I'm truly interested.

One might even say that the army's crackdown and the pain inflicted on the islamists is actually Divine retribution for their heinous act of burning Holy Places like mad rabid dogs.God doesn't hit you with a stick you know....

what Holy places did the muslim brotherhood / morsi supporters burn down?....

Great!! Since they killed some Muslims in Indonesia, kill some Christians in Egypt..

The length people go to justify the acts some some!!

revenge sows (and surely reaps) revenge back onto your own, folks!

hm, that's news to me (i'm not saying i think it's a lie), and indicates a more complicated situation in Egypt than I was previously aware of. I can imagine those coptic businessmen in control of the media supporting this coup because they fear the muslim brotherhood would trample on coptic minority rights (or their business interests (as well) perhaps). I have heard reports about how the morsi muslim brotherhood government was more interested in passing reforms towards an islamic society rather than focus on improving the economy for all Egyptians..
What do you think about this? I'm truly interested.

I am not saying Copts control the media. I am saying Mubarak loyalists control the media, and some percentage of them happen to be Copts. One of the main financiers of the Tamarod movement is a wealthy media mogul who happens to be a Mubarak loyalist and also a Copt.

As for your second point, yes, their concerns is both about Coptic rights, as well as selfish reason to return to the good old Mubarak days.

Your final point is also true. The Morsi regime was guilty of abuse of power, but they pulled back a bit. Morsi himself actually became much more moderate after election and rejected the extremist elements of his own party. One of his Sunni ministers resigned because he felt Morsi was too friendly to Shia Iran. Others didn't like his peaceful guarantees to Jewish Israel.

The Morsi government wasn't perfect, but it was the first step in the evolution from dictatorship to representative democracy. Now the army has taken the country back to the bad old days.

I guess it would be 'any place or building where people gather to worship God(=Allah, in my view)'.

Well for me is a House of God,a Holy Place and defiling is a capital sin.Btw,i think the same about Mosques and Synagogues,we might have different customs,pray differently but we all follow one God and we should expect repect for the places where He is worshipped.The MB members are burning His houses down and there is no wonder that they get what they get in return.

revenge sows (and surely reaps) revenge back onto your own, folks!

Am not sure about it!! Those who killed muslims in Indonesia get away with it and those who killed Christians here also get away with it.. Both time, it was innocents who got killed.. What sowing and reaping are we talking about.. Its like innocents are reaping what radicals sows!!

Your final point is also true. The Morsi regime was guilty of abuse of power, and they pulled back a bit. Morsi himself actually became much more moderate after election and rejected the extremist elements of his own party. One of his ministers resigned because he felt Morsi was too kind to Iran. Others didn't like his peaceful guarantees to Israel.

Then I'll say Morsi (and the Egyptian muslim brotherhood) was/were actually good enough to be allowed to finish the term for which they were elected.
That also solidifies (in my mind at least) my viewpoint that this coup by the Egyptian military and Mubarak clan is an illegal one.

The Morsi government wasn't perfect, but it was the first step in the evolution from dictatorship to representative democracy. Now the army has taken the country back to the bad old days.

Eventually the military has to allow democratic elections again. I'd advise the Egyptian muslim brotherhood not to start a civil war by large outdoor demonstrations, but rather patiently await the next elections, and participate in those again, perhaps with more promises to work on economic opportunties for all Egyptians as well as state protection for minorities.

This military coup is all about reinstating the Mubarak regime under the guise of "democracy".

I actually thought it is more of the U.S. preferring the theory of democracy in the ME than the actual practice. I would need convincing to be made to believe that the Egyptian military whose bills are paid by the U.S. would have carried out this coup if they thought the U.S. was going to be displeased by their actions The U.S. was not an active particpant in the coup but they certainly didn't side with democracy, not here. Plenty of blame to go around. I actually feel sorry for the MB here. They messed up badly in what they thought they could do but that was the plate they were presented with. Not their fault that safeguards were not factored in. They behaved true to character unfortunately but they did it through democratic processes and they thought that it was enough. Maybe a new beginning was required but this has been nothing short of disaster. Blood of so many innocents is too high a price to pay, especially when the end result will be more strife. This is simply no way to build a democratic character. I fear that in Egypt,democracy is going to be anything but, for a very long time. The price to remove Morsi & the MB has been democracy itself, that in my view, is too high a price to have paid.

I'll make you eat those words and considering the frequency of explosions and drone attacks in Pakistan i reckon you won't have to wait that long.

:))) well the Christians from NATO claim that they are against terrorism how come they support same terrorists against Egypt and Syria then?

Then I'll say Morsi (and the Egyptian muslim brotherhood) was/were actually good enough to be allowed to finish the term for which they were elected.
That also solidifies (in my mind at least) my viewpoint that this coup by the Egyptian military and Mubarak clan is an illegal one.
Eventually the military has to allow democratic elections again. I'd advise the Egyptian muslim brotherhood not to start a civil war by large outdoor demonstrations, but rather patiently await the next elections, and participate in those again, perhaps with more promises to work on economic opportunties for all Egyptians as well as state protection for minorities.

He doesn't mention the MB controlled media, which was taken off air when the coup began and he also doesn't mention Morsi's administration trying to take over the all Egypt's media when they were in power.

Don't ever believe him, he never tells the whole story.

He doesn't mention the MB controlled media, which was taken off air when the coup began and he also doesn't mention Morsi's administration trying to take over the all Egypt's media when they were in power.

Don't ever believe him, he never tells the whole story.

If this (quoted in bold) is true, then it would account for the mubarak and coptic media moguls supporting the coup..

I actually thought it is more of the U.S. preferring the theory of democracy in the ME than the actual practice. I would need convincing to be made to believe that the Egyptian military whose bills are paid by the U.S. would have carried out this coup if they thought the U.S. was going to be displeased by their actions The U.S. was not an active particpant in the coup but they certainly didn't side with democracy, not here. Plenty of blame to go around. I actually feel sorry for the MB here. They messed up badly in what they thought they could do but that was the plate they were presented with. Not their fault that safeguards were not factored in. They behaved true to character unfortunately but they did it through democratic processes and they thought that it was enough. Maybe a new beginning was required but this has been nothing short of disaster. Blood of so many innocents is too high a price to pay, especially when the end result will be more strife. This is simply no way to build a democratic character. I fear that in Egypt,democracy is going to be anything but, for a very long time. The price to remove Morsi & the MB has been democracy itself, that in my view, is too high a price to have paid.

There was a report about how US aid money "for promoting democracy" was actually directed to anti-Morsi elements in Egypt, but the US didn't need to play a prominent role. The Saudis and local Mubarak loyalists (who are wealthy and control the media) did all the heavy lifting.

There will be the usual attempt to whitewash history and paint a sanitized picture but, when the facts of this military coup get revealed, it will create blowback for the Saudis. Remember they had offered to save Mubarak back during the Arab Spring.

Not that the MB were economic geniuses to start with, but they were handed a basket case economy: Mubarak and his cronies had been pocketing US aid money and had nothing to show for it when he was dumped. There is no way the MB could have revived the economy, especially given the global economic slump, and the Mubarak loyalists used every excuse -- real and imagined -- to unseat democracy and justify their coup.

Back
Top Bottom