What's new

Hong Kong protests proves that China soft power is non existent.

Not being liked by the west, but gaining popularity around the world year on year.

China's Leadership Gains Global Admirers - Gallup News
https://news.gallup.com/poll/247196/china-leadership-gains-global-admirers.aspx

U.S. Leadership Falls Further Behind China In Global Regard, Gallup Poll Finds
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/28/6991...hind-china-in-global-regard-gallup-poll-finds

That's because the American govt are a bunch of assholes and shitheads. Trump is a loud mouthed narcissistic asshole so that's caused America's score to drop.

But this doesn't translate on a soft power level. Chinese tourists and visitors to other countries are usually disliked because they do not interact and befriend the locals, instead they keep to themselves and ignore local cultures, not to mention some of the rural peasants have horrible manners, but I understand they are a minority.

America is mixed race immigration country, China is not. No meaning to praise American culture as if its universal value.

the real world is hierarchical, like it or not. American as a whole think themselves higher and behave very rude to the world.

Not really. Americans are actually pretty friendly and easygoing dealing with other peoples. Americans are usually pretty honest in general, that's why they often get ripped off or scammed easily going to other countries.

The American govt is arrogant and a bunch of assholes, I agree. But Americans on the whole are pretty fair and easygoing.

Chinese tourists and visitors to other countries are usually disliked because they do not interact and befriend the locals, instead they keep to themselves and ignore local cultures, not to mention some of the rural peasants have horrible manners, but I understand they are a minority.
They are very much missed if they stop going, ask Korea.

US destinations scramble to win back Chinese tourists
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/pol...stinations-scramble-win-back-chinese-tourists

Those are the business owners. I'm talking about the people who actually deal with them.
People get jobs and money from those tourists, once they are gone, local livelihood would be affected, businesses are also for the people, they are all in one.

People get jobs and money from those tourists, once they are gone, local livelihood would be affected, businesses are also for the people, they are all in one.

Because you make money from a customer doesn't mean you like the customer.

If China was well liked, it would be able to accomplish a lot more having a lot of allies everywhere. You can only get so much influence with your wallet.

Because you make money from a customer doesn't mean you like the customer.
Sure, but do you want to have customers or not?

You can claim that the whole world hate Chinese tourists, but the reality is every single country in this world is fighting to get as many of them as they can.

Sure, but do you want to have customers or not?

You can claim that the whole world hate Chinese tourists, but the reality is every single country in this world is fighting to get as many of them as they can.

Yeah, it's hypocrisy because the governments and businesses want them but the locals all dislike them because many of the Chinese tourists do not know how to interact with the locals and it makes them unlikeable.

That's because the American govt are a bunch of assholes and shitheads. Trump is a loud mouthed narcissistic asshole so that's caused America's score to drop.

But this doesn't translate on a soft power level. Chinese tourists and visitors to other countries are usually disliked because they do not interact and befriend the locals, instead they keep to themselves and ignore local cultures, not to mention some of the rural peasants have horrible manners, but I understand they are a minority.

Not really. Americans are actually pretty friendly and easygoing dealing with other peoples. Americans are usually pretty honest in general, that's why they often get ripped off or scammed easily going to other countries.

The American govt is arrogant and a bunch of assholes, I agree. But Americans on the whole are pretty fair and easygoing.
You do knew deep state, don't you? American government is elected through so called democracy process and by American people.

If you raise a dog which behave very badly, people will think you are not nice person neither. Americans select congress and president (actually it's not), and Americans politicians are so bad, it means the nation is bad as well.

That's what I observe in my 14 years in America. Americans are so hypocrisy, I can hardly tolerate day by day.

Yeah, it's hypocrisy because the governments and businesses want them but the locals all dislike them because many of the Chinese tourists do not know how to interact with the locals and it makes them unlikeable.
You are speaking for the world again, you are just yourself, how come you can't just get it. Ask all the countries to ban Chinese customers and see if they listen to you.

You do knew deep state, don't you? American government is elected through so called democracy process and by American people.

If you raise a dog which behave very badly, people will think you are not nice person neither. Americans select congress and president (actually it's not), and Americans politicians are so bad, it means the nation is bad as well.

That's what I observe in my 14 years in America. Americans are so hypocrisy, I can hardly tolerate day by day.

Most Americans are pretty simple people and believe in their propaganda. Most are not aware of the deep state or how it manipulates American foreign policy. Most Americans are ignorant about other countries.

There is a difference between American politics and American culture which I am referring to.

Most Americans are pretty simple people and believe in their propaganda. Most are not aware of the deep state or how it manipulates American foreign policy. Most Americans are ignorant about other countries.

There is a difference between American politics and American culture which I am referring to.
Of course, that's propaganda's value. The most interesting part is America propaganda machine keep saying other countries are doing propaganda and America is not. Americans are brain washed the most in my opinion.

Sorry to say, from what you say, you are affected more or less, it's unavoidable.

Even though, if you read reddit, a lot of people are aware of Deep State. It was tolerated because life is good. If life go bad people will chase after Deep State. That's why I say Americans are hypocritical. It's not value, it's money, money and money.

I really support China on this case, but it is really sad to see that ethnic Chinese from Hong Kong loves more Westerners then their brothers in PRC.

Millions of people waves British flags, former occupant of China, that caused so much misery to China. It is not a death of Chinese soft power, it just prove that China dont have soft power, if they cant even win a hearts of its countryman.
How China can pretend to be soft power if even Chinese dont want to be under China, save other non Chinese.
I believe China's closed system of governance and communist (in name only this days) one party state authoritarian system is also to blame. People in Hong Kong and Taiwan who have long gotten used to living in a democratic open system and interacting freely with the outside world for almost a century or challenging their government openly without much repercussions are wary of China's closed system where the party is in control of almost everything (the party is even officially above the state). So this leads to mistrusts between both sides.Hong Kong and even Taiwan don't want to lose their system at all.

For example in a democratic system like say Taiwan/Japan , a citizen openly protest and for even call for the fall of the country's leader or ask for their resignation, without facing much issues. However, if this was done in China then it will be considered a crime and he will face severe consequences or even life imprisonment(the justice system is also totally controlled by the party). It's this little differences that creates a sense of mistrust and fear of the PRC government

Last edited:
I believe China's closed system of governance and communist (in name only this days) one party state authoritarian system is also to blame. People in Hong Kong and Taiwan who have long gotten used to living ina democratic open system and interacting freely with the outside world or challenging their government openly without much repercussions are wary of China's closed system where the party is in control of almost everything (the party is even officially above the state).
How to define an authoritarian system? Can you please explain a little further when you label China governance as authoritarian system?

00:00
so when people compare the American
00:03
government with the Chinese government
00:05
they say this is a comparison within a
00:08
democratic system and an authoritarian
00:12
system and a democratic system is of
00:15
course better than Authority and system
00:17
and I agree a democratic system is
00:20
better than an authoritarian system but
00:23
if you go if you dig one level down and
00:26
you look at the functioning of the
00:28
government and how it makes its
00:30
decisions and you analyze it you may see
00:35
that the democratic system may be
00:38
performing as a plutocratic system
00:41
serving the interests of the people the
00:44
tiny elite and leaving thus creating a
00:47
situation where I think half your
00:51
population hasn't seen an increase in
00:55
his median income for 40 years
00:57
that's what plutocracy is the Chinese
01:00
system is a meritocracy now the Chinese
01:05
Communist Party is not perfect it has a
01:08
lot of flaws in making lot of mistakes
01:11
by in terms of harvesting the brainpower
01:15
of China it has done an amazing job and
01:18
I tell the story you know I was in
01:20
diplomacy for 33 years when I started my
01:24
career in 1971 if you had asked me do
01:29
you want to talk to an American diplomat
01:30
or Chinese diplomat I would say of
01:32
course and talk to an American diplomat
01:34
is graduate of Princeton Yale Harvard
01:38
brilliant reads The New Yorker every
01:40
week knows what's going on the world a
01:43
Chinese diplomat 1971 would walk around
01:45
with a mouse to the red book in his
01:48
pocket and when I talk to him you'll
01:50
produce mouse read book and read to me
01:51
or Mouse read book why should I waste my
01:53
time Chinese that's empty one you fast
01:57
forward to 2018 and you ask me to fly to
02:01
a capital somewhere and you said you
02:04
want to talk to the American ambassador
02:06
or the Chinese ambassador the likelihood
02:11
is that the China
02:13
ambassador would speak the language of
02:17
the country would have been posted there
02:20
several times would have a very new and
02:23
sophisticated view of the country and
02:25
the American ambassador would be one
02:29
who's demoralized knowing that his
02:32
budget is being cut knowing his chances
02:35
of becoming an ambassador and the top
02:37
capital is practically zero because
02:39
there are political appointees so you
02:41
have a demoralized the American
02:43
diplomatic service and an incredibly
02:46
dynamic Chinese Foreign Service that's
02:49
what that's a big change that has
02:51
happened since 1971 and that's a result
02:54
of meritocracy
English (auto-generated)

Did an English guy just mentioned democratic system in Hong Kong? Not according to Mr Galloway

It is funny how Russian media has to do the lion share of defending China because China's own media and propaganda establishments are so inept, tone deaf and ineffective.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom