What's new

History of Vietnam or What do you want to know about Vietnam?

depending on what you like. you can either do visiting popular places like any other tourist
Things to do in Hanoi: Check out 86 Hanoi Attractions - TripAdvisor
or ask your Viet girlfriend. I´m sure she knows the best places to go or her relatives will show you the citiy.

Lol that's just it, I can't tell her I'm going there, she would want to go with me.

My mother's worried about safety and such. Do people speak in English?

edit: I mean April THIS year.

Last edited:
Lol that's just it, I can't tell her I'm going there, she would want to go with me.

I´m afraid that´s it.

If you think Vietnam offers too litle for your money, or the country poses uncalculated risk for your personal safety, then it is better to stay away. The Viet people speak Vietnamese.

Beware of pick pocket on street. Dont use expensive smart phone, dont wear gold,diamon chain on street, gun is not allowed, so VN is quite safe. Try to bargain when buying anything on street. If u visit Ho Chi MInh city, u should come to Pham Ngu Lao st, district 1. There are a lot of foreigners there, its good for u to have some good information abt VN.
Sleepless night on the “Street of Foreigners” in Saigon
VietNamNet Bridge – “Pho Tay” (street of foreigners) is a familiar address as well as the gathering place of foreign visitors in Ho Chi Minh City.

The “Pho Tay – Saigon” is the common name of the area covering the streets of Pham Ngu Lao, Bui Vien, De Tham, Do Quang Dau and the neighboring areas, in Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.

This area is the home to a lot of hotels, motels, restaurants, travel centers and travel services for foreign backpackers. "Pho Tay" has become a familiar address and the gathering place of foreign visitors to the city.

The living rhythm in “Pho Tay” is always fast and noisy, especially at night. During the daytime, foreign visitors can travel to other places but at night, they return to “Pho Tay” to relax, entertain and experience the pavement life of Saigon. The night in “Pho Tay” is colorful in lights and the colors of varied culture.

“Pho Tay” does not sleep at night, with a lot of fun, sadness and happiness in the life span of Saigon.

Some pictures of "Pho Tay":

20130625114935-1.jpg

Part of “Pho Tay” looking from above.

20130625114935-2.jpg

The junction of Do Quang Dau - Bui Vien with lots of restaurants and bars. There is also a group of xe om (motorbike taxi drivers) waiting for passengers.
Sleepless night on the “Street of Foreigners” in Saigon - News VietNamNet

And u can ask me abt VN on the forum when u come to VN, too :D

Last edited:
I´m afraid that´s it.

If you think Vietnam offers too litle for your money, or the country poses uncalculated risk for your personal safety, then it is better to stay away. The Viet people speak Vietnamese.

Ah darn, I don't know more than a few phrases in Vietnamese.

Oh I don't think it's a security risk. I just want to make sure everything goes well :)

Beware of pick pocket on street, gun is not allowed, so VN is quite safe. If u visit Ho Chi MInh city, u should come to Pham Ngu Lao st, district 1. There are a lot of foreigners there, its good for u to have some good information abt VN.

I don't really want to go where other foreigners are. I want to see the authentic Vietnam, the villages, the cultural centres that sort of thing.

I don't really want to go where other foreigners are. I want to see the authentic Vietnam, the villages, the cultural centres that sort of thing.
First, come to Pham Ngu Lao st, they will tell u where u can see the authentic Vietnam and how do u go there. (I normally use motorbike, so I dont know much abt Bus Travel )

In the South VN, I suggest u should visit My Tho, Ben Tre, Can Tho where u can see VN villages , in the North u can visit Phu Tho, Hai Phong, Quang Ninh, Thai Binh, Sa Pa . Remember : Dont wear anything look expensive( even expensive camera) for ur own safety.

A Co Loa citadel is good place to visit and its near Ha Noi
Cổ Loa Citadel
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Map of Co Loa Citadel, red is the wall, blue is the water, green is the trees
Cổ Loa Citadel (Vietnamese: Thành Cổ Loa) is a citadel built near Phong Khe, about 20 km to the North of today’s Hanoi, during the end of the Hồng Bàng Dynasty (about 257 BCE). The fortress is a spiral-shaped complex of the then new capital. Its name is derived from the Sino-Vietnamese , meaning "old spiral." The site has been the source of various relics of the Dong Son culture of the Bronze Age.[1]

Last edited:
I am Fujian Quanzhou ancestry 3rd generation Singaporean, Taiwanese/Min Nan speaker. You wont understand my lect. What is your lect Fattyacids
in the 16 centuries, many Chinese merchants from Fujian, Kanton and Hainan came to Vietnam. They settled down in Hoi An (Faifo), a port city in central Vietnam. Not only merchants but also common Chinese citizen fled to VN after the collapse of the Ming Dynasty. Many overseas Chinese communities today living in Malacca, Penang, Jakarta or Singapore had their forefathers, who came to Faifo first.

Perhaps your forefather came from Vietnam, too. :-)

Fujian meeting hall in Hoi An
640px-Hoi_quan_Phuoc_Kien.jpg

Last edited:
It was shown on Pro7, a private german television.

Pho can be eaten thoughout the day. Viet rice becomes increasing popular, overtaking Thai rice recently in terms of shipment to overseas.
how-to-eat-pho.jpg

yes, it is a french heritage.
FirstBanhMi.jpg

Thks. I read the VN government is working on a plan to turn the largest island of VN, Phu Quoc, into a second Singapore. That would be great.
VGP News | Singapore invited to invest in Phu Quoc Island - Singapore invited to invest in Phu Quoc Island

800px-Phu_quoc_plage_sao.jpg

About the egg, I doubt this report, cause I travel around China,and never heard about that.Did this TV report have a video or pic ?
BTW, if people want to know about China food, google "a bite of china", it is a very nice video which introduce kinds of food around china.

About the Pho.Just like the pic, when I was in US. I went to VN restaurant many times, every time I would like to order VN noodle with super boul, it was very tasty and the basil had very special smell.

About the bread .I have a friend work in Saigon as a swim coach, he tells me about that , and people can the bread fresh or not by pinch it , is it right ?

It depends on which kind of industry VN gov want to develop . If the environment protocol is very strict , small local company might be very hard to compete with foreign company, because it do cost a lot of money

Last edited:
in the 16 centuries, many Chinese merchants from Fujian, Kanton and Hainan came to Vietnam. They settled down in Hoi An (Faifo), a port city in central Vietnam. Not only merchants but also common Chinese citizen fled to VN after the collapse of the Ming Dynasty. Many overseas Chinese communities today living in Malacca, Penang, Jakarta or Singapore had their forefathers, who came to Faifo first.

Perhaps your forefather came from Vietnam, too. :-)

Fujian meeting hall in Hoi An
640px-Hoi_quan_Phuoc_Kien.jpg

My ancestor from Quanzhou 泉州, Fujian 福建。 Quanzhou was the biggest port in China for many years until the Qing Dynasty.

There are many Vietnamese in Singapore nowadays and you will be surprise how fast they pick up Mandarin. They speak like native speaker. The Vietnamese can pass off as Singaporean Chinese. The girls are extremely beautiful and a lot of us want to marry them. Vietnamese do not even need to integrate. There are already integrated. I cannot tell a Vietnamese and Singaporean Chinese apart.

Same as all other oversea Chinese.

But mainland Chinese is different. We can identify a northern Chinese easily. All mainland Chinese behave a little differently but their 2nd generation is just like us.

About the egg, I doubt this report, cause I travel around China,and never heard about that.Did this TV report have a video or pic ?
BTW, if people want to know about China food, google "a bite of china", it is a very nice video which introduce kinds of food around china.
I don´t lie. The report was shown in german tv. By google, find this report immediately
Urine-soaked eggs a spring taste treat in China city| Reuters
About the Pho.Just like the pic, when I was in US. I went to VN restaurant many times, every time I would like to order VN noodle with super boul, it was very tasty and the basil had very special smell.
if you got a chance, go to San Jose (CA), where you can visit a Vietnamese city, "little Saigon". They serve best Pho´s in America. Order a giant bowl, you will be surprised.
About the bread .I have a friend work in Saigon as a swim coach, he tells me about that , and people can the bread fresh or not by pinch it , is it right ?
depending on what you like. At breakfast many Vietnamese eat french bread like the French: pure fresh bread with milk coffee.

Vietnamese-Coffee-198x300.jpg

It depends on which kind of industry VN gov want to develop . If the environment protocol is very strict , small local company might be very hard to compete with foreign company, because it do cost a lot of money
ideally Phu Quoc will become a clone to Singapore.

First steps are done. The island has been connected national power grid recently. Hopefully Singapore government and companies will support the plan with money and human resources. The VN government has decided recently:
- visa free to all tourists for 30 days
- island will come under direct control of the central government
- all investors will enjoy extremely low tax rate
- new north-south highway
- upgrade the exising airport and sea port to international level

Vietnam latest news - Thanh Nien Daily |
No visas for visitors as Vietnam island woos investors

Singapore
Aerial_View_of_Singapore.jpg

but that is a long way to go. At present the island looks so:

Phu%2BQuoc.jpg

GDS-4.3.%20PHU%20QUOC%20(TO).jpg

3270474457_7762b146a2_o.jpg

Fish%20_PhuQuoc184.jpg

Grilled%20prawns%20PhuQuoc394.jpg

2315083973_b4b8b3a792.jpg

1193885784_05.jpg

Last edited:
My ancestor from Quanzhou 泉州, Fujian 福建。 Quanzhou was the biggest port in China for many years until the Qing Dynasty.

There are many Vietnamese in Singapore nowadays and you will be surprise how fast they pick up Mandarin. They speak like native speaker. The Vietnamese can pass off as Singaporean Chinese. The girls are extremely beautiful and a lot of us want to marry them. Vietnamese do not even need to integrate. There are already integrated. I cannot tell a Vietnamese and Singaporean Chinese apart.

Same as all other oversea Chinese.

But mainland Chinese is different. We can identify a northern Chinese easily. All mainland Chinese behave a little differently but their 2nd generation is just like us.
he he he...you seem to be a fan of Vietnam.

Prysmian Group, world leader in the energy and telecom cable systems industry, has been awarded a contract by the Vietnamese utility EVNSPC (Southern Power Corporation under Vietnam Electricity) worth a total of Euro 67 million for the design, supply, installation, and commissioning of a submarine power cable link to connect Phu Quoc Island to the national power grid in Vietnam.

Phu Quoc hooks up to national power grid.

Prysmian-to-Link-Phu-Quoc-Island-to-National-Power-Grid-in-Vietnam.jpg

I don´t lie. The report was shown in german tv. By google, find this report immediately
Urine-soaked eggs a spring taste treat in China city| Reuters

if you got a chance, go to San Jose (CA), where you can visit a Vietnamese city, "little Saigon". They serve best Pho´s in America. Order a giant bowl, you will be surprised.

depending on what you like. At breakfast many Vietnamese eat french bread like the French: pure fresh bread with milk coffee.

Vietnamese-Coffee-198x300.jpg

ideally Phu Quoc will become a clone to Singapore.

First steps are done. The island has been connected national power grid recently. Hopefully Singapore government and companies will support the plan with money and human resources. The VN government has decided recently:
- visa free to all tourists for 30 days
- island will come under direct control of the central government
- all investors will enjoy extremely low tax rate
- new north-south highway
- upgrade the exising airport and sea port to international level

Vietnam latest news - Thanh Nien Daily |
No visas for visitors as Vietnam island woos investors

Singapore
Aerial_View_of_Singapore.jpg

but that is a long way to go. At present the island looks so:

Phu%2BQuoc.jpg

GDS-4.3.%20PHU%20QUOC%20(TO).jpg

3270474457_7762b146a2_o.jpg

Fish%20_PhuQuoc184.jpg

Grilled%20prawns%20PhuQuoc394.jpg

2315083973_b4b8b3a792.jpg

1193885784_05.jpg

Holy crap! I check local news of Dongyang ,you are right !!!Unbelievable habit!

I have never been to San jose, I went to Phoniex /Tuson/LA/SD

Next time I will go to SJ!!

Hj, its not related to history, but I think VNese here also love football, so I will post news abt U19-Nutifood Cup here.
(VOV) – The U19 Tottenham and U19 Japan teams arrived in Ho Chi Minh City on January 4 ahead of the upcoming Nutifood Cup (January 6-10).

U19 Tottenham consist of first and second year students from the Tottenham Football Education Academy.

Serbia’s midfielder Milos Veljkovic is otherwise occupied,selected to play in Tottenham’s third round FA Cup tie against Arsenal.

U19 Japan, coached by Suziki Masakazu, enjoy an impressive height advantage over their Vietnamese rivals.

U19 AS Roma have sent advanced scouts ahead of their arrival in HCM City on January 5.

The organising board will hold a press briefing to exchange information with participating teams.

Five teams will contest the Nutifood Cup: Vietnam’s two U19 football squads, U19 Japan, U19 AS Roma, and U19 Tottenham Hotspur.

Some images of U 19 Japan’s training on Military Zone 7′s stadium:

Tottenham, Japan arrive for Nutifood Cup — Vietmaz

U19 Japan,Tottenham, AS Roma are strong team, but U 19 VietNam is not weak,too. We trounced U 19 Australia 5-1, hope we can do something amazing in this cup :partay:

I will destroy the tourism industry in VN, wherever their is tourist hotspot there is sexual predators, I cannot allow that country to be defiled like the rest of Asia
thank you and namaste, please stop killing my people with your greed for money >:{

[video]
[/video]
[video]
[/video]

In recent years, Putnam has been engaged in a comprehensive study of the relationship between trust within communities and their ethnic diversity. His conclusion based on over 40 cases and 30 000 people within the United States is that, other things being equal, more diversity in a community is associated with less trust both between and within ethnic groups. Although limited to American data, it puts into question both the contact hypothesis and conflict theory in inter-ethnic relations. According to conflict theory, distrust between the ethnic groups will rise with diversity, but not within a group. In contrast, contact theory proposes that distrust will decline as members of different ethnic groups get to know and interact with each other. Putnam describes people of all races, sex, socioeconomic statuses, and ages as "hunkering down," avoiding engagement with their local community—both among different ethnic groups and within their own ethnic group. Even when controlling for income inequality and crime rates, two factors which conflict theory states should be the prime causal factors in declining inter-ethnic group trust, more diversity is still associated with less communal trust.

Lowered trust in areas with high diversity is also associated with:
  • Lower confidence in local government, local leaders and the local news media.
  • Lower political efficacy – that is, confidence in one's own influence.
  • Lower frequency of registering to vote, but more interest and knowledge about politics and more participation in protest marches and social reform groups.
  • Higher political advocacy, but lower expectations that it will bring about a desirable result.
  • Less expectation that others will cooperate to solve dilemmas of collective action (e.g., voluntary conservation to ease a water or energy shortage).
  • Less likelihood of working on a community project.
  • Less likelihood of giving to charity or volunteering.
  • Fewer close friends and confidants.
  • Less happiness and lower perceived quality of life.
  • More time spent watching television and more agreement that "television is my most important form of entertainment".
l_us-army-swastika-45th-infantry-ec28.jpg

Back
Top Bottom