What's new

History of Vietnam or What do you want to know about Vietnam?

The Southern Chinese is mix blood and sinicize minorities. The Thai were from China and they look like one of us. They move South and mix with locals. They transit the locals Australoid to a more mongoloid phenotype.

The Southern Chinese are cluster far apart from the Northern Chinese for very good reason. There are some Turkic, Mongol and Manchu blood in Northern Chinese.

And canonical Chinese history text Zizhi Tongjian (资治通鉴) shows that Emperor Taizong of Tang, Li Shimn 唐太宗李世民 speak Turkic. To simplify, the text below states, Emperor "Li Shimin asked his soldiers to stay behind and he went himself alone to speak to East Tu-Jue Illig Khan" "上麾诸军使却而布陈,独留与颉利语" .

上自出玄武门,与高士廉、房玄龄等六骑径诣渭水上,与颉利隔水而语,责以负约。突厥大惊,皆下马罗拜。俄而诸军继至,旌甲蔽野,颉利见执失思力不返,而上挺身轻出,军容甚盛,有惧色。上麾诸军使却而布陈,独留与颉利语。萧瑀以上轻敌,叩马固谏,上曰:“吾筹之已熟,非卿所知。突厥所以敢倾国而来,直抵郊甸者,以我国内有难,朕新即位。谓我不能抗御故也。我若示之以弱,闭门拒守,虏必放兵大掠,不可复制。故朕轻骑独出,示若轻之;又震曜军容,使之必战;出虏不意,使之失图。虏入我地既深,必有惧心,故与战则克,与和则固矣。制服突厥,在此一举,卿第观之!”是日,颉利来请和,诏许之。上即日还宫。乙酉,又幸城西,斩白马,与颉利盟于便桥之上。突厥引兵退。

His first crown prince Li Cheng Gan 李承乾 not only like to speak Turkic, but also like to dress as a Turk, stay in Turkic tent, and relish Turkic culinary.

又使户奴数十百人习音声,学胡人椎髻,剪彩为舞衣,寻橦跳剑,鼓鞞声通昼夜不绝。造大铜炉、六熟鼎,招亡奴盗取人牛马,亲视烹燖,召所幸厮养共食之。又好突厥言及所服,选貌类胡者,被以羊裘,辫发,五人建一落,张毡舍,造五狼头纛,分戟为阵, ,系幡旗,设穹庐自居,使诸部敛羊以烹,抽佩刀割肉相啗。

I don't have a whole load of information on hand, this is chart borrowed from @Wholegrain

0b9b8d714566edea3954827c018a3c88-1.jpg

Vietnam has been keeping the 2-child for several years.
Below is the recommendation to couples not lower 2 child into 1 child

City tells couples to have 2 children amid declining birthrate

Updated : 07/29/2013 14:19 GMT + 7

In face of an alarming decline in birth rate in Ho Chi Minh City, the General Department of Population and Family Planning has recommended that every couple should have two children.

The recommendation was made on July 17 after the agency reviewed a reality that the birth rates in many provinces and cities in Vietnam have declined to an alarming level, in which most women have only one child, said Duong Quoc Trong, head of the Population and Family Planning General Department.

The family planning policy applied in the past 50 years has led to a sharp decline in the country’s birth rate. In 1961, a Vietnamese woman had 6.3 children on average. The figure dropped to 2.06 in 2006 and to 1.99 in 2011. Last year, the figure slightly increased to 2.05 but it is still lower the replacement rate, 2.1, Trong said.

The replacement rate is the degree to which a population is replacing itself, based on the ratio of the number of female babies to the number of women of childbearing, he explained.

Birth rates are different in different localities, of which HCMC has the lowest rate: 1.33 children per woman in the reproductive age. In other southern localities, such as Long An, Tien Giang, Hau Giang, Ca Mau, and Can Tho, the birth rates range between 1.5 and 1.6. Meanwhile, many northern and central provinces have much higher rates, 3-3.4.

“When the fertility rate declines to 1.3, then it is very hard to increase it to the replacement rate and as a result, the population will age rapidly and the society will lack people in working age. For that reason, I encourage couples in HCMC to have two children,” Trong said.

He emphasized, “We do not suggest that every couple has three children, but they should not stop after having their first child.”

For HCMC, the new slogan “each couple should have two children” should be used to replace the long-standing policy that “every family should have only one or two children,” as stipulated in the 2003 Ordinance on Population, he said.

After 10 years of implementing the Ordinance, To Thi Kim Hoa, head of the HCMC Sub-department of Population and Family Planning, said the birth rate in the city has continuously been on the decrease year after year.

Therefore, the city authorities should encourage each couple to have two children and advise women in the childbearing age to have babies as soon as they can after getting married, Hoa said.

On a nationwide scale, whether or not the population policy should be loosened to encourage people to have two children required comprehensive surveys and studies, Hoa said, adding that this issue should be discussed in the near future when the country reviews the 10-year implementation of the Ordinance.

Aging, sex imbalance

As a result of the policy that restrains birth rates over the past decades, Vietnam is entering the stage of aging population, which means the proportion of people in the working age is declining while that of old people is increasing, said Prof. Dr Nguyen Dinh Cu, former head of the Institute for Population and Social Issues.

According to the Statistics General Department, the proportion of people over 65 years old increased from 4.7 percent in 1979 to 7.1 percent in 2012 and will surge to 10.1 percent in 2029 and to 18 percent in 2049.

Currently Vietnam has about 9 million elderly people and it is expected that elderly people will account for 20 percent of the country’s population in 2035-2038. Therefore, proper policies should be devised to ensure the quality of life of the elderly and enable them to make contributions to society, Prof. Cu said.

Lowered birth rate also worsens the sex imbalance at birth, the scientist said. “When the birth rate is lower and when the traditional concept of favoring men over women is still prevailing, women are more likely to give birth to boys than to girls, causing the existing sex imbalance to become more serious.”

The sex ratio at birth (male to female) in Vietnam in 2009 is 110.6/100. Two years later the ratio increased to 112.2. Such a situation will make 2-4 million men in the marriage age unable to find wives by 2050.

Therefore, the country’s population policy should be adjusted to slow down the ageing of the population and ease the sex imbalance at birth, Cu said.

China has turned from the traditional “one-child” policy to the new “one-and-a-half child” policy, Trong said.
The change was made after demographers forecast that nearly one out of every four people in the country will be older than 65 by the year 2050, he said.

Exactly!! The only people who would argue otherwise are the pan-green taiwanese (not all taiwanese) and of course the Vietnamese who until this day argue Vietnam is Bai yue (but they didn't know Bai yue in Chinese refers to hundred of tribes, LOL)

in Vietnamese, we call Baiyue as Bach Viet means 100 tribes of Viet

Exactly!! The only people who would argue otherwise are the pan-green taiwanese (not all taiwanese) and of course the Vietnamese who until this day argue Vietnam is Bai yue (but they didn't know Bai yue in Chinese refers to hundred of tribes, LOL)
in Vietnamese, we call Baiyue as Bach Viet means 100 tribes of Viet

Bai Yue were people were living in Southern China, like Zhuang people, H'mong - Mien People, Bai Pu, Blang people, etc.

Interesting is that:

1/ The Blang (布朗族 : Bùlǎng Zú) (also spelled Bulong) people are an ethnic group. They form one of the 56 ethnic groups officially recognized by the PRC. The Blang language belongs to the Palaung-Wa branch of the Mon–Khmer family of languages, like Vietnamese/Kinh/Muong People in Vietnam.

Blang people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2/ Bai Pu (百濮)) people speak Mon-Khmer language like Vietnamese/Kinh/Muong People in Vietnam.

http://www.sealang.net/archives/mks/pdf/35:183-187.pdf

3/ Genetic Links of Mon-Khmer and Hmong-Mien Peoples Confirmed.

There are 147 Mon-Khmer languages are spoken by more than 90 million people, mostly in Southeast Asia, of which the dominant languages of Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia are the best known (there are isolated pockets elsewhere).

Dispatches From Turtle Island: Genetic Links of Mon-Khmer and Hmong-Mien Peoples Confirmed

We don't have nothing to do with Baiyue who speak Tai/Katay language, but we have relation with such Yue tribes who shared bloodline and language with us.

I don't have a whole load of information on hand, this is chart borrowed from @Wholegrain

0b9b8d714566edea3954827c018a3c88-1.jpg

4/ Vietnamese/Kinh people shared genetic cluster O2b with Japanese and Korean, so that in ancient time our ancestor tribes have been living in China nearby Altaic tribes, should been mixed with them before a time our ancestors (Van Lang people) settled from China back to North Vietnam. There was Van Lang State of us.

But part of our brothers/sistere like H'mong-Mien, Baipu, Blang ... are still living in China.

Thks for @Rye and @Rechoice for your posts

Last edited:
There never was a Van Lang state and unless you have archaeological and textual proof that it existed it will be regarded as myth.

How many times do I have to post this the Baiyue didn't call themselves Yue/Viet it is unknown what they called themselves,neither were the Baiyue Vietnamese in any sense.

Repeating the same lies over and over again doesn't make it true.

駁斥謊言!越南的黃沙、長沙不是中國的西沙南沙--軍事頻道_中華網
Vietnamese 黃沙 & 長沙 are not Spratly & Paracels.

@Grand Historian

Is it okay for you to help me translate some of the main points from the article above?
Sure thing,just give me a few days my Chinese is still rusty.

I wonder why we don't learn about French Indochina in school, I don't know much about it...
perhaps @elis can answer the question. here is a video film about indochina.

There never was a Van Lang state and unless you have archaeological and textual proof that it existed it will be regarded as myth.

How many times do I have to post this the Baiyue didn't call themselves Yue/Viet it is unknown what they called themselves,neither were the Baiyue Vietnamese in any sense.

Repeating the same lies over and over again doesn't make it true.

Sure thing,just give me a few days my Chinese is still rusty.
As I said elsewhere Van Lang and Hung Vuong are more a myth than reality...

It tastes much better than a Chinese dish, I saw on a German television recently:

chicken eggs cooked in children´s urine for 24 hours (!). After watching this report about China´s unique delicious cuisine, I had to puke. :lol:

Damn , is that true ?

Can you tell me where is the report ?

I think Pho should be nice , because Vie rice has very nice quality

And Viets eat french bread in the morning , is that right ?

BTW, do not make the mistake we china made during the modernization

Keep the river clean ,Keep the mountain green!

Good luck!

Damn , is that true ?
Can you tell me where is the report ?
It was shown on Pro7, a private german television.
I think Pho should be nice , because Vie rice has very nice quality
Pho can be eaten thoughout the day. Viet rice becomes increasing popular, overtaking Thai rice recently in terms of shipment to overseas.
how-to-eat-pho.jpg

And Viets eat french bread in the morning , is that right ?
yes, it is a french heritage.
FirstBanhMi.jpg

BTW, do not make the mistake we china made during the modernization
Keep the river clean ,Keep the mountain green!

Good luck!
Thks. I read the VN government is working on a plan to turn the largest island of VN, Phu Quoc, into a second Singapore. That would be great.
VGP News | Singapore invited to invest in Phu Quoc Island - Singapore invited to invest in Phu Quoc Island

800px-Phu_quoc_plage_sao.jpg

How many times I have to say this haplogroups predate the existence of some language families and ethnicities,it is pointless to determine if an haplogroup strictly comes from one ethnicity to another as population bottlenecks can occur.

The haplogroups O 002611,O M134 and O M117 are the most common O3 in Han Chinese,so are Vietnamese/Koreans/Japanese with these haplogroups actually Chinese?

No they weren't the Jomon from recently studies show they are an early Siberian population that moved to Japan while the Yayoi were mainly from Korea while some are from China.

Later Korean kingdoms such as Baekje had kinship ties with the Yamato state there were plenty of immigrants that came from ancient Korea and China.

As for Koreans there was the indigenous Sam Han and migrant Ye Maek later on some Khitans and Jurchens assimlated into Korean society not to mention that Han dynasty established some commanderies there .

In my opinion the Vietnamese are the most mixed out of the 3,from what I read the original inhabitants of Vietnam were Australoids while incoming groups of Mongoloids(Austroasiatic and Tai Kadai speakers?) either exterminated or assimilated them.

Also the Chinese ruled Vietnam for quite some time and many Chinese refugees also went to Vietnam in times of turmoil such as the Ming loyalists.

With the southward expansion of Vietnam Khmers and Chams were absorbed.

Now you are claiming that Japanese and Koreans were part of Van Lang,Vietnamese nationalists are absolutely hilarious!

Why is O2b* and O2b1 found it negligible or nonexistent amounts in Han Chinese then?

Your own history book Kham dinh Viet su Thong giam cuong muc expresses doubt on the accuracy of Dai Viet su ky Toan Thu and linh nam chich quai.
Yes, the bold part is near to the truth. The Viets came from Austroindonesian islands. They settled down in the red river delta and mixed with mongolian settlers coming from the North.

This german travel guide tells a bit about the story.

reise-know-how-vietnam-072010519.jpg

It was shown on Pro7, a private german television.

Pho can be eaten thoughout the day. Viet rice becomes increasing popular, overtaking Thai rice recently in terms of shipment to overseas.
how-to-eat-pho.jpg

Have you heard of Guilin Rice noodle? For me, it's better taste than pho. Pho is not spicy at all. But my friend loves pho VERY MUCH of a nearby Vietnamese Restaurant. Everyday he went there to eat pho.

516b570b0cec6_zpsceb3001e.jpg

Have you heard of Guilin Rice noodle? For me, it's better taste than pho. Pho is not spicy at all. But my friend loves pho VERY MUCH of a nearby Vietnamese Restaurant. Everyday he went there to eat pho.
no, the dish looks a bit weird to me. I love Dim Sum. When I visited Chinatown in London recently, I discovered many restaurants offering Vietnamese spring rolls and Pho. It is a challenge to cook good Pho. It is a science itself.

dimsum.jpg

Look like my sisters.

Chinese Thai 中国傣族
View attachment 12438

laotian girl
laos-girls.jpg

The Thai and Myanmese admit they migrated from Southern China.
this girl is HOT, but she does not look like a native laotian. She looks japanese.

Last edited:
So much to my half-Viet girlfriend's chagrin, my family and I are going to Vietnam for a 5 day visit in April next year.

We're definitely going to Hanoi, do you guys have any recommendations for locations/places to visit etc?

So much to my half-Viet girlfriend's chagrin, my family and I are going to Vietnam for a 5 day visit in April next year.

We're definitely going to Hanoi, do you guys have any recommendations for locations/places to visit etc?
depending on what you like. you can either do visiting popular places like any other tourist
Things to do in Hanoi: Check out 86 Hanoi Attractions - TripAdvisor
or ask your Viet girlfriend. I´m sure she knows the best places to go or her relatives will show you the citiy.

Back
Top Bottom