What's new

History of Vietnam or What do you want to know about Vietnam?

how many time china colonised Vietnam and how long each time:partay:
Vietnam was not a colony but a province of China called Annam (安南; pinyin: Ānnán) or Giao Chỉ (交趾; pinyin: Jiāozhǐ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annam_(Chinese_province)

Tang_dynasty1.PNG

China under the Tang Dynasty, c. 660 AD (bright yellow).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_domination_of_Vietnam

The Chinese domination of Vietnam (Vietnamese: bắc thuộc, "belonging to the North"[1][2][3]) began in 111 BC, and is usually considered to have ended in 938 AD. A fourth, relatively brief, 20-year punitive invasion by the Ming dynasty, 400 years later, is usually excluded by historians in discussion of the main, almost continuous, period of Chinese colonization from 111 BC to 938 AD.

First Chinese domination of Vietnam (111 BC–39 AD) Chinese incursions, followed by Chinese victory in the Han-Nanyue War (111 BC), established Chinese rule in Vietnam. This was briefly interrupted by the revolt of the Trưng Sisters (40–43 AD).

Second Chinese domination of Vietnam (43–544) ended by the revolt of Lý Nam Đế who lead a rebellion taking advantage of internal disorder in China and the weakness of the waning Southern Liang dynasty. This secured 60 years of independence for Vietnam, but following regime change and consolidation of power in China, the new Sui dynasty sent an overwhelmingly large army south to reestablish control over northern Vietnam in 602.

Third Chinese domination of Vietnam (602–938) starting with the peaceful abdication by Lý's successor in the face of overwhelming Chinese numbers, and marked by entrenchment of mandarin administration. The period concluded with the internal collapse of China's Tang dynasty and Ngô Quyền's destruction of the Southern Han armada at the naval Battle of Bach Dang River (938).

Fourth Chinese domination of Vietnam (1407–1427) a 20-year occupation by the Ming dynasty army, from Vietnamese defeat in the Ming–Hồ War (1406–1407) to Vietnamese rebellion and Lê Lợi's defeat of the Chinese at the Battle of Tốt Động – Chúc Động (1427).

I wish Vietnam would be an island like Japan, protected by a vast ocean.
That true for ancient strategy. It's a strategic advantage of the past. In modern warfare, with modern technology such as missile and nuclear weapon, the existence of an island is in fact a negativity because an island state is forced to defend all corners of the sea. The US was able to overcome this by attacking on different front, North and South. Additionally in a nuclear fallout, people cannot be evacuated to neighboring's border.

how many time china colonised Vietnam and how long each time:partay:

USA went out from Vietnam 1975, Britain give back Hongkong 1997, Macau 1999, too late :sick:. Taiwan is under protectoriate of USA now. China is half-independence state. :partay:

then you could more fluently in English than what you trolled above.
ok, let's say I am an overseas born Asian, what's so bad about my English except for not using full stops and capitalisation? also where did I troll? I will admit that maybe I used aggressive language but did I make anything up for you to say I am trolling?

Quote Originally Posted by Apothecary
I got a question.
What's the oldest surviving literary work in vietnam and what does it say?

not sure but might be Đại Việt sử lược which marks the beginning of Vietnamese history with Zhao Tuo's rule not the Hung Kings, that came later, also notice how it says the Ming looted all of Vietnamese historical records yet conveniently this 3 volume account still survives having been held by the Ming and Qing and then later returned, why didn't they just destroy it along with everything else? doesn't sound right to me, though it is Wikipedia so I don't know if it's trustworthy or not (I can't post links)

I don´t know, my bad. But if any then that were written in Viet ancient characters in times of Hùng Vương period (2879 bc-258 bc) before Vietnam adopted Chinese.

the Hung Kings aren't real unless you believe in fairy tales and these scripts are not from the Vietnamese

USA went out from Vietnam 1975, Britain give back Hongkong 1997, Macau 1999, too late :sick:. Taiwan is under protectorate of USA now. China is half-independence state. :partay:

Hong Kong and Macau are two tiny CITIES of China, yet your WHOLE land were ruled by your neighbors for more than 1000 years. Tell me how thick your face could be.

'Protectorate' you say, how about "poor" S.Korea and Japan. Daheck is 'half-independence' state, didn't you people claim that your big bad bully "stole" your islands~ are you the 'half-independence' state~? The 4 lands Macau, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Mainland you have mentioned are all more developed than your country. You mad~?

ok, let's say I am an overseas born Asian, what's so bad about my English except for not using full stops and capitalisation? also where did I troll? I will admit that maybe I used aggressive language but did I make anything up for you to say I am trolling?
I guess you are Asian, born in America, live in Africa but work in Australia. At the end of the day, after realizing you are just a 5 cent troller loving uncle Kim from North Korea, that is the reason why your both flags show North Korea.
the Hung Kings aren't real unless you believe in fairy tales and these scripts are not from the Vietnamese
The world-body organisation UNESCO believes in fairy tales, too.
http://news.gov.vn/Home/Hung-Kings-...CO-certificate-festival-opens/20134/17586.vgp

06723-MED.jpg

Worship of Hùng kings in Phú Thọ
© Vietnam Institute of Culture and Arts Studies 2011

not sure but might be Đại Việt sử lược which marks the beginning of Vietnamese history with Zhao Tuo's rule not the Hung Kings, that came later, also notice how it says the Ming looted all of Vietnamese historical records yet conveniently this 3 volume account still survives having been held by the Ming and Qing and then later returned, why didn't they just destroy it along with everything else? doesn't sound right to me, though it is Wikipedia so I don't know if it's trustworthy or not (I can't post links)

You are Cantonese with your nick "yue" , you are not Vietnamese. When you show in your ID North Korean flags, you show of your smuggler mentality, try to cheat other members here.

On topic, what contribution has Vietnam made to the world? Both in modern and ancient history, apart from being the place where political ideologies were fought?

Vietnam still communist or chinese communist as in only communist in name.
yes, a combination of both worlds, communism and capitalism
Also, was vietnam communism as crazy as china's ever in its history?
not as crazy as China with cultural revolution, but similar in economic failures at the beginning
How open is vietnam right now?
a bit more than China. For instance Vietnam adopts vote of confidence. The National Assembly has the power to remove any incompent and corrupt leaders from their posts, including State President, Prime Minister and members of central as well as local government.

Vietnam latest news - Thanh Nien Daily | Vietnam leaders pass first, historic confidence vote

Vietnam PM takes a hit in first-ever confidence vote | Reuters

Vietnam even considers allowing Same-sex marriage.

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/society/80315/same-sex-marriage-in-vn-still-long-way-off.html

I guess you are Asian, born in America, live in Africa but work in Australia. At the end of the day, after realizing you are just a 5 cent troller loving uncle Kim from North Korea, that is the reason why your both flags show North Korea.
The world-body organisation UNESCO believes in fairy tales, too.

maybe UNESCO also believes that the beauty of Ha Long Bay is the result of dragons 'spitting out jade and jewels' unfortunately for Vietnam this scholar does not believe in fairy tales

However, I argue that the discussion of the “Biography of the Hồng Bàng Clan” in this essay demonstrates that the Hùng kings did not exist. Instead, they were invented in the medieval era as part of a process in which the Sinicized elite in the Red River Delta first created and then articulated a distinct identity in terms of China’s cultural heritage.
www_academia.edu/3554295/The_Biography_of_the_H_ng_Bang_Clan_as_a_Medieval_Vietnamese_Invented_Tradition

You are Cantonese with your nick "yue" , you are not Vietnamese. When you show in your ID North Korean flags, you show of your smuggler mentality, try to cheat other members here.

I'm not trying to cheat anyone, I don't want to pick any sides so I put the DPRK flag up, like I said my surname is Nguyen and I'm not Hoa

You are liar.

Nguyen Dynasty is founded by Gialong Emperor, he is South Vietnamese Kinh. General secretary of VCP Le Duan, he is South Vietnamese Kinh. They both have been re-united Vietnam after civil wars. They could be considered as delegates of superior Kinh ethnic.

Nguyen Dynasty was loser when fought against France colonials because our country was small, weak; with limited population and backwards in technology of weapons. So that both Cochinchina (south Vietnam) and Tonkin (North Vietnam) were occupied by France with force. We regained our independence 1945, beating all our enemies from our soil: 1954 France, 1975 USA and 1979 China.

media in Vietnam talks trash about Southern Vietnamese girls from the Mekong Delta and blames them for marrying foreigners. They are mostly Minh Huong girls and their relatives. They are victims of Chinese human traffickers came from Taiwan and mainland China.

That why the Numbers of Hua people in Vietnam is reduced to around 850,000 people now.

In contrast, Man Qing sold you to Britain to compensation of war.

just be honest and say that it was your own people who sold out their country, you should actually blame greedy Gia Long for allowing the French exclusive rights in Vietnam in the first place then next would be the traitorous Catholics who saw religion as more important than their own country, how many countries have you people pleaded with for help only to turn around and stiff them later on, do people in Vietnam understand the meaning of honour or gratitude? by 'we' I assume you mean China + Soviets and also the voluntary US withdrawal because I don't know who the Vietnamese beat with their massive domestic arms supply

the Hoa were kicked out simply because you guys felt threatened by their presence, when you can't compete with those who are more naturally gifted in commerce the only thing you can do is drive them off under the pretences of communism and then extort them on their out, there is no shame with these guys really
However, the Vietnamese government by now not only encouraged the exodus, but took the opportunity to profit from it by extorting a price of five to ten taels of gold or an equivalent of US $1,500 to $3,000 per person wishing to leave the country.[126][127][128][129][130] The Vietnamese military also forcibly drove the thousands of border refugees across the China-Vietnam land border, causing numerous border incidents and armed clashes, while blaming these movements on China by accusing them of using saboteurs to force Vietnamese citizens into China.[

After Vietnam received a massive beating from France and Spain, it gave up and sold Cochinchina (mekong delta and Saigon) to the French.

In China and Taiwan our media doesn't seek to falsely blame the people of a particular region to cover up national shame or humiliation unlike Vietnam.
Actually Vietnam´s greatest weakness is the close relationship to China. The humiliation Vietnam suffered in the last 150 years won´t happen if Vietnam chose the Japan model instead: opening and modernisation of the country.

Yes, Vietnam did the historic mistake, despite independence from the northern neighbor, followed the Chinese model. That was dumb. That model is surely superior to her Southeastern Asian neighbors, but let Vietnam weak and helpless when Western Powers arrived in the 18 century.

It is time for Vietnam to scale down the relationship to China and increase with Japan.

^^the best way is Vietnam being our Special Administrative Region,like HK.then no territory dispute,no fishmen caught.Vietnam can focus on economy development and get support from central government,you may keep your army if needed.

Actually Vietnam´s greatest weakness is the close relationship to China. The humiliation Vietnam suffered in the last 150 years won´t happen if Vietnam chose the Japan model instead: opening and modernisation of the country.

Yes, Vietnam did the historic mistake, despite independence from the northern neighbor, followed the Chinese model. That was dumb. That model is surely superior to her Southeastern Asian neighbors, but let Vietnam weak and helpless when Western Powers arrived in the 18 century.

It is time for Vietnam to scale down the relationship to China and increase with Japan.

Japanese model doesn't work on every countries. Ottoman Turkey and Mughal India did the same thing - "opening and modernisation", look what happened to them.

Actually I think Thailand was a better model for Vietnam to learn.

I'm not trying to cheat anyone, I don't want to pick any sides so I put the DPRK flag up, like I said my surname is Nguyen and I'm not Hoa

just be honest and say that it was your own people who sold out their country, you should actually blame greedy Gia Long for allowing the French exclusive rights in Vietnam in the first place then next would be the traitorous Catholics who saw religion as more important than their own country, how many countries have you people pleaded with for help only to turn around and stiff them later on, do people in Vietnam understand the meaning of honour or gratitude? by 'we' I assume you mean China + Soviets and also the voluntary US withdrawal because I don't know who the Vietnamese beat with their massive domestic arms supply

the Hoa were kicked out simply because you guys felt threatened by their presence, when you can't compete with those who are more naturally gifted in commerce the only thing you can do is drive them off under the pretences of communism and then extort them on their out, there is no shame with these guys really

Emperor Gia Long was the first Emperor of the Nguyễn Dynasty of Vietnam. There is now modern Vietnam in the world map. It is big deal.

Gia Long's rule was noted for its Confucian orthodoxy first, and he tolerated the activities of Roman Catholic missionaries. It' was smart policy in his time. if he could open our country for business with Wests, like Minji Emperor did in Japan's ...Vietnam could have another way to development.

Vietnam's Govt today is following discussion with Vatican to prevent any misunderstanding, or outbreak of violence base on religious conflicts or any reasons could happen.

The Hoa people came to Vietnam from many reasons, we let them chance to live here like our brothers. They were highly over represented in business and commerce sector before 1975.

Why Hua people ran out from Vietnam 1977, 1978 ? when China backed Khmer Rouge to attack Vietnam in Viet-Cambot border. China believed that, without Hua chinese, Vietnam will collapse. China played Hua people carte, as known "nan Jiao" to against Vietnam.

You came to Vietnam it was your willing, you go out is base on your willing. We let you go.

When you "chung chi" to take place on boat with benzil, foods... and other fee to human traffickers help you go out, you blamed that govt of Vietnam collect its.

When you went to border in north 1978, but China don't let you turn back your homeland. It's problem of Chinese. But we don't let you make noisy and violation there.

Chinese are traitors.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom