What's new

History of Vietnam or What do you want to know about Vietnam?

Hi @Rent,

One area of interest I had in my undergraduate years was the the discourse on Fengjian system of Chinese antiquity. Its interesting that after the rebellion of An Lushan , there were political theorists during the Northern Song period that touted that the concept of Fengjian was rather anachronistic. These said political theorists influenced the statesmen and literati of the Northern Song Epoch and this led to the support of the Imperial Vision of centralization and interventionist policies that would define succeeding Imperial Dynasties. The Yuan implemented the same concept in their foreign policies as seen during their punitive expedition to the Kingdom of Singhasari in present day Java. The 2 failed invasions in Japan was also an example of the political lit that the Yuan Ruling Elite borrowed from the Song literati.

Your view?

Dear Nihonjin1051-San,

The way I see it is that Yuan adopted the Confucians way of thinking but failed to put it to practice before conquering China. They borrowed the system of the Han but failed to implement it correctly after conquering China. In my view, by placing people knowledgable of the system at the bottom of the ladder prevented this system to function as it should. Mongols were skilled at land warfares on horseback, but lacked naval warfare knowledge and diplomatic skills. There were also no check system in place to audit corrupted officials.

Mongols traditions and habits were hard to break. They would have been better off keeping their exiting Mongol system and allow their newly acquired citizen to slowly adapt to them. This government, then, can slowly change and shift as necessary to meet its needs, slowly absorbing Han's philosophies into the Mongolian's system of governance, allowing few capable scholars to rise into suitable positions within its regime. This government should focus on economic growth, its citizens and defense to strengthen itself rather than impulsive invasions into unfamiliar warfares.

After Kublai and his son's reign, the next generations of Yuan Emperors were consider to Mongols to be the illegitimate ruler of the vast Mongolian Empire. This left a huge gap in common understanding and shared ideologies, a break in the chain of orders between the ruling class and the Han class since the Mongolian and Semuren class were never fully sinicized to adapt to the Han system. With this lost of connection, there were no cohesiveness among officials. The new generation of Yuan Emperors were powerless in maintaining orders within their court. Yuan's government subsequently became unstable, which is evidenced to their vulnerability to corruptions and rebellions.

Last edited:
I guess there are Hung Dao King Tran Quoc Tuan (or commonly known as Tran Hung Dao) and Quang Trung King Nguyen Hue. The first was the hero leading VNese fought against Mongolian/ Yuan invasions at their prime, while the later lead VN to victory against both Siam and Qing one after another (his legendary march from South VN to North VN is often talked about today). There are also other heroes like Ly Thuong Kiet, Le Loi, Ngo Quyen etc.

BTW is this your new account? I remember there is another East Lake mem around PDF a while ago.
It is quite amusing for a person to use a book written 830 years later to claim they have "debunked" a history encyclopedia compiled during the dynasty.

Anyhow, my favorite is Lê Lợi. I like the legend behind it, with the Thuan Thien sword and the Lake of Returned Sword.

@dichoi, who is your favorite?

I guess there are Hung Dao King Tran Quoc Tuan (or commonly known as Tran Hung Dao) and Quang Trung King Nguyen Hue. The first was the hero leading VNese fought against Mongolian/ Yuan invasions at their prime, while the later lead VN to victory against both Siam and Qing one after another (his legendary march from South VN to North VN is often talked about today). There are also other heroes like Ly Thuong Kiet, Le Loi, Ngo Quyen etc.

BTW is this your new account? I remember there is another East Lake mem around PDF a while ago.

I've had this account for a little time. I was recommended by a friend to talk to other Indians like him about Asia. I left because this website is mainly for boys and too many arguments, which is very sad.

I've had this account for a little time. I was recommended by a friend to talk to other Indians like him about Asia. I left because this website is mainly for boys and too many arguments, which is very sad.
I am sorry you feel this way.

I agree, there are too many people intentionally trying to provoke arguments with others.

Trolled? Meaning? I don't know about that, sorry.
西湖 is Western Lake. 东湖 is East Lake. My family come from 山东. You know a little bit Chinese? It's very good!
are you a girl from shandong? cool.

It is quite amusing for a person to use a book written 830 years later to claim they have "debunked" a history encyclopedia compiled during the dynasty.

Anyhow, my favorite is Lê Lợi. I like the legend behind it, with the Thuan Thien sword and the Lake of Returned Sword.

@dichoi, who is your favorite?

Of course, I'm with a little bit regionalism.

Last edited:
She doesn't know either.

Can you post a photo of your wife, is she beautiful? I'm curious.
are you nuts?
okay, I can tell you she has some similarities to this beauty :laugh:

20140715143011-1.jpg

Shandong girl (Qi Guo woman) beauty is very famous in China's history. " Đẹp như con gái nước Tề" --- " as beautiful as Qi Guo girls". It is the proverb in ancient China.

your avatar girl is beautifully too.

Vietnamese kick Chinese *** in 1044 b.c.--viet logic for debate.

Bro, these viet monkeys should pay you for history lessons, it's informative. How can they even try and debate Chinese history without ability to read Chinese.

Pinoy appear smarter than Viets.
I wonder why you moron love to resort to insulting. this thread is about VN, not CN. the topic of discussion is slipped to your country by reasons. we can change the discussion.

Grand Historian, I don´t have access to original vietnamese sources, why we decided to strike pre-emptively on the Song army in South China. My best guess is we had reasons to do so, considering China supported the hostilities of the Kingdoms of Champa and Khmer against Vietnam. the likelyhood was high we faced the possibility of a three-front war. Look at the map: we were surrounded by China in the north, and Champa/Khmer in the south. What would you do if you were in our place?

Champa was our nemesis. the army of Champa launched 10 invasions into Dai Viet. Did China do anything to help Vietnam? No.

3b3d86c67964f1fc5e00dee34ff38448.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom