What's new

HAS-250 anti ship missile(UAE)

Philip the Arab

Reaction score
Country
Jordan
1614219221704.png

The HAS-250 is a UAE-designed and developed surface-to-surface missile capable of travelling at speeds of up to 0.8 Mach, with a range of over 250Km. During its terminal phase, it can fly towards its target at a sea-skimming altitude of below 5m.

Engineered to provide the highest performance, the HAS-250 utilises Global Navigation Satellite and Inertial Navigation Systems (GNSS + INS) and for high accuracy targeting it is equipped with an active/passive terminal seeker and radio altimeter.

Saeed Al Mansoori, CEO of HALCON said: “Our focus on smart capabilities continue to deepen as we produce world-class products locally. The HAS-250 is a significant advancement in our quest to equip naval forces with the highest performing cruise missile system. Designed and developed by HALCON in the UAE, this weapon will assist in the active defence of the UAE’s water ways, and build on EDGE’s expanding reputation for being bold, agile, and disruptive.”

HALCON is part of the Missiles & Weapons cluster within EDGE, an advanced technology group for defence that ranks among the top 25 military suppliers in the world.

SAAB exhibits products and solutions for maritime defense IMDEX 2019 925 001
Launching container for HAS-250

1614219087317.png

F2AF158D-94DB-49DC-88EF-B6100C7C4046.jpeg

I have also heard that a team of 3 engineers at Halcon developed 3 different turbojet engines but not sure if any are large enough to power this.
@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @JamD
You guys might know more about engines for cruise missiles?

05C3CC98-208E-48FB-BF04-06EB2F9C0E6B.jpeg

1BCBB7C7-8E5C-4B4A-A979-26D7C01B60F1.jpeg

Screenshot_20210224-225242_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:
I have also heard that a team of 3 engineers at Halcon developed 3 different turbojet engines but not sure if any are large enough to power this.
@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @JamD
You guys might know more about engines for cruise missiles?

View attachment 719782

View attachment 719784
View attachment 719798
The jets in the picture seem too small to power the missile but that doesn't preclude others being used. For an idea the engine powering the harpoon is around 30 inches long so bigger than these.

The jets in the picture seem too small to power the missile but that doesn't preclude others being used. For an idea the engine powering the harpoon is around 30 inches long so bigger than these.
I wish somebody grabbed those brochures, thats too bad. I found another picture though of the biggest engine. How much thrust do you think it could generate? Enough for maybe a small cruise missile like SOM possibly?

05C3CC98-208E-48FB-BF04-06EB2F9C0E6B.jpeg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
The missile might be too big to be carry by mid size multi role fighter jet for anti-ship missile.

But I do note its higher attacking range compare to other similar class of anti-ship missile like Harpoon and Exocet and C-802.

The missile might be too big to be carry by mid size multi role fighter jet for anti-ship missile.

But I do note its higher attacking range compare to other similar class of anti-ship missile like Harpoon and Exocet and C-802.
I think it can fit the F-16E, it carries the PGM-2000 which weighs 1115 kg which is a little less than the HAS-250 at 1200 kg. It will need Lockheed help with integration but in theory it could be done.

22.jpg

Also, pure GNSS guidance conversion shouldn't be too difficult for hitting land targets, even a GLCM should be very useful for attacking targets.

Last edited:
@JamD @Philip the Arab

IIRC most MTCR-compliant AShM/ALCMs need a miniature turbojet in the high-2 or low-3 kN range.

So if Halcon's engines cover those ranges, then they should be able to power the HAS-250 as well as an indigenous ALCM akin to SOM (which I'm sure the UAE will develop). That said, these engines are generally available commercially, so I also expect the UAE to market its engines as standalone products.

However, if you're going cross the MTCR -- e.g., field something like the Ra'ad-series or Babur-series -- you'll likely need a more powerful and efficient engine. I know the Tomahawk at least uses a miniature turbofan.

This alone tells you that the Ra'ad or Babur aren't a joke. If NESCOM developed key inputs, such as the FCS, then we're seriously handicapping ourselves by not letting that IP flow to other bureaus (like AvRID).

As I said elsewhere, a loyal wingman UAV is an evolution of target drone and ALCM technology (whereas UCAVs seem closer in size and complexity to fighter aircraft).

@JamD @Philip the Arab

IIRC most MTCR-compliant AShM/ALCMs need a miniature turbojet in the high-2 or low-3 kN range.

So if Halcon's engines cover those ranges, then they should be able to power the HAS-250 as well as an indigenous ALCM akin to SOM (which I'm sure the UAE will develop). That said, these engines are generally available commercially, so I also expect the UAE to market its engines as standalone products.

However, if you're going cross the MTCR -- e.g., field something like the Ra'ad-series or Babur-series -- you'll likely need a more powerful and efficient engine. I know the Tomahawk at least uses a miniature turbofan.

This alone tells you that the Ra'ad or Babur aren't a joke. If NESCOM developed key inputs, such as the FCS, then we're seriously handicapping ourselves by not letting that IP flow to other bureaus (like AvRID).

As I said elsewhere, a loyal wingman UAV is an evolution of target drone and ALCM technology (whereas UCAVs seem closer in size and complexity to fighter aircraft).
Yeah, the engine is too weak I found the brochure and the strongest turbojet generates 1kn of thrust. They are being developed for different missile, and UAV applications. The engineer of (Indian?) South African descent designed a few turbojets at a South African company before moving to the UAE and likely based their design on these turbojets.

Unclear if they are going to work on more engines or buy off the shelf engines, the engine being named HS-350 may point to it generating 3.5kn thrust similar to the amount that you said it would likely use.

No clue if UAE will pursue a non-MTCR missile, but they are working on Kamikaze UAVs with 450km range suggesting that they may not follow MTCR. Although not sure if that would even apply considering it is below 450kg of weight.

Loyal Wingman type UAV is certainly a big advancement that will require drone, and AI technologies for sure, but should be as you said an extension of previously learned technology.

Engines from Halcon

Screenshot_20210227_204515.jpg

1616618435936.png

1616618460765.png

1616618469800.png

Last edited:

Right. There are a lot of people who know their stuff. But we're utilizing maybe 10% of their potential - THAT is the issue.

Honestly, I don't think IP will ever flow to AvRID from strategic organizations because AvRID is essentially competition. Furthermore, AvRID is doing things way more openly (thankfully) so they will have to develop their own IP, if they survive long enough, which I really really hope they do.

Right. There are a lot of people who know their stuff. But we're utilizing maybe 10% of their potential - THAT is the issue.

Honestly, I don't think IP will ever flow to AvRID from strategic organizations because AvRID is essentially competition. Furthermore, AvRID is doing things way more openly (thankfully) so they will have to develop their own IP, if they survive long enough, which I really really hope they do.
lack of collaboration..
honestly they dont need to get the IPs, they can simply source the materials from each other

lack of vision and lack of thought process

The biggest edge AvRID has its willingness to work with the private sector. The latter confers it an existing R&D base that can work swiftly. If AvRID keeps contracting inputs and subsystems out to the private sector, it can work at a relatively fast velocity. Basically, if there's a chance for a conventional SOW succeeding the H-2 and H-4, it might come from AvRID before NESCOM (as AvRID will 'suck it up' and ask others to create a new solution like the Turkish SOM or Raptor III).

A little drawing I made of the HAS-250 in Kuwait, Bahrain, and the UAE that would cover most the Gulf in Anti ship missiles

1616787850093.png

There is also the possibility of deploying the missile on the island of Mayyun which would allow to effectively have a choke point for any hostile forces.

1616787960760.png

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom