What's new

HAIDER: UNDERSTANDING PAKISTAN’S NEXT-GENERATION TANK

I hope something happens quick as the Pakistani army armour shortage is critical against the IA.

But firstly the IAF is too strong right now , the paf needs multi layered Sams and a fifth gen asap

It does have multilayered defence. The next step is covering the long-range SAM requirement.

I hope something happens quick as the Pakistani army armour shortage is critical against the IA.

It does have multilayered defence. The next step is covering the long-range SAM requirement.

The focus should be on making long columns of armor obsolete. The enemy has shown his hand by investing heavily in a known platform with known capabilities. We don't need to repeat his mistake, we need to make full use of his mistake.

They may have multi-layered defence, but is it good enough against Rafale, Su30 and Brahmos? I want dedicated mobile units that move along with the army and good enough even against 5th gen threats such as F-35.

They may have multi-layered defence, but is it good enough against Rafale, Su30 and Brahmos? I want dedicated mobile units that move along with the army and good enough even against 5th gen threats such as F-35.

Yes it is bro, the HQ-16 is an excellent mobile platform which moves with the forces.
But anyway let's keep it to tanks.

Well my suggestion is we should invest 500 million into Tank Engine research and worry about Tank platform later

Pakistan procuring 600 Tanks to strengthen capability including Russian T-90S and Indigenous Haider

T-90.jpg

As part of revamping its armoured fleet by 2025, Pakistan has decided to procure 600 battle tanks, including T-90 tanks from Russia, besides producing indigenously codenamed "Haider MBT" with the help of China to bolster its military might along the border with India, Times of India reported on Sunday.

Reportedly, most of the tanks Pakistan is procuring will be able to hit targets at a range of 3 to 4 km. Apart from battle tanks, Pakistan Army is also procuring 245 150mm SP Mike-10 guns from Italy out of which it has already received 120 guns, the report added.

The report stated that Pakistan is eyeing to buy from Russia a batch of T-90 battle tanks- the mainstays of the armoured regiments of the Indian Army and that the move reflects Islamabad’s intent to forge a deeper defence engagement with Moscow.

Russia has been India’s largest and most trusted defence supplier post Independence.

Reportedly, as part of the mega plan to significantly revamp its armoured fleet by 2025, Pakistan has decided to procure at least 360 battle tanks globally besides producing 220 tanks indigenously with help from its close ally China.

Pakistan Army’s move to enhance its armoured corps comes at a time when the Line of Control (LoC) has witnessed growing hostilities in the last year.

The Indian Army had drawn up a mega plan to modernise its infantry and armoured corps. However, almost all the procurement projects including the Futuristic Infantry Combat Vehicle (FICV) programme are stuck due to a variety of reasons.

Reportedly, at present, over 70 per cent of the tanks in Pakistan’s armoury has the capability to operate during the night which is a matter of concern for India.

MODERNISING TANK FLEET:

Besides eyeing to procure T-90 tanks, Pakistan Army is also in the process of inducting Chinese VT-4 tanks as well as Oplod-P tanks from Ukraine, the report stated. Trials for both Oplod and VT-4 tanks have already been conducted by the Pakistan Army.

At present, Pakistan is learnt to have around 17 units of Chinese origin T-59 and T69 tanks, which comprise 30 per cent of its total tank strength, the report added.

It also has 12 regiments of Al-Zarar tanks, which makes 20 per cent of the tank fleet while Ukraine origin T-80-UD and T-85 UD, as well as upgraded version of T-59 tanks, comprise the rest of the 50 per cent tank fleet, the report further stated.

“The Pakistan Army is carrying out modernisation of its armoured regiments in a calibrated and time-bound manner which is not the case in India,” said an expert, who wished not to be named.

Haider MBT should be altogether a new tank for PA and can export :

The VT-4 is China’s premier export tank, built on technology and designs behind the earlier Al-Khalid tank that was built with cooperation from Pakistan and Ukraine

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/china-selling-its-new-ztz-99-tank-anyone-buying-84876

The VT-4’s roots are in the Al-Khalid tank developed in the 1990s. The Al-Khalid tank was largely built with mostly Chinese and Pakistani technology, but a sore spot for the Chinese designers was their lack of ability to provide a power plant for the tank. The engines for the tank had to be sourced from Germany or Ukraine. Ukraine ended up providing the production run for the Al-Khalid tank. As a result, the VT-4 program’s primary objective when it began in 2009 was to build an indigenous power plant for future domestic and export tanks. Due to the success of this engine development program, many VT-4 marketing materials tout the reliability and performance of its engine.

While the capabilities of the VT-4 are not revolutionary in any way (unlike some claims from Norinco), it is a solid tank for its price, that will likely have good support from the manufacturing base in China. Survivability wise, it has the same potential issues of the T-72 and T-90 series due to the same ammo layout. While the gun performance is unlikely to be on the same level as the latest American, Chinese or Russian guns, due to being based on last-generation round technology, it should be enough to counter most armored threats that aren’t top tier. As such, the VT-4 is likely to be a popular export to nations without the budget or political connections to Russia, Europe or the United States, as a “good enough” tank. Then again, similar things were said about the Stingray light tank, for which the Royal Thai Army is also the only user.

i always wonder, as to why PA has so many different type of tanks, does it not adds complex supply line and maintenance nightmare? namely

AK [all versions]
AZ
t-80ud
type85 IIAP
type 69
Type 59

and now alhaider

not sure what i am missing?

i always wonder, as to why PA has so many different type of tanks, does it not adds complex supply line and maintenance nightmare? namely

AK [all versions]
AZ
t-80ud
type85 IIAP
type 69
Type 59

and now alhaider

not sure what i am missing?
Type-59 and Type-69 share many common component in fact we can say that they are variant of same baseline, while Type-85II AP also share common components from these two tanks ..... so these are not totally different tanks but upgrades of subsystems, armours etc

Back
Top Bottom