What's new

Gulf cup 2014 moved to Jeddah, Iraq withdrew

Ill be rooting strongly for Algeria. They have great chance to qualify with theirr away goals.
Too bad about Egypt match. I also wanted them to make it, however they are going through something profound in their country, and football is probably not the top priority right now.
Off course one match remains, but dont think they realisticlly can recover from 6-1 loss..

You are rooting for Arab teams? LOL. What's next? Israel?:coffee:

Egypt have no chance unfortunately. To recover and qualify from a 6-1 defeat within a month will be impossible. Algeria have a big chance of qualifying against Burkina Faso but you never know with African teams.

Saudi Arabia has stil scored the best goal during a World Cup for any Arab, Middle Eastern and Muslim nation when we won against Belgium during the World Cup in 1994.

‫(

Saeed Al Owairan goal for Saudi Arabia - YouTube

:yay:

Advanced from the group too and only narrowly lost 2-1 to Netherlands in the group stages. Netherlands scored in the 86th minute.

Those were the times, LOL. Sadly I don't remember them at all given that I was barely born!:lol:

1994 FIFA World Cup Group F - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are rooting for Arab teams? LOL. What's next? Israel?:coffee:

Egypt have no chance unfortunately. To recover and qualify from a 6-1 defeat within a month will be impossible. Algeria have a big chance of qualifying against Burkina Faso but you never know with African teams.

Saudi Arabia has stil scored the best goal during a World Cup for any Arab, Middle Eastern and Muslim nation when we won against Belgium during the World Cup in 1994.

‫(

Saeed Al Owairan goal for Saudi Arabia - YouTube

:yay:

Advanced from the group too and only narrowly lost 2-1 to Netherlands in the group stages. Netherlands scored in the 86th minute.

Those were the times, LOL. Sadly I don't remember them at all given that I was barely born!:lol:

1994 FIFA World Cup Group F - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saudi Arabia was at its best during those years. That was a magnificent goal by Al Owairan.
SA has declined over the years. Iran has too unfortunately. Although it appears that Saudi Arabia is finding its form again recently. Next years Asia Cup will be interesting.

Saudi Arabia was at its best during those years. That was a magnificent goal by Al Owairan.
SA has declined over the years. Iran has too unfortunately. Although it appears that Saudi Arabia is finding its form again recently. Next years Asia Cup will be interesting.

Yeah, Saudi Arabia's heydays began in the middle of the 1980's and continued until 2007. In that period we took part in 4 world cups in a row (1994, 1998, 2002 and 2006) and in that same period we won the Asian Cup 3 times and reached the final another 3 teams although losing them. Twice to Japan and once to Iraq in 2007. The latest in 2007. We also competed in the FIFA Confederations Cup and came second and fourth on two occasions. The first 3 tournaments were even held in Riyadh (1992, 1995 and 1997).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Asian_Cup

FIFA Confederations Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was a really successful period.

In that same period (mid 1980's until the mid 2000's) Saudi Arabian football teams also won the Asian Champions League trophy (AFC Champions League) 4 times and reached the final 5 times. So in that period every second year a Saudi Arabian team was in the final.

AFC Champions League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now when a few promising talents are emerging the immediate future looks more promising than between 2007-2012. The old guard that was long expired is also mostly gone. Also the Spanish coach which was appointed in January this year have helped a lot. The team is also very young.

The Saudi Arabia national under-20 football team also reached the World Cup in 2011 and reached the round 16.

Still the youth teams should and could be much better. I hope that the Spanish coach can start some kind of transformation and a culture of focusing on the youth much more.

I doubt KSA will have any chance of winning the Asian Cup as long as Japan, South Korea and UAE (look out for them they have an amazingly talented team for the region) are around. But you never know. Teams such as KSA that have a rich history in that tournament and a winning mentality can always pose a danger. Add that Spanish manager.

Juan Ramón López Caro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Between 2007 and January 2013 the team had 6 different managers (!). Among them Frank Rijkaard who was pathetic LOL. So I hope that some stability will occur with López Caro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqqBeFUwMZA

You don't say that Frank.:lol:

Only good game with Frank Rijkaard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y63LlQ_2YB8

Anyway the infrastructure for football and sport in general in KSA will be world class once all the top modern sport cities are finished. So infrastructure should not be a problem.

:lol:

Lionel Messi In Saudi Arabia - YouTube

Look at the AK 47. The fools could have killed poor Messi! Only in KSA.

rliz4g.jpg

:omghaha:

Anyway could this topic be changed to a thread about Arab/Middle Eastern football? Both domestic and international? I mean mostly national teams of course but also local football teams in connection to the Asian Champions League? How about that?

What is wrong with Al Jazeera 7abibi? They have probably the best football/sport coverage in the Arab World and plenty of great/famous commentators from across the Arab World. They are also great to cover European football.

Qatar is irrelevant here.:coffee:

Eldjazira conditionned the retransmission right on the opening of an office in Algiers on top of the hefty price for the game.
Eldjazira become a tool in what ills the moslem world and a vehicle for the expansion of the terror. There is nothing new there, it is just Algerian are fed up with it..Egyptians follow suit for the same reasons.

Ill be rooting strongly for Algeria. They have great chance to qualify with theirr away goals.
Too bad about Egypt match. I also wanted them to make it, however they are going through something profound in their country, and football is probably not the top priority right now.
Off course one match remains, but dont think they realisticlly can recover from 6-1 loss..

Football was never an exact science, especially African Football. For Egypt to overcome the burden and qualify for Brasil against Ghana is a tall order, but not impossible...For Algeria, I think that our chance is better than Egypt, but we are talking African football here...:omghaha:

Eldjazira conditionned the retransmission right on the opening of an office in Algiers on top of the hefty price for the game.
Eldjazira become a tool in what ills the moslem world and a vehicle for the expansion of the terror. There is nothing new there, it is just Algerian are fed up with it..Egyptians follow suit for the same reasons.

I don't know what happened in that particular incident. All I am saying is that Al-Jazeera have a great football and sport coverage and many famous Arab commentators that have been employed by them. I don't put much emphasis on politics here, Qatar, MB or whatever. I am just interested in watching the best football and sport coverage with some good commentators.

@Ceylal

Congratulations with the qualification. At least we will have 1 Arab country present now when Egypt failed earlier today against Ghana. Although all of us would and will be canon fodder when the tournament starts.

In other words KSA beat Iraq once again at home in Damman and has now qualified for the Asian Cup which will take place in Australia in January 2015. Might win a record fourth title and equal Japans record. The aim is now World Cup qualification for the World Cup in Russia in 2018 which should be possible. Doubt that I will be on this forum in 5 years time (LOL) or even if it will exist but I predict that KSA and UAE will be present in the next World Cup. KSA for the fifth time and UAE for the first time if I recall it correctly. Especially UAE have a cracking team right now.

@Aeronaut

Can you please move all those topics about football and maybe create a thread about football on this section? Can we do that?

[video]
[/video]
[video]
[/video]

I don't know what happened in that particular incident. All I am saying is that Al-Jazeera have a great football and sport coverage and many famous Arab commentators that have been employed by them. I don't put much emphasis on politics here, Qatar, MB or whatever. I am just interested in watching the best football and sport coverage with some good commentators.
Hassani, Eldjazira whether it is the sport side or the political side of it, it is a de facto political arm of the Qatari ruler and he uses it like Mobarek used the Arab league as an extension of his foreign policy.

Last edited:
@Ceylal, sometimes you have to look past the politics for once. You can always include politics in everything. In sport politics should be left out if possible. I mean when I watch a channel, in this case the excellent sport coverage of Al Jazeera (IMO), then I don't think about it being owned by Qatar at all.

Anyway did you hear Cheb Khaled songs all day after the qualification today.:lol: ;)

Still remember those songs from my time in Paris.

Anyway I am happy for Algeria and the people. Make us proud.

@Aeronaut

Could you please change the title of this thread to something like "Arab and African football thread"? So it will be relevant for the section.

Thank you.

Rai is not my kind of music...Folk music is my cup of tea..
[video]
[/video]

Speaking about Algeria.

I just took a quick look at your team and the players really play at some big clubs. I must say and good leagues. Much better than most countries of the Middle East if not all IMO. Really impressive.

Algeria national football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also I noticed that two players play for Inter.

Saphir Sliti Taider:

25i0huc.jpg

and

Ishak Belfodil

2dc722t.jpg

They look like familiar faces. Must be because I have seen people look like them in KSA and other Arabs.:lol:

I know Sofiane Feghouli. He plays for Valencia.

15hrw1.jpg

Is there a reason why Nadir Belhadj is not playing anymore? I remember him from his time in Qatari football I believe it was and Premier League. Was a good defender.

25rihqq.jpg

Speaking about Algeria.

I just took a quick look at your team and the players really play at some big clubs. I must say and good leagues. Much better than most countries of the Middle East if not all IMO. Really impressive.

Algeria national football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also I noticed that two players play for Inter.

Saphir Sliti Taider:

25i0huc.jpg

and

Ishak Belfodil

2dc722t.jpg

They look like familiar faces. Must be because I have seen people look like them in KSA and other Arabs.:lol:

I know Sofiane Feghouli. He plays for Valencia.

15hrw1.jpg

Is there a reason why Nadir Belhadj is not playing anymore? I remember him from his time in Qatari football I believe it was and Premier League. Was a good defender.

25rihqq.jpg
Welcome back :-)

Back
Top Bottom