What's new

Gripen for Bangladesh?

The Rafale price to India is much higher than that.
Sweden will pay $72M for their Gripen E.
Denmark was quoted $64M IIRC.
Pricing varies depending on dollar rates vs the Krona.
The Big question is if Bangla Desh will get approval to buy.

The 85 million US dollars is the flyaway cost of the fighter. Indians are also paying for weapons, training, two maintenance depots and 10 years of maintenance and that is why over 9 billion US dollars for only 36 planes. India only agreed to buy Rafale when France offered to sell the fighter at the price the French air-force was buying it for.

Whatever the actual cost is, Gripen E would be around 2/3rds of what a Rafale or Eurofighter would cost. It also is much cheaper to operate and so would be ideal for a country like BD that does not spend that much money on defence.

We know that the big hurdle would be USA because of the engine, but in your opinion would Sweden object to selling Gripen to BD?

You know this thread had no basic and till now there is no real offer from SAAB defense to Bangladesh regarding their products. They will always making official sites and big advertisement if they are seriously offering their flagship products to any Country

Like this one

http://saab.com/region/indonesia/

Or this one

http://saab.com/region/india/

Or like this

http://saab.com/region/thailand/

And till now Bangladesh is nowhere in their prospective buyer radar.

That is because BD had never shown interest in buying from Sweden.

Gripen in some ways is ideal for BD as it is cheaper than any other Western fighter and has the lowest operational costs as well. Unlike a decade or two ago, BD now has money to buy 2/3 squadrons of a fighter like Gripen.

You know this thread had no basic and till now there is no real offer from SAAB defense to Bangladesh regarding their products. They will always making official sites and big advertisement if they are seriously offering their flagship products to any Country

Like this one

http://saab.com/region/indonesia/

Or this one

http://saab.com/region/india/

Or like this

http://saab.com/region/thailand/

And till now Bangladesh is nowhere in their prospective buyer radar.

There is no offer, it's just a discussion whether Gripen will be a good option for us.

I think if we can pull out a non-controversial general elections, Gripen could become a major option. We have good diplomatic relations with Sweden, the recent meeting on the Rohingya crisis at the UNSC was called upon by Sweden.

@A.P. Richelieu

2. Sweden has a policy of no resupply for countries at war.
There is no such policy in place.
The policy was updated in 1992, and allows countries which has been approved
and has ordered materiel to get spare parts, ammunition, and even completely new units.
Even before 1992 this was the case but due to the formulation of the law,
the government decided not to ship stuff to Iraq when fighting Iran, and Serbia
right after the dissolution of Yugoslavia.
Contracts have been signed where the Swedish Government has agreed to followon support
in case of war. Two examples of such contracts are the Bofors Howitzers, where India got spare parts during the Kargil War, and a contract with Pakistan for submarines.

The 85 million US dollars is the flyaway cost of the fighter. Indians are also paying for weapons, training, two maintenance depots and 10 years of maintenance and that is why over 9 billion US dollars for only 36 planes. India only agreed to buy Rafale when France offered to sell the fighter at the price the French air-force was buying it for.

Whatever the actual cost is, Gripen E would be around 2/3rds of what a Rafale or Eurofighter would cost. It also is much cheaper to operate and so would be ideal for a country like BD that does not spend that much money on defence.

We know that the big hurdle would be USA because of the engine, but in your opinion would Sweden object to selling Gripen to BD?

That is because BD had never shown interest in buying from Sweden.

Gripen in some ways is ideal for BD as it is cheaper than any other Western fighter and has the lowest operational costs as well. Unlike a decade or two ago, BD now has money to buy 2/3 squadrons of a fighter like Gripen.

You should know SAAB is quite aggressive player out there when they heard any Country wants to modernize their Air Force fleets they will always pitch their solutions. But SAAB had no made any move regarding the possibility (if any) of Bd to acquire MRCA. you should not forget, your lot had made many threads regarding BAF want to buy this and that since last year (Like Jitenbi, Migs, Sukhoi), and then we are nearing the end of 2017, and there is still no progress at all. you know, after all seeing Is believing still gold nowadays.

You should know SAAB is quite aggressive player out there when they heard any Country wants to modernize their Air Force fleets they will always pitch their solutions. But SAAB had no made any move regarding the possibility (if any) of Bd to acquire MRCA. you should not forget, your lot had made many threads regarding BAF want to buy this and that since last year (Like Jitenbi, Migs, Sukhoi), and then we are nearing the end of 2017, and there is still no progress at all. you know, after all seeing Is believing still gold nowadays.

The other 3 countries have brought fighter planes from the West before. BD has only brought fighters from China and Russia. That is why Saab does not think that BD would be interested. Now it looks like the Russians are being
awkward with finalising the contract and so BD needs to look elsewhere as it desperately needs some modern planes.

Saab has been selling planes in single digits to countries like Thailand and I see no reason why they would not want to sell similar numbers to BD. The only question is will US allow it since the engine is theirs?

Depends on who You ask, two of the three parties forming the government coalition,
(The communist party is in the coalition, but not actually part of the government) objects to ALL Gripen exports. They are representing around 10% of the voters, so their influence is marginal.
The Social Democrats are split on selling weapons to abroad.
The party top is industrialists, and are aware that exports are needed to finance the defense of Sweden.
As I mentioned in a thread some months ago, one of the key criteria is that
do not want to see Swedish materiel used for something that would give them bad press.

BD is a border case, due to the unrest where bloggers get killed,
and risk of War with Myanmar.
Some people think that Sweden does not sell to Muslim countries,
but Indonesia has gotten approval.

BD will get approval, if it is in the interest of Sweden that BD buys.

SAAB would love to sell to BD, I am sure, but they might try to sell the Gripen C as well.

It's gas pipeline, not oil. And the gas will be pumped from the nearby Shwe Gas field, which means you will be transferring your own gas to China, what's this extra you are talking about??? :lol:
lol it's too obviously sure u dont know nothing about the project. :rofl::rofl: BD guys are master in talking about the shits they dont know exactly but always try to pretend they know everything.it have 2 line.one for gas which come from Shwe gas Field and one for oil which is imported from ME.Myanmar got 10% of crude oil which 2million tons per year. lol

http://chinaplus.cri.cn/news/china/9/20170331/2343.html
As for the oil pipeline, which runs in parallel with the gas pipeline, it will have an annual capacity of 22 million tons of crude oil, with nearly 10 percent, or 2 million tons, being used in Myanmar, almost double the country's annual oil production.
The crude oil carried by the Myanmar-China pipelines is imported mainly from the Middle East.

Depends on who You ask, two of the three parties forming the government coalition,
(The communist party is in the coalition, but not actually part of the government) objects to ALL Gripen exports. They are representing around 10% of the voters, so their influence is marginal.
The Social Democrats are split on selling weapons to abroad.
The party top is industrialists, and are aware that exports are needed to finance the defense of Sweden.
As I mentioned in a thread some months ago, one of the key criteria is that
do not want to see Swedish materiel used for something that would give them bad press.

BD is a border case, due to the unrest where bloggers get killed,
and risk of War with Myanmar.
Some people think that Sweden does not sell to Muslim countries,
but Indonesia has gotten approval.

BD will get approval, if it is in the interest of Sweden that BD buys.

SAAB would love to sell to BD, I am sure, but they might try to sell the Gripen C as well.

Blogger issue has been pretty much resolved as the security services have all but wiped out the extremists that were carrying out the attacks.

War with Myanmar is very low to be honest. There is much more chance of war between India and Pakistan

Gripen C is a no go as BAF is only interested in planes with AESA radar. Sweden needs to bear in mind that if BD was to buy say 12 Gripens at first this would not be the end of it as it would eventually end up with something like 40 aircraft in total to replace all the F-7s.

Last edited:
HDI - Myanmar - .556 vs Bagladesh - .579
National Budget - Myanmar 15.22 Billion USD vs Bangladesh - 50 Billion USD
Per Capita GDP - Myanmar 1374 USD vs Bangladesh 1524 USD.

By the way do you even know what is HDI?

France

HDI : .897
National Budget - 1485 billion USD.
Per Capita GDP - 40K USD.

Excuse me,It was just an attempt to join the trollfest. Bye,kiss.

Blogger issue has been pretty much resolved as the security services have all but wiped out the extremists that were carrying out the attacks.

War with Myanmar is very low to be honest. There is much more chance of war between India and Pakistan

Gripen C is a no go as BAF is only interested in planes with AESA radar. Sweden needs to bear in mind that if BD was to buy say 12 Gripens at first this would not be the end of it as it would eventually end up with something like 40 aircraft in total to replace all the F-7s.

I don’t have detailed knowledge about the current situation in Bangla Desh,
so I can’t make a judgement.
The only way to find out is to send an RFI/RFQ.

Can we please keep this thread on topic?

Given that this thread is PURE conjecture and more accurately wishful thinking,
I can't really say there is an absolute contraindication to BAF obtaining the Gripen.

In fact, I think it may be a very real option, though I fault the BD government for
not realistically exploring it. Bangladesh is a very benign country. Its seen as a
responsible member of the global community. It really does not pose a threat to
its neighbors. Rather, it needs to build up its capability to protect itself.

What would potential barriers be?

Money? Politics? (Both in Sweden and other supplier nations as well as Bangladesh.), What else?

Is there really much difference in buying a Mig-35 versus a Gripen in terms of the hardware and capability and ability to operate the aircraft effectively.

I think the BIGGEST barrier that exists comes from within Bangladesh itself. Whether its a lack of vision, political will, corruption, whatever, I think we shoot OURSELVES in the foot.

I was happy to see that opinion piece in the newspaper recently about the Mig-35 not really being the best option for Bangladesh.

In anycase, I hope BAF steps out of its comfort zone and at least openly and publicly entertains the possibility of buying the Gripen.

Probably won't happen though.

Can we please keep this thread on topic?

Given that this thread is PURE conjecture and more accurately wishful thinking,
I can't really say there is an absolute contraindication to BAF obtaining the Gripen.

In fact, I think it may be a very real option, though I fault the BD government for
not realistically exploring it. Bangladesh is a very benign country. Its seen as a
responsible member of the global community. It really does not pose a threat to
its neighbors. Rather, it needs to build up its capability to protect itself.

What would potential barriers be?

Money? Politics? (Both in Sweden and other supplier nations as well as Bangladesh.), What else?

Is there really much difference in buying a Mig-35 versus a Gripen in terms of the hardware and capability and ability to operate the aircraft effectively.

I think the BIGGEST barrier that exists comes from within Bangladesh itself. Whether its a lack of vision, political will, corruption, whatever, I think we shoot OURSELVES in the foot.

I was happy to see that opinion piece in the newspaper recently about the Mig-35 not really being the best option for Bangladesh.

In anycase, I hope BAF steps out of its comfort zone and at least openly and publicly entertains the possibility of buying the Gripen.

Probably won't happen though.

For those that cannot wait...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kitty-Hawk...852640&hash=item1a1c192a8a:g:WzcAAOxy2FZSOPcs

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom