What's new

Greece, Armenia 'butchered' by Turkey in past, Greek president says

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should act civil instead of calling people names to bolster yourself in the eyes of other visiting countries. Then again it is Greece we are talking about here.

I expect more friendly fly overs and naval visits in the future. Keep lodging your complaints to the U.N.

so if the greek president won't say good things about turkey, you'll keep flying over our islands and disregard U.N. resolutions because ????

a) you are soooooo strong
b) you are sooooo respectful of the international law
c) you are sooooo determined to get along with your neighbors
d) you are just personally drunk with the propaganda of the all powerful turkey which just happens to have an imperialistic agenda..

for the million $ I would choose option d.. money in the bank jigs..

the only people who do not see the truth about turkey's foreign policy is .. .the turks and some desperate meek muslims across the world who are under the mistaken impression you are as ''muslim'' as they are .....

so if the greek president won't say good things about turkey, you'll keep flying over our islands and disregard U.N. resolutions because ????

I think the fly overs will happen regardless. It keeps you guys on your toes. We did try to seek better relations with Greece. Removing you off our threat list and such. Then your president cuts his visit and produces such comments. There is only so much we can compromise here on.

a) you are soooooo strong
b) you are sooooo respectful of the international law
c) you are sooooo determined to get along with your neighbors
d) you are just personally drunk with the propaganda of the all powerful turkey which just happens to have an imperialistic agenda..

We get along fine with neighbors that are not stuck in the past. Even the Arabs seemed to have moved on but Armenia and Greece keep their heads in the early 1900s. Imperialistic agenda huh ? What brings you to that conclusion ? Wasn't it you who tried to expand into half our country and support coups against Turks ?

for the million $ I would choose option d.. money in the bank jigs..

the only people who do not see the truth about turkey's foreign policy is .. .the turks and some desperate meek muslims across the world who are under the mistaken impression you are as ''muslim'' as they are .....

Our foreign policy has been made very clear by our FM. No problems with neighbors and that has certainly worked well on countries willing to move forward. Greece is still busy name calling. Once you have matured you can come talk to us.

I really doubt about this. How can you accuse ALL turks of not seeing Turkey's foreign policy? Did you personally have a conversation with about 70 million Turks? When you have a claim, you should think about the empirical background of that thesis, or should i say in your case "truth".

Look guys, honestly speaking i see this mud throwing as a waste of time. Greek people are much closer to Turks than you think and vice versa. We should corporate instead of fighting, we are more or less of the same ancestry, i know this might sound as a shock to many, but biologically and historically Turks and Greeks have many common roots, even today you can experience how much we resemble each other. It is however a shame that our countries teach its citizens to hate each other, that's another problem.

Actually, the truth is almost always in the middle.

Even in the extreme case of the Nazi Holocaust, there were prominent Jewish individuals who helped the Nazis against their own people, the gypsies, the Poles, etc.

There you go. It is one version of events. The Turks have a different version.

Nobody's denying that Armenians suffered at the hands of the Turks. What is at issue is how much complicity there was on the part of militant Armenian nationalists to backstab their Turkish compatriots during the Russian war.

Did they turn upon unarmed Turkish civilians to conduct their own masssacres? The Turks claim so.

I sympathize with your own personal story and no one is excusing killing. It's a matter of acknowledging that the other side also has legitimate grievances.

There was no complicity when it came to Armenians living in Ottoman Empire. Those unarmed Armenians did not betray anyone. They became subject to the states well planned extermination policy carried out in eight stages. They had no idea what is going on.

The Armenians who fought with Russians were Russian Armenians (only 2000) and had nothing to do with Ottoman Armenians. However after it was discovered that we were being exterminated the few in between men not rounded up yet fought tooth and nail to protect their people and yes, they killed many Kurds and Turks but not unarmed civilians. Even the Turks in Istambul had no idea what was happening because the Armenians there were spared as into not cause panic. My grandmother could not understand what happened, she loved Turks. Many Turks tried to save Armenians and paid with there lives.

If we didn't fight back we would have lost everything and it would have been the last page in our history and nobody would have ever remember Armenians. We stopped the Turks 20 miles short of Yerevan in the battle of Sartarabad outgunned, outnumbered, out of bullits, with no food or provisions. You think Russians helped us? They sent the Armenian betalion to die in far away places instead sending them to help their people getting massacred.

Since then we have not lost to Turks (see my Avatar for another example). Empires may come and go but we Armenians will always remain.

There were

I really doubt about this. How can you accuse ALL turks of not seeing Turkey's foreign policy? Did you personally have a conversation with about 70 million Turks? When you have a claim, you should think about the empirical background of that thesis, or should i say in your case "truth".

Look guys, honestly speaking i see this mud throwing as a waste of time. Greek people are much closer to Turks than you think and vice versa. We should corporate instead of fighting, we are more or less of the same ancestry, i know this might sound as a shock to many, but biologically and historically Turks and Greeks have many common roots, even today you can experience how much we resemble each other. It is however a shame that our countries teach its citizens to hate each other, that's another problem.

Turkish politics is beyond most Turks, let alone outsiders. Example would be how people see Turkey devided between Kemalist and Islamist but that is far from the truth.

The Armenians who fought with Russians were Russian Armenians (only 2000) and had nothing to do with Ottoman Armenians.

and your friend said

In reality, there were approximately 6,000 troops out of the 120,000 members of the advancing Russian army who were of Armenian decent, the vast majority of which were Russian citizens fulfilling their duties. Only a very small fraction of those troops had defected from the Ottoman side.

Now you can see why neutral observers have a hard time swallowing one-sided version of events.

Now you can see why neutral observers have a hard time swallowing one-sided version of events.

They should not take any side....if they are in doubt or interested in the truth they should do their own research.
I would want to know who I am friends with.

They should not take any side....if they are in doubt or interested in the truth they should do their own research.
I would want to know who I am friends with.

Sorry, but I find your arguments insufficient. You come here with your already "illuminated" mind and start telling us the "truth". Sorry to say, but the truth has many faces if you approach it from that point of view.

Let me ask you something, if your friend has made his research properly, has he also made a research into how many turks were slaughtered, or have you chosen to ignore that part of history because you are only interested in a small part of what happened.

The same goes for the Greeks, all I hear whereever I am, "oh the turks were to bad to us, they did this, and they did that", give me a break. If you can't look back at your own past and criticize it, you've already proven your own shortsightedness.

Leave history to historian and not politics, but then again, by making it a political agenda, you can safely brainwash the people in different countries.

Canada will soon start brainwashing the kids with "armenian genocide" and soon when another 100 years has gone it'll be a footnote except that it will be written in history books as "armenien genocide" no one will bother with facts and truths.

And that is what I believe the armenians are aiming for.

Battle of Sardarabad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia this war occured when ottoman army already beaten by british,french,russian,italian forces.the date 1918.some armenian mention about this stupid battle as a victory.

after new mustafa kemal army pure turk(not like ottoman army)what happened to silly armenians lets remember

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sarikamish_(1920)
Battle of Oltu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kars_(1920)
Battle of Alexandropol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

after just 2 years new turkish army i cannot say even its a regular army beat up all the armenians in the same moment we were fighting with greek army plus we were busy with the invaders(britain,france,italy)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish-Armenian_War

Last edited:
I think the fly overs will happen regardless. It keeps you guys on your toes. We did try to seek better relations with Greece. Removing you off our threat list and such. Then your president cuts his visit and produces such comments. There is only so much we can compromise here on.

We get along fine with neighbors that are not stuck in the past. Even the Arabs seemed to have moved on but Armenia and Greece keep their heads in the early 1900s. Imperialistic agenda huh ? What brings you to that conclusion ? Wasn't it you who tried to expand into half our country and support coups against Turks ?

Our foreign policy has been made very clear by our FM. No problems with neighbors and that has certainly worked well on countries willing to move forward. Greece is still busy name calling. Once you have matured you can come talk to us.

Oh man.. do you really believe the things you write?

you really believe overflights are a result of someone's comments (see GP) ? If you do you are plain naive .
Overflights and disputes in the Aegean are a result of a very long term foreign policy that aims to achieve the goals set out a good 50 years ago.
Let's not close our eyes to these simple facts.

well, no arguments there. You are correct, I did not have 70mil conversations with 70mil different people.

in my defence I was referring (abstractly) to most of the active turkish members who seem to fall under the categories I listed in my previous post, with clear evidence our friends above who even after I told them what they will say, they went on and said it anyway.

I wouldn't call it mud throwing. The two countries have a history. No denying that.
Also Turkey has territorial demands off of Greece, something that is unacceptable.
Greeks in general are more than willing to put the history behind them, as evident by the number of Greeks visiting turkey, shopping there, establishing business relations etc. You must also remember that Greeks feel rather comfortable in near east as (myself included) still have living relatives who used to live in those areas.

However, no Greek can put behind him the everyday harassment over territory. This is kind of harder to forget, it happens every day and every night.

just a few days ago, Greek Navy helicopters had to 'sonar ping' a turkish submarine away from Kea. They even had to guide it out of the shallows because the ship was submerged and would inevitably lead to a catastrophic accident.
What kind of dumb behaviour is this from a serious country ?
Sending a submerged submarine is an offensive act, why must we take this just because we know it is a turkish submarine and you guys just 'regularly do these things' ???

would the turkish navy dare to send a submerged submarine into israel ?? I very much doubt it

see, it is not lack of will to remove oneself from the past, trust me, it has nothing to do with the past, it has very much to do with the present.

Oh man.. do you really believe the things you write?

you really believe overflights are a result of someone's comments (see GP) ? If you do you are plain naive .

Sarcasm much ?

Sarcasm much ?

yes, I do get sarcastic sometimes, apologies.
The validity of the point remains though.

you can't really believe it's a tick tack toe game between the two countries right ?

yes, I do get sarcastic sometimes, apologies.
The validity of the point remains though.

you can't really believe it's a tick tack toe game between the two countries right ?

Sarcasm off

Honestly idk why we keep doing fly overs over Greek islands maybe recon or patrol. That is something a air force official has to answer. I also don't have a clue as to why we sailed a obsolete B-Class corvette almost to Athens coastal waters. My guess would be this is actually not a governmental policy. Since previous administration the military did the same thing. It is probably some kind of doctrine they have.

The Greek president certainly has some animosity against Turkey though. He didn't have to make any statements like this but decided to call us barbarians. I am not sure as to what his motives were in saying that. Maybe to make Armenia happy.

just a few days ago, Greek Navy helicopters had to 'sonar ping' a turkish submarine away from Kea. They even had to guide it out of the shallows because the ship was submerged and would inevitably lead to a catastrophic accident.
What kind of dumb behaviour is this from a serious country ?
Sending a submerged submarine is an offensive act, why must we take this just because we know it is a turkish submarine and you guys just 'regularly do these things' ???

mm do you have a reliable source? imo defencenet.gr is not a good one. Now think about it...
a Turkish sub detected in greek waters near Kea island which is next to mainland right ? Then why you didnt turn it into swiss cheese ?
do you really think that sub just ranaway like that ?
one more thing ... why none of internationa and local media talk about it except a nationalist website ?there must be a complaint, a note, an official statement...

would the turkish navy dare to send a submerged submarine into israel ?? I very much doubt it

whats the point? you think that your country is that weak? you say greece let our subs travel in your waters because they dont have balls to get us out and israel has ? you guys are poorer than i can imagine =)

He added that "many things have changed" since the early 20th century when the killings of Armenians and Black Sea Greeks occurred, and criticized a decades-old arms buildup that has cost Athens billions of euros.

What is the point of this? Turkey is NATO, if Greeks/Armenians do get a military edge on Turkey, Turkey's NATO allies will intervene and bomb these animals back to the stone age. Its a loose loose situation for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom