What's new

Greater China Education, School & University: News & Discussions

Fudan university, never heard, Tsinghua , Peking, Shang hai are famous than

The best uni in Central China
A potential top50 uni in the last decade
It was
founded during new China's hardest time and supported by the most renowned scientists in China
It reflects our firm belief in education which is reshaping our nation
Nearly all scientific and technological breakthroughs in the recent decades are directly related to USTC
There is no reason why USTC which is on par with Tshinghua Uni is not among top50 and even top20.
屏幕快照 2016-09-09 19.03.38.png

University of Science and Technology of China
Founded in 1958
Hefei City, Anhui Province, Central China

The University of Science and Technology of China is a new type of university established by the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) after the founding of the New China. The establishment of the University is aimed at fostering high-level personnel of science and technology absolutely necessary for the development of the national economy, national defense construction, and education in science and technology. The University was founded in Beijing in September of 1958. Mr. Guo Moruo is the first president of the University. The establishment was hailed as "A Major Event in the History of Chinese Education and Science". CAS has supported the University by combining most of its Institutes with the departments of the University. CAS has pooled the entire strength of its faculty and its advantage in science and technology for the development of the University. USTC is listed in the top 16 national key universities by the Central Committee of the CCP, becoming the youngest national key university. In the beginning of 1970, USTC was moved to Hefei, the capital of Anhui Province. Since 1978, the University has initiated and implemented a series of open and reform measures with a forward-looking sense and innovative spirit.

aa97a4c27d1ed21b48c64409af6eddc450da3fd5.jpg.gif

154514jopolahz7n79ul7o.jpg
Cg-4jVMXljCIE95LADhQ7zfrQjwAAKYGAM5fuQAOFEH990.jpg
1461114517_93180100.jpg

W020160823529176618875.jpg

University of Science and Technology of China

There are lots of universities in Hefei City, their journey has just begun!
1:46 Anhui Uni

1:45 One big bookstore in downtown Hefei
1:55 Anhui Uni of Technology
2:05 Hefei Railway Station
2:19 Hefei South Railway Station (HSR)
3:50 Museum and culture precinct

4:18 Anhui Uni
4:25 Anhui Uni of Technology

4:32 University of Science and Technology of China

Anhui Uni of Technology

I am from Shanghai Jiaotong Uni.
But frankly speaking, Fudan is more famous than Shanghai Jiaotong overall.
Both are in Shanghai, their "love and hate" relationship is like between Beijing Uni and Tshinghua Uni.
Fudan is equivalent to Beijing, more about humanities
Shanghai Jiaotong Uni is equivalent to Tshinghua, more about technology.

The similarity is uncanny!
There are lots of such "love and hate" university pairs in Chinese cities.
In my city, there are Wuhan Uni (humanities) and HUST (tech).
There are lots of local couples here, one from Wuhan Uni, the other one from HUST.

Last edited:
I am from Shanghai Jiaotong Uni.
But frankly speaking, Fudan is more famous than Shanghai Jiaotong overall.
Both are in Shanghai, their "love and hate" relationship is like between Beijing Uni and Tshinghua Uni.
Fudan is equivalent to Beijing, more about humanities
Shanghai Jiaotong Uni is equivalent to Tshinghua, more about technology.

The similarity is uncanny!
There are lots of such "love and hate" university pairs in Chinese cities.
In my city, there are Wuhan Uni (humanities) and HUST (tech).
There are lots of local couples here, one from Wuhan Uni, the other one from HUST.
wow, i also have one Chinese friend who studied in Shanghai uni ( maybe it is your university, he said to me his uni is science and technology shanghai )we sometimes chat on qq, he graduated 2 years ago

I think the quality of primary education in India is more of an issue.
Education system is a comprehensive and integrated project.
We can't separate primary schools, middle schools and higer education.
That's why they are administered by one single ministry.
A city which is famous for universities are 100% famous for primary and middle school education.

The best middle school in my city is
NO.1 Middle School Affiliated to Central China Normal University

One of the top10 middle schools in China, it provides nearly free public education based on merits
The head master spends most of his/her time searching for top students around Hubei Province
"begging" those potential top students from the remotest mountainous regions in Hubei Province
and promising free education including free dorm for the talented who are from the poorer regions
We have built an Intercity High-speed Railway Station just in front of its main gate!!!
Crazy?
We don't think so!

ac6eddc451da81cb1c0f069b5666d016082431fe.jpg.png

Rio Olympics medalists visited that middle school!
W020160903766530095018.jpg

310c19b66cab4025b65333575b965f9f_th.jpeg
20130608081019_94278.jpg
201310311643147943.jpg

wow, i also have one Chinese friend who studied in Shanghai uni ( maybe it is your university, he said to me his uni is science and technology shanghai )we sometimes chat on qq, he graduated 2 years ago
Sorry, I thought you meant the pair of Fudan and Shanghai Jiaotong, Shanghai's two most famous universities.
Shanghai Uni belongs to and is sponsored by Shanghai, unlike Fudan and Shanghai Jiaotong which are sponsored by both the state and the city.

Last edited:
Education system is a comprehensive and integrated project.
We can't separate primary schools, middle schools and higer education.
That's why they are administered by one single ministry.
A city which is famous for universities are 100% famous for primary and middle school education.

The best middle school in my city is
NO.1 Middle School Affiliated to Central China Normal University

One of the top10 middle schools in China, it provides nearly free public education based on merits
The head master spends most of his/her time searching for top students around Hubei Province
"begging" those potential top students from the remotest mountainous regions in Hubei Province
and promising free education including free dorm for the talented who are from the poorer regions
We have built an Intercity High-speed Railway Station just in front of its main gate!!!
Crazy?
We don't think so!

View attachment 332725

Rio Olympics medalists visited that middle school!
View attachment 332730

View attachment 332727 View attachment 332729 View attachment 332728

Sorry, I thought you meant the pair of Fudan and Shanghai Jiaotong, Shanghai's two most famous universities.
Shanghai Uni belongs to and is sponsored by Shanghai, unlike Fudan and Shanghai Jiaotong which are sponsored by both the state and the city.
Shanghai uni is different with Shạnghai Jiaotong, ok i made a mistake, i thought both of them are one

I don't see Indian university not within the "TOP 100" list as a surprise, in fact its been like that for decades
You're what you're regarding university ranking, India is no exception, you suck, you're out, as simple as that
As a Chinese, of cos i'm proud of Chinese universities are on the rapid rising trend.
It's important for us to learn from the best examples such as Singapore (@Mista @CAPRICORN-88 ), providing affordable college education and ensuring upward social mobility. We have discussed in the meritocracy thread, one (perhaps the most important one) pillar of our merits-based social system is our education.

Skilled and educated human capital is our biggest asset in the 21st century.
We definitely need more investment in education, especially the second tier universities.
We should further encourage the provincial governments to invest more.
In return, more opportunities should be offered for the local students.

unfortunately, universities in my hometown HK are on a free fall in basically all rankings, guess thats what happened when people has forgotten what got us to be one of the most successfully city in the world, sure its not as a political fanatic city but by hard work, exceptional high intelligence and superior adaptation to changes
It's not they are getting worse, but the rest, especially those in mainland China are getting better.
Universities in HK are still top-notch, a huge number of students from mainland China are receiving world-class education in HK. The founder of DJI graduated in HK.

Last edited:

Oh, dear. Fudan University is ranking at 43 of qs world universities, Shanghai University is ranking about 450 of that list.

By the way, 复旦( Fudan ) means recovery or re-rise of China / Oriental.

Last edited:
We should take it easy for the rank list for some reasons and I also think there are underrated issues.

1. Language. Remember the leader of gene edit team from Hebei University of Science and Technology - professor Han Chunyu? He has no overseas study and work experiences and the university is not in top 50 in China. I think his paper is completed with much cooperations from team members who mastered English well for wording. It's an natural obstacle to publish research performance for them.

2. Content. Military, space related and some other papers seldom published outside. The core details will never be published.

3. Charactisrics issues. Many top scientists in China care little about the fame and reward for what they published such as Professor Qian Xuesen, Qian Sanqiang, Qian Weichang. We just know Professor Yu Min decades later who contribute alot to nuclear programs. They could disappear in public and work silently almost all of their life. They deserved respect from all people of China.

4. Domestic rank. Domestic universities care much about the rank of ourselves which will lead to get more budget from central government.

5. Long term issues. I myself almostly witnessed 2 times(year 1978 and 2000) of the reform of education systems which lead to more open for the education. There are big changes in almost 20 years. The ongoing reforms target at the strong majors, major structures, the core competencies of universities and the audit system for education.

With opening up of education system, we will see more achievements.

@AndrewJin
Jiaotong university and Nanjing university are great universities that both are mothers of many other universities in China. Almost all universities in Nanjing was derived from Nanjing University and some of them are outstanding in China! That's awesome.

Another hint for leading university in far east is that it is very hard to finish your PhD paper within the terms. Go abroad to get the PhD is an convenient option even in top west universities.

Last edited:
I don't see any Indian university in the list, how is that possible? Any Indians can shed more insights to this?

India spend too much money on defense when it should be place elsewhere.

We should take it easy for the rank list for some reasons and I also think there are underrated issues.

1. Language. Remember the leader of gene edit team from Hebei University of Science and Technology - professor Han Chunyu? He has no overseas study and work experiences and the university is not in top 50 in China. I think his paper is completed with much cooperations from team members who mastered English well for wording. It's an natural obstacle to publish research performance for them.

2. Content. Military, space related and some other papers seldom published outside. The core details will never be published.

3. Charactisrics issues. Many top scientists in China care little about the fame and reward for what they published such as Professor Qian Xuesen, Qian Sanqiang, Qian Weichang. We just know Professor Yu Min decades later who contribute alot to nuclear programs. They could disappear in public and work silently almost all of their life. They deserved respect from all people of China.

4. Domestic rank. Domestic universities care much about the rank of ourselves which will lead to get more budget from central government.

5. Long term issues. I myself almostly witnessed 2 times(year 1978 and 2000) of the reform of education systems which lead to more open for the education. There are big changes in almost 20 years. The ongoing reforms target at the strong majors, major structures, the core competencies of universities and the audit system for education.

With opening up of education system, we will see more achievements.

@AndrewJin
Jiaotong university and Nanjing university are great universities that both are mothers of many other universities in China. Almost all universities in Nanjing was derived from Nanjing University and some of them are outstanding in China! That's awesome.

Another hint for leading university in far east is that it is very hard to finish your PhD paper within the terms. Go abroad to get the PhD is an convenient option even in top west universities.

Really not a need to post military journal articles outside of China. Sun Tzu said part of winning war is to surprise the enemy

@AndrewJin
Is the DJL in Shenzhen you're talking about?
Oh i never knew the founder of DJL was actually a graduate of HK university, interesting
Please tell us more regarding the higher education of Shenzhen, thanks in advance bro
PS: University of Hong Kong ranked "21" in world ranking just a few years back in 2011 and now fall to "44" in 2016
https://www.timeshighereducation.co.../university-of-hong-kong?ranking-dataset=1045
The speed of Shenzhen is mind-blowing, so is the development of Shenzhen University!

Shenzhen University
Founded in 1983
shenzhen-university_24794_large.jpg

6c0b840b6799170ea9984f.jpg
6c0b840b6799170eaa4356.jpg
12282345_12282345_1341853865921_mthumb.jpg

The advantage of SU is its open-mindedness, just like Shenzhen.
Or should I say the biggest advantage of SU is Shenzhen!
Deng Xiaoping was named the "father of Shenzhen University".

Do you know Tencent? One of the biggest IT companies in the world.
Its found Ma Huateng graduated from Shenzhen in 1990s.
He has reshaped our life in China!
QQ and Wechat
屏幕快照 2016-09-10 00.36.28.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenzhen_University

This Chinese idiom can best summarise SU, a famous motto in the campus
脚踏实地
earnest and down-to-earth
800px-Motto_of_Shenzhen_University.jpg

Last edited:
The speed of Shenzhen is mind-blowing, so is the development of Shenzhen University!

Shenzhen University
Founded in 1983
View attachment 332757
View attachment 332769View attachment 332770 View attachment 332760

The advantage of SU is its open-mindedness, just like Shenzhen.
Or should I say the biggest advantage of SU is Shenzhen!
Deng Xiaoping was named the "father of Shenzhen University".

Do you know Tencent? One of the biggest IT companies in the world.
Its found Ma Huateng graduated from Shenzhen in 1990s.
He has reshaped our life in China!
QQ and Wechat
View attachment 332763

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenzhen_University

脚踏实地
earnest and down-to-earth

View attachment 332766

beautiful state of the art building. Is Shenzhen University considered one of the top univ in China?

beautiful state of the art building. Is Shenzhen University considered one of the top univ in China?
Frankly speaking, it's not that yet.
It's more about practical skills. In the recent years, SU has been more engaged in researches.
Ma Huateng, the chairman of Tencent, best reflects its spirit, innovative and down-to-earth!

12313.jpg

6c0b840b6799170ea94e4c.jpg
6c0b840b6799170ea9fa53.jpg
6c0b840b6799170ea9b150.jpg
6c0b840b6799170ea9674d.jpg
6c0b840b6799170ea9374b.jpg

Last edited:
Frankly speaking, it's not that yet.
It's more about practical skills. In the recent years, SU has been more engaged in researches.
Ma Huateng, the chairman of Tencent, best reflects its spirit, innovative and down-to-earth!

View attachment 332773

SU already has the look to become a reknown university in the near future. How does this univ compare to the highest ranking Indian univ from an aesthetic perspective?

Back
Top Bottom