What's new

Greater China Education, School & University: News & Discussions

The speed of Shenzhen is mind-blowing, so is the development of Shenzhen University!

Shenzhen University
Founded in 1983
View attachment 332757
View attachment 332769View attachment 332770 View attachment 332760

The advantage of SU is its open-mindedness, just like Shenzhen.
Or should I say the biggest advantage of SU is Shenzhen!
Deng Xiaoping was named the "father of Shenzhen University".

Do you know Tencent? One of the biggest IT companies in the world.
Its found Ma Huateng graduated from Shenzhen in 1990s.
He has reshaped our life in China!
QQ and Wechat
View attachment 332763

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenzhen_University

This Chinese idiom can best summarise SU, a famous motto in the campus
脚踏实地
earnest and down-to-earth
View attachment 332766

Andrew, besides Shenzhen University, Tsinhua University, Peking University and Harbin Institute of Technology have school of postgradutes in Shenzhen.
20131111112159-2114857144.jpg

2f6cda58b2f41b80810a185f.jpg

75e7360fd9f9d72a64d553cdd42a2834369bbbdc.jpg

wow, i also have one Chinese friend who studied in Shanghai uni ( maybe it is your university, he said to me his uni is science and technology shanghai )we sometimes chat on qq, he graduated 2 years ago
Dear friend, Shanghai has many many universities, one of the major higer education hubs in mainland China.
Others include Beijing, Nanjing, Wuhan, Xi'an, Guangzhou, etc.
@Chinese Bamboo is now in Xi'an (I assume she is still in her military training).

Tongji University has one of the top2 of China's architecture departments (the other one is Tsinghua)
Everybody will envy a student who has made it to Tongji's architecture and civil engineering!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongji_University

222.jpg

The following links show tours to world's highest bridges in China.
Their journeys started from Tongji Uni in Shanghai.
http://www.highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php?title=2013_High_Bridge_Trip_Photo_Album
http://www.highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php?title=2014_High_Bridge_Trip_Photo_Album

2015, 100th anniversary of Civil Engineering Department, Tongji Univ., Shanghai, China.
750px-4TongjiCableStayedModel.jpg

@xiao qi
There are a lot of universities/colleges not in the rank, but are top-notch in their respective domain.
Such as
Shanghai International Studies University,
Shanghai University of Finance and Economics,
Shanghai Maritime University,
Shanghai University of International Business and Economics,
East China University of Political Science and Law,

Shanghai University of Sport
Shanghai University of Electric Power

Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
Second Military Medical University
Shanghai Conservatory of Music,
Shanghai Theatre Academy

etc

屏幕快照 2016-09-10 01.05.05.png

屏幕快照 2016-09-10 01.05.12.png
屏幕快照 2016-09-10 01.05.30.png

屏幕快照 2016-09-10 01.05.58.png
屏幕快照 2016-09-10 01.06.05.png

屏幕快照 2016-09-10 01.06.19.png

Many indian coworkers tell me they can easily buy a PHD degree in indian university very easily.
Are you serious?
It was until 1996 Shenzhen University started to open its master programs...
It was until 2015, all undergraduate majors at SU received the status of “rank A"....
So before that, you "ended up" in SU only after you failed your desired rank A university!

Last edited:
It's important for us to learn from the best examples such as Singapore (@Mista @CAPRICORN-88 ), providing affordable college education and ensuring upward social mobility.

Ironically we are doing this by emphasizing on skills and de-emphasizing on paper qualifications. This is the lesson learnt from the US, Japan and Korea, where there is an oversupply of graduates and these graduates have little skills relevant to the market. That's why the young people there can't find a decent job despite spending so much time and money on a degree.

There's an initiative here called the SkillsFuture, which focuses on teaching real skills feedback by employers to everyone, including those in their 50s or 60s. Basically the government subsidizes your learning of new skills while you're working. They are encouraging you to learn while working, and work while learning. That's because in the future there will always be disruptive technologies that can make your current skills obsolete, and you need to keep learning throughout your working life. 活到老,学到老。

Ironically we are doing this by emphasizing on skills and de-emphasizing on paper qualifications. This is the lesson learnt from the US, Japan and Korea, where there is an oversupply of graduates and these graduates have little skills relevant to the market. That's why the young people there can't find a decent job despite spending so much time and money on a degree.

There's an initiative here called the SkillsFuture, which focuses on teaching real skills feedback by employers to everyone, including those in their 50s or 60s. Basically the government subsidizes your learning of new skills while you're working. They are encouraging you to learn while working, and work while learning. That's because in the future there will always be disruptive technologies that can make your current skills obsolete, and you need to keep learning throughout your working life. 活到老,学到老。

Is this like a co-op? So you spend six months in class, then six months on job site in a company? Or is this different.

Is this like a co-op? So you spend six months in class, then six months on job site in a company? Or is this different.

For the newer universities, yep, they are looking at this model. Even those who graduated can come back and update their skills and knowledge while working. Companies can also consult these universities for problem-solving and feedback on skills that relevant in the market.

For the newer universities, yep, they are looking at this model. Even those who graduated can come back and update their skills and knowledge while working. Companies can also consult these universities for problem-solving and feedback on skills that relevant in the market.
i think they should alter it by allowing 8 months on job training. 6 months too short. what i like about this is that if you're good , employers will hire you after you graduate

The best uni in Central China
A potential top50 uni in the last decade
It was
founded during new China's hardest time and supported by the most renowned scientists in China
It reflects our firm belief in education which is reshaping our nation
Nearly all scientific and technological breakthroughs in the recent decades are directly related to USTC
There is no reason why USTC which is on par with Tshinghua Uni is not among top50 and even top20.
View attachment 332705

University of Science and Technology of China
Founded in 1958
Hefei City, Anhui Province, Central China

The University of Science and Technology of China is a new type of university established by the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) after the founding of the New China. The establishment of the University is aimed at fostering high-level personnel of science and technology absolutely necessary for the development of the national economy, national defense construction, and education in science and technology. The University was founded in Beijing in September of 1958. Mr. Guo Moruo is the first president of the University. The establishment was hailed as "A Major Event in the History of Chinese Education and Science". CAS has supported the University by combining most of its Institutes with the departments of the University. CAS has pooled the entire strength of its faculty and its advantage in science and technology for the development of the University. USTC is listed in the top 16 national key universities by the Central Committee of the CCP, becoming the youngest national key university. In the beginning of 1970, USTC was moved to Hefei, the capital of Anhui Province. Since 1978, the University has initiated and implemented a series of open and reform measures with a forward-looking sense and innovative spirit.

View attachment 332719
View attachment 332721 View attachment 332720 View attachment 332724
View attachment 332723

University of Science and Technology of China

There are lots of universities in Hefei City, their journey has just begun!
1:46 Anhui Uni

1:45 One big bookstore in downtown Hefei
1:55 Anhui Uni of Technology
2:05 Hefei Railway Station
2:19 Hefei South Railway Station (HSR)
3:50 Museum and culture precinct

4:18 Anhui Uni
4:25 Anhui Uni of Technology

4:32 University of Science and Technology of China

Anhui Uni of Technology

I am from Shanghai Jiaotong Uni.
But frankly speaking, Fudan is more famous than Shanghai Jiaotong overall.
Both are in Shanghai, their "love and hate" relationship is like between Beijing Uni and Tshinghua Uni.
Fudan is equivalent to Beijing, more about humanities
Shanghai Jiaotong Uni is equivalent to Tshinghua, more about technology.

The similarity is uncanny!
There are lots of such "love and hate" university pairs in Chinese cities.
In my city, there are Wuhan Uni (humanities) and HUST (tech).
There are lots of local couples here, one from Wuhan Uni, the other one from HUST.

Just like NCCU and NTU pair in Taipei. One is humanities, the other is hard-science.

Please stay on topic or create another thread to continue your discussion.

Thanks.

Fudan breaks into top 50 in world university rankings

020160906141156.jpg

FUDAN University broke into top 50 of the QS World University Rankings for the first time.

The new rankings were released today.

Chinese mainland now has three universities in the global top 50 with Tsinghua University climbing one place up to 24 while Peking University jumped two places to 39.

Fudan is ranked 43rd, up eight places from last year. Shanghai Jiao Tong University is 61st from 70th last year.

Three of Hong Kong’s seven featured institutions are listed in the top 50 — the University of Hong Kong (27), the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (36) and the Chinese University of Hong Kong (44).

Published annually, the QS World University Rankings provides an index of the world’s leading higher education institutions. The rankings are based on assessment on university performance across four areas: research, teaching, employability and internationalization.

It features 916 universities, 25 more than last year, in 81 countries and areas.

Holding onto the top spot for the fifth consecutive year, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) was followed by Stanford University, with Harvard University dropping to third.

35748939_1024.jpg

9120635_9120635_1435665541219_mthumb.jpg

35748944_1024.jpg

9121447_9121447_1435666932345_mthumb.jpg

35748940_1024.jpg

Next phase, top 20!

Fudan breaks into top 50 in world university rankings

View attachment 333237

FUDAN University broke into top 50 of the QS World University Rankings for the first time.

The new rankings were released today.

Chinese mainland now has three universities in the global top 50 with Tsinghua University climbing one place up to 24 while Peking University jumped two places to 39.

Fudan is ranked 43rd, up eight places from last year. Shanghai Jiao Tong University is 61st from 70th last year.

Three of Hong Kong’s seven featured institutions are listed in the top 50 — the University of Hong Kong (27), the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (36) and the Chinese University of Hong Kong (44).

Published annually, the QS World University Rankings provides an index of the world’s leading higher education institutions. The rankings are based on assessment on university performance across four areas: research, teaching, employability and internationalization.

It features 916 universities, 25 more than last year, in 81 countries and areas.

Holding onto the top spot for the fifth consecutive year, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) was followed by Stanford University, with Harvard University dropping to third.

View attachment 333241

View attachment 333244

View attachment 333246

View attachment 333243

View attachment 333245

Next phase, top 20!

@AndrewJin , your university Shanghai Jiaotong and other Jiaotong Uni allys will celebrate 120th anniversary this year, congrates. Will you join the celebration then?
34ACC91BD494B9E9798D4DA4B52D3E41.jpg

81435f38bed0adb957491d9da8623d24.jpg

1-13102000014CP.jpg

Last edited:
Dear friend, Shanghai has many many universities, one of the major higer education hubs in mainland China.
Others include Beijing, Nanjing, Wuhan, Xi'an, Guangzhou, etc.
@Chinese Bamboo is now in Xi'an (I assume she is still in her military training).

Tongji University has one of the top2 of China's architecture departments (the other one is Tsinghua)
Everybody will envy a student who has made it to Tongji's architecture and civil engineering!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongji_University

View attachment 332791

The following links show tours to world's highest bridges in China.
Their journeys started from Tongji Uni in Shanghai.
http://www.highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php?title=2013_High_Bridge_Trip_Photo_Album
http://www.highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php?title=2014_High_Bridge_Trip_Photo_Album

2015, 100th anniversary of Civil Engineering Department, Tongji Univ., Shanghai, China.
View attachment 332794

@xiao qi
There are a lot of universities/colleges not in the rank, but are top-notch in their respective domain.
Such as
Shanghai International Studies University,
Shanghai University of Finance and Economics,
Shanghai Maritime University,
Shanghai University of International Business and Economics,
East China University of Political Science and Law,

Shanghai University of Sport
Shanghai University of Electric Power

Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
Second Military Medical University
Shanghai Conservatory of Music,
Shanghai Theatre Academy

etc

View attachment 332784

View attachment 332782View attachment 332785

View attachment 332781View attachment 332783

View attachment 332780

Are you serious?
It was until 1996 Shenzhen University started to open its master programs...
It was until 2015, all undergraduate majors at SU received the status of “rank A"....
So before that, you "ended up" in SU only after you failed your desired rank A university!

Tongji ranked 315 ???

My father studied civil engineering in Tongji university and his score was more than enough to get admission to Tsinghua university....

My military training is finished yet.
I hope I will be qualified to join ACM as soon as possible,so that I spend most of my time studying rather than surfing the Internet....:(

Last edited:
Tongji ranked 315 ???

My father studied civil engineering in Tongji university and his score was more than enough to get admission to Tsinghua university....

I hope I will be qualified to join ACM as soon as possible,so that I spend most of my time studying rather than surfing on the Internet....:(
Tongji is indeed top-notch in an array of sectors.
But such ranking is based on comprehensive criteria.
No matter it is ranked 315 or 3150, its civil engineering, architecture, automobile engineering, etc, are one of the most desired majors to in China.

I hope I will be qualified to join ACM as soon as possible,so that I spend most of my time studying rather than surfing on the Internet....:(
Studying is more important than posting. :enjoy:

Last edited:
@AndrewJin , your university Shanghai Jiaotong and other Jiaotong Uni allys will celebrate 120th anniversary this year, congrates. Will you join the celebration then?
Yes, this year, but already finished all the celebration months ago.
And I am not famous, who would they invite me?
But we were all sent some souvenirs....such as souvenir medals...
Me, @Chinese Bamboo (well on the anniversary day she was still preparing for college entrance exam) attend different schools of the same origin, as you have mentioned, the 5 Jiaotong Uni in Mainland China and Taiwan.

242.jpg
2016-03-09-11-58-10-186791.jpg

http://news.qq.com/a/20160409/007519.htm

原标题:上海交大校庆92岁院士演讲 毅然推开了为他准备的椅子……

“在惊涛骇浪的孤岛,他埋下头,甘心做沉默的砥柱;在一穷二白的年代,他挺起胸,成为国家最大的财富。他的人生,正如深海中的潜艇,无声,但有无穷的力量。”

在120周年校庆之际,上海交通大学官方微博8日转发了一张照片,在校庆活动中,92岁的老学长,在演讲时毅然推开了为他准备的椅子,他就是上海交大1949届造船系校友、中国核潜艇之父、中国工程院院士黄旭华。

Huang Xuhua, 92 year old, the father of China's nuclear submarine, graduate of Shanghai Jiaotong University majoring in shipbuilding, refused to sit on the chair people prepared for him and made a speech at the 120th anniversary of SJTU.

[
133281369.jpg
133281262.jpg

Last edited:
The rise of higher education in Xi'an, the biggest city in Northwest China
Empowering the local economy in Shannxi Province and Northwest China
@Chinese Bamboo

From 4:13 higher education and national research centres
131.jpg

@Chinese Have you been to Qujiang District yet?
Last time I traveled to Xi'an to attend my cousin's wedding...I only had 3 days for the wedding and nearby terra cotta warriors and the tomb of the first Chinese female emperor...Will go there again, only 4 hours from Wuhan.....(When the direct HSR opens a couple of years later, will be less than 3 hours)
Qujiang New District
242dd42a2834349bda1d22eacbea15ce36d3be42.jpg
9922720e0cf3d7ca6587155cf61fbe096b63a9a2.jpg

--------------------------------------
Shannxi Province
where Emperor Qinshihuang united China 2000 years ago

2:05 Qujiang District, Xi'an City
2:30 Higher education institutes in Xi'an
(@Chinese Bamboo )

@Götterdämmerung @Godman @Star Wars @StarCraft_ZT @Kaptaan @waz @Gibbs @Species @Lure @anant_s @Bussard Ramjet @Ankit Kumar 002 @PARIKRAMA @PARIKRAMA @Echo_419 @Danish saleem @PaklovesTurkiye @AViet @xiao qi @kaykay @kecho @Viet @LA se Karachi @Two @pzkilo @alarabi @oprih @Malik Abdullah @T-123456 @maximuswarrior @cranwerkhan @bbccdd1470 @Three_Kingdoms @el che @Brainsucker @simple Brain @X-2. @Taygibay @Arsalan @shah1398 @muhammadali233 @Jf Thunder @Talwar e Pakistan @Arbiter @yesboss @Mista @grey boy 2 @Jlaw @bolo @faithfulguy @Maira La @T-Rex @UKBengali @Odysseus @Nilgiri @Aether @Fattyacids @Darmashkian @Kaptaan @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @Sky lord @faithfulguy @Zibago @saiyan0321 @el che @Mugwop @S.U.R.B. @Rasengan @xiao qi @Dungeness @ahtan_china @endyashainin @vostok @senheiser @kankan326 @Zulkarneyn @DoTell @proud_indian @TheTheoryOfMilitaryLogistics @Cossack25A1 @OrionHunter @rott @Anjo @Abba_Dabba_Jabba @Areesh @Huan @RISING SUN @Dungeness @PaklovesTurkiye @Dandpatta @KRAIT @anas_nurhafidz @Fallen King @Rasengan et al

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom