What's new

Greater China Education, School & University: News & Discussions

你是哪所大学毕业的?

I graduated from the University of Kent and I did politics and Economics. The Chinese community was very strong because Kent was ranked in the top 11 for Actuarial Science. Unfortunately, people from Hong Kong never got along with Mainlanders, too proud of their British traditions, stupid fools. Anyway, I made a number of life-long friends who I consider as my brothers. We use to eat, talk, study and laugh at the same table and those memories will always remain with me. I was always referred to as Zhang Fei because of my beard and temper:)

I have experienced Chinese hospitality and for a foreigner, I understand some aspects of Chinese culture like table manners, guanxi and other cultural elements linked to philosophy. My verdict of a province was always base on the taxi drivers. No offence to Beijing people, but the taxi drivers were grumpy. However, I couldn't blame them because the traffic was horrendous most of the time and its related to the planning of the city. Drivers from Chengdu were the best, although this assumption is bias:) One of my brothers was born in panda city and he's passionate about Sichuan in general, like the soldier's memorial statue that remembers their bravery against the Japanese. The dao was quite effective in the short range. China will always have a special place in my heart, and my brothers have the same feelings about Pakistan. I just wish I had more time to spend with them.

Top 10 most innovative universities in Asia
By Xu Lin, China.org.cn
September 13, 2016

The international news agency Thomson-Reuters recently published a ranking of the Top 75 Asia's Most Innovative Universities.

The winner was KAIST, the Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology, thanks to its original and influential research. The runner up was the University of Tokyo and the second runner up Seoul National University.

Seventeen of the top 20 are based in Japan and South Korea.

In total there are 22 Chinese universities on the ranking, more than any other country. Unfortunately, none of them made into the top 10. The highest is Tsinghua University, which ranked 13th, while Peking University was No. 16.

The criteria that contributed to the composite score include volume of patent submissions, patent success, global patents, patent citations, patent citation impact, percentage of cited patent, patent to article citation impact, industry article citation impact, percentage of industry collaborative articles, and total web of science core collection papers.

The following are the top 10 most innovative universities in Asia.

10. Keio University

9. Yonsei University

8. Sungkyunkwan University

7. Kyoto University

6. Tohoku University

5. Pohang University of Science & Technology (POSTECH)

99 yuan per year: Jack Ma's Hupan University launches open classes online
(People's Daily Online) 16:38, September 09, 201

FOREIGN201609091647000171912134123.jpg

Hupan University (Photo/Xinhua)

Hupan University, launched by Jack Ma, founder and executive chairman of Alibaba, announced the launching of its open online classes on Sept. 8. The tuition fee will be just 99 yuan per year.

Teachers included in the university faculty include Ma himself, along with Alibaba partners Zeng Ming and Peng Lei. The classes will be available starting from Sept. 10 on the app Ximalaya FM. Currently, the schedule offers one class per week, 52 weeks per year. The duration of each class is 15 to 20 minutes.

While anyone can sign up for the online classes, applicants for the offline classes offered by the university must meet strict requirements. Only those who have founded a business and paid tax for at least three years, lead a team of at least 30 members, and can submit recommendations from three entrepreneurs are eligible to interview for admission. Now the university is in its third round of enrollment. The tuition fee for offline classes is 360,000 yuan for three years' study.

According to promotional materials, Hupan University is “focused on fostering a new generation of modern entrepreneurs within a neo-commercial civilization.” Classes will adhere to key values, such as improving society and protecting public welfare.

An online study platform, Hupan University App, will be launched late this year, which will provide bonus study materials and create an open online community for entrepreneurs.

Located in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, the university was co-founded by nine entrepreneurs and distinguished scholars including Liu Chuanzhi, founder and chairman of Lenovo; Feng Lun, founder and chairman of Vanton Holdings; Guo Guangchang, chairman of Fosun Group; Shi Yuzhu, chairman of Giant Interactive Group; Shen Guojun, founder and chairman of Yintai; Qian Yingyi, dean of the School of Economics and Management at Tsinghua University; Cai Hongbin, dean of the Guanghua School of Management at Peking University; and Shao Xiaofeng, chief risk officer of Alibaba.

FOREIGN201609091647000177325051663.jpg

Hupan University (Photo/Xinhua)

I can see online classes taking off for those seeking degrees in non-STEM courses, but for lab and research work you still have go to a physical building.

Four Chinese Universities Listed in Top 50 in World Rankings Released Wednesday
By Zou Luxiao (People's Daily Online) 05:34, September 22, 2016

Peking-University.(1).jpg

Peking University

Times Higher Education released the 2016-2017 World University Rankings on September 21, 2016. University of Oxford snatched the top spot from Caltech as China’s rise continues.

Four Chinese universities made their way into the Top 50 this year, with Peking University at 29th, Tsinghua University 35th, University of Hong Kong at 43rd, and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology at 49th.

Tsinghua-University.(1).jpg

Tsinghua University

There are four main indicators underlying the methodology of the ranking: teaching, research, citations, and international outlook. Within the four domains, University of Hong Kong made the Top 100 for the first time this year. City University of Hong Kong, University of Science and Technology of China, Fudan University and Hong Kong Polytechnic University joined the Top 200.

Furthermore, China’s two flagship universities have both made gains – Peking University joins the top 30 at 29th (up from 42nd last year), while Tsinghua University joins the top 40 at 35th (up from joint 47th).

The tendency of the China's higher education is more important.
The ranking of specific universities are not that important.
Most Chinese universities are more or less focused on specific areas....
Like the university where my family lives.....is focused on geoscience.....

This one.....its ranking is irrelevant to China
Beihang University, previously known as Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
View attachment 333827

China University of Petroleum
View attachment 333825
Yes, ranking between Chinese universities is irrelevant as each university have specialty they are famous for. I would attend a low ranking China U over some other countries high ranking U

Australian universities jump up Times Higher Education world rankings index
Updated Thu at 2:10pm, abc.net.au

5405796-3x2-940x627.jpg

Photo: The University of Melbourne is Australia's top ranked higher educational facility.

Six Australian universities have been ranked among the best 100 in the world, according to the latest Times Higher Education (THE) world rankings index.

The University of Melbourne jumped eight places to come in equal 33rd, with the Australian National University (47th), University of Queensland and University of Sydney (equal 60th), Melbourne's Monash University (74th) and the University of NSW (78th) all improving on their 2015 results.

Australia's top universities:
  • University of Melbourne: 33
  • Australian National University: 47
  • University of Queensland: 60
  • University of Sydney: 60
  • Monash University: 74
  • University of NSW: 78
  • University of WA: 125
  • University of Adelaide: 142
  • University of Newcastle: 201-250
  • Queensland University of Technology: 201-250
Source: THE rankings 2016​

Oxford topped the list as the world's leading university, followed by the California Institute of Technology, Stanford and Cambridge.

The annual rankings comprise the top 980 universities worldwide, judging them across the categories of teaching, international outlook, research, citations and industry income.

The United States had 63 institutions in the top 200, while the UK had 32 and Australia had eight.

"In general, Australia's leading universities produce highly influential research and are successful at both attracting top international talent and collaborating with scholars from across the world," THE world university rankings editor Phil Baty said.

It appeared the Excellence in Research for Australia initiative, launched in 2010 to evaluate universities on the quality of their research, was paying off, he said.

This year 24 Australian institutions either moved up in the rankings or held their position and another four came onto the rankings for the first time.

Asia's rise 'real and growing'

But Mr Baty warned Australia would need to keep an eye on the "higher education superpower" of Asian universities, with more rising up the list in 2016.

The region's top institution, the National University of Singapore, was ranked 24th.

"Although the notion of Asia as the 'next higher education superpower' has become something of a cliche in recent years, the continent's rise in the rankings is real and growing," Mr Baty said.

"Australia's success at the top of the rankings cannot be guaranteed in the long-term while more of Asia's leading universities soar to join the world elite."

ABC/AAP

Australian universities are overrated.
Look at their citation of top journals, what a joke....
Merely making money from international students (that will make the scores higher such as "reputation" and "international students") is short-sighted....There are no industries and innovation to back up the education sector.....

I have couple of friends doing PhD in Monash and New South Wales, they take fabrication tips from me.

brits make joke again. if any of you guys get an undergradute/graduate offer from their beloved “No. 1” oxford, and from a lower-ranking princeton/yale/stanford/mit, i bet it is an easy decision for most of guys, isn't it?

Australian universities jump up Times Higher Education world rankings index
Updated Thu at 2:10pm, abc.net.au

View attachment 337097
Photo: The University of Melbourne is Australia's top ranked higher educational facility.

Six Australian universities have been ranked among the best 100 in the world, according to the latest Times Higher Education (THE) world rankings index.

The University of Melbourne jumped eight places to come in equal 33rd, with the Australian National University (47th), University of Queensland and University of Sydney (equal 60th), Melbourne's Monash University (74th) and the University of NSW (78th) all improving on their 2015 results.

Australia's top universities:
  • University of Melbourne: 33
  • Australian National University: 47
  • University of Queensland: 60
  • University of Sydney: 60
  • Monash University: 74
  • University of NSW: 78
  • University of WA: 125
  • University of Adelaide: 142
  • University of Newcastle: 201-250
  • Queensland University of Technology: 201-250
Source: THE rankings 2016​

Oxford topped the list as the world's leading university, followed by the California Institute of Technology, Stanford and Cambridge.

The annual rankings comprise the top 980 universities worldwide, judging them across the categories of teaching, international outlook, research, citations and industry income.

The United States had 63 institutions in the top 200, while the UK had 32 and Australia had eight.

"In general, Australia's leading universities produce highly influential research and are successful at both attracting top international talent and collaborating with scholars from across the world," THE world university rankings editor Phil Baty said.

It appeared the Excellence in Research for Australia initiative, launched in 2010 to evaluate universities on the quality of their research, was paying off, he said.

This year 24 Australian institutions either moved up in the rankings or held their position and another four came onto the rankings for the first time.

Asia's rise 'real and growing'

But Mr Baty warned Australia would need to keep an eye on the "higher education superpower" of Asian universities, with more rising up the list in 2016.

The region's top institution, the National University of Singapore, was ranked 24th.

"Although the notion of Asia as the 'next higher education superpower' has become something of a cliche in recent years, the continent's rise in the rankings is real and growing," Mr Baty said.

"Australia's success at the top of the rankings cannot be guaranteed in the long-term while more of Asia's leading universities soar to join the world elite."

ABC/AAP

Hmmm... Thought RMIT would be ranked somewhere close

Back
Top Bottom