What's new

Global IT ranking: Pakistan drops 14 places in a year

A sustained growth in any sector needs a sufficient supply of well trained professionals. When most of them choose to go to madarassah shunning higher scientific education, that country is DOOMED.

A sustained growth in any sector needs a sufficient supply of well trained professionals. When most of them choose to go to madarassah shunning higher scientific education, that country is DOOMED.

Thats really not true.. Some of my close friends in IT sector are from Pakistan. The bigger problem is the uncertainty that multi nationals feel about Pakistan at this time. A lot of it can be solved by doing right perception management (Mushy was a champ in that), but unfortunately, the current govt is not upto the mark on that front.. Thats why I have lots of hope from Imran Khan.. He knows how the western mind works..

:victory:Bangladesh is ahead of Iran and will likely surpass Pakistan if the political tension in that region still continues. Congratulations India!

Jordan ranked at 47
Bahrain ranked at 27
Qatar at 28
UAE at 30
KSA at 34

Not bad...

You clearly not read what I wrote.
so here it is again.

"Iran is concentrating on it's science and tech"
we are the fastest growing in the world, 11x faster than any other country.
I did not say we are ranked very high now. wait 10 years and you will see.

35 rank is good. Why did get mad?

What has Car got to do with IT.

The biggest downturn to this has been an overall reduction of economic growth which translates into less business for IT companies.

Car had absolutely nothing to with IT. I was just responding to the gentleman who wants to blame all evils of pakistan on Zardari. I find it fare game to tell that its not only Zardari but all previous govts. including the army dictators, have failed to get any industrial growth in Pakistan. The absolute lack of automobile manufacturers is an ample testimony to that.

Bl[i]tZ;2780427 said:
US 8

China 51

India 69

Pakistan 102

Bangladesh 113

GITR 2012 - Data Platform | World Economic Forum - GITR 2012 - Data Platform

KARACHI: Pakistan’s ranking dropped 14 places to 102 in a year out of the 142 countries in the Global Information Technology Report 2012 of the World Economic Forum with most pillars deteriorating.

The ranking shows the government’s lack of efficiency and poor governance, reads a statement released by WEF’s local partner Mishal Pakistan.

The report indicates challenges and opportunities on 10 different pillars, where Pakistan has not been able to show any remarkable improvements in the previous year.

The only positive from the report was that Pakistan stood the fourth cheapest mobile cellular tariffs, showing the cut-throat competition in the telecom sector.

Cellular tariffs came under affordability in the ten pillars which had an impressive rank of 26 among the total 142 countries.

Pakistan lost its competitive advantage on the fixed broadband internet tariffs, where it dropped the ranking to 79 in from 36. The extent of information and communications technologies improving access for all citizens to basic services – health, education, financial services – also took a dip to 113, falling back 30 places from last year.

Pakistan also improved its competitiveness in certain areas including, efficiency of the legal system in challenging regulations, where Pakistan improved from 95 in 2011 to 79 in 2012 out of 142 countries. The judicial independence was also highlighted as one of the advantages in Pakistan.

The quality of education system and the capacity for innovation also shows improvement of 7 points each ranking at 79 and 51, respectively.

Sweden stood (1st) and Singapore (2nd) top the rankings in this year’s report in leveraging information and communications technologies to boost country competitiveness. Switzerland (5th), the Netherlands (6th), the United States (8th), Canada (9th) and the United Kingdom (10th) also show strong performances in the top 10.

“Despite efforts over the past decade to develop information and communications technologies (ICT) infrastructure in developing economies, a new digital divide in terms of ICT impacts persists,” sums up the report.
Published in The Express Tribune, April 5th, 2012.

Global IT ranking: Pakistan drops 14 places in a year – The Express Tribune

Come on dude...we should be upset that we are at 69 rather than Pakistan is at XYZ...How does it matter? Are you comparing IT of India and Pakistan...Come on mate...if you would like to compare then choose some different opponent???

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom