What's new

Gilgit as a fifth province

I would even say do the same to balochistan, Sindh and Punjab as well as KPK
Hazara, Siraikistan, Karachi, Bolan, to dea bughti , Kharan Chagi etc Kech Gawadar together etc.
????? Didn't get your point ?
I think you might have skimmed what i had posted .
Long story short , i meant to say that people of the region deserve representation in national assembly and deserve to participate in the general elections with a couple of examples . Even a special status is ok for me .

????? Didn't get your point ?
I think you might have skimmed what i had posted .
Long story short , i meant to say that people of the region deserve representation in national assembly and deserve to participate in the general elections with a couple of examples . Even a special status is ok for me .
agree to all
but the people of Muzaffarabad and Bagh etc will be upset

agree to all
but the people of Muzaffarabad and Bagh etc will be upset
Not really a special status will not hurt anyone . We can't continue not giving people of the region basic rights , they don't even enjoy a special status as FATA or Azad Kashmir do .

"Despite Gilgit-Baltistan being treated as a separate administrative unit, it does not enjoy the same constitutional rights as those granted to the other provinces. Important differences are as follows:

• No seats are allowed in the National Assembly or the Senate.
  • Gilgit-Baltistan Council is chaired by the Prime Minster of Pakistan and not by a local representative. Therefore, real authority still lies with the Council rather than the elected representatives in the Assembly.
  • Similarly, the Governor is appointed by the President on the advice of the Prime Minister.
  • No seats are allowed in the institutions that contribute towards effective coordination and cooperation between the federation and provinces/other units e.g. National Economic Council, National Finance Commission and Council of Common Interests.
  • No representation is given in the Indus River System Authority (IRSA).
  • No share of profits, from the income of hydroelectric power stations located in Gilgit-Baltistan, is granted to the region itself.
Contrast with other regions
Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) sends its own representatives to both the Senate and the National Assembly, where special seats are reserved for them. In fact, the number of seats FATA is allowed in the Parliament is much higher than any other parts of Pakistan, when compared in terms of population size.

Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) has an autonomous government with its own temporary constitution enacted by its Legislative Assembly in 1974, a legislature and even a Supreme Court. This system is expected to last until a decision is reached by the UN regarding a resolution to the Kashmir dispute.

The Order shows that the administrative approach adopted towards Gilgit-Baltistan is not only different from the four directly ruled provinces, but that it is also different from other indirectly- ruled areas such as FATA and Azad Jammu and Kashmir.

It’s been more than 65 years and yet people of Gilgit cannot cast votes and cannot help the country in the larger picture , in terms of who gets to make a government or who doesn’t ."

Do give it a read , it's quite informative . Thus , the reason i wanted your insight on the topic because of it's diversity .

Gilgit-Baltistan should be made a province. Given their own High court and assembly of elected officials. Actually, they can make AJK, Giligit and Baltistan provinces along with FATA as well. This is the need of the hour.
You got a point there. If India has made J&K an Indian state, Pakistan can do the same too. The dispute in any case can continue till kingdom come.

Ironically this could be a way forward where all of Azad Kashmir becomes a state of Pakistan. This means, you keep your part, we keep ours. The LoC and IB can be made a soft border where Kashmiris from both sides can interact without hindrance. (Gen Mush had proposed this too). Trade would flourish and the Kashmir imbroglio would be a thing of the past.

But then, do vested interests on both sides want this to happen? Nope! So it's back to square one!

Last edited:
@WAJsal I would agree with Syed Ali here, it should be made an autonomous province with its own governing unit and development fund but for the time being tactically its not favorable.

And in realistic terms if you ask me all the region from Baltistan to Hasanabdal and Murree should be considered joint territory, Murree is not part of Punjab by the way. And more provinces should be formed for better governance, development and prosperity of common people.

Well dear, the thing that you are failing to understand is the real ground politics.
GB has no chance(without intense struggle) of getting provincial or a sub state system like that of AJK. And the simple reason for that is a problem of the "population concentration of a particular sect" which can be problematic for the "policy makers" if given rights of self governing.
There is no reason at all to treat GB like this. GB is not in any way like FATA. The people are highly educated even comparing to the big cities of Pakistan, there have never been any problem of rebellion like situations like we see in Balochistan, people from GB have a big contribution in Pak Armed forces and the Northern units are the ones managing the Siachin for us.
Sadly, but ground politics is way more different than what we idealize. Things like cast, creed and sect are still the driving factors and people have even learned the art to present their own ambitions as impartial 'national interest'. The ones with high seats and authorities are no more wiser or honest than you and me except that they have found the power do do things.
Opinion.jpg

@WAJsal I would agree with Syed Ali here, it should be made an autonomous province with its own governing unit and development fund but for the time being tactically its not favorable.
Get your point . That's really not the concern here . The thing is that people of GB have no representation in national assembly . Can any other province in this country live without that ? see we can't test these people . Give them a special status like FATA or Azad Kashmir but give them representation in NA etc , etc . And other human rights too .

GB has no chance(without intense struggle) of getting provincial or a sub state system like that of AJK. And the simple reason for that is a problem of the "population concentration of a particular sect" which can be problematic for the "policy makers" if given rights of self governing.
Agreed , but this struggle has got to be peaceful in every way . For so long politicians have simply ignored this region and deprived them of their basic human rights . They deserve a special status or a provincial one they deserve someone to raise their concerns on national level .

Get your point . That's really not the concern here . The thing is that people of GB have no representation in national assembly . Can any other province in this country live without that ? see we can't test these people . Give them a special status like FATA or Azad Kashmir but give them representation in NA etc , etc . And other human rights too .

Well for that there are movements who strive for the representation of that area in NA and senate. I hope one day they achieve their goal somehow.

And another thing I never understood why people of Baltistan are die hard fans of Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto? I guess he went there and delivered a speech in Balti right?

And another thing I never understood why people of Baltistan are die hard fans of Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto? I guess he went there and delivered a speech in Balti right?
He worked for the people in the region immensely . And a lot more . Read the history of the region , will help .

Back
Top Bottom