What's new

Featured Gen. Asim Saleem Bajwa debunks all allegations against him

All I'm. Saying is any key govt official hving or his nearest family members assets in usa and else where must be questioned and if fornd guilty must be punished, that is the simplest law
He was questioned. He provided his answers. There is no evidence or even direct allegation of corruption against him.

Literally people accusing and bashing him because his family worked hard and became successful in the US.

Also, this is part of the reason behind the proposed money laundering laws and other FATF required legislation that the PPP and PMLN is opposing.

So maybe take a look at the laanti Sharif's, Bhutto's and Zardari's and have them explain why they are blocking these laws from being passed.

Then that basically means Noorani had nothing to go on, which is my point - no evidence of corruption or illegal activity. Just because Noorani didn't receive the information he wanted from the SECP or FBR or State Bank doesn't mean there was corruption. Are any of the above even authorized to release taxpayer information to a journalist?

Noorani has an existing extremely negative reputation - I would avoid engaging with him as well.

Noorani has been extremely smart about this - he hasn't outright stated that Gen. Bajwa committed corruption. He's listed the success of his brothers, the timeline during which his brothers set up their businesses and cleverly pointed out that their business success happened at the same time that Bajwa was advancing through the ranks in the Army. So he used innuendo and violated the 'correlation is not causation' principle and then let the PMLN, PPP and leftist/liberal anti-Pakistan brigade take the lead in making the accusations of corruption on social media.

So, let me break it down:

Is Noorani correct that Bajwa's brothers have a successful business in the US?
Yes.

Is Noorani correct that Bajwa's brothers business grew in the US around the same time as Bajwa was being promoted in the Army?
Yes.

Is Noorani correct that Bajwa's sons created companies in Pakistan?
Yes.

Is Noorani correct that Bajwa's wife invested X amount in his brothers companies in the US?
Yes

But NOTHING in the above is evidence of corruption, illegal activities or wrong doing.

There is no evidence (or even a direct allegation by Noorani) that Gen. Bajwa funneled illegally obtained money to the US while in the military.

There is no evidence that Gen. Bajwa or his sons or wife purchased extremely expensive properties with monies that cannot be explained.

So, the majority of Noorani's claims about the existence and valuation of the businesses and timelines are accurate, and in my view neither he nor factfocus (Mubashir Xaidi) can be sued in court for defamation since all they did was present mostly accurate information - the slander, defamation and false accusations of corruption were made through their supporters on social media, which gives them plausible deniability.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes under the freedom of information act, these institutions are liable to share information not only with Journalists but with any member of public. It’s surprising for me that you don’t know these things. Are you ex-military?

Please keep in mind when we are talking about Bajwa, we should see the case of Justice Qazi Isa and his wife as a benchmark. Government saw something fishy, they have filed the reference and now his wife is facing court kacheri to prove how they have purchase property abroad.

Second benchmark is NAB assets beyonds mean case in which we have seen 100’s of civlians are arrested and tried.

We have to follow same standard for Bajwa, as Bajco group is doing business in 4 countries with over 100 companies.

If SECP, FBR and State Bank are not disclosing information about his companies then how would you produce the evidence? That’s why i am saying there is a genuine need of JIT to probe his assets. SECP not only denied his request, SECP also tempered the data of his companies on their website, his next story is about how SECP tempered the data and refused to disclose information about his companies. Noorani is fully loaded at this time.

Yes under the freedom of information act, these institutions are liable to share information not only with Journalists but with any member of public. It’s surprising for me that you don’t know these things.

Scope
The FOI Ordinance allows any citizen of Pakistan access to official records held by a public body of the federal government. The Ordinance only applies to the federal government including ministries, departments, boards, councils, courts and tribunals and the secretariat of parliament. It does not cover provincial or local government or any private bodies funded by the government or providing public services. There is some ambiguity about what information is accessible. The Ordinance allows access to “official records,” where a record is defined as a record in any form that is used for official purposes of the body that holds it. The Ordinance also defines what public records are and which records cannot be considered as public records, such as notings on files; minutes of meetings; preparatory opinions and recommendations, individuals’ bank account records; defence forces and national security; classified information; personal privacy; documents given in confidence; and other records decreed by the government.

Based on the above, I don't see the FoIA covering the release of private information, related to individuals or private companies, to a journalist.

Please keep in mind when we are talking about Bajwa, we should see the case of Justice Qazi Isa and his wife as a benchmark. Government saw something fishy, they have filed the reference and now his wife is facing court kacheri to prove how they have purchase property abroad.
Different process and different situation.

Issa is a sitting Supreme Court judge. The Constitutional process allows for a Presidential reference to be submitted and the Supreme Judicial Council (SJC) to take notice and conduct hearings/investigations. Issa challenged that in court and the SC ruled that the issue should not go in front of the SJC and instead directed the FBR to investigate the assets of Issa and his wife.

Should NAB take notice of this?

They could, but the only thing they can ask is whether the $19,000 USD investment by Bajwa's wife can be justified. Given that Bajwa retired as a Lt. General, $19,000 is not a huge amount. They could also question him on any of his other declared assets but we've seen that list (after he became SAPM) and nothing stands out as being 'assets beyond means'.

The rest of the company (prior to Bajwa's wifes investment) was set up by his brothers in the US and the investments obtained were via loans. Bajwa or his wife did not invest or claim to invest any more than the &19K amount. His brothers are based in the US and live and work there so not sure if NAB can question them or what authority it would even have over them.

Honestly, given that I run a business myself and have taken loans in the same manner as Bajwa's brothers, this is pointless and a witch hunt by Army bashers and anti-PTI elements. Bajwa's brothers were doctors and executives. Given how much they earned even before the business, they would have had no issues with getting bank loans using their assets and incomes as collateral.

If the franchises they purchased were existing franchises, the structures and equipment itself would have been used as part of the collateral for the loans they obtained.

In general, running restaurants in the US successfully is extremely hard work - this is not a preferred stop for money laundering given the risks involved. Real estate, stocks etc are a much better investment for illegally obtained money.

He was questioned. He provided his answers. There is no evidence or even direct allegation of corruption against him.

Literally people accusing and bashing him because his family worked hard and became successful in the US.

Also, this is part of the reason behind the proposed money laundering laws and other FATF required legislation that the PPP and PMLN is opposing.

So maybe take a look at the laanti Sharif's, Bhutto's and Zardari's and have them explain why they are blocking these laws from being passed.
Stop hiding behind the bushes law is equal to everyone, everyone is bieng tried in courts thus Mr bajwa must come into courts too, that paid interviews won't solve his problems, nor will bring any clarity to anyone's claim, enough of that madness political point scoring that's the time for real justice and for all at once, no mater who ever he is, he must bring proofs of his wife's investments and the correct dates and documents of her bussineses which she has done in the past while he was serving, stop taking cover of the trust of the nation and take a courgeoues decesion to take Noorani into courts its 2020 no one can hide behind do called India ki sazish type of crap, while playing games on Kalbhushan as Saudis W were telling you to free him to pass FATAF all this mess must be clean once and for all, and all zardari, Nawaz, imran and else must be tried and get what ever is the law says!
If you are living a life of luxury on the money collected by poor nations taxes then you will be investigated and if found not guilty, will be honored?
And that ill set a golden example for the rest of the future of Pakistan, once and for all justice and killing the crouption in all forms either in uniform or without it!!!!! Mr bajwa bring your money trail in courts!

Actully now it's official bussines what you think Noorani is a typical so called cheap anchor of any news channel?
He has more then what he showed up and in this figure game dear genral will, get a bashing.
It's not matters who is behind it, all what matters is genral come clean with it, with millions of dollors of companies its not that ezy o| simple but I'm happy that times are changing pak army didn't came to defend him rightly cause they also have to chcek thier institution who else got millions of dollors worth of companies in usa and still is serving?
While no matter what he is or served at what level, asset beyond means is a crime itself and he must come in the courts, law is equal for every one!!!

The total value of all the companies comes to around $39Mil to $56Mil, which took 18 years. The corrupt make this amount with-in a year. Not only that these are pizza shops that we are talking about not Multi Billion dollars worth of high-rise buildings like what Dar has in UAE.

All I'm. Saying is any key govt official hving or his nearest family members assets in usa and else where must be questioned and if fornd guilty must be punished, that is the simplest law
While it should include politicians, and kill the dam. Crouption at all levels, million dollor companies can't Jst be made in few years?

not few years about almost 2 decades.

Stop hiding behind the bushes law is equal to everyone, everyone is bieng tried in courts thus Mr bajwa must come into courts too, that paid interviews won't solve his problems, nor will bring any clarity to anyone's claim, enough of that madness political point scoring that's the time for real justice and for all at once, no mater who ever he is, he must bring proofs of his wife's investments and the correct dates and documents of her bussineses which she has done in the past while he was serving, stop taking cover of the trust of the nation and take a courgeoues decesion to take Noorani into courts its 2020 no one can hide behind do called India ki sazish type of crap, while playing games on Kalbhushan as Saudis W were telling you to free him to pass FATAF all this mess must be clean once and for all, and all zardari, Nawaz, imran and else must be tried and get what ever is the law says!
If you are living a life of luxury on the money collected by poor nations taxes then you will be investigated and if found not guilty, will be honored?
And that ill set a golden example for the rest of the future of Pakistan, once and for all justice and killing the crouption in all forms either in uniform or without it
The total value of all the companies comes to around $39Mil to $56Mil, which took 18 years. The corrupt make this amount with-in a year. Not only that these are pizza shops that we are talking about not Multi Billion dollars worth of high-rise buildings like what Dar has in UAE.
Sure let the court decides then?

Different process and different situation.

Issa is a sitting Supreme Court judge. The Constitutional process allows for a Presidential reference to be submitted and the Supreme Judicial Council (SJC) to take notice and conduct hearings/investigations. Issa challenged that in court and the SC ruled that the issue should not go in front of the SJC and instead directed the FBR to investigate the assets of Issa and his wife.

Should NAB take notice of this?

They could, but the only thing they can ask is whether the $19,000 USD investment by Bajwa's wife can be justified. Given that Bajwa retired as a Lt. General, $19,000 is not a huge amount. They could also question him on any of his other declared assets but we've seen that list (after he became SAPM) and nothing stands out as being 'assets beyond means'.

The rest of the company (prior to Bajwa's wifes investment) was set up by his brothers in the US and the investments obtained were via loans. Bajwa or his wife did not invest or claim to invest any more than the &19K amount. His brothers are based in the US and live and work there so not sure if NAB can question them or what authority it would even have over them.

Honestly, given that I run a business myself and have taken loans in the same manner as Bajwa's brothers, this is pointless and a witch hunt by Army bashers and anti-PTI elements. Bajwa's brothers were doctors and executives. Given how much they earned even before the business, they would have had no issues with getting bank loans using their assets and incomes as collateral.

If the franchises they purchased were existing franchises, the structures and equipment itself would have been used as part of the collateral for the loans they obtained.

In general, running restaurants in the US successfully is extremely hard work - this is not a preferred stop for money laundering given the risks involved. Real estate, stocks etc are a much better investment for illegally obtained money.

You’ve hit the points brother. I’m in Chicago and I have businesses across few states and have borrowed against my assets as collateral. These franchises also do lending as well and what Bajwa and his family have is nothing my family has 3x that amount in assets in the US. And I know people business around my age group with that amount as well.

But we don’t come close to Bilawal who’s a billionaire at age 15 lol

Of all the important things that happened today in our country, private TV news channels started their hourly headlines from Mr RETIRED Gen Bajwa explaining his innocence.

Too much involvement in CIVILIAN matters. There is a limit to it.

Noorani is acting on the behest of others and in temptation to score a big story - unfortunately for him, per Pakistani law there really isn’t a clear violation of rules set for investments or business. Nor is there a restriction that because someone is a general their relatives must give up their lives and live in misery to avoid “suspicion”.
But unfortunately for Pakistanis in general, those brass that have used their offices to profit themselves and their families to the tune competing with the most corrupt of politicians - their names are generally never in the news nor on the surface but well spoken of within the pertinent grapevines and offices.

In the other thread where false rumours by Noorani were discussed. I posted the pictures of the Directors of the companies, which were not him or his wife. That was to show without too much comments that when the owners/directors are separate legal entities, the false claims falls on their face.
Unless some posses and shows a direct link and money trail to establish that link.

In the USA or UK Noorani would have been taken to the cleaners, he still should be taken to the cleaners.
Pakistani journalism is dead. Indian's and west's puppet nothing more. Money talks.

I wish beghairat Qazi Faez Isa had the same courage. He had been mud slinging everyone since charges were raised against him except responding to his allegations.

This is a good step that Gen Bajwa responded. This is a good precedent.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom