What's new

Gen Ashfaq Nadeem and Gen Ramday, not resigning

As much as i would have loved to see it happen and see the fire under NS's a$$ burn hotter, these are just speculations by the media. They are both retiring. It is not a matter of pride, it is a well respected tradition in the army which all officers take pride in following.

but in Gen Waheed Kakar's time...he also asked some of his coursemates to stay... General Waheed Arshad came on Ejaz Haider's show last weekend , and when asked, tht now both would retire..he said tht its not necessary and its their own individual decision.. he said tht we have heard tht when Gen Waheed kakar was made COAS, he also asked his coursemates to stay...here, also, Gen Bajwa is not exactly senior, but their coursemate

I read on twitter, someone shared tht these officers were asked by media in yesterday's ceremony and they said, we will continue, and Gen Ashfaq Nadeem, said tht we will continue, however its upto the COAS to make any decision..

Anyways, we will be confirmed..once next Corps Comm conference takes place, which will take place soon, as per news channels yesterday

It is a custom in the Armed forces that Generals do not serve after being superseded because it entails serving under those officers whom they have commanded in the past. Its a good tradition based on lot of logic and experience. I think both these senior officers should follow this tradition for their own sake.

Gen Bajwa is not junior to them, rather they are coursemates..so maybe tht logic doesn't apply here

Gen Bajwa is not junior to them, rather they are coursemates..so maybe tht logic doesn't apply here

Seniority in Pakistan Armed Services is not determined from year of commission, it depends on PA number assigned at the time of passing out. I think it is a good tradition and should be practiced, retiring from active service does not mean Gen. Ishfaq and Gen. Ramday cannot contribute anymore.

It is a custom in the Armed forces that Generals do not serve after being superseded because it entails serving under those officers whom they have commanded in the past. Its a good tradition based on lot of logic and experience. I think both these senior officers should follow this tradition for their own sake.

Dear there isn't actually a big seniority issue involved as all of them belonged to the same batch (PMA Long Course 62).

Dear there isn't actually a big seniority issue involved as all of them belonged to the same batch (PMA Long Course 62).

All Generals who are considered for COAS at any given time are mostly from the same PMA log course, as i said earlier, there is a difference of seniority even among course mates which is considered sacred by the servicemen.

Hi,

If this has happened---then it is a welcome change---and in future this practice must be abolished.

It serves against the state.

I think most of the servicemen will not agree with you. Even from an organizational point of view, if an organization is running like a well oiled machine, every part is replaceable and it will not affect the performance of the machine.

All Generals who are considered for COAS at any given time are mostly from the same PMA log course, as i said earlier, there is a difference of seniority even among course mates which is considered sacred by the servicemen.

I think most of the servicemen will not agree with you. Even from an organizational point of view, if an organization is running like a well oiled machine, every part is replaceable and it will not affect the performance of the machine.

Hi,,

Suchan innocent post---. Do you really think that all dogs born of the same litter are of same quakity and caliber---.

When a machine is running well---you never replace those parts unless they need to be---.

This is not a rule in the Army.

This is only customary tradition that when a junior officer is promoted and made the Chief, then the senior Lt Generals (if any) opt to retire due to service pride.

It depends on the understanding amongst the officers. If they decide to stay, it would be beneficial for Pakistan
Army.

Both Gen Ishfaq and Gen Ramday are due to retire on 8th August 2017. They still can serve well for Pakistan Army.

since its less than a year for their retirement, its logical that they stick around and advise the new chief esp LtG Ashfaq Nadeem.

Hi,,

Suchan innocent post---. Do you really think that all dogs born of the same litter are of same quakity and caliber---.

When a machine is running well---you never replace those parts unless they need to be---.

You will never find out what others are worth unless they are given a chance, may be someone else down the order is even better. Like in the case of Gen Raheel, everyone wanted Gen. Rashid or Gen. Haroon to be the COAS while Gen. Raheel was considered too easy going, look what happened.

It is natural that you think there is no replacement for experience while it is natural that i think exuberance of youth can easily makeup for the lack of experience. Although this doesn't apply here as the people replacing these gentlemen will not exactly be "youthful" or lacking experience so it further supports my point, if a few people keep on hogging the important positions thinking no one can replace them, deserving people down the line who may be better will never get the chance to perform.

Gen Ishfaq & Gen Ramday both will retire on 8th august 2017... Its a good step, they both are going to continue their designated positions are Corps Commander...

This is not a rule in the Army.

This is only customary tradition that when a junior officer is promoted and made the Chief, then the senior Lt Generals (if any) opt to retire due to service pride.

It depends on the understanding amongst the officers. If they decide to stay, it would be beneficial for Pakistan
Army.

Both Gen Ishfaq and Gen Ramday are due to retire on 8th August 2017. They still can serve well for Pakistan Army.

@Rashid Mahmood , you probably understand this better than most people on this Forum that it is up to the Senior Officer who has been " Superseded " to stay or resign. Here, in the case of these 4 contestants, Seniority was based simply on PAK No. Seniority only. Otherwise , all four were Course mates.

Personally, if I were in a similar position, I would not mind serving under my course mate, even if I had a senior Pak. No.

I am specially delighted to hear that General Ishfaq Nadeem has decided to stay. He is really an officer of very high caliber.

Last edited:
Lets see,. We will come to know, by next corps comm meeting at max..which is supposed to happen soon, acc to news channels yesterday
No it is not true..If they were too resign, they would have already done so as per tradition but since there is no such news even three days after the public announcement of new COAS, so the that means they are continuing and that's good for PA and it breaks the ego-centric tradition that has nothing to do with merit, strategy or rules.

@Rashid Mahmood , you probably understand this better than most people on this Forum that it is up to the Senior Officer who has been " Superseded " to stay or resign. Here, in the case of these 4 contestants, Seniority was based simply on PAK No. Seniority only. Otherwise , all four were Course mates.

Personally, if I were in a similar position, I would not mind serving under my course mate, even if I had a senior Pak. No.

Yes I do understand and I agree to you.

This doesn't only happen at the top, alot of superseded officers even at lower ranks (Major's /Lt Col's) also opt for earlier retirement, rather than serving under junior officers.

This is also one of the reason's Gen Ishfaq & Gen Ramday didn't retire.

Fake news.

General Ramday is retiring on 15th December.

Fake news.

General Ramday is retiring on 15th December.
Your source ??? If he wanted to retire he would have retired on the day General Qamar Javed Bajwa was announced COAS. Just like Lt General Haroon retired on the day when Raheel Shareef was announced COAS. So I highly doubt that Lt General Ramday would retire on 15th December

Back
Top Bottom