What's new

GDP 226 billion USD, Per Capita 1401 $

So you start with a joke. How much of GDP do exports and imports account for in India compared to global norm? Do you have a basic clue?

WTF! So you mean to say India still remains the same isolated Vedic shit as it was in the ancient period? Then what those FTAs are for?

Um ok so you continue your stupidity. Back in 2014, petroleum products was the single largest Indian export item. Its ok you have been used to living in a backwater all these years.

That's once in a blue moon. Your major export items have been IT/BPO, duh-hippity-hoppitus.

Only if the US is our dominant client.

So isn't it? Last time I checked US was the second largest market for Indian products after EU. And how do you make your transactions? Through some Vedic currency? :lol:

Fall in raw materials in value terms is to be expected given the commodity price crunch. I doubt volumes are very much affected, in fact they may have increased.

As for capital goods, a lot is due to make in india program which has seen banning of previously duty free capital good import such as in the power sector:

http://articles.economictimes.india...2847_1_capital-goods-epcg-scheme-alstom-india

It's not all necessarily a bad phenomenon as more leverage and space is given to the domestic capital goods industries along with grants for quality RnD (something unheard of in Bangladesh).

This doesn't explain the fall in imports of capital goods, make in India campaign has just started few months back and it will take time produce some results (if any). The ban on imports also doesn't cover any significant products. The expert in that article also clearly acknowledged that this falling imports of capital goods is a major concern for Indian economy.

And yes, we never heard of RnD as everything is already researched and developed in the ancient India and there is nothing left for the mankind to research. :lol:

This list were made with western standard diet in head.So a lot of emphasize were given to milk,cheese and loaf of bread which play minimal portion of diet in BD.Rice and potato the two most widely consumed food in South Asia is cheaper in BD than India.Fruits,vegetables,meat are comparable in price.I think the underlying factor which showing BD costly is bread and cheese.Which are cheaper in India due to large cow population.But no fish item is included in the list which is a major part of our diet and cheap compared to India.
Thats already about a 30% higher expense on average for a Bangladesh consumer compared to an Indian one for the same amount of items.
Where did you get 30 percent? For western type of diet it is 22 percent and Asian type of diet it is 12 percent which can be explain by above paragraph.

And where exactly is the large IT/BPO circle then for the exports part?

This is again just merchandise (goods) trade. That 142 billion is skewed by not being a full financial year. You got to double it to get an estimate for the full year as verified by what the actual full year figure was:

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/BX.GSR.MRCH.CD

You will clearly notice that this time the world bank page is goods exports ONLY.

You really were a dunce in class right?

This is for whole financial year 2012. Only 3 months figure is given for 2012-13 first quarter for country break down. for commodity breakdown its for 2012 full year. Read properly

This list were made with western standard diet in head.So a lot of emphasize were given to milk,cheese and loaf of bread which play minimal portion of diet in BD.Rice and potato the two most widely consumed food in South Asia is cheaper in BD than India.Fruits,vegetables,meat are comparable in price.I think the underlying factor which showing BD costly is bread and cheese.Which are cheaper in India due to large cow population.But no fish item is included in the list which is a major part of our diet and cheap compared to India.

Where did you get 30 percent? For western type of diet it is 22 percent and Asian type of diet it is 12 percent which can be explain by above paragraph.

It was just a rough idea of the concept.

The asian section is not even that south asian (no atta, lentils etc) We will need to seperately compare those from somewhere else. You can look at the living costs in the other tabs.

BTW, this is the basic exercise that IMF ICP program does in determining PPP multiplier....but they look more closely at the actual consumption patterns of the particular society.

.but they look more closely at the actual consumption patterns of the particular society.
Can you give me any data on per capita calory intake in India and BD? As food cost around 50 percent family budget in South Asia,so it is very important to look it's price and consumption level to determine the overall standard of living.

This is for whole financial year 2012. Only 3 months figure is given for 2012-13 first quarter for country break down. for commodity breakdown its for 2012 full year. Read properly

OK dunce confirmed yet again.

You have not explained why IT/BPO is missing from the exports breakdown (because then you have to admit that this is purely a goods/merchandise trade breakdown and no services).

3 months? Where did you get 3 months moron. April to September is 6 months and thats a HALF, not a quarter...and thats the big center number along with the non bracket numbers for the country composition.

The bracket numbers and the full circles at the bottom are from the previous entire fiscal year (2011 - 12).

Again none of this concerns any IT/BPO service figure which even you would have figured out by now if you simply opened the world bank links I provided.

Man everyone reading this thread must be laughing at you not getting something so rudimentary.

OK dunce confirmed yet again.

You have not explained why IT/BPO is missing from the exports breakdown (because then you have to admit that this is purely a goods/merchandise trade breakdown and no services).

3 months? Where did you get 3 months moron. April to September is 6 months and thats a HALF, not a quarter...and thats the big center number along with the non bracket numbers for the country composition.

The bracket numbers and the full circles at the bottom are from the previous entire fiscal year (2011 - 12).

Again none of this concerns any IT/BPO service figure which even you would have figured out by now if you simply opened the world bank links I provided.

Man everyone reading this thread must be laughing at you not getting something so rudimentary.
Because its the figure from Guradian UK. So they probably thought BPO as service unlike your govt.

Can you give me any data on per capita calory intake in India and BD? As food cost around 50 percent family budget in South Asia,so it is very important to look it's price and consumption level.

No recent good quality data available. I think theres a good world bank report coming out later this year where they will be standardising international poverty level measurement using better food calorie recall system.

It may be what we need.

For now the best I have come across is:

http://chartsbin.com/view/1150

where they even split by carbs/proteins/fat intakes in different charts and tables. But I am not sure how good quality their data is (though I think its taken from FAO).

Because its the figure from Guradian UK. So they probably thought BPO as service unlike your govt.

Plenty of industries provide services and not goods. We are going in circles yet again.

Industry in a broader context does not automatically mean only goods producers. I get that service sector is tiny in Bangladesh so it may be hard for you to understand this.

Again words like tourism, software, travel, banking, finance, leisure, entertainment can all be followed by "industry" to describe them.....but they are services when you properly classify them (since they deal in invisibles/intangibles)

So end of story, IT/BPO is not included in the merchandise (goods) trade even though we can call it the IT/BPO industry.

Got it?

No recent good quality data available. I think theres a good world bank report coming out later this year where they will be standardising international poverty level measurement using better food calorie recall system.

It may be what we need.

where they even split by carbs/proteins/fat intakes in different charts and tables. But I am not sure how good quality their data is (though I think its taken from FAO).

Plenty of industries provide services and not goods. We are going in circles yet again.

Industry in a broader context does not automatically mean only goods producers. I get that service sector is tiny in Bangladesh so it may be hard for you to understand this.

Again words like tourism, software, travel, banking, finance, leisure, entertainment can all be followed by "industry" to describe them.....but they are services when you properly classify them (since they deal in invisibles/intangibles)

So end of story, IT/BPO is not included in the merchandise (goods) trade even though we can call it the IT/BPO industry.

Got it?

You did not get it..

You did not get it..

Yah there seems to be a communication barrier here.

We will have to leave it to the people who read the thread to judge the facts for themselves, since you are either incapable of doing so or unwilling to.

It may be what we need.

According to this data, calorie intake in India is2300 kcal and for BD is 2250kcal.Not much gap.But this data is from 2005-2006.In the last decade BD reduced malnutrition much more successfully than India.So I assume, average calorie intake in BD is now higher than India.
Check this out.
Why Indians Cut Down on Calories as the Country Grew Richer
http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/...-down-on-calories-as-the-country-grew-richer/

According to this data, calorie intake in India is2300 kcal and for BD is 2250kcal.Not much gap.But this data is from 2005-2006.In the last decade BD reduced malnutrition much more successfully than India.So I assume, average calorie intake in BD is now higher than India.
Check this out.
Why Indians Cut Down on Calories as the Country Grew Richer
http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/...-down-on-calories-as-the-country-grew-richer/

The article itself has the answer:

She says that in its surveys, the NSSO has failed to collect accurate data on food being consumed outside of the home, which is “widespread and rapidly increasing.”

“The argument I make is that calorie consumption has probably been increasing, not decreasing,” she said in an email interview. “Undernourishment has probably been falling… but we are not seeing it in the data.”

But that could be changing. Ms. Smith believes with the most-recent NSSO numbers available to the public from 2011-12, a truer picture could be emerging. An uptick in average calorie consumption was witnessed in both rural and urban India–as were improvements in protein and fat intake.

She adds that the NSSO has begun collecting data on food consumed outside of the home “more thoroughly”.

So we will see how the next major NSSO survey looks like.

OECD for example lists per capita availability at 2455 kcal for India.

Better survey techniques also led recently to World Bank reducing India's absolute poverty rate (based largely on food consumption) to 12% from the earlier 22% for 2011.

So I doubt Indian calorie intake scenario is accurately reflected by that NSSO survey in 2011. In fact NSSO released a report soon after that no one really paid attention to that rectified this sampling problem a little bit for the time being and which had much better numbers. It will probably improve further in the next survey.

If you want to compare malnutrition reduction, lets look at the global hunger index:

http://ghi.ifpri.org/countries/BGD/

http://ghi.ifpri.org/countries/IND/

In last 10 years, India reduced its index score from 38.5 to 29.

Bangladesh in same time frame reduced it from 31 to 27.3.

So judging from that trend India will equalise and then beat Bangladesh around next year.

You see the problem with blind projection and assumptions?

Last edited:
Don't tell me that Indian are more quality conscious than Bangladeshi

I heard Banglafeshis are so quality conscious that they buy refurbished japanese cars,and even then they only have 2 cars per 1000 people.

Is that true ? :lol:

And yes, we never heard of RnD as everything is already researched and developed in the ancient India and there is nothing left for the mankind to research.

Increadibly stupid,to say the least.

You can't expect an intelligent reply from a sweatshop worker,can you ?

WTF! So you mean to say India still remains the same isolated Vedic shit as it was in the ancient period? Then what those FTAs are for?

Its not as "isolated" as before....but its certainly not overly reliant on external trade. FTAs are obviously to help expand the reach into new markets. But its not like India is suddenly going to become a hugely trade dependent nation.

That's once in a blue moon. Your major export items have been IT/BPO, duh-hippity-hoppitus.

Talking strictly about merchandise trade doofus. If 50 billion in one component of trade collapses to 10 billion or less, then thats going to have a major impact on the overall trade figures, but its not a homogeneous fall of the same degree across the board.

So isn't it? Last time I checked US was the second largest market for Indian products after EU. And how do you make your transactions? Through some Vedic currency?

And that "2nd largest" is about 13% of our entire exports. No where near a majority or something like that.

I know no one likes to touch a Taka in the world if they can avoid it...so Bangladesh has to trade using USD almost exclusively for everything....but its not like that for Indian rupee in most cases. The only major exceptions are of course trade with the US itself and oil trade...and some precious metals.

This doesn't explain the fall in imports of capital goods, make in India campaign has just started few months back and it will take time produce some results (if any).

Make in India started way earlier than that....and has already produced significant results. More investment in the program than Bangladesh got in 2 decades or more even.

The ban on imports also doesn't cover any significant products.

a) it wasn't a ban, it was a lifting of duty-free status

b) if you know anything about Indian capital good imports (which you obviously dont)....you would know just how skewed they are towards power equipment. So the move definitely would have a big impact on capital goods import.

The expert in that article also clearly acknowledged that this falling imports of capital goods is a major concern for Indian economy.

Far larger experts than him (from niti aayog and the CEA himself) have not rallied to that fear especially with more recent figures showing the inventories in the capital goods power sector are looking much healthier now....and good improvement in IIP index as well.

And yes, we never heard of RnD as everything is already researched and developed in the ancient India and there is nothing left for the mankind to research.

Maybe one day Bangladesh can stop scoring ducks, 1's and 2's in patent filings year after year to know what RnD actually means. It reminds me of Bangladesh cricket team :D

Back
Top Bottom