What's new

Four Kerala students booked for putting Modi’s photo along with Hitler, Osama in magazine

False is false, but lying is not a punishable offence or a crime in Indian law. Slander is. And that is true in most places on earth, that lying is not a crime. Perjury (ie, lying under oath) is. But slander is something that affects a living person, and he or she can go to court for that.

Please learn the legal technicalities between lying and slander. Also defamation, while you are at it.

(To reiterate, I don't believe that anybody should be arrested for caricaturing a politician or religious figure or anybody else. Defamation is a different matter.)
Slander: the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation or
make false and damaging statements about (someone).

I am not sure how making a picture about a Terrorist and claiming it Prophet....making in fact more than 1 comic is not considered a slander ...seriously when it suits you its legal slander when it doesnt its a lie! Its very funny how you people think hell! Its your land whatever just dont quote me I am out of this thread!

Slander: the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation or

I am not sure how making a picture about a Terrorist and claiming it Prophet....making in fact more than 1 comic is not considered a slander ...seriously when it suits you its legal slander when it doesnt its a lie! Its very funny how you people think hell! Its your land whatever just dont quote me I am out of this thread!
Sigh. I would again advice you to read up on what legally constitutes slander, not just the dictionary definition. That is, how slander can be established in a court of law. That will tell you something. Clearly you are not too familiar with legalese. It's not so simple as waving a dictionary at the judge and asking somebody to be arrested.

Sigh. I would again advice you to read up on what legally constitutes slander, not just the dictionary definition. That is, how slander can be established in a court of law. That will tell you something. Clearly you are not too familiar with legalese. It's not so simple as waving a dictionary at the judge and asking somebody to be arrested.
No I am not familiar with people doing gymnastics with words when it suits them! If you knew it that well you would have posted it by now like you do with other things! :tup:

No I am not familiar with people doing gymnastics with words when it suits them! If you knew it that well you would have posted it by now like you do with other things! :tup:
I don't do any gymnastics with words, but the interpretation of certain concepts is important in legal systems. Even the interpretation of murder is very murky in legal systems, and lawyers debate for days about whether it was murder or homicide or manslaughter (in India), or whether it was murder in the first, second or third degree (in the US). If such a seemingly straighforward thing as murder can be open to interpretation, you can imagine what it is like in the case of abstract concepts like defamation and slander.

In short, like the poster you responded to said, drawing a cartoon of Muhammed would not be prosecutable for slander in any Indian court. (It would be prosecutable under other offences, like hurting religious sentiments.) In Denmark or Sweden, it would not be prosecutable at all. But lying about a living person, like making a false allegation that a certain politician has ties to a certain criminal group, would be prosecutable by law. That's how it is.

They had freedom they published!!
People had objection (freedom to express their disapproval aka freedom of expression) they lodge complaint and if these guys are not guilty they will roam free soon.

Remember authority/ power comes with responsibility!!

Still better than being fired for plucking Guavas in Pakistan!!:sarcastic:
Pak constables fired for plucking guavas from PM Sharif`s garden
Just couldnt help yourself...

1st part was mature but reported 2nd part for derailing and trying to convert this into a dick measuring competition....Keep yourself to India!

I don't do any gymnastics with words, but the interpretation of certain concepts is important in legal systems. Even the interpretation of murder is very murky in legal systems, and lawyers debate for days about whether it was murder or homicide or manslaughter (in India), or whether it was murder in the first, second or third degree (in the US). If such a seemingly straighforward thing as murder can be open to interpretation, you can imagine what it is like in the case of abstract concepts like defamation and slander.

In short, like the poster you responded to said, drawing a cartoon of Muhammed would not be prosecutable for slander in any Indian court. (It would be prosecutable under other offences, like hurting religious sentiments.) In Denmark or Sweden, it would not be prosecutable at all. But lying about a living person, like making a false allegation that a certain politician has ties to a certain criminal group, would be prosecutable by law. That's how it is.
Did you just try to compare your crimes with US? Do you have an American system? Next you compare India to EU laws? wow!

In Denmark and Sweden it would be prosecuted under hurting religious sentiments but that law isnt strong as those countries only recognize not insulting Jews..that too because Jews did plenty of protests all over Europe and also because the heaviest body (Germany) was responsible for their genocide so had to step up the laws for EU ....

false allegation is like repeating yourself because allegations cant be true legally speaking allegations = a claim or assertion that someone has done something illegal or wrong, typically one made without proof.

Did you just try to compare your crimes with US? Do you have an American system? Next you compare India to EU laws? wow!
No, I didn't. I was speaking about how legal systems and the process of trials work. Read it again with a calm mind, because you completely missed the point.

(And BTW, we have a common law system. So does the US and Pakistan. If that's what you mean by "American system", then yes we do, and so do you. However the proper description for the system is "Common law system", not "American system" - it did not originate in America.)

No, I didn't. I was speaking about how legal systems and the process of trials work. Read it again with a calm mind, because you completely missed the point.
I am just laughing at it...You are soo quick to talk about foreign legal systems...this is Indian stuff so talk about your legal system only please :enjoy:

I am just laughing at it...You are soo quick to talk about foreign legal systems...this is Indian stuff so talk about your legal system only please :enjoy:
Read my post again, I have added a few lines. USA, India and Pak all follow the ccommon law system. Different laws, but the same legal system. The very same. Adopted in England since the Norman conquest.

I believe that it is your view that the cartoons were insensitive against Islam and not the Prophet (pbuh) and were a hallmark of religious intolerance ? If so, it is unfortunate (if I am correct) that nobody placed any legal challenge in Denmark to the cartoons. If a legal challenge was placed then the matter could have been put to rest there and then. Instead, like the BJP thugs in this case, the Muslim community ran a riot and destroyed their own property in many instances to showcase their anger against those cartoons.

I believe that it is your view that the cartoons were insensitive against Islam and not the Prophet (pbuh) and were a hallmark of religious intolerance ? If so, it is unfortunate (if I am correct) that nobody placed any legal challenge in Denmark to the cartoons. If a legal challenge was placed then the matter could have been put to rest there and then. Instead, like the BJP thugs in this case, the Muslim community ran a riot and destroyed their own property in many instances to showcase their anger against those cartoons.
Thanks for the answer :D

Yea Muslims were on the streets with protest and surveys in some of Scandanavian countries while other countries felt the need to not associate with such countries and literally cut business....soft protest was probably not advertised in India coz they were too busy showing the crazy mullah man (same one mind you) in most of their papers :enjoy:

Thanks for the answer :D

Yea Muslims were on the streets with protest and surveys in some of Scandanavian countries while other countries felt the need to not associate with such countries and literally cut business....soft protest was probably not advertised in India coz they were too busy showing the crazy mullah man (same one mind you) in most of their papers :enjoy:
When 100s of people are killed across the world, nuns in Nigeria are stabbed, and embassies are burnt, those items tend to hog the news than the so called "soft protests". That's the nature of reality.

And if you had any homesty, you would admit that it's those violent actions that drew attention to what was previously a trivial event that happened months before. Sociologists call it "manufactured anger".

1st part was mature but reported 2nd part for derailing and trying to convert this into a dick measuring competition....Keep yourself to India!

Your post confirms that there was no breach of freedom of expression. As I've said both parties has expressed their freedom by their actions. Now it's a good question that what you are harping on for a while about loss of privilege when none was taken/ lost.

About second part.. that a typical exchange we always engage with out Pakistani friends without any hard feeling .. only fun intended!

Your post confirms that there was no breach of freedom of expression. As I've said both parties has expressed their freedom by their actions. Now it's a good question that what you are harping on for a while about loss of privilege when none was taken/ lost.

About second part.. that a typical exchange we always engage with out Pakistani friends without any hard feeling .. only fun intended!

Yes I agree with the first part of your post but
Typical for you not me!

When 100s of people are killed across the world, nuns in Nigeria are stabbed, and embassies are burnt, those items tend to hog the news than the so called "soft protests". That's the nature of reality.

And if you had any homesty, you would admit that it's those violent actions that drew attention to what was previously a trivial event that happened months before. Sociologists call it "manufactured anger".
I dont know what is homesty but yes it was the media playing with sentiments because the soft protests which took place way before the crazy protest was totally ignored in the hope to brush everything under the rug but media sensationalized the whole event and got a bunch of reaction to cover as bonus

Back
Top Bottom