What's new

Fort Munro steel bridge, A Pakistani Engineering Feat !

Activities in Pakistan
East-West Road Improvement Project (I) (N-70) (PK-P57)
Background

The road condition of N-70 is poor. In particular, the road section on the hilly terrain suffers from frequent falling of rocks and debris and occasional land slide from the mountain side. Its narrow road width, coupled with small curve radius and relatively steep slope, prevents two opposite traffic passing at the same time, and keeps away articulated lorries or trailers from using the route, forcing them to take alternative route via N-65 to Quetta.

Objective

To facilitate mobility of both people and goods between East and West of the country, by improving the road section between Punjab and Balochistan on the National Highway No.70 (N-70), thereby contributing to socio-economic development of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.

Exchange of Notes signed on May 3, 2008
Term 9 years, beginning October 24, 2008
Total Amount of Aid 15,492 million Yen
Project Location Punjab Province
Executing Agency National Highway Authority (NHA), Ministry of Communications
Project Summary

The National Highway N-70 forms a part of an inter-regional trunk road that runs from east to west across the centre of Pakistan linking Punjab and Balochistan province. N-70 starts at Multan, which is one of the major cities in Southern Punjab, crosses over a high plateau called the Sulaiman Range ranging form 800m to 2,000m in elevation, ends at Qila Saifullah, and further connects via N-50 to Quetta which is the provincial capital of Balochistan.

Project Highlights

Construction of the steel "land bridge" is proposed to improve the narrow road on steep slope.

activity02_05_01.jpg

activity02_05_02.jpg

PAGE TOP

https://www.jica.go.jp/pakistan/english/activities/activity02_05.html

The Japanese construction company Taisei Corporation won the contract to build the actual bridges.

upload_2019-11-13_22-42-27.png

Taisei Corporation
Building construction company

And where exactly does it says the highlighted part in the link you posted.

CPEC East West Corridor: Upgradation of N70 National Highway (#Multan-#QilaSaifullah) at Girdu Hills near Fort Monroe in #DGKhan started in late 2016.
The road from Multan to Qila Saifullah is being improved and widened to link it up with the road network under the #China-#Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

The project is to be executed in three phases at a cost of Rs23 billion.
The first phase of ‘improvement’ of N-70 (national highway) commenced with the funding of #Japan International Corporation Agency (#JICA).

Starting from Rakhi Gaaj-Khar-Bewata, the project aims to make the hilly portion of the road wide and safe for #Gwadar-bound cargo traffic with the installation of eight steel bridges.

Uniqueness of the project is that it includes 1-km-long steel bridge, the very first of its kind being introduced in Pakistan.
The hilly portion of N-70, which was constructed in the late 19th century by the British engineers.
It had seven difficult turns to negotiate to climb up the high mountain of Girdo to reach For Munro or Bewata.

33-kilometre long tough hilly portion of N-70 would be widened and improved with installation of eight steel bridges having a total length of 1.5 kilometre.
The Japanese engineering company Japanese Taisei Corporation, which had made Kohat tunnel is working on this project.
(It's noy a part of CPEC Project)#

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=159574706

Japanese JICA are financing the project. So who you think they are going to contract? A Chinese company? A Indian company? Or maybe one of their own companies? Point being this is incidental evidence that validates it is Taisei. As context JICA funded the Kohat tunnel. Which Japanese company got the contract? Yes, Taisei. It has history of working on JICA funded projects in Pakistan.

2003:Indus Highway Project (N-55), Kohat Tunnel and Access Roads, Pakistan

We opened a Liaison office in Pakistan in 2002. At that time our business expanded mainly with civil engineering projects, starting with the Kohat Tunnel.

img_history1990_07.jpg

https://www.taisei.co.jp/english/csr/annual_report_online2014/history.html

Some incredible images from Skyscraper city.

D5UaQCfX4AAZvnN.jpg

D5UaQ23WwAEeKqk.jpg

FB-IMG-1556605764565.jpg

FB-IMG-1556605594465.jpg

58606436-745927365804134-3749024167530332160-n.jpg

CPEC East West Corridor: Upgradation of N70 National Highway (#Multan-#QilaSaifullah) at Girdu Hills near Fort Monroe in #DGKhan started in late 2016.
The road from Multan to Qila Saifullah is being improved and widened to link it up with the road network under the #China-#Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

The project is to be executed in three phases at a cost of Rs23 billion.
The first phase of ‘improvement’ of N-70 (national highway) commenced with the funding of #Japan International Corporation Agency (#JICA).

Starting from Rakhi Gaaj-Khar-Bewata, the project aims to make the hilly portion of the road wide and safe for #Gwadar-bound cargo traffic with the installation of eight steel bridges.

Uniqueness of the project is that it includes 1-km-long steel bridge, the very first of its kind being introduced in Pakistan.
The hilly portion of N-70, which was constructed in the late 19th century by the British engineers.
It had seven difficult turns to negotiate to climb up the high mountain of Girdo to reach For Munro or Bewata.

33-kilometre long tough hilly portion of N-70 would be widened and improved with installation of eight steel bridges having a total length of 1.5 kilometre.
The Japanese engineering company Japanese Taisei Corporation, which had made Kohat tunnel is working on this project.
(It's noy a part of CPEC Project)#

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=159574706

Japanese JICA are financing the project. So who you think they are going to contract? A Chinese company? A Indian company? Or maybe one of their own companies? Point being this is incidental evidence that validates it is Taisei. As context JICA funded the Kohat tunnel. Which Japanese company got the contract? Yes, Taisei. It has history of working on JICA funded projects in Pakistan.

2003:Indus Highway Project (N-55), Kohat Tunnel and Access Roads, Pakistan

We opened a Liaison office in Pakistan in 2002. At that time our business expanded mainly with civil engineering projects, starting with the Kohat Tunnel.

img_history1990_07.jpg

https://www.taisei.co.jp/english/csr/annual_report_online2014/history.html

Some incredible images from Skyscraper city.

D5UaQCfX4AAZvnN.jpg

D5UaQ23WwAEeKqk.jpg

FB-IMG-1556605764565.jpg

FB-IMG-1556605594465.jpg

58606436-745927365804134-3749024167530332160-n.jpg

You seem so desperate not to give credit to Pakistani Engineers at all.
Do you know your Mumbai Metro was constructed by a Chinese Company.

I am desperate to give credit to Pakistani engineers but not at price of deluding myself. Fact. JICA financed it. Taisei built it. Does it mean my patriotism should fudge these facts? No. I am not a teenager.

Not relevant to discussion in hand. Now if you can give me source that details another company [Pakistani or other] that has been contracted to build these bridges l;et me know.

I am desperate to give credit to Pakistani engineers but not at price of deluding myself. Fact. JICA financed it. Taisei built it. Does it mean my patriotism should fudge these facts? No. I am not a teenager.

It surely wasn't as basic as you put it earlier....

Correction: It is a Japanese engineering feat built in Pakistan. Then is nothing remotely Pakistani about the engineering. I can bet the designer, the project leader, the on site team, the fabrication of steel was all done in Japan or by Japanese.

And there are plenty of sources who disclose that Pakistani companies or engineers were very much involved.

It surely wasn't as basic as you put it earlier....

And there are plenty of sources who disclose that Pakistani companies or engineers were very much involved.
Behind Any construction project, there are two aspects, architect & construction company.

The construction company was Japanese, who was/were the Architects. Ultimately it is the specifications of the design firm/architect/ planning dept in question, that has to be followed.

Considering how vitally important these infrastructure project are; the government needs to enforce the weight limits so that overloaded trucks don’t destroy these national assets. Weigh stations need to be placed before being allowed onto these key points and all motorways.

I think he be a farsiwan Afghan, not a bharati

our country is prone to high intensity earthquakes,such type of bridges may get damaged in case of earthquakes so I think experts should consider this factor in mind before flooding huge money in such bridges

What if my car breaks down in the middle of bridge, what then?

Back
Top Bottom