What's new

Forbes > India Goes Hypersonic : New Missile Technology May Be Answer To China’s Navy

Chanakyaa

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
India Goes Hypersonic: New Missile Technology May Be Answer To China’s Navy

H I Sutton

Aerospace & Defense
I cover the changing world of underwater warfare.​

Cutting-edge hypersonic missiles could massively increase the potency of Indian Navy warships in a future conflict. India test fired its first hypersonic missile demonstrator on Monday. The test comes amid heightened tensions with China. There have been a series of clashes and shots fired on the border the same day. The rivalry between the two powers extends into the maritime domain where the rapid expansion of the Chinese Navy may soon reach into the Indian Ocean.

Artist's impression of a hypersonic missile

Artist's impression of a hypersonic missile launched from an Indian Navy destroyer. The missile ... [+]

H I Sutton
The indigenous Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV) should prove technologies which can be incorporated into next generation weapons. This may be one way that the Indian Navy can counterbalance the Chinese Navy’s move into ant-ship ballistic missiles.

The HSTDV test vehicle has been developed by DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation). It has a short range and does not carry a warhead. An anti-ship missile using the same technology could have a range of several hundred miles. But the increased speed, relative to current missiles, may come at the expense of range. Hypersonic missiles can still have a useful range however and their speed makes them extremely difficult to counter.

The HSTDV launch appears to have been delayed since August. It was anticipated by open-source intelligence observers using the warning notices given to shipping in the area. Twitter account @detresfa_ reported a launch window of August 20-22, but this was subsequently postponed. The final notice closed airspace from 4:30 a.m. on September 7 to 8:30 a.m. on September 8. Whatever the cause of the delay, the test was reportedly a success.

DRDO is known to be working on a hypersonic anti-ship missile known as BrahMos-II. This will succeed the Indian Navy’s BrahMos anti-ship missile, which is already supersonic. That flies at 3 times the speed of sound, known as Mach 3. Jointly developed with Russia, it is based on the P-800 Oniks missile and uses a ramjet to reach its high cruising speeds.

Ramjets are a type of jet engine that is mechanically simple but needs to be travelling at about the speed of sound to start producing thrust. For this reason they need a launch booster to get them up to speed.

Hypersonic missiles will be about twice as fast, flying at speeds in excess of Mach 6. They do this by using a scramjet, which stands for supersonic combustion ramjet. This is even simpler than a ramjet but needs to be going even faster to work.

The benchmark hypersonic anti-ship missile is the Russian 3M22 Zircon. This is only now entering service aboard warships and submarines. BrahMos-II, which is a joint Indian-Russia project appears to be very similar to Zircon and is possibly related. Exactly how the HSTDV relates to the Brahmos-II is unclear.

India’s main rival, China, is rapidly expanding its naval capabilities. It will soon have at least three aircraft carriers and a host of large destroyers, frigates and submarines. While China is not reported to have a hypersonic anti-ship missile, it has a number of sophisticated weapons projects. Many of its warships carry high performance anti-ship missiles. And they are complemented by anti-ship ballistic missiles which present their own challenges in defending against.

India’s hypersonic anti-ship missiles will give Chinese Navy planners a headache however. In some respects they are the counter to China's increasingly potent naval fleet.

India Goes Hypersonic; Still Decades Behind Chinese DF-17 Hypersonic Missiles – Experts

September 11, 2020

India Goes Hypersonic; Still Decades Behind Chinese DF-17 Hypersonic Missiles – Experts

September 11, 2020

Rx

Burnol-uses-side-effects-dosages.jpg

Remind me how many decades did it take before india's ballistic missile program actually got off the launch pad successfully?! That's right, decades. Successful missile programs or any other joint venture is only possible where Russia has helped and helped a heck of a lot. Was like spoon feeding a baby. After india's officially inclined to america's nato style alliance in the Pacific. Hence it would be ridiculously counter productive for Russia to render any further assistance to that pathetic excuse for an ally, india.

The benchmark hypersonic anti-ship missile is the Russian 3M22 Zircon. This is only now entering service aboard warships and submarines. BrahMos-II, which is a joint Indian-Russia project appears to be very similar to Zircon and is possibly related. Exactly how the HSTDV relates to the Brahmos-II is unclear.

This part of article basically sums up all the indigenous effort in this missile. They are just re branding Russian missiles just as they did with Brahmos.

Just in case someone has a doubt
960x0.jpg

Russian Zircon

23715508-0-image-a-3_1579684846584.jpg

Remind me how many decades did it take before india's ballistic missile program actually got off the launch pad successfully?! That's right, decades. Successful missile programs or any other joint venture is only possible where Russia has helped and helped a heck of a lot. Was like spoon feeding a baby. After india's officially inclined to america's nato style alliance in the Pacific. Hence it would be ridiculously counter productive for Russia to render any further assistance to that pathetic excuse for an ally, india.
BOTH India and China got massive help from Russia in developing missiles. China got R-1, R-2 and R-11 missiles in 1950s together with technologies and know-how.

First Chinese missile based on R-2 design called DF-1 was produced in late 1960s, about 10 years of reciving technology from Russia. It had identical range as of R-2 missile.

India started its ballistic missile program in 1980s, specifically in 1983. Its first ballistic missile prathvi entered service in 1994. It was helped a lot by Russian and perhaps American technology in form of SLV. About 11 years.

Both countries had almost equal initial help from foreign countries. Both took similar timeframe to deploy their first locally produced missile. Your argument is not based on facts.

This part of article basically sums up all the indigenous effort in this missile. They are just re branding Russian missiles just as they did with Brahmos.

Just in case someone has a doubt
960x0.jpg

Russian Zircon

23715508-0-image-a-3_1579684846584.jpg
If you are implying visual appearances of the vehicle, here is an impression of US SCRAM-Jet based test vehicle called wave-rider.

1599843048281.png

I hope no one jumps to conclusion based on mere physical similarities.

Both countries had almost equal initial help from foreign countries. Both took similar timeframe to deploy their first locally produced missile. Your argument is not based on facts.

China has already developed and operationalized DF-17 HGV. Remind me when has india deployed it's operational HGV? And you claim that my argument is not based on facts?! That's hilarious!!

China has already developed and operationalized DF-17 HGV. Remind me when has india deployed it's operational HGV? And you claim that my argument is not based on facts?! That's hilarious!!
That was NOT your original point. You said this :
Remind me how many decades did it take before india's ballistic missile program actually got off the launch pad successfully?! That's right, decades. Successful missile programs or any other joint venture is only possible where Russia has helped and helped a heck of a lot. Was like spoon feeding a baby. After india's officially inclined to america's nato style alliance in the Pacific. Hence it would be ridiculously counter

I’m very surprised given how almost every recent military program of theirs has been mired with problems

HGV DF-17 is a hypersonic glider. Indian test is a SCRAMjet powered test vehicle. It will lead to a SCRAMjet powdered cruise missile similar to Zircon. They are two totally different beasts. India most liekly does not have an announced hypersonic glider program. BTW, China also has a hypersonic SCRAMjet program and it is also in development stage, its called Starry Sky 2.

The country most ahead of everyone in SCRAMjet arena is either USA or Russia.

BTW, What is really hilarious is that you dont know even this much!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom