What's new

Export bids for JF-17 Thunder Multirole Lightweight Fighter Aircraft

The main issue with the JF17 is the Russian engine as the Malaysians have had cronic problems with the Russian engines fitted in the MiG29s which are now completely grounded. Hate to say this but the Tejas may stand a better chance with its American built engine. My bet is on the Korean jet to win this tender.
JF-17 engine are all overhaul by Pakistan and China themselves. They are specially tailor for JF-17. More than 90% of the parts are able to fabricate without Russia involved. Therefore the engine service availability are much higher compare to RMAF. The Malaysian totally depend on Russian is a mistake. China imported the AL-31 FN engine in the past from Russia but overhaul are 100% conduct by AVIC without Russian assist.

JF-17 engine are all overhaul by Pakistan and China themselves. They are specially tailor for JF-17. More than 90% of the parts are able to fabricate without Russia involved. Therefore the engine service availability are much higher compare to RMAF. The Malaysian totally depend on Russian is a mistake. China imported the AL-31 FN engine in the past from Russia but overhaul are 100% conduct by AVIC without Russian assist.

I agree but one cannot downplay the Malaysian experience with the Russians.

Imran Khan is going offer JF-17 to Malaysia and request for joint defense projects.

the Muslim ummah card never works in defense deals. its all about the country's requirements and needs.

Is Pakistan and Turkey deal not related to Ummah?

I agree but one cannot downplay the Malaysian experience with the Russians.

the Muslim ummah card never works in defense deals. its all about the country's requirements and needs.

Last edited:
The main issue with the JF17 is the Russian engine as the Malaysians have had cronic problems with the Russian engines fitted in the MiG29s which are now completely grounded. Hate to say this but the Tejas may stand a better chance with its American built engine. My bet is on the Korean jet to win this tender.

8.6b ?? Seems too high for maf which is made up of few fighter sqn And non on of the fighter in competition are that high priced

Nothing announced during recent trip ??

Hi,

Very good analysis---.

The other important question maybe---is the malaysian air force's servicing & maintenance unit as capable as that of the Paf or the Plaaf---.

Maybe that is where the problem may lie---.

It would be interesting to see Myanmar air forces maintenance records of the JF17's---.

Hate to say this but the Tejas may stand a better chance with its American built engine. My bet is on the Korean jet to win this tender.
what non sense! Tejas doesn't stand a chance to win any actual competition in india let alone in malaysia!! koreans, perhaps but tejas?? get real!

what non sense! Tejas doesn't stand a chance to win any actual competition in india let alone in malaysia!! koreans, perhaps but tejas?? get real!
It does of let say india provide zero interest barter trade deal...defense has lot of things not simple mathematics

You must be joking.

Mind your manners please. @fatman17 & @ziaulislam are senior & respected members of this forum. Please be civil in your exchange.

Pakistan can sweeten the deal by offering ToT for engine overhauls. It can not be too complicated. Malaysians are pretty smart, and budgets permitting, should be able to do as well as PAF personnel.

If this about capability additions only, only then LCA Mk1/Mk1A had any chance ( Tejas is AF name).

But india and Malaysia are not love buddies. So no chance. And those are indian allies also are allies of US and Europe. So they give far better deal than India.

Furthur, there is no export variant of LCA, there are lot of top secret things going into especially Mk1A, which IAF never allow to sell to foreign country.

So, until then, HAL not display export variant, it hold no chance.

What were the problems of malaysia with Fulcrum’s engine ?

We have WS-13 also ready to be installed, and even if by any chance malaysia inks deal on block 3, it won’t be anytime before mid 2021.

We have plenty of time to install, test and optimize The new variant of WS-13 on Block 3

Back
Top Bottom