What's new

Export bids for JF-17 Thunder Multirole Lightweight Fighter Aircraft

Many have been in "talks" for years
Stop spreading rumours. We'll hear about it when its confirmed
They were posted in APF the last i heard. On a simulator. Later they were attached with a OCU JF-17 sqn.

Update#2:

Two more major allies of Pakistan are in talks for JF-17 Block III.

Hint: One of them flies F/A-18 and other one will operate Rafales/Eurofighters. ;)

Oops! I did it again!

This youtuber claims that the first export customer of JF-17 Blk3 will be BAF. I find this hard to believe! Can anyone shed some light into this matter?

It's very difficult to imagine this deal happening while Sheikh Hasina is in power. Also, I think Pakistan will be very very reluctant to sell their most prized fighter to BD as our Govt. has really close ties with India. Nonetheless, I would very much like to know any info or opinion of the experts here. Thanks!!!
IMO, this video is just a fan boy's imagination. You are right, this not going to happen. India could take advantage of good relation with BD and could offer her products on attractive terms and conditions.
Further, BD has other choices/offers to explore.

This youtuber claims that the first export customer of JF-17 Blk3 will be BAF. I find this hard to believe! Can anyone shed some light into this matter?

It's very difficult to imagine this deal happening while Sheikh Hasina is in power. Also, I think Pakistan will be very very reluctant to sell their most prized fighter to BD as our Govt. has really close ties with India. Nonetheless, I would very much like to know any info or opinion of the experts here. Thanks!!!
It is more likely that Bangladesh may go for the J-10C. Pakistan will also not want to have India to snoop into the workings of the Block-III ... as it might be the case ... should the Block-III be sold to Bangladesh.

The video is truly the product of someone's imagination running wild.

Azerbaijan-Pakistan: new horizons of military cooperation
(Google Translated)

Throughout the history of independent Azerbaijan, Pakistan has been one of the most sincere, close and reliable friends of our country.
Not the richest country in the world with a hostile and aggressive neighbor, Pakistan, like no other, understands the troubles and problems of Azerbaijan, especially given the unresolved and constantly seething issue of Kashmir. Moreover, almost a year ago between India and Pakistan there was a short-lived combat clash, during which the Pakistani JF-17 destroyed one Indian MiG-21 and, according to some reports, shot down the Su-30, which accidentally landed on Indian territory.

Politically, our countries are experiencing an era of rising levels of bilateral relations, mutual respect and support. Over the nearly 30-year history of cooperation, both Azerbaijan and Pakistan have become stronger, and it pleases. Our friendship has also become stronger - Islamabad, as before, does not recognize Armenia as a state, but we, in turn, strongly support the Pakistani position on the Kashmir problem. President Ilham Aliyev visited Pakistan, in turn, and the leadership of this country came to Azerbaijan. Repeatedly, the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, led by First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva, helped the Pakistani people with various humanitarian projects, this help from the bottom of the heart has always been given to Pakistan in difficult times - during floods, earthquakes, etc.

But military ties occupy a special place in the issues of bilateral cooperation, being a logical continuation of the political relations of the two countries. The other day it received another impetus - in Rawalpindi, at the level of the Azerbaijani-Pakistani working group, the 9th meeting was held between the Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Azerbaijan and the Joint Headquarters of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. The Azerbaijani delegation was led by the head of the Department of International Military Cooperation, Major General Huseyn Makhmudov. During the meeting, the current state and prospects for the development of military cooperation, regional security issues, the strengthening of friendly relations between the armies of the two countries, including the holding of joint events in 2020, were discussed. At the end of the meeting, a protocol was signed.

This news is not an ordinary event. The fact is that 2020, by all indications, should be a landmark year in terms of military cooperation of the Baku-Islamabad axis. This year, we all expect the start of deliveries to Azerbaijan of the most advanced version of the JF-17 fighter - Block III, which has an excellent AESA radar system with an active phased array antenna. This radar is the KLJ-7A manufactured by the Research Institute of China Electronics Technology Group Corporation (CETGC). The CETGC claims that the KLJ-7A has similar characteristics to the radar used in the fifth-generation F-35 American fighter. In particular, with the help of the new radar, the JF-17 will be able to detect targets at a distance of up to 170 km and will have a combat advantage over the basic versions of F-16 C / D and F-15 C / D fighters (not equipped with radars with AFAR).

The acquisition of a new type of modern fighter is always an event for any country, including Azerbaijan. After all, the purchase, use and successful combat operation of complex aviation equipment is the pride of only a few, the most developed countries of the world. Azerbaijan with its strong economy, prestige in the international arena and an army that is among the 50 strongest in the world is just that. After all, “Thunder” will become a breakthrough - the first in the arsenal of a CIS member country is a modern foreign-made fighter (the Baltic countries may not be counted, the air forces of NATO member countries patrol the sky there in turn). The first and the best - because even one new radar will provide tracking of 15 air targets at the same time and simultaneously “capture” 4 targets - means that the JF-17 Block 3 is not worse in capabilities than the Russian Su-30MKI, Su-35S, MiG -35, Indian "Tejas Mk.2", as well as the French "Rafal". At the same time, “Thunder” also has elements of super-maneuverability - it is capable of supporting flight with large angles of attack, as well as realizing significantly larger angular turning speeds, comparable to the F / A-18C “Hornet” and F-16C. The glider has excellent operational strength, so overload can reach 8.5-9 units. They also installed a new Chinese electronic warfare system on the aircraft, which allows an effective fight against all modern radars and missiles with radar guidance.

Add to this the power-to-weight ratio, increased combat radius (thanks to conformal fuel tanks), almost 4 tons of combat load, short-range and medium-range air-to-air missiles, bombs, anti-ship and anti-radar missiles and outboard fuel tanks, coupled with a built-in 23 mm double-barreled gun - and get a powerful, balanced and at the same time relatively inexpensive fighter.

Here I want to emphasize two points - firstly, Azerbaijan insisted on buying the most advanced version of the fighter. At first, not everyone in Islamabad accepted it with a bang, but then they realized that Azerbaijan made this decision, including in the interests of Pakistan - when tomorrow the Thunder wins in the sky over Karabakh, it will be a great advertisement for Pakistani weapons in the world. Secondly, our cooperation with the Pakistani brothers is designed for the long term, and Azerbaijan is well aware that Pakistan is our reliable bridge for military-technical cooperation with China.

It is no secret that Pakistan is China’s closest ally in the region, which benefits from strong Islamabad as a reliable counterbalance to the influence of India. And finally, the presence of its own nuclear weapons gives Pakistan a special status in Asia, because besides it, only India and China have it in this region. All this has already turned Islamabad into one of the political centers of Asia and the Middle East, which is actively influencing the situation in the region. Naturally, it is very beneficial for Azerbaijan to have such a sincere and reliable ally in the region for mutual relations and the advancement of its interests.

Representatives of the military-industrial complex of Pakistan have repeatedly stated that they are ready to offer Azerbaijan any Pakistani weapons and military equipment, in any volume and quantity, while ensuring its stable after-sales service. And Pakistani weapons - ballistic and cruise missiles, tanks, planes and much more - are a product primarily of the Chinese military-industrial complex, but with the addition of American, French, and British technologies. That is, we not only with Islamabad, but also with Beijing are getting closer, taking the best.
The same JF-17 is equipped with several color displays in the cockpit and a helmet-mounted sight, which greatly facilitates piloting and air combat, has ultra-maneuverable air-to-air guided melee missiles, as well as medium-range guided air-launched missiles, which allows JF- pilots 17 engage in battle beyond visual sight. So the JF-17 Block 3 of the Air Force of Azerbaijan, controlled by excellent, well-trained Azerbaijani military pilots, will make our country even stronger and more protected.

In conclusion, I want to emphasize that friendship and intensive cooperation (including in the military sphere) with Pakistan are the result of the tireless diplomatic and political efforts of the President and Supreme Commander-in-Chief Ilham Aliyev, aimed at strengthening Azerbaijan and close, mutually beneficial ties with friends of our country. Undoubtedly, it will only grow stronger and develop, serving the interests of the Azerbaijani and Pakistani peoples, the interests of our two countries.

http://armiya.az/ru/news/154872?fbclid=IwAR0ObI84B0hO1kgPFFKmRWid-xdK6zWOtGHjW5uSQKSbc--g0J8wEBS3cbo

It is more likely that Bangladesh may go for the J-10C. Pakistan will also not want to have India to snoop into the workings of the Block-III ... as it might be the case ... should the Block-III be sold to Bangladesh.

The video is truly the product of someone's imagination running wild.

very true, selling JF to Bangladesh and the surprise is over.

Last edited:
I won't hijack this thread so my replies stop here.

But things aren't that simple.

https://theprint.in/opinion/india-i...are-sending-a-strong-message-to-china/272240/

I would argue Myanmar is more likely to leak to India than Bangladesh.

BY FAR.

Regardless, I am certain Pakistani officials are aware of these considerations much more than you or I.

when a sale is approved to it is not just a sale when it comes to defense articles.
a submarine for India's interests? how would one compare their trade with China at 1.4 billion with India's 80 million. things are not that simple.

Bangladesh will acquire the JF-17 Thunder the way Sri Lanka acquired theirs. Dreams.

Many China watchers including myself feel the Chinese F31 will be in PAF livery way before AZM and TF-X.
You're the third person to say AZM is on the fast-track. The engineers who worked on the Saab 2000 repair work said (on PTV) that it'd take "a decade" to reach the next gen fighter -- this was in 2017.

But what confuses me is that the current ASR of AZM is similar to that of the TF-X (which the PAF is interested in). Basically, twin-engine. So, is the PAF looking at a future of just medium/heavy jets, or will the ASR of AZM change if the PAF signs onto TF-X (i.e. go from twin engine to single engine).

The main issue with the JF17 is the Russian engine as the Malaysians have had cronic problems with the Russian engines fitted in the MiG29s which are now completely grounded. Hate to say this but the Tejas may stand a better chance with its American built engine. My bet is on the Korean jet to win this tender.
Pakistan's JF - 17 Thunder Fighter Jet in race for $8.61 billion International Arms deal

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Aeronautical Complex’s JF-17 is in the race to replace Royal Malaysian Air Force’s (RMAF) light combat aircraft/fighter lead-in trainer (LCA/FLIT) jets including BAE Systems Hawk and Aeromacchi MB339 trainers, and its Mikoyan MiG-29 fighters.

The 8 fighter jets shortlisted based on the requirements include:

- PAC/AVIC JF-17 Thunder - AVIC L-15A/B - Saab JAS-39 Gripen - KAI FA-50 Fighting Eagle - Aero Vodochody L-39NG - Yakovlev Yak-130 - Leonardo M346 - HAL Tejas

According to the requirements, the RMAF is looking for up to 36 multi-mission and cost-effective aircraft with an option to add another 26. It is expected that RMAF could be looking to acquire fighter jets worth RM 36 billion ($8.61 billion) over the next 10 years.

The common denominator in its requirements is the ability to offer advanced jet training and ground-to-air and air-to-air operations.

PAC is a strong candidate in the competition, however, it faces massive competition from China’s L-15A/B as well as from Korea’s FA-50 Fighting Eagle and Saab JAS-39 Gripen.

In recent times, Pakistan has been making strides to export JF-17s to Malaysia and Azerbaijan after successful deals with Nigeria and Myanmar. The forte for PAC’s JF-17 is that it is battle-tested and offers low upfront and maintenance costs.

The counter-trade options are not yet known and each of the suppliers is likely to come up with lucrative offers. It remains to be seen whether Pakistan’s close friend Malaysia goes for JF-17 or any other platform.

https://timesofislamabad.com/13-Jan-2020/pakistan-s-jf-17-thunder-fighter-jet-in-race-for-8-61-billion-international-arms-deal

The main issue with the JF17 is the Russian engine as the Malaysians have had cronic problems with the Russian engines fitted in the MiG29s which are now completely grounded. Hate to say this but the Tejas may stand a better chance with its American built engine. My bet is on the Korean jet to win this tender.

Imran Khan is going offer JF-17 to Malaysia and request for joint defense projects.

Back
Top Bottom