What's new

Exclusive: U.S. moves to cut Huawei off from global chip suppliers

The US cannot totally stop China's economic progress but it can severely slow it down. Let's just say this, without dramatic action, China would've become a global economic superpower within 10 years. But with this virus and a possible shooting war, which is definitely possible now, China will need 60 years.
Yes, U.S definitely has ability to slow down China but you forgot it also impacted U.S greatly could caused U.S even much faster to fall.

Yes, U.S definitely has ability to slow down China but you forgot it also impacted U.S greatly could caused U.S even much faster to fall.

The US is still far stronger than China right now. It can handle the blows. China is the one that's isolated.

I would love to see China and Xi keep on rising. What I don't want to see is Xi keeps on rising within China while China falling (by keeps on signing unequal treaties).

What China needs is a Putin right now.

Xi did a great job in the epidemic. But China is a meritocracy, every province governors would have done a great job.

A guy like Putin as President who manage the external affair and military while a Prime minister who manage the internal affair would be perfect for China.

That's what China had during the Hu Jintao Wen Jiabao era. Now Xi has gone straight authoritarian and wants to be a god king like Mao.

That's what China had during the Hu Jintao Wen Jiabao era. Now Xi has gone straight authoritarian and wants to be a god king like Mao.
Stop blathering and start understanding how the world works for once. China and the US can be best buddies if and only if China "knows its place" and sticks to making shoes and toys, when it's an economic nobody like it was in the Hu-Wen era. Your servility is both pathetic and disgusting - if you want to live in a servile country, go to India. China stands proud and undaunted; it has no use for cowards. Change your flag.

Stop blathering and start understanding how the world works for once. China and the US can be best buddies if and only if China "knows its place" and sticks to making shoes and toys, when it's an economic nobody like it was in the Hu-Wen era. Your servility is both pathetic and disgusting - if you want to live in a servile country, go to India. China stands proud and undaunted; it has no use for cowards. Change your flag.

Coming from a guy whose flag is Canada.

I'm not doubting what you said about the US being threatened by China. But Xi is also breaking the rules set by decades of cooperative rule and going back to one man rule which is the wrong direction if you want to eventually build a country ruled by law.

But Xi is also breaking the rules set by decades of cooperative rule and going back to one man rule which is the wrong direction if you want to eventually build a country ruled by law.
The West does not have a monopoly on defining "rule by law." I have zero interest in seeing China develop along Western lines - we see the results of the Western model in India. What I want to see is a superpower that can flatten anyone who dares to so much as look at it wrong. Cooperative rule brought endemic corruption and wasted development potential - the reason China's hand is weaker than it should be in the technology realm is precisely because of the blase attitude the "collective rulers" had toward technology independence. They were more interesting in maintaining their personal fiefdoms than in advancing the national interest. Stop whining about Xi, he was called in to fix the problems caused by decades of "collective rule" and he's doing just that. His performance has been nothing short of miraculous.

China now wants to ban Qualcomm, Cisco und Apple, come on do it.

Interesting to see who will come as winner you fight against the US in a war of attrition.
I think you are looking at this as a zero sum game. Whatever Qualcomm Cisco or Apple produces, there are alternatives in China.

US lost the first trade war after inflicting so much damage on their companies.

I think you are looking at this as a zero sum game. Whatever Qualcomm Cisco or Apple produces, there are alternatives in China.

US lost the first trade war after inflicting so much damage on their companies.

The Trade War stupid on all levels, American's mostly ended up paying the increase in taxes with higher cost of goods. Apple and Co., are losing some market share to Chinese producers as there quality and specs get better.

Has anyone body looked at Huawei and chuwi laptops ? They are amazing beasts and have beaten apple and Microsoft by huge margin in many of their product types.
China is more independent in many ways. It's holding on its shoulders. USA is falling and only inches away from the ground.

The West does not have a monopoly on defining "rule by law." I have zero interest in seeing China develop along Western lines - we see the results of the Western model in India. What I want to see is a superpower that can flatten anyone who dares to so much as look at it wrong. Cooperative rule brought endemic corruption and wasted development potential - the reason China's hand is weaker than it should be in the technology realm is precisely because of the blase attitude the "collective rulers" had toward technology independence. They were more interesting in maintaining their personal fiefdoms than in advancing the national interest. Stop whining about Xi, he was called in to fix the problems caused by decades of "collective rule" and he's doing just that. His performance has been nothing short of miraculous.

I don't think Western liberal democracy can work in China. I think what would work in China is something more similar to Singapore. However, China is still quite far from that. It's still very much a rule by man society.

Xi has been effective in introducing discipline to the party but his heavy handedness and paranoia has also caused him to far overreach in taking an overly confrontational attitude in many issues.

Sorry to disappoint all the trolls, losers, and haters (not really), but it seems the US keeps getting weak at the knees
https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-05-...eral-license-for-Huawei-Qw5L06gvUk/index.html
Dollars to donuts the US starts giving licenses to TSMC and everyone else who wants to do business with Huawei once Trump gets a look at the semiconductor stock plunge this is causing as we speak. Even if I'm wrong, the worst that will happen is that Huawei shifts to a lower gear for a couple of years until SMIC, SMEE, AMEC, et al. get their ducks in a row, then Huawei will shift up to the highest gear completely invulnerable. America will have played its last card and will have nothing left but to REEEEEEE and weep.

Why do you think that if China kisses a*s it will become powerful? Is "powerful" an adjective you normally associate with kissing a*s?

The 90 day licenses is only being issued so that current companies can fulfill their orders. After that, things will be choked off. If Huawei is to survive, the Chinese govt. will have to go on war footing to build domestic replacements for every component from lithography machines to software.

China must cut off rare earth supplies to the US NOW! This will certainly destroy many if not all US High tech industries. How do you fight a bully? By being a bully yourself (in this case against the US only, China should still maintain cordial relationship with the rest of the world). This has come down to a bare knuckle fight and so be it!

China must cut off rare earth supplies to the US NOW! This will certainly destroy many if not all US High tech industries. How do you fight a bully? By being a bully yourself (in this case against the US only, China should still maintain cordial relationship with the rest of the world). This has come down to a bare knuckle fight and so be it!

Not really. For China to respond proportionally and get dragged into a fight with the US at this time would be absolutely stupid strategically. This move by the US only highlights China's biggest weakness, which is its weakness in semiconductors. If China were to escalate tensions with the US right now, it would only damage itself and isolate itself regardless of what the outcome is. This would destroy its economic development. China's best bet is really to go into war footing and pour tens of billions into building an advanced domestic semiconductor industry and also next generation technologies.

Xi has been effective in introducing discipline to the party but his heavy handedness and paranoia has also caused him to far overreach in taking an overly confrontational attitude in many issues.
If Huawei is to survive, the Chinese govt. will have to go on war footing to build domestic replacements for every component from lithography machines to software.
Oh, no, no, you don't get to pretend you have a backbone now. What you really want is for China to get on its knees and say, "Please don't hurt me, big Amelican man! Me love you looooong time!" How repugnant.

Not really. For China to respond proportionally and get dragged into a fight with the US at this time would be absolutely stupid strategically. This move by the US only highlights China's biggest weakness, which is its weakness in semiconductors. If China were to escalate tensions with the US right now, it would only damage itself and isolate itself regardless of what the outcome is. This would destroy its economic development. China's best bet is really to go into war footing and pour tens of billions into building an advanced domestic semiconductor industry and also next generation technologies.

They already doing that, when this trade war started and they felt the pain they set up a $300B fund for Semi companies for R&D and facility upgrades. This war has some what been a blessing for China as well as it showed them their weakness, and they are working towards the China 2025 plan (which could extend 5-10 years more).

You are infuriating! What do you think China is doing?!

Oh, no, no, you don't get to pretend you have a backbone now. What you really want is for China to get on its knees and say, "Please don't hurt me, big Amelican man! Me love you looooong time!" How repugnant.

haha LMAO You sure love to put words into people's mouths. I'm a pretty calm, rational person. I don't analyze these issues through the prism of emotions but through logical lenses. In other words, I follow the school of realism when analyzing global politics. Neither the US nor China is the good or bad guy. Actually both countries are pretty shitty in the way they treat others. But why is the US acting like this? Because China is advancing very rapidly and if something drastic is not done, read turning the world upside down, China will soon surpass the US in a window of 5-8 years. That is no joke. The US knows this so it will throw everything it has against China to stop this from happening. As for China, it's goal is to keep its eyes on the prize, which is technological independence and superiority, economic development, etc. Getting bogged down in a conflict with the US will only distract it from its goal, and that is precisely the goal that American strategists are seeking.

If China was the global hegemon and the US the upstart, China would act in the same way.

Back
Top Bottom