What's new

EU asks Turkey to deploy it's military at Central Africa

I think Turkey should join this mission, its our responsibility as a strong muslim Nation to help and solve the problems on Muslim side, while EU can solve the problems on Christian side, whats going on there is a shame for humanity.

EU sounds out Turkish 'contribution' to Central Africa mission

The European Union has asked Turkey to contribute to a military mission to help end sectarian unrest in the Central African Republic, a Turkish official said Sunday.

EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton wrote a letter to Ankara on Friday asking about the prospects of Turkish assistance, the official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

The request came on the same day as the EU and France pledged to sharply increase troop deployments to the country amid mounting concern over spiralling Muslim-Christian violence that has already left thousands dead.

Ashton said the 28-nation bloc planned to double a previously agreed deployment of 500 troops, while France has pledged to send an additional 400 soldiers to its former colony, boosting its troop presence to 2,000.

The Turkish official told AFP that the EU letter did not specifically ask for troops from Ankara but was seeking some kind of Turkish "contribution". "We are evaluating what we can do," the official said.
European diplomats said troops from member nations could be deployed to Bangui from next month.

Many EU countries are willing to support France in the Central African Republic but are reluctant to get drawn into a bloody conflict between majority Christians and the Muslim community, sparked by a coup last March.

Major EU powers such as Britain and Germany have refused to commit soldiers but have offered logistics support.

Diplomats say efforts are focusing on smaller countries, adding that Georgia -- anxious to cement good ties with the EU -- could supply up to 100 troops while Estonia has offered 55.

INTERNATIONAL - EU sounds out Turkish 'contribution' to Central Africa mission

This a bad joke. Germany and UK don't send soldiers, other send around 50 - 100. This is nothing but a show. They will probably protect their assets in the region and has nothing to with a humanitarian aid or whatsoever. We shouldn't be part of their hypocrisy.

From their contribution we can see that they want 'active troops' from other countries. French would like that too, but everybody knows French is mainly responsible, so they can't chicken out. Anyway, let the Europeans handle it, they created lots of the mess in Africa anyway. Last thing i want to see is Turkish soldiers falling due Europeans mismanagement and blame in the past.

Then don´t wonder that nobody takes you serious when you are not able to take international responsibilty.

You still keep teasing us here :)
Well you might not be taking us serious, but hopefully rest of world is just thinking more logical than you
The CAR issue isnt about international responsibility, its on profit of French and main EU countries :)
Look who suggested soldier, georgia and some other countries who wants to have tighter ties with EU.
And Turkey considers to help in diplomatic and humanitarian aid. .
Dont worry :) i bet 70-80pct of turkish people more responsible than you (refers to personally @MarkusS not to all germans) about suffering people in the world, in gaza, in myanmar, in syria, in most of africa , anywhere .
Good luck and please stop teasing us , use a finer language.

Georgia, Turkey Consider Central African Republic Peacekeeping Mission
February 16, 2014 - 8:21am, by Joshua Kuce

Soldiers from Georgia and Turkey may take part in a European Union peacekeeping force to the Central African Republic. Georgia could contribute up to 100 soldiers to the mission, AFP reported, while Turkey's potential contribution seems less ambitious. The EU's foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton wrote a letter to Turkish foreign minister Ahmed Davotoglu, an anonymous Turkish official told the AFP. "The EU letter did not specifically ask for troops from Ankara but was seeking some kind of Turkish 'contribution.' 'We are evaluating what we can do,' the official said."

The EU force had been projected to be about 500 troops, but now may be twice that size. It could deploy as early as March. The EU force would bolster contingents of 1,600 French and 5,000 African Union troops already in the country aiming to stem the violence wracking the CAR:

The ... force will have just six months from when it becomes fully operational to help improve security and so "must attain visible results very quickly," Major-General Philippe Ponties, the commander of the force told a news conference. "The aim is to establish in our area of operations a kind of safe haven (in a limited area of [the capitol] Bangui) where people could feel secure," he said.

Georgia has offered a token contribution to another EU peacekeeping mission: two soldiers to Mali. But while Georgian officials have in the past emphasized that their EU military contributions would be "about providing (military) experts and advisers, not about sending combat personnel," the CAR mission could be dangerous. Reports the Wall Street Journal:

The mission’s combat rules are also still under debate. Maj. Gen. Pontiès said this will require a “very delicate balance” between the EU’s political sensitivities and guidelines and the needs on the ground. But he’s pushing for “the biggest possible leeway” for the force, he said. EU diplomats say some flexibility is likely to be built into the operational mandate, so that the force can effectively defend civilians under their protection and won’t be forced to sit by if there are violent attacks a few hundred meters from its formal operational areas.

Georgian Defense Minister Irakli Alasania said in December that participation in the Mali mission was still under consideration, and explained Georgia's interest in EU military missions. "We are interested in international operations for two reasons. The first - we are equal contributors to international and European security and we also receive great combat experience, that will further assist to strengthening Georgia's defence capabilities."

Georgian officials don't appear to have commented on the potential deployment, but 100 soldiers would be a pretty substantial contribution, especially when its 1,600-troop deployment to Afghanistan has become increasingly unpopular.

How did you know that he is an Indian??
He trolls both Indian and Chinese section.
Dont get into unnecessary conclusions.

I saw someone were saying he was an Indian. No offense but he kinda looks like Indian.

Germany and UK don't send soldiers, other send around 50 - 100. This is nothing but a show.

No wonder nobody take Germany serious when it isn't able to take international responsibility :)

Then don´t wonder that nobody takes you serious when you are not able to take international responsibilty.

No?

I saw someone were saying he was an Indian. No offense but he kinda looks like Indian.

No wonder nobody take Germany serious when it isn't able to take international responsibility :)

No?

Germany has participation in international duties, and taken serious.
Also seems like noone is urged to send troops for fighting, that issue solved by French military ,they gives main support
And some coutnries would give logistical support and i know germany is good in that with coordination.
as Turkey choosed to help in logististic diplomatics and aids , they choosed something as well , so lets not look down somebody just because a guy we saw here :D

Germany has participation in international duties, and taken serious.
Also seems like noone is urged to send troops for fighting, that issue solved by French military ,they gives main support
And some coutnries would give logistical support and i know germany is good in that with coordination.
as Turkey choosed to help in logististic diplomatics and aids , they choosed something as well , so lets not look down somebody just because a guy we saw here :D

I know. Just showing the guy how retarded he and his arguments are.

I guess situation like this, many wished Turkey had an LHD and LPDs (And yes I know CAR is landlocked).

I guess situation like this, many wished Turkey had an LHD and LPDs (And yes I know CAR is landlocked).
Air support is luxery in these kind of crises. To solve African or Middle-eastern crisis you need booth on the ground. Additionally if Turkey entered this crisis it could always ask air support from NATO allies. That is not the problem. Turkey doesn't have the finances to enter over sea ventures by her own anyway.

Air support is luxery in these kind of crises. To solve African or Middle-eastern crisis you need booth on the ground. Additionally if Turkey entered this crisis it could always ask air support from NATO allies. That is not the problem.

But it would be cool to see an LHD in, lets say, the Indian Ocean or the Red Sea, operating with T-129s and TH-70s (TAI version of UH-60 BH) in these type of crisis. But your right, the French Air Force would probably be near...

No?

And you look kinda australian aboriginal. So what?

And yeah, nobody takes germany serious, its just considered the hegemon of europe.

Its important nations do such humanitarian aid. Germany depended way too long on cheque book diplomatics, thats a mistake.
As i said, Turkey is free in its decission, it was a letter to ask for support. Turkey decides if it want help or not. In the end the EU will see what response comes from Turkey.

And yeah, nobody takes germany serious, its just considered the hegemon of europe.

Its important nations do such humanitarian aid. Germany depended way too long on cheque book diplomatics, thats a mistake.
As i said, Turkey is free in its decission, it was a letter to ask for support. Turkey decides if it want help or not. In the end the EU will see what response comes from Turkey.

You obviously have no idea about Turkey's humanitarian aid record. You might wanna check it out first before being a smartass here.

How do you know how tuAr

Back
Top Bottom