What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

Ooof, what a beauty. Despite the F-15 being a better fighter with an AESA radar, I still think they should deny it and stick with the Su-35S, just to complement the MiG-29s and hold on to that independent purchase ability. At the same time, they can have freedom of munitions also, but the drawback would probably be no AIM-120, and possibly some sanctions.

View attachment 829352
View attachment 829353
View attachment 829355
View attachment 829356
View attachment 829358
View attachment 829359
View attachment 829360
Whatever sanctions they will place on us is better than what they did to limit our airforce theres no harsher punishment than having your land violated and cant counter it.
if we were anctioned will saudi help us? UAE and saudi are thinking off buiding a pipe to israel to transport their oil saving money anf avoiding the suez canal and it looks like they might do it

Whatever sanctions they will place on us is better than what they did to limit our airforce theres no harsher punishment than having your land violated and cant counter it.

You think so? Interesting that you say that because most people fear sanctions quite a bit as certain ones can be quite crippling to even powerful nations. But, it also depends on what sanctions are implemented. Also they're like a powerful adhesive, once applied, very difficult and costly to have them removed. Then they really have to factor the cost vs benefit; is a batch of 20 or 36 or even 40 Su-35SE's worth the damage of sanctions? It's certainly a difficult decision Sisi & co. will have to make. Although when you listen to how general McKenzie worded that quote and said good news Egypt "we are going to provide them with F-15s." That sounds like a done deal and that the EAF has accepted whatever they negotiated for.

That said, we know the US' stance on providing their F-15s means no Su-35S' as they are very adamant about that. This all tells me that it's pretty much a done deal and that the EAF has most certainly (and unfortunately) cancelled the Su-35S deal with Russia. They lose whatever money they paid so far and Iran or maybe China will make a deal to take the aircraft.

Honestly, I have been giving it a lot of thought and IMO, I think the EAF is better off with the F-15s. Here's why - they can push for the AIM-120 (which is still worthy even when the AIM-260 comes out) because they still need to equip the F-16s with them and increase their lethality, since they certainly will be keeping the F-16 fleet for a long time. That aircraft is one of the most versatile and working horse that most air forces which operate large numbers of them like the EAF will very likely keep them operable for at least another 20+++ years. So why not get them stronger and better? Makes all the sense to me. Then they'll have the F-15 (which let's face it, it's better than the Su-35S) and will give the EAF a huge leap in strength and considerably lowered the aircraft's RCS. Not only is it a great dogfighter, but by increasing the composite level of its panels, they've lowered its RCS and have also improved its avionics including a much better AESA radar in the new EX model. The airframe has also been upgraded to last 20 years which is unheard of! Most airframes are rated for 6 years maximum and this one is 20?!?! We also know what the payload is on that aircraft as it can carry an enormous amount of munitions.

Then there is the ever so important coms issue where it will fit right in with Link-16 & Rafales and easily operate with the EAF's E-2C Hawkeyes, sat coms, the entire fleet of F-16s and fit right in. this as well as work with important allies in the region on a much better and closer level such a Greece, even other NATO members flying over the Mediterranean. Then there is Saudi and the UAE that you mentioned and having this compatibility will bring the EAF in a much closer and righter operational capability with those two brotherly nations. That's a huge factor. This cannot be said for the Su-35S although the latter would fit into the 2nd fleet of Russian aircraft in only the MiG-29M/M2s and possibly the MiG-35s. Hopefully the EAF's RSC2 network works very well and combines all platforms giving them coms in real time and not delayed. That part is most critical so that both types would now operate as one instead of two separate ones which becomes a drag. JTAC would now be improved on a much better scale. All these are benefits to acquiring the F-15 more so than the Su-35S. This is why they most likely agreed to it since I'm sure they not only know all the stuff I just mentioned, but much more of course.

So, once they've settled on the F-15s with the US, they can move on to the Su-57 or Su-75 to introduce some aspect of stealth into the EAF. By then they can argue with the US that this is separate from the Su-35 deal and that since the US has denied the F-35 to Egypt, it now has the right to pursue other avenues and since China doesn't export its aircraft much, the only other choice would be Russia's Su-57 and Su-75. I think those steps are the best way for the EAF to get what it wants and begin to jump into the stealth realm of aircraft as soon as possible as to not left behind. Sorry for the long post!

UAE and saudi are thinking off buiding a pipe to israel to transport their oil saving money anf avoiding the suez canal and it looks like they might do it

It appears that since the Russo/Ukrainian war that the traffic through the Suez Canal has increased exponentially, prompting the government and the canal's authority to increase the transit fees again. I'm sure that hasn't made a lot of nations and corporations using the canal on a regular basis too happy. But that is the way it is and I would think that with the assistance of UAE and especially Saudiya through the decades of brotherly friendship between the two countries that Egypt gives Saudi some relief or benefits in the transit of their ships through the canal as a form or payback and gratitude. Same with the UAE, I just can't see them charging those two countries the standard rate and that they give them some sort of relief.

But, if it's just for delivering to Israel, then the canal is not relevant whatsoever. Their route would be from the right side of Sinai instead, through the Straights of Tiran up the Gulf of Aqaba and right to the port of Eilat. No canal at all. But for their shipping to point Europe, that would certainly be through the Suez Canal. By knowing roughly that at least Saudi Arabia's volume of oil export is huge, their shipping transit would be a large loss to Egypt there is no doubt about that.

Last edited:
if we were anctioned will saudi help us? UAE and saudi are thinking off buiding a pipe to israel to transport their oil saving money anf avoiding the suez canal and it looks like they might do it
Wherever you heard these rumors ..they are false.. first of all Saudi Arabia has no relations with Usrael whatsoever.. maybe the UAE can do it for oil sales to Sousou..that's all..

As for KSA help.. sanctions or not.. it will help of course.. it has just deposited $5 billion in the Egyptian central bank..to encourage more Foreign direct investments (FDIs) from all over the world..

You think so? Interesting that you say that because most people fear sanctions quite a bit as certain ones can be quite crippling to even powerful nations. But, it also depends on what sanctions are implemented. Also they're like a powerful adhesive, once applied, very difficult and costly to have them removed. Then they really have to factor the cost vs benefit; is a batch of 20 or 36 or even 40 Su-35SE's worth the damage of sanctions? It's certainly a difficult decision Sisi & co. will have to make. Although when you listen to how general McKenzie worded that quote and said good news Egypt "we are going to provide them with F-15s." That sounds like a done deal and that the EAF has accepted whatever they negotiated for.

That said, we know the US' stance on providing their F-15s means no Su-35S' as they are very adamant about that. This all tells me that it's pretty much a done deal and that the EAF has most certainly (and unfortunately) cancelled the Su-35S deal with Russia. They lose whatever money they paid so far and Iran or maybe China will make a deal to take the aircraft.

Honestly, I have been giving it a lot of thought and IMO, I think the EAF is better off with the F-15s. Here's why - they can push for the AIM-120 (which is still worthy even when the AIM-260 comes out) because they still need to equip the F-16s with them and increase their lethality, since they certainly will be keeping the F-16 fleet for a long time. That aircraft is one of the most versatile and working horse that most air forces which operate large numbers of them like the EAF will very likely keep them operable for at least another 20+++ years. So why not get them stronger and better? Makes all the sense to me. Then they'll have the F-15 (which let's face it, it's better than the Su-35S) and will give the EAF a huge leap in strength and considerably lowered the aircraft's RCS. Not only is it a great dogfighter, but by increasing the composite level of its panels, they've lowered its RCS and have also improved its avionics including a much better AESA radar in the new EX model. The airframe has also been upgraded to last 20 years which is unheard of! Most airframes are rated for 6 years maximum and this one is 20?!?! We also know what the payload is on that aircraft as it can carry an enormous amount of munitions.

Then there is the ever so important coms issue where it will fit right in with Link-16 & Rafales and easily operate with the EAF's E-2C Hawkeyes, sat coms, the entire fleet of F-16s and fit right in. this as well as work with important allies in the region on a much better and closer level such a Greece, even other NATO members flying over the Mediterranean. Then there is Saudi and the UAE that you mentioned and having this compatibility will bring the EAF in a much closer and righter operational capability with those two brotherly nations. That's a huge factor. This cannot be said for the Su-35S although the latter would fit into the 2nd fleet of Russian aircraft in only the MiG-29M/M2s and possibly the MiG-35s. Hopefully the EAF's RSC2 network works very well and combines all platforms giving them coms in real time and not delayed. That part is most critical so that both types would now operate as one instead of two separate ones which becomes a drag. JTAC would now be improved on a much better scale. All these are benefits to acquiring the F-15 more so than the Su-35S. This is why they most likely agreed to it since I'm sure they not only know all the stuff I just mentioned, but much more of course.

So, once they've settled on the F-15s with the US, they can move on to the Su-57 or Su-75 to introduce some aspect of stealth into the EAF. By then they can argue with the US that this is separate from the Su-35 deal and that since the US has denied the F-35 to Egypt, it now has the right to pursue other avenues and since China doesn't export its aircraft much, the only other choice would be Russia's Su-57 and Su-75. I think those steps are the best way for the EAF to get what it wants and begin to jump into the stealth realm of aircraft as soon as possible as to not left behind. Sorry for the long post!
I agree with your thoughts concerning the western part of the EAF.. and Maybe getting the SU-57 and SU-75 can be a good idea and even a better alternative to just the SU-35..

1648919763911.png

1648919813934.png

Hey @joker87 , do you have any more information on what the modification was on the Egyptian AIM-7 sparrow that was seen in the pic? Would love to know what it is!

1648926703886.png

Hey @joker87 , do you have any more information on what the modification was on the Egyptian AIM-7 sparrow that was seen in the pic? Would love to know what it is!

View attachment 829790
Do you think that Egyptian Air Forces made modifications maybe to transform it to active radar seeker missile?
I am "afraid" that this angle of this picture made us suspect that we convert to fox-3 missile.

Ramadan Kareem Guys I forgot tell you ❤️❤️

It appears that since the Russo/Ukrainian war that the traffic through the Suez Canal has increased exponentially, prompting the government and the canal's authority to increase the transit fees again. I'm sure that hasn't made a lot of nations and corporations using the canal on a regular basis too happy. But that is the way it is and I would think that with the assistance of UAE and especially Saudiya through the decades of brotherly friendship between the two countries that Egypt gives Saudi some relief or benefits in the transit of their ships through the canal as a form or payback and gratitude. Same with the UAE, I just can't see them charging those two countries the standard rate and that they give them some sort of relief.

But, if it's just for delivering to Israel, then the canal is not relevant whatsoever. Their route would be from the right side of Sinai instead, through the Straights of Tiran up the Gulf of Aqaba and right to the port of Eilat. No canal at all. But for their shipping to point Europe, that would certainly be through the Suez Canal. By knowing roughly that at least Saudi Arabia's volume of oil export is huge, their shipping transit would be a large loss to Egypt there is no doubt about that.
if they did cancel it really doesnt make sense why theres still pilots training and more planes being built, beleive me having a restriction on its use and the blocking of future armaments on an F22 isnt worth it and the possibility of the EX airframe is very minimal to say the least it didnt acheive full operational capability for it to be exported even if dont expect us having the same variant israel has in the long run. The Su-35 is the best option free use and advanced armaments is enough. If there problems with communication or data sharing we would see an eastren and westren wing within the EAF but that didnt happen to my own suprise whatever magic they have fixed this issue that we still know nothing about other than they succeeded. Sanctions on egypt is a huge loss to the US itself it will hurt them more than it will hurt us you can expect tensions between israel rise as violations of the peace agreement might be taken after this detoritation of relationship, they will lose the suez canal completely on millitary and maybe commercial level not to mention the arab world will stand with us against america they will lose the whole region they can only hope a revleoution in Egypt commences

Do you think that Egyptian Air Forces made modifications maybe to transform it to active radar seeker missile?
I am "afraid" that this angle of this picture made us suspect that we convert to fox-3 missile.

i wish also ramadan kareem

That's exactly what I'm thinking also. It seems pretty obvious. Also the US Navy operates the Sparrow and you know they have a version of the AIM-7 that is a fire and forget and they're not using a semi active missile from the 60's! So why would the EAF settle for that either?

Ramadan Kareem to you as well and everyone else on this board. W'kol sana wentum tayebeen
if they did cancel it really doesnt make sense why theres still pilots training and more planes being built,

Those are most likely Russian test pilots taking out the aircraft for testing all systems. We don't know if there are any EAF pilots there or not. Plus they have to finish the construction of whatever many aircraft are still incomplete on the assembly line. They can't just abandon them and leave them unfinished. I'm sure there is a clause in the contract signed between Egypt and Russia that if the former was to either back out or not be able to pay the final cost, that they would lose whatever money put up front.

beleive me having a restriction on its use and the blocking of future armaments on an F22 isnt worth it and the possibility of the EX airframe is very minimal to say the least it didnt acheive full operational capability for it to be exported even if dont expect us having the same variant israel has in the long run.

Totally agree with you exept the airframe part. The Saudi F-15s as well as the Qatari ones have the new airframes (not the 20 year ones but the preceding gen) and they are very well equipped and advanced. So this is not a chicken by any means and American engines and quality build has always been a step better than Russian. I still would prefer the Su-35 just like you for the reasons you mentioned as well as strengthening the MiG fleet which I think is very important. But the F-15s do have their advantages as well.

The Su-35 is the best option free use and advanced armaments is enough.

Agreed. I would make that choice as well if I was in charge of the EAF.

Sanctions on egypt is a huge loss to the US itself it will hurt them more than it will hurt us you can expect tensions between israel rise as violations of the peace agreement might be taken after this detoritation of relationship, they will lose the suez canal completely on millitary and maybe commercial level not to mention the arab world will stand with us against america they will lose the whole region they can only hope a revleoution in Egypt commences

Yeah but don't under estimate the power and influence of the US. They could also create havoc for Egypt and its economy in many ways with their worldly influence. I think cooler heads must prevail.

1648941180106.png

That's exactly what I'm thinking also. It seems pretty obvious. Also the US Navy operates the Sparrow and you know they have a version of the AIM-7 that is a fire and forget and they're not using a semi active missile from the 60's! So why would the EAF settle for that either?
Where is the source? Because I know that the US Navy tried to convert AIM-7 into FOX-3 missile but they abandoned it. I hope that we converted it into active radar homing missile.

Where is the source?

It was originally posted by @joker87 . That's all we know about that!

Where is the source? Because I know that the US Navy tried to convert AIM-7 into FOX-3 missile but they abandoned it. I hope that we converted it into active radar homing missile.

They still use the it in the US Navy. I've seen very recent pics of them mounting them on the carrier F/A-18 Super Hornets. I'll try to find them and the accompanying articles. Where did you read that they abandoned the conversion to FOX 3?

1648944608017.png

1648944632217.png

1648944661043.png

Last edited:
They still use the it in the US Navy. I've seen very recent pics of them mounting them on the carrier F/A-18 Super Hornets. I'll try to find them and the accompanying articles. Where did you read that they abandoned the conversion to FOX 3?

"The small size of the missile forebody and the K-band AN/APQ-64-radar limited performance, and it was never able to work in testing. After considerable development and test firings in the U.S. and Canada, Douglas abandoned development in 1956. Canadair continued development until the Arrow was cancelled in 1959." (wikipedia)

View attachment 829790
The missile may have been modified in cooperation with Germany. This is all that most of the Egyptian members reached, because Germany sold 300 advanced researchers to Egypt.

"The small size of the missile forebody and the K-band AN/APQ-64-radar limited performance, and it was never able to work in testing. After considerable development and test firings in the U.S. and Canada, Douglas abandoned development in 1956. Canadair continued development until the Arrow was cancelled in 1959." (wikipedia)

Very interesting, thanks for that link, They don't mention how it came back into production and by whom after the cancellation in 1959 since someone still produces the latest versions till today. It was also extensively used in Vietnam. As a matter of fact, that was the missile that somehow convinced the USAF that the new Phantom F-4s didn't need a gun and could rely strictly on the AIM-7 Sparrow. Not sure if the AIM-9 was produced yet but we know the Sparrow was. So at some point between 1959 and 1965 or so, they reintroduced the missile as we know it today.

Mounted on a carrier-based F/A-18 Hornet.

1648948747254.png

Getting ready to be mounted on F-15s.

1648948791855.png

1648948819802.png

F-16

1648948870559.png

Makes one really curious about the ones in the EAF.

EDIT: I guess @joker87 answered the question. Germany being the culprit but somehow I think Raytheon of some US company also still produces them for the US Navy as well as export to friendly nations. That was to make up for not allowing the AIM-120 to be sold to Egypt. So the EAF had to do something to make it more advanced and closer to a fire and forget missile. How and what they did is to be determined. I doubt we'll ever know until the missile is long retired.

Last edited:

I honestly would love to see the EAF give the US the proverbial middle finger because of the latter's arrogance in the matter and threatening of punishment through CAATSA and other means, especially from Pompeo. We haven't heard anything from the Biden administration but I'm sure they're towing the same line, hence the F-15 approval. But after being denied that aircraft for almost 2 decades, it's almost shameful that they would accept it at this point.

You're absolutely right about freedom of munitions acquisitions, especially the R-37M AWACs killer. That's what scaring the crap out of the Israelis because that missile would essentially wipe out their AWACs capabilities and they don't have any counter to it. That's where the US had to step in and threaten Egypt if it proceeded with the Su-35 purchase. Not to mention the other weapons it's capable of deploying. No wonder the Israelis were gladly encouraging the F-15 purchase! lol. Too bad the EAF will agree and not upset the relationship, especially with the US.

1648953014371.png

1648953034555.png

1648953064141.png

1648953086837.png

1648953101479.png

1648953118272.png

1648953159680.png

A nice look at the interior spacing of the EN's Type 209 submarine.

1648953192251.png

MEN at the ready!

1648953239464.png

1648953257739.png

1648953279836.png

1648953387439.png

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom