What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

4 GM400 early warning radars; 3D radars for long-range air defense
And also we need that russian platypus bomber and s400s
I have concerns about russian weapons but they are much better than Chinese

One was a Rafale. Callsign Cobra and the other was a MiG-29M2 which suffered an engine related problem AFAIK, the crew ejected and were rescued but Cobra died in the crash
Egypt is putting too much focus on buying fighter jets. But not much focus on AWACS and Electronic Warfare planes. Plus Egypt needs to work on surface to surface and sea to land cruise missiles.
Egypt as of 2018 had some cents on linking radars and Air Defence systems, Egypt is *said* to be working on an Air Defence system. @Philip the Arab had some research papers published by Egyptians that were related to radar and stealth, perhaps he should share them. Concerning AWACS:
One of Janes articles was published back around 2010 that was shared on an Arabic Defence Forum. Context
5EB31C4D-3FCF-472A-BCB8-81F857E3BC78.jpeg

I conclude that purchasing another AWACS would mean replacing the communication units of the EAF F-16 fleet.
@Zarvan thanks for bringing up these topics.

Egyptians that were related to radar and stealth, perhaps he should share them.
I'm 99% sure Egypt could develop electronic warfare systems and an at the minimum SARH SAM if not a ARH SAM.

AWACS would be a lot harder to make, but in theory with help of aircraft OEM it would be possible.

These are two fairly recent research articles

Tankers needed for Ethiopian operation
Let's destroy that wall
Egypt since Nasir era always in quest of modern weapon and it seems its Egyptian govt mindset. Why such a massive buildup. still, Isreal is arch-rival in their mind or deep state policy or its Nile water threat? ..or Suez canal still under unknown threat?
@Gomig-21 @The SC

Need a link that shows our F-16s are equipped with Link-16. I remember talking to @Frogman about it and he said that the original Rafale purchase would work great with the F-16 because the Rafale is equipped with Link-16 and that was his reasoning why they should stick with only more Rafales and wasn't very happy about the Russian deals. But with all the exercising with the US and JTSA (or whatever it's called required link-16 but I can't find it anywhere. If anyone can help me find a source, please do. I know for sure they were part of the block 409 upgrade. and I'm trying to find either a source to confirm it or the post where he stated it. I'll have to go back and search this thread quite a bit when I have some time @The SC if you have one let me know bro.

@HAIDER , I will answer your question shortly, my friend. Let me just get this info first.

Egypt since Nasir era always in quest of modern weapon and it seems its Egyptian govt mindset. Why such a massive buildup. still, Isreal is arch-rival in their mind or deep state policy or its Nile water threat? ..or Suez canal still under unknown threat?
@Gomig-21 @The SC

Nile water threat does not require all the build up you are mentioning. The mindset is being strong regardless of the threats. At the time of a sudden threat, no one will wait and give you the sufficient time to build up. Except for the last decade in Mubarak's era who did nothing against the American restrictions on Egypt in particular to keep their spoiled baby superior in the region.

@Gomig-21 @The SC
All of that and more..

That is not true since Abdel Nasser.. for 30 years after Sadat all procurements were from the US in form of military assistance $1.2 billion annually for the peace deal with Usrael who got 3 times what Egypt got plus technological assisstance.. But Egypt did not get that.. after a while Egypt was even denied the latest US weapons that were provided to Usreal..So now is the time of modernization.. nothing more, nothing less..

Need a link that shows our F-16s are equipped with Link-16. I remember talking to @Frogman about it and he said that the original Rafale purchase would work great with the F-16 because the Rafale is equipped with Link-16 and that was his reasoning why they should stick with only more Rafales and wasn't very happy about the Russian deals. But with all the exercising with the US and JTSA (or whatever it's called required link-16 but I can't find it anywhere. If anyone can help me find a source, please do. I know for sure they were part of the block 409 upgrade. and I'm trying to find either a source to confirm it or the post where he stated it. I'll have to go back and search this thread quite a bit when I have some time @The SC if you have one let me know bro.

@HAIDER , I will answer your question shortly, my friend. Let me just get this info first.
"Link 16 is a military tactical data link network used by NATO and nations allowed by the MIDS International Program Office (IPO). Its specification is part of the family of Tactical Data Links. With Link 16, military aircraft as well as ships and ground forces may exchange their tactical picture in near-real time."

It was not approved for Egypt yet as far as we know.. but with SISMOA who knows.. it might have been approved or on the verge of being..

But as you know Egypt is not waiting.. and for "just in case".. it has developed the RISC2..

Paris has stood as a guarantor with French banks to fund 5.4 billion euros for several arms contracts with Egypt, including the sale of 30 Rafale for nearly 4 billion euros, as well as the sale of a surveillance satellite and two MRTT330 refueling aircraft for 1.4 billion euros.

@Gomig-21 @The SC

Ok, bro. honestly, I might contradict SC a little bit but Nasser was totally different from Sisi and things have changed cosiderably since them. As a matter of fact, a pole was taken as to who has been the best president for Egypt during the past 75 years or so and I honestly thought the pole would favor Nasser because he did a lot of great things with Sadat coming 2nd because of the success of 1973 and the peace after which brought back Sinai where it belongs but guess what, Sisi won the pole by over a 60% margin! That is because he's simply a genius despite the haters. What he has accomplished (not just militarily) but in Egypt. His harsh imposement on tarrifs have paid off and slums are being reduced (can you imagine the difficulty in that feat?) and he brought nuclear energy to Egypt which will make Egypt electrically able to export electricity. The haters are MB and Turkey fans but they don't have a let to stand on.

Ok, my posts have been long so I'll try to keep it short. Israel and Egypt have a 100 year peace agreement of which 42 years have passed but because on the Palestinian issue, it's a cold peace but still, a lot of diplomacy involved to the point where we can actually fly our jets over the Israeli border after notifying them to exterminate the pests in norther Sinai.

So this rapid and incredible military build-up is not really a build-up. It's a modernization. All the fighters and naval ships are old (well, many of them) and all the navies around the world now have these super stealthy and ASW as well a All PURPOSE frigates while we have donated US knox class frigates with old tech and Oilver Hazard which aren't bad and will probably keep them since even the US is using them still.

The Rafales are replacing the older Mirage vs and even with 53, it's still short on the number of 80+ Vs that we have. But they will take A LOT of pressure off the F-16s that were doing the bulk of the work.

The MIG-35 is replacing both, the super old loving MiG-21MF and F-7 Airguard. 46 is not even nearly enough to cover the number of replacements so we actually need more! believe it or not.
Type 209 submarines is not nearly enough at 4 and neither are the Corvettes at 4. We still need a lot more to get to the goal which is at least equal to what we already had.

The Typhpoon, forget about any logistical nightmares bro. Easy aircraft to maintain and link into our new domestic linkage and my guess at first that they were going to add them to the Rafales because it seems like a deal would never get done until yesterday we were all ecstatic, especially with Naval Group announcing the 2 air refueler, spy satellite and early warning radar.

The only difference that is a new addition that you can call getting ready to use against an enemy can only be for one thing, and you know what that is BUT, with the Rafale's range being very close to the Su-35SE but carrying fuel tanks while the Su-35SE NEVER carries any fuel tanks (but is capable) has so much internal fuel storage to make it to the GERD, use quite a bit of standoff weapons that are DEADLY, the dam will certainly be destroyed and it almost looks like that is the strategy. The SCALPS, HAMMERS all at standoff distances while F-16s or MiG-35s perform EADS operations first to protect all aircraft and destroy a lot of infrastructure and command center is why the heavy Su-35S is partly requested. But we never operated a heavy potent fighter like that and tried when we requested 12 F-15s and we denied. Frankly, Sisi is great that he doesn't show if on his face or comments, but he is probably the biggest Egyptian who has had it with the US neutering and is moving on while at the same time, certainly not make enemies with the US.

I hope Ethiopia comes to its senses but is doesn't appear so and that will put us in a state of war with them for a while. Unlike what Israel did to Iraq, this is vital to the Ethiopian economy and to destroy it along with a lot of associated and political infrastructure will ruing that country and set it back into a humanitarian crisis. It needs to be averted at all costs.

Rapid ,modernization is all it is.

"Link 16 is a military tactical data link network used by NATO and nations allowed by the MIDS International Program Office (IPO). Its specification is part of the family of Tactical Data Links. With Link 16, military aircraft as well as ships and ground forces may exchange their tactical picture in near-real time."

It was not approved for Egypt yet as far as we know.. but with SISMOA who knows.. it might have been approved or on the verge of being..

But as you know Egypt is not waiting.. and for "just in case".. it has developed the RISC2..

I could've sworn that those two members whom were closely affiliated with the military (at least one of them provided info showing that the upgraded to Block 40 which is almost all of them were issues link 16 as part of the upgrade to be able to work with the US aircraft during all the Bright Star maneuvers and JTAS exercises lately all that needed iink 16 as well as communicating with the 8 E-2C AWACs most certainly needed link 16 data sharing for quick target acquisition etc. Besides, NATO is not just European. As a matter of fact, the US is the biggest member on that organization and lately NATO has incorporated working with the EGY military not as an official member of the organization, but as an partner role so if wouldn't be out of the ordinary to have it part of the EAF.

You see, the French had absolutely no qualms about providing it with the Rafales without a peep. The US is only shooting itself in the foot. So glad as well as almost all 95 million that they're moving out of the US' sphere of shackles!

I'd hate to comb through this 479 pages to look for those post but I'll do it when I have the time.

Never figured out what radar this is at Benha electronics factory from a video from June 2020. I guess we'll have to wait till EDEX in December IA.
Screenshot 2021-05-06 9.44.03 PM.png

I hope this R&D leads to concrete results, hopefully that air defense system they talked about is being worked on already. To be fair it should be pretty easy, especially SARH. Imagine if the UAE and Egypt collaborated how much could get done in this field.

Last edited:
I get it know, bro. Thanks for the correction on that wrong assumption on my part, HOWEVER....if the source on the SCALPs I posted is true and Egypt now possesses over 100 of them, that is most certainly a HUGE game changer even with just 24 Rafales. The range we know is 300km or under and so it is a major land attack cruise missile that France has used extensively along with coalition attacks with the US using Tomahawks and so they are potent and watching your video of the explosion, it's massive.

That said, it would seem they shouldn't have a problem allowing the MICA NG Naval Cruise Missile to be imported to Egypt despite it being an offensive weapon and a potent one for land attack munitions which is another item strongly opposed to supply to Egypt. That really was the reason the US pulled that block stunt on the SCALPs and not really because of US parts. I think that was just an excuse because they just don't want Egypt to have such potent OFFENSIVE capabilities and only encourage defensive ones.

But good for the French for making good on their promise and contract and fix the situation rather quickly/ So if that article is true and there are more than 100 aviation SCALPs in Egypt, do you really think they will approve the sale of the naval MICA NG cruise missile to Egypt on top of all the SCALPs? It will be interesting to see, I'm just a pessimist when it comes to strong, offensive weapons to be sold to Egypt and the resistance from powerful entities that usually easily squash the deal. Hopefully France holds its head high and says "if we contracted the naval MICA NG to Egypt, then we will export it to them so matter what.) I see that, then I'll reverse my slight negative stand and do nothing but praise the French. :-)

I am astonished and very suprised and wondering as well to why such what seems to be a very low price tag for this order of 30 aircraft. Especially with a jet that costs 160 euros per aircraft. Unless the french cut lots of corners to try and bring the price down.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom