What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

If they spent the entire 200 million on just the Meteor missiles, that would get them somewhere around 85 missiles.
I think the Meteor is way more expensive.
India purchased 493 MICA Missiles for $1.3Billion in 2012!
So approx $2.6Million per round, although the composition of the RF and IR version is classified.
MBDA’s success builds on a 2012 order for 493 Mica missiles to replace life-expired Matra S-530D and Magic-II missiles as part of an Indian air force Mirage 2000 upgrade. Worth almost €1 billion ($1.3 billion), the weapons will be delivered between 2015 and 2019.
MBDA signs Indian ASRAAM contract

UAE-French development called SmartGlider which will be useful for Egyptian Rafales when development is finished in a few years.

1620531241864.png

100km+ range when launched high altitude
80kg warhead and 120 kg total weight
Rafale can carry 18 of them

I think the Meteor is way more expensive.
India purchased 493 MICA Missiles for $1.3Billion in 2012!
So approx $2.6Million per round, although the composition of the RF and IR version is classified.

MBDA signs Indian ASRAAM contract

My goodness that's a lot of MICAs. We know how the French like to get top dollar (0r I should say Euro in this case) and we don't know how many MICA IR & EM Egypt got. So frustrating we don't get details like you. Our military is so hush-hush about that stuff.

You could be right, just every source I've seen including Wiki show the cost per Meteor at $2.3 million. Probably why Saudi only bought a batch of 20 to see how the integration on their Typhoon goes and what that cost is and test it before committing to a larger batch. Plus I think France is sweetening the deals with Egypt for some reason. It's luring us into something unknow, LoG! :D

Last edited:
Sudan yes. and that source you posted mentions mostly African countries and a small reference to Egypt having flown Chinese built jets and are familiar with them, but is Egypt planning a batch to replace the 60 or so F-7s? That's the bigger interest naturally. The F-7s which they had a good amount of them flew air guard patrol out of Hurghada and were in charge of the entire Red Sea shoreline, Gulf of Suez and a portion of southern Sinai. They flew a lot of patrolling and they've since retired them for what we think were the new MiGs. But those were supposed to replace the huge batch of MiG-21s. So this might be a strong possibility.
Yes a possibility indeed.. Although Egypt might most likely go for the JF-17 BLK III.. mainly for production right , ToT and half the price..Same weapons too and an AESA radar..

======================================================================

May 7, 2021
Egypt, France, and Rafale deal

egyptian_dassault_rafale_fighter_jets.jpg

Egypt and France have signed a contract for the procurement of 30 more Rafale fighter jets from
Dassault Aviation in favor of the Egyptian Air Force (EAF) (*).

Reports from Cairo suggest that the Rafale deal went through multiple stages of negotiations,
and that the Egyptian side insisted on the delivery of MBDA’s Meteor beyond-visual-range air-to-
air missiles (BVRAAM) with the Rafale fighters (**).

The United States and Israel had objected to the delivery of Meteor missiles to the EAF, to
preserve Israel’s qualitative military edge (QME).

The US side was actually more concerned with Egypt’s intended use for these missiles. In fact,
the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) played an important role in delaying the Rafale
deal, as it was convinced that Egypt will be up to “no good” after receiving such missiles.

Nevertheless, the deal went through, and the 30 Rafale fighters will be delivered with Meteor
missiles.

Egypt received a discount on the 30 Rafales, which was crucial in persuading the Egyptian
government to acquire more of these fighters.

France has also agreed to refurbish, maintain and upgrade the EAF’s Rafale fleet.
The 24 old Rafale fighters will receive software upgrades as well as further enhancements to ward
off electronic warfare (EW).

Egypt also signed a memorandum of cooperation (MoC) with Dassault Aviation that includes the
establishment of a maintenance and training unit in Egypt, which will be in charge of training EAF
engineers on maintaining and repairing Rafale fighters.

The unit will also help integrate the Rafale fighter command software into the Egyptian air
command. Egypt is planning on integrating various fighter systems in one unified command
software, since the EAF possesses various types of fighter jets with different and incompatible
internal softwares.

Egypt is rumored to be developing its own integration software for its various fighters. This
software will be unveiled during the opening of the Octagon, the new headquarters of Egypt’s
Ministry of Defense.

https://www.tacticalreport.com/egypt-france-and-rafale-deal/

Last edited:
It sounds like the French are willing to sell whatever Egypt wants regardless of US of Israeli objections which is the way it should be and always should've been.

If they spent the entire 200 million on just the Meteor missiles, that would get them somewhere around 85 missiles. If they already have over 100 SCALPs, they don't need more in this order and it depends if part of this deal actually goes towards the MICA NG when it's ready which I would think would be soon if they're dealing for it now. I believe that was according to @Constantin84 's article on the other thread.

The deal was for 18 single seat Rafales and 12 2-seaters. If they just buy the Meteors with that allowance, and typically one aircraft carries 2 Meteors and 2 MICA IR and 2 ERs, then they should have enough for the entire fleet for a little while.

I'm just a little curious if there is any truth to the Defense Arab twitter news that both Sudan and Egypt are purchasing the J-10C. Maybe these are what would replace all the F-7s that were put away since they were Chinese-built aircraft.

الدفاع العربي Defense Arab on Twitter: "• السودان 🇸🇩 ومصر 🇪🇬 ستكونان مستخدمين محتملين للطائرة المقاتلة الصينية 🇨🇳 من طراز J-10 • المقاتلة تصنف من الجيل 4 • المقاتلة جيان J-10 وخاصة النسخة C تعد نسخة جديدة مطورة ومحدثة بشكل كبير عن سابقتها وستكون اضافة جيدة للدولتين حيث انها تمتلك تسليح متنوع ومتعدد https://t.co/SFHLpUZuxz" / Twitter
View attachment 741876

lol, if they do get the Typhoons in the Italian deal and there is truth to this possibility, just think of how people are going to react to all the different platforms that would end up in the EAF lol! But hey, half of them would be delta/canard types so there's some consistency! lmao
I'm against that Chinese fighter we don't need that

Not sure this one has been posted before. You can really tell from this view that what they said about the new radome is true. It seems a bit more "bulbous" and a bit larger to allow the IRBIS-E more and better perfprmance.

View attachment 740875

There is no evidence these are destined for Egyptian air force. Russian air force signed a contract for another 30 Su-35S a few years ago. These could be part of the second batch destined for Russian air force.

There is no evidence these are destined for Egyptian air force. Russian air force signed a contract for another 30 Su-35S a few years ago. These could be part of the second batch destined for Russian air force.

Your quoted my post with that front shot of an EAF Su-35S being tested but I'm assuming you meant to post the pic of the electronic screen that was actually posted by Sukhoi reps after the news of them coming to the Middle East. The rep during that presentation said these are current orders being produced for a Middle Eastern country. Who the heck hells would be ordering 28 or 29 or 30 Su35S and be so hush hush about who they are? I think Algeria went for the Su-30MKA upgrade package. We are the only ones in the ME purchasing those. The VVS numbers are under a different column. No one does that like Egypt and lack of assumed bragging not withstanding, the EAF is the BEST at hush-hushing during orders with Russia who is very compliant.

We don't like it, believe me. We prefer much more transparency since we want exact details. But it's obvious why they are doing this because they don't want to rub it in the US' face. They're tying to be as discreet about this order as possible. It's about as obvious as can be that those are the Egyptian ones. Not only that, the 22 in the first number are reported to be already delivered to Egypt.

I'm against that Chinese fighter we don't need that

But which aircraft is going to replace the 80 +/- F-7 Airguards and their critical patrolling duties of the Red Sea and Gulf of Suez and even the straight of Tiran? There are not enough MiG-35s or Su-35SE or Rafales even with this order? Perhaps they will shift a pair of F-16 squadrons to Hurghada? That might be the best solution to avoid this possibility. As much as I would like to see it, I think shifting 30 or so F-16s to carry those duties would be better from a feasibility and cost point, especially if the Typhoons end up replacing the Mirage 2000s.

But which aircraft is going to replace the 80 +/- F-7 Airguards and their critical patrolling duties of the Red Sea and Gulf of Suez and even the straight of Tiran? There are not enough MiG-35s or Su-35SE or Rafales even with this order? Perhaps they will shift a pair of F-16 squadrons to Hurghada? That might be the best solution to avoid this possibility. As much as I would like to see it, I think shifting 30 or so F-16s to carry those duties would be better from a feasibility and cost point, especially if the Typhoons end up replacing the Mirage 2000s.
It's a political decision between blocks of power but gripen is 30 million and j 10 is more than 40 million
Sadly Sweden do not sell that

It's a political decision between blocks of power but gripen is 30 million and j 10 is more than 40 million
Sadly Sweden do not sell that

Yeah they don't like Sisi because they are a super liberal government that only deal with countries it feels are full democracies and don't consider Egypt one which is fine, we have PLENTY of other options. At this rate, the F-7s (besides being very old and dangerous) performed their role very well. So the J-10C might actually be a good replacement if it can be integrated into the new, indigenous data sharing system. If not, the MiG-35 is also an excellent option for that role and would be only increasing current numbers. MiG is desperately looking for customers and with all the Russian purchases we've already made, another batch of 50 would probably be a better option than the J-10C or shifting F-16s, plus I bet they would give the EAF a good deal. Plus operational costs would be better as well.

1- These Su-35s have flag marks on their vertical stabilizers, the Russian don’t apply that but rather the Red Star Insignia.
2- Egypt is the only country that applies 9XXX serials and these Su-35s have a series of them.

1- These Su-35s have flag marks on their vertical stabilizers, the Russian don’t apply that but rather the Red Star Insignia.
2- Egypt is the only country that applies 9XXX serials and these Su-35s have a series of them.

Plus the camo is distinctly that of the EAF ones we've seen quite often already with the EGY flag painted over for now like they often do like you mentioned.

But I think he was referring to my post of the factory displayed screen during a press conference with the numbers being built and for whom.

Your quoted my post with that front shot of an EAF Su-35S being tested but I'm assuming you meant to post the pic of the electronic screen that was actually posted by Sukhoi reps after the news of them coming to the Middle East. The rep during that presentation said these are current orders being produced for a Middle Eastern country. Who the heck hells would be ordering 28 or 29 or 30 Su35S and be so hush hush about who they are? I think Algeria went for the Su-30MKA upgrade package. We are the only ones in the ME purchasing those. The VVS numbers are under a different column. No one does that like Egypt and lack of assumed bragging not withstanding, the EAF is the BEST at hush-hushing during orders with Russia who is very compliant.

We don't like it, believe me. We prefer much more transparency since we want exact details. But it's obvious why they are doing this because they don't want to rub it in the US' face. They're tying to be as discreet about this order as possible. It's about as obvious as can be that those are the Egyptian ones. Not only that, the 22 in the first number are reported to be already delivered to Egypt.
Italian company Leonardo signs a new sales contract for the M346 to an unknown customer

The Italian Aviation and Defense Group, which revealed its performance in the first quarter on May 6, announced that new orders in the aircraft division have improved compared to the same period in 2020 “thanks to the conclusion of a major contract for the export of M-346 aircraft.”

شركة ليوناردو الإيطالية تُوقع عقد بيع جديد لطائرة M346 لزبون مجهول

https://www.defense-arabic.com/2021/05/07/شركة-ليوناردو-الإيطالية-تُوقع-عقد-بيع/

An unknown customer and a major contract!?

UAE-French development called SmartGlider which will be useful for Egyptian Rafales when development is finished in a few years.

View attachment 741975

100km+ range when launched high altitude
80kg warhead and 120 kg total weight
Rafale can carry 18 of them

This isnt the same smart glider weapon that coming with Egypt's rafale. The one that was ordered with Egypts rafale is one that is fully manufactured by MBDA and jointly with the UAE.

This isnt the same smart glider weapon that coming with Egypt's rafale. The one that was ordered with Egypts rafale is one that is fully manufactured by MBDA and jointly with the UAE.
They dont have a system like this in service yet on Rafales, it will take 3 or 4 years to initial production probably.

Most likely Egypt will buy it though, it will provide a medium range swarm asset to EAF.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom