What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

Al Sisi seeks to localize heavy industries in Egypt

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi said that Egypt possesses all the ingredients to localize industry and transfer advanced technology with the largest possible percentage of local components.

The Egyptian President, during his meeting with the CEO of the global Korean company "Hyundai Rotem", Yong Bai Lee, stressed the role of Korea as an active development partner in Egypt, and that the country is looking forward to establishing strategic cooperation with the Korean company in many industrial fields.

He also explained that Egypt is willing to cooperate in the field of heavy industries, which depend on labor intensity and advanced technology, stressing that the principle of localizing industry and transferring technology to Egypt is one of the country's priorities in cooperation with global partners.

https://www.defense-arabic.com/2021/04/28/السيسي-يسعى-لتوطين-الصناعات-الثقيلة-ف/

Hyundai Rotem
Defense products

• K1A1 Main Battle Tank
  • K2 Black Panther Main Battle Tank
  • K1 Armoured Recovery Vehicle
  • Decon Machinery
  • 60-Ton Heavy Equipment Transporter (HET)
  • K1 Tank Gunnery Trainer
  • Depot Maintenance
  • Integrated Logistics System

Plant and Machinery

• Mechanical Press, Hydraulic Press, Auto Racking System
  • Electric Arc Furnace – Steel
  • Ladle Furnace
  • Cranes
  • Passenger Boarding Bridges
  • Plant construction

Hyundai Rotem has many civilian heavy industries as well..

Last edited:
The French company Naval Group is negotiating with the Egyptian Navy to sell mine detection vessels..
on top of the submarines ongoing negotiations..

شركة Naval Group الفرنسية تتفاوض مع البحرية المصرية لبيعها سفن مكافحة الألغام

Africa intelligence site yesterday

Al Sisi seeks to localize heavy industries in Egypt

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi said that Egypt possesses all the ingredients to localize industry and transfer advanced technology with the largest possible percentage of local components.

The Egyptian President, during his meeting with the CEO of the global Korean company "Hyundai Rotem", Yong Bai Lee, stressed the role of Korea as an active development partner in Egypt, and that the country is looking forward to establishing strategic cooperation with the Korean company in many industrial fields.

He also explained that Egypt is willing to cooperate in the field of heavy industries, which depend on labor intensity and advanced technology, stressing that the principle of localizing industry and transferring technology to Egypt is one of the country's priorities in cooperation with global partners.

https://www.defense-arabic.com/2021/04/28/السيسي-يسعى-لتوطين-الصناعات-الثقيلة-ف/

Hyundai Rotem
Defense products

• K1A1 Main Battle Tank
  • K2 Black Panther Main Battle Tank
  • K1 Armoured Recovery Vehicle
  • Decon Machinery
  • 60-Ton Heavy Equipment Transporter (HET)
  • K1 Tank Gunnery Trainer
  • Depot Maintenance
  • Integrated Logistics System

Plant and Machinery

• Mechanical Press, Hydraulic Press, Auto Racking System
  • Electric Arc Furnace – Steel
  • Ladle Furnace
  • Cranes
  • Passenger Boarding Bridges
  • Plant construction

Hyundai Rotem has many civilian heavy industries as well..

This is great move by Sisi and personally not a big fan of Sisi policies but as far as Egypt goes he has done so much good compared to the others his good for Egypt internal were as Mubarak was useless

The French company Naval Group is negotiating with the Egyptian Navy to sell mine detection vessels..

Do you think this is what the French do to Egypt knowing that Egypt is on some phenomenal military spending spree that in order to get the Rafales, maybe even the meteors, they have to spend more on other things so that the French companies have this unwritten rule that one supports the other.

If you remember the original deal came with planes and ships and things like this? Otherwise, why hasn't the option for 12 more Rafales been approved regardless if Egypt wants more than those twelve. They can show good faith and that option is not and should not be part of any additional deals but they haven't agreed or offered just the option at all, even. This is why they frustrate me.

I think the EN has a lot of anti mine detection mechanism why add even more of these vessels and pay those exorbitant French prices.

To me this hints at Yemen, the Houthis have been littering the Red Sea with mines and I believe Egypt considers countering them by itself. Someone update us on the status of the Saudi Navy off the coasts of Yemen (if any). I do recall ships getting damaged by these mines and this certainly affects the Suez Canal.

Do you think this is what the French do to Egypt knowing that Egypt is on some phenomenal military spending spree that in order to get the Rafales, maybe even the meteors, they have to spend more on other things so that the French companies have this unwritten rule that one supports the other.

If you remember the original deal came with planes and ships and things like this? Otherwise, why hasn't the option for 12 more Rafales been approved regardless if Egypt wants more than those twelve. They can show good faith and that option is not and should not be part of any additional deals but they haven't agreed or offered just the option at all, even. This is why they frustrate me.

I think the EN has a lot of anti mine detection mechanism why add even more of these vessels and pay those exorbitant French prices.
Seems many old ships need to be replaced.. as for the Rafale deal.. there is the others demands.Like India an Qatar and now Greece..vs the production capacity.. as well as news about Egypt wanting more Scalp ..

To me this hints at Yemen, the Houthis have been littering the Red Sea with mines and I believe Egypt considers countering them by itself. Someone update us on the status of the Saudi Navy off the coasts of Yemen (if any). I do recall ships getting damaged by these mines and this certainly affects the Suez Canal.

Yeah bro @The SC posted a great thread on how Saudi captured and seized and booby trapped remote controlled boat in the red sea about 350km from Bernice in Egypt. And you saw their F-15 video of shooting down one of those filthy houti drones? That was a work of art. Their AF is becoming very powerful and obviously their pilots are getting quite proficient and their training is paying off.

Seems many old ships need to be replaced.. as for the Rafale deal.. there is the others demands.Like India an Qatar and now Greece..vs the production capacity.. as well as news about Egypt wanting more Scalp ..

I'm in most agreement with you, and we love our Greek brothers and sisters of course and would help them if they needed it anytime. But my problem is Egypt literally opened the door for Rafale sales after 20 years in the market with no one interested except India and even they couldn't finalize a deal because they probably realized -- among other things -- that the French were trying to get waaaay too much money for them. I don't blame India one bit. Don't get robbed and that is what we're dealing with.

Our Hellenic brothers and sisters will get their Rafales in due time but again, Egypt is Rafale Pharaoh and if the French has any good intentions, they would've said "ok, your picking up the option good on you we'll get those out to you immediately since you are our BEST customer to date and because of you, lonely Qatar bout 36 and the India made it work for 36 total" but I don't see the French doing anything of that sort.

An option means it's a contract, not a dilly dally affair. When you offer an option, you BETTER be able to produce it and produce it in time not play silly games. They should've NEVER taken on the Greek contract until they satisfied the Egyptian option for 12 (unless Sisi or the Generals told them to go ahead and deal with the Greeks first because of the precarious situation with the neighbors. That would be the only reason I would give them a break on not supplying the 12 immediately and we don't know what they said in the negotiations so I don't trust the French and Florence Parly or whatever her name is after spending what on all the jets and ships, $12.6 billion and they want to play games? I have 2 letters to tell them and you know what they are,

I say screw them and start getting really serious with the absolute gem of a fighter in the EF typhoon. Then see them quiver and before signing the final document, the only way we would break away and practically ruin our relationship with Italy is if the Rafales are not a single penny over $50 mill a piece. there are A LOT of options out ther'e not sure who the crap they think they are.

1) 24 Rafales and associated MICAs and HAMMERS and 50 SCALPs where the F are the Meteors? Israeli pressure lol and THAT IS ANOTHER REASON to go with the EUROFIGHTER and the Italians will guarantee 100 meteors and even help integrate them on the Rafales. 40 EFT just to start with and give the French ze middle finger.
2) 2 Mistrals LHDs/helicopter carriers we took off their hands to help Russia AND France not be stuck with them and they don't even provide any self defense equipment with them. What a slap in the face who do these people think they are?!?!?
3) 4 Gowinds and OMG they actually allowed us to build 3 of them in Alexandria but don't show up for the unveiling of the 4rth one? What the heck is up with that?
4) A single FREMM (a single one!!!!!!!! What the heII is one going to do when it's harbored due to mechanical problems? That is such a well known rule that you ALWAYS need 2 or more of every item, not one!? I would have told them where to put that FREMM to be honest with you. I negotiate contracts all the time, nothing at this level but the method only requires a difference in diplomatic tactics and of course the huge amounts of money involved. Otherwise you HAVE TO be tough or they'll walk all over you just like their doing now and like the US kinda did for 40+ years.
5) What else did they trick us into paying wit our daughters and herds of camels for? Oh yeah, they promised the option for twelve more Rafales under the previous agreement and now they reneged on it and you know what, that is simply bad bad bad business and then they have the gal to go out and sell to new customers.

GERMANY, please let's make a deal for 40 Typhoons and promise to provide 500 meteor with them and no GBU kits or JDAM or ANY American stuff although we can probably get around that and offer us your 65 degree boresight missile and please, include a HMDS that is as far away from anything remotely Israeli and we will do much more business with you. Offer a better submarine than the Scorpene and we'll tell the Francais merci but no thanks until you deliver the 12 Rafales under OUR option at the already decided price and within this year!! Then we'll talk but by then if the Typhoon are in Egypt and you're upset and throwing a temper tantrum, we'll see you in international court regarding the 12 Rafalep options. Give us a hard time with request for future armament and the whole world will know how you do business.

How could you go wrong here? The Rafale pilots could probably fly both but we have plenty youngsters coming out of the academy that will become experts if they stick to one kind and we've already proven interoperability with Rafale is a sinche.

1619732559011.png

1619732697356.png

1619732769329.png

1619732800406.png

1619732863349.png

I mean come on, guys! With the CAPTPOR-E AESA radar they will compliment the Rafales really well.

According to the Twitter account of Mahmoud Gamal on April 30, 2021, the Egyptian Navy's first Meko A200EN frigate will be launched into the water next week, while the second & third frigates will be inaugurated before the end of this year.

According to the Twitter account of Mahmoud Gamal on April 30, 2021, the Egyptian Navy's first Meko A200EN frigate will be launched into the water next week, while the second & third frigates will be inaugurated before the end of this year.

Yep, that is very true. Oh and BTW, Ronin, I hope we get Typhoons before you get yours! :D Just kidding I can't wait to see Bangladesh sign a contract because on another forum, a fellow just posted a congratulation to Egyptians for the mega Italian deal worth between 9 and 11 billion Euros that includes the 24 Typhoons Tranch 4! Which means the CAPTOR-E radar and Meteor missiles integration already set up. He posted this link, though and I skimmed through it and didn't see that there was anything close to signing the deal (except for the title which is a bit iffy) and would include :

- 24 Eurofighter Typhoon fighter aircraft Tranche 4 (Very likely to include Meteor BVRAAM)
- Additional 4 FREMM frigates (excluding the 2 already arrived)
-20 offshore patrol vessels (Falaj II)
- 24 M-346 jet training aircraft and 1 Military Satellite

The Italian parliament has already approved the deal but not sure Egypt has and I think the Typhoons are the sticking point because they already have the Rafale and it seems they love the ever loving love out of it! lol. To me, I say screw any more Rafale deals and just go Typhoon all the way till the end line.

Italy, Egypt To Sign Mega Arms Deal Includes 24 Eurofighters, 24 M346 Trainers and 6 Frigates – Global Defense Corp

Italy, Egypt To Sign Mega Arms Deal Includes 24 Eurofighters, 24 M346 Trainers and 6 Frigates

1619823347497.png

According to the Italian newspaper La Republica, the Italian government is set up to soon approve the MEGA defense deal with Egypt that includes 6 Frigates including 2x confirmed FREMM Bergamini, 24 M-346 trainer jets, 24 Eurofighter Typhoon jets, 20 Falaj II OPV and 1 Military Satellite.

According to Italian reports, Italy is currently discussing with Egypt one of the largest arms sales for Rome since World War II. The potential arms sales to Egypt would be worth between 9 billion to 11 billion euros.

The reported deal would include the delivery to Egypt of an additional four FREMM frigates, 20 offshore patrol vessels, 24 Eurofighter Typhoon fighter aircraft, 20 M-346 jet training aircraft and an observation satellite.

Beretta added, “We have repeatedly said that the matter regarding the two FREMM frigates and the entire issue of arms and military systems for Egypt should be discussed in parliament where the government should report about the military, security and economic features concerning the deal.”
1619823448480.png

Eurofighter Tranche 4

Italy has become a major trade partner for Egypt, while its arms industry has grown to become one of Egypt’s main suppliers, as such sales have increased from 7.4 million to more than 871 million euros from 2016 to 2019, according to annual parliamentary reports.

A former Egyptian diplomat told Al-Monitor on condition of anonymity that Egypt’s relations with Italy are strategic and that the arms deals point to improved relations.

The diplomat praised the Egyptian policy of diversifying its sources of armaments, and said Italy is an important partner of Egypt in the energy-rich eastern Mediterranean region.

Egypt relies on the Italian government-owned ENI, which is the largest gas and oil producer in Egypt, to produce nearly half of Egypt’s petroleum wealth

Despite domestic pressure, Italy sees the military deal with Egypt serving as a guarantee to build strong relations with Cairo so as to preserve an active role in the eastern Mediterranean, a significant hotbed in the region.

Italy is a co-founder of the Eastern Mediterranean Gas Forum, established in January 2019 by Egypt, Cyprus, Greece, Israel, Jordan and the Palestinian Authority, with the purpose of promoting natural gas exports among its member states.

On the other hand, Italy is keen to not lose one of the world’s top arms importers. The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute’s March 15 report said Egypt was the third-largest arms importer for 2016-2020. During that period, Egypt’s arms imports grew by 136% compared with 2011-2015, with Russia as the top exporter to the country, followed by France, Germany, the UK and the United States.

Read More Assessing Light Combat Aircraft Options for Malaysia
He stressed that Egypt enjoys strong military relations not only with Italy but also with France, Germany, the UK, the United States, Russia and China. Since the 1973 Arab-Israeli War, the Egyptian military has been seeking to diversify weapons sources instead of relying on one source — a trend that has been more accentuated under Sisi — in a bid to increase military capabilities to face the regional challenges and preserve national security, he said. “The countries of the world are also keen to strengthen their relations with Cairo.”

Brig. Gen. Khaled Okasha, member of the National Council for Combating Terrorism, seems to concur with Mazloum, as he said that Egypt enjoys military relations with major countries in the world and has a well-studied and clear scientific plan to modernize and develop its various weapons in the army, such as the navy and air defense, to maintain its national security.

“Egypt’s keenness on diversifying its sources of armament contributes in strengthening its army by bringing in arms from different branches of armed forces from various countries,” reported Al-Monitor newspaper.

“Egypt has strong military ties with many countries in the world including France, the United States, England, Russia and not just with Italy. Therefore, the dispute over the Regeni case is something secondary and did not affect in any way the strong economic military relations between Rome and Cairo,” he added.
Okasha explained that Egypt’s great position and its pivotal role in the region put it at risk of great challenges, and therefore it is essential for Cairo to increase its military capabilities to preserve its national security. “In this context, several major countries, including Italy, deal with Cairo, as they are well aware of its great role and share common interests. Egypt maintains stronger ties with France, Germany, the United States and Russia, and does not count on one country only for armament,” he concluded.

@The SC & @Philip the Arab @ARCH٤R and others I apologize for not mentioning, how do you feel about just the Typhoon in the latest Tranch 4?

Last edited:
Yep, that is very true. Oh and BTW, Ronin, I hope we get Typhoons before you get yours! :D Just kidding I can't wait to see Bangladesh sign a contract because on another forum, a fellow just posted a congratulation to Egyptians for the mega Italian deal worth between 9 and 11 billion Euros that includes the 24 Typhoons Tranch 4! Which means the CAPTOR-E radar and Meteor missiles integration already set up. He posted this link, though and I skimmed through it and didn't see that there was anything close to signing the deal (except for the title which is a bit iffy) and would include :

- 24 Eurofighter Typhoon fighter aircraft Tranche 4 (Very likely to include Meteor BVRAAM)
- Additional 4 FREMM frigates (excluding the 2 already arrived)
-20 offshore patrol vessels (Falaj II)
- 24 M-346 jet training aircraft and 1 Military Satellite

The Italian parliament has already approved the deal but not sure Egypt has and I think the Typhoons are the sticking point because they already have the Rafale and it seems they love the ever loving love out of it! lol. To me, I say screw any more Rafale deals and just go Typhoon all the way till the end line.

Italy, Egypt To Sign Mega Arms Deal Includes 24 Eurofighters, 24 M346 Trainers and 6 Frigates – Global Defense Corp

Italy, Egypt To Sign Mega Arms Deal Includes 24 Eurofighters, 24 M346 Trainers and 6 Frigates

View attachment 739022

According to the Italian newspaper La Republica, the Italian government is set up to soon approve the MEGA defense deal with Egypt that includes 6 Frigates including 2x confirmed FREMM Bergamini, 24 M-346 trainer jets, 24 Eurofighter Typhoon jets, 20 Falaj II OPV and 1 Military Satellite.

According to Italian reports, Italy is currently discussing with Egypt one of the largest arms sales for Rome since World War II. The potential arms sales to Egypt would be worth between 9 billion to 11 billion euros.

The reported deal would include the delivery to Egypt of an additional four FREMM frigates, 20 offshore patrol vessels, 24 Eurofighter Typhoon fighter aircraft, 20 M-346 jet training aircraft and an observation satellite.

View attachment 739024
Eurofighter Tranche 4

Italy has become a major trade partner for Egypt, while its arms industry has grown to become one of Egypt’s main suppliers, as such sales have increased from 7.4 million to more than 871 million euros from 2016 to 2019, according to annual parliamentary reports.

A former Egyptian diplomat told Al-Monitor on condition of anonymity that Egypt’s relations with Italy are strategic and that the arms deals point to improved relations.

The diplomat praised the Egyptian policy of diversifying its sources of armaments, and said Italy is an important partner of Egypt in the energy-rich eastern Mediterranean region.

Egypt relies on the Italian government-owned ENI, which is the largest gas and oil producer in Egypt, to produce nearly half of Egypt’s petroleum wealth

Despite domestic pressure, Italy sees the military deal with Egypt serving as a guarantee to build strong relations with Cairo so as to preserve an active role in the eastern Mediterranean, a significant hotbed in the region.

Italy is a co-founder of the Eastern Mediterranean Gas Forum, established in January 2019 by Egypt, Cyprus, Greece, Israel, Jordan and the Palestinian Authority, with the purpose of promoting natural gas exports among its member states.

On the other hand, Italy is keen to not lose one of the world’s top arms importers. The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute’s March 15 report said Egypt was the third-largest arms importer for 2016-2020. During that period, Egypt’s arms imports grew by 136% compared with 2011-2015, with Russia as the top exporter to the country, followed by France, Germany, the UK and the United States.

Read More Assessing Light Combat Aircraft Options for Malaysia
He stressed that Egypt enjoys strong military relations not only with Italy but also with France, Germany, the UK, the United States, Russia and China. Since the 1973 Arab-Israeli War, the Egyptian military has been seeking to diversify weapons sources instead of relying on one source — a trend that has been more accentuated under Sisi — in a bid to increase military capabilities to face the regional challenges and preserve national security, he said. “The countries of the world are also keen to strengthen their relations with Cairo.”

Brig. Gen. Khaled Okasha, member of the National Council for Combating Terrorism, seems to concur with Mazloum, as he said that Egypt enjoys military relations with major countries in the world and has a well-studied and clear scientific plan to modernize and develop its various weapons in the army, such as the navy and air defense, to maintain its national security.

“Egypt’s keenness on diversifying its sources of armament contributes in strengthening its army by bringing in arms from different branches of armed forces from various countries,” reported Al-Monitor newspaper.

Okasha explained that Egypt’s great position and its pivotal role in the region put it at risk of great challenges, and therefore it is essential for Cairo to increase its military capabilities to preserve its national security. “In this context, several major countries, including Italy, deal with Cairo, as they are well aware of its great role and share common interests. Egypt maintains stronger ties with France, Germany, the United States and Russia, and does not count on one country only for armament,” he concluded.

@The SC & @Philip the Arab @ARCH٤R and others I apologize for not mentioning, how do you feel about just the Typhoon in the latest Tranch 4?
This is exactly the deal we had a thread on.. hope it is till the same going on..

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/italy-to-soon-approve-the-mega-defence-deal-with-egypt.669032/

Last edited:
صورة عن قرب لإحدى مقاتلات سو-35 التابعة للقوات الجوية المصرية في روسيا

Since Egypt very rarely shows its stratregic weapons as the S-300V4 .. It is tempting to believe as was reported by the Russian livejournal that has confirmed the Egyptian Air Force has actually received 22 Sukhoi Su-35 4 ++ generation fighter jets in 2020..

صورة عن قرب لإحدى مقاتلات سو-35 التابعة للقوات الجوية المصرية في روسيا

Since Egypt very rarely shows its stratregic weapons as the S-300V4 .. It is tempting to believe as was reported by the Russian livejournal that has confirmed the Egyptian Air Force has actually received 22 Sukhoi Su-35 4 ++ generation fighter jets in 2020..

I wouldn't doubt it. We're bound to see them in some pics or some videos at some point I would think. Interesting the dynamics between the MiG-29M/35 and how those were obviously not an issue. This fighter jet, though, and its capabilities and of course the threats of sanctions are a whole other story. I think the first sighting will probably be a satellite image of a few of them parked at one of the bases.

I think the first sighting will probably be a satellite image of a few of them parked at one of the bases.
Indeed, I check Berenice once every now and then via Sentinel Hub. The naval port south of the airfield is active but the aprons are all clear. I’m guessing that the Su-35s would end up there as it’s the source of operations over the Red Sea, Yemen and would probably be the launch base for airstrikes in Ethiopia if it was to happen or be attempted.

Indeed, I check Berenice once every now and then via Sentinel Hub. The naval port south of the airfield is active but the aprons are all clear. I’m guessing that the Su-35s would end up there as it’s the source of operations over the Red Sea, Yemen and would probably be the launch base for airstrikes in Ethiopia if it was to happen or be attempted.

Totally agree. They haven't even shown any of the bunkers or hangers they'll be putting all of these 24 or according to the Russian info, 30 were ordered by Egypt. These bunkers/hangers will be much larger than the others to accommodate that wingspan on that large aircraft. So maybe with all the construction going on, they're building or have already built these larger hangers to fit a rater large amount of aircraft and hide them from satellite imagery. I guess look for abnormally large hangers lol.

Totally agree. They haven't even shown any of the bunkers or hangers they'll be putting all of these 24 or according to the Russian info, 30 were ordered by Egypt. These bunkers/hangers will be much larger than the others to accommodate that wingspan on that large aircraft. So maybe with all the construction going on, they're building or have already built these larger hangers to fit a rater large amount of aircraft and hide them from satellite imagery. I guess look for abnormally large hangers lol.
If Egypt received Su-35s it would be known to other governments. And would be known to many people in the circles of the Navy and the Air Force hence revealed to public too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom