What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

MiG-35 in Desert camo with 4 R-77-1s, 2-R-73 and a pair of Kh-31s. First time seeing it with a full weapons load with 4 loaded pylons per wing.

EdvEvFqWkAIRnm8
Bro ,It's not Egyptian , photo is photoshopped

5c00327b8eb7e800bf0c24d3

Bro ,It's not Egyptian , photo is photoshopped

lol, glad it didn't take long because that was about as obvious as can be! :lol: I did the same thing a couple hundred pages ago and it took a bit longer for someone to figure it out. I even tried distracting with the weapons this time.

There are other ways to figure it out, too. That was the original MiG-35 actually,before they changed the shape and it didn't have the larger wigs but especially the larger barn-door flaps and a few other improvements they ended up making. If you look a bit more, you can see other things they changed.

Hey @The SC , @ARCH٤R , @Abdelrahman @Mohammed23188 , @Lord Of Gondor , @Nilgiri and any others following this discussion, here's is probably the best source to confirm that Egypt has indeed received the best BVR missile available out there in the Meteor. This is an article from LaTribune which obviously is tied in with all the French military products and exports etc. and from an article published last April 2019 says the following.

Regarding the additional order for twelve Rafale, the file is moving forward. France recently ironed out a major obstacle. According to our information, the United States has lifted the blockade, which it imposed via ITAR regulations, on France on the export to Egypt of the Meteor air-to-air missile, which the army of the United States greatly likes. Egyptian air. This is very good news for MBDA, already facing the blockage of the Scalp cruise missile in Egypt. Because Cairo wishes to equip its entire Rafale fleet, including the twelve additional ones, with Meteor. However, we would still be far from a signature, believes a good observer of the land of the Pharaohs.

https://www.latribune.fr/entreprise...passe-entre-la-france-et-l-egypte-815119.html

So this is the 2nd source so far that states the Meteor is pretty much in Egypt's hands as well as the SCALPs, so there shouldn't be any more issues with those two items, but especially the Meteor missile. Good news. Finally Egypt has the best BVR missile available to date. This might be worth opening a new thread so everyone sees it and we put an end to Egypt not having the best BVR missiles out there.

Lookout for the R-37M possible coming with the Su-35. If we see the export version of that crazy long range A2A missile, that will seal the door very nicely.

Hey @The SC , @ARCH٤R , @Abdelrahman @Mohammed23188 , @Lord Of Gondor , @Nilgiri and any others following this discussion, here's is probably the best source to confirm that Egypt has indeed received the best BVR missile available out there in the Meteor. This is an article from LaTribune which obviously is tied in with all the French military products and exports etc. and from an article published last April 2019 says the following.

Regarding the additional order for twelve Rafale, the file is moving forward. France recently ironed out a major obstacle. According to our information, the United States has lifted the blockade, which it imposed via ITAR regulations, on France on the export to Egypt of the Meteor air-to-air missile, which the army of the United States greatly likes. Egyptian air. This is very good news for MBDA, already facing the blockage of the Scalp cruise missile in Egypt. Because Cairo wishes to equip its entire Rafale fleet, including the twelve additional ones, with Meteor. However, we would still be far from a signature, believes a good observer of the land of the Pharaohs.

https://www.latribune.fr/entreprise...passe-entre-la-france-et-l-egypte-815119.html

So this is the 2nd source so far that states the Meteor is pretty much in Egypt's hands as well as the SCALPs, so there shouldn't be any more issues with those two items, but especially the Meteor missile. Good news. Finally Egypt has the best BVR missile available to date. This might be worth opening a new thread so everyone sees it and we put an end to Egypt not having the best BVR missiles out there.

Lookout for the R-37M possible coming with the Su-35. If we see the export version of that crazy long range A2A missile, that will seal the door very nicely.

Well done that's a french source , i was sure that France and Egypt would find a solution for US blockade ,since Macron has visited US , and MBDA threaten to replace the US components on SCALP .

Like I don't know much about the background etc....but wouldn't a huge point of getting Rafale in first place be the meteor?

Are they just all referred to as Mig 35? Or is this Mig 29 M/M2 (from earlier 2014 deal)? Because there was a Mig-35 deal signed recently too I believe in 2019.

There seem to be something unclear here to me about classification given the way these orders were sequenced and some revised later.

Could you shed some light?

So basically what happened was MiG corporation was promoting the MiG-35 when they did their presentation a couple of years ago - this presentation here I don't know if you remember it or not?

mig-35-reuters.jpg

This was well after the Indian MMRCA by quite a few years IIRC and Egypt was very interested in it and so they made the deal with Russia. Problem is, the exact aircraft they were publicizing wasn't actually available because a couple of the particular elements that made it officially the "MiG-35" were not ready and the main one being the AESA radar which was/is called the Zhuk-AE. In the meantime, they were equipping them with the Zhuk-ME which is a pulse doppler radar (the same one in the Indian MiG-29K slightly lesser range and lesser targets detected and prioritized at once and of course, the AESA factor which is a constantly changing frequency which makes it very difficult or almost impossible to jam) because the AESA radar wasn't (and still isn't ready). The other item that was to be a standard feature on the MiG-35 export version was the OLS-K which is essentially a built-in ground target designator. But instead of that, they offer the T-220 pod which does the same exact thing and is actually a better option because then you can use one pod and share all the info to a slew of other fighters etc. You can see the OLS-K in the pic below, it's that glass bulb under the fuselage.

mig-35-4.jpg

The rest of the stuff like that MAWS, SOAR, RWR and even the improved airframe from this one in this pic to the new MiG-29K/M/35 with the larger wings and larger barn door flaps as well as the Kreuger flaps on the LERX are all newer items since this original MiG-35 came out and all of that stuff is on the Egyptian MiG. So because of those 2 items, they called it the MiG-29M and the 2-seater is the M2 and at some point in time, there was a rumor that MiG had dropped the M designation and that this aircraft is just the MiG-35 because once it gets an upgraded radar, it's officially a MiG-35 and why all the silly numerations etc. So we just call it the MiG-35 because it really is when you factor all that stuff and what is missing really is only the radar.

Even when they tried promoting it again last year for the 2019 models, it's essentially exactly what the EAF MiG is like and if you look at this picture carefully, it has the T-220 pod under the fuselage and no OLS-K lol!

1024px-MiG-35_prot_maks2019_1.jpg

Imagine the nightmare their engineering branch has on their hands.

What do you mean? I don't understand which engineers you're referring to? The Egyptians or the Russians? And why exactly? Kindly elaborate, please.

I did miss it, ma bro. You gotta tag me ma man. The tagging is also not working that well lately. Not sure what the problem is so just remind me like you did. Ishtah 3aleik!

Like I don't know much about the background etc....but wouldn't a huge point of getting Rafale in first place be the meteor?

Yes, of course. But you're talking about Egypt which is the one entity Israel fears the most and tries to stop any type of potent A2A missiles from being acquired for a particular reason that appeared at the end of the October War which has instilled the fear of God in them. And ever since, along with the US, these types of weapons are lobbied by the powers at hand to stop them at any cost from coming to Egypt. But France was the first to open the door with the MICA IR & ER both at around 80km range and now the Russians with the R-77-1 at 110km range and we're waiting to see what other A2A weapons come with the Su-35 but even with the Rafale, look what the US did to stop the SCALP CM? Just because it has one little US component in it, they used that as leverage to stop the 50 we ordered from being delivered but it only worked for a little while and after it was all said and done, we ended up getting half of them for free because of the delay.

Now the Meteor is considered the best missile in the world ATM and to let Egypt have it is like OH MY GOODNESS!!! lol. But it's a done deal and the French actually came through. Now there might not be a need for the Typhoons.

Last edited:
es, of course. But you're talking about Egypt which is the one entity Israel fears the most and tries to stop any type of potent A2A missiles from being acquired for a particular reason that appeared at the end of the October War which has instilled the fear of God in them. And ever since, along with the US, these types of weapons are lobbied by the powers at hand to stop them at any cost from coming to Egypt. But France was the first to open the door with the MICA IR & ER both at around 80km range and now the Russians with the R-77-1 at 110km range and we're waiting to see what other A2A weapons come with the Su-35 but even with the Rafale, look what the US did to stop the SCALP CM? Just because it has one little US component in it, they used that as leverage to stop the 50 we ordered from being delivered but it only worked for a little while and after it was all said and done, we ended up getting half of them for free because of the delay.

Yah what I'm saying is that if I were Egypt I would never have bought rafale to begin with if there wasn't a firm credible agreement (behind closed doors somewhere etc with MBDA honchos and dassault too) that meteor will come.

I would think this stuff would have been worked out right from get go and then whatever happened outside of it in the observable mainstream was just to have an avenue to air out the pressure politics as usual etc...i.e its not part of the initial acquisition deal directly.

I mean rafale is not a cheap buy at all, so Egypt I feel would have secured this in strongest terms possible from get go.

Now there might not be a need for the Typhoons.

Yah just buy more Rafales dude. Its a no brainer.

So basically what happened was MiG corporation was promoting the MiG-35 when they did their presentation a couple of years ago - this presentation here I don't know if you remember it or not?

mig-35-reuters.jpg

This was well after the Indian MMRCA by quite a few years IIRC and Egypt was very interested in it and so they made the deal with Russia. Problem is, the exact aircraft they were publicizing wasn't actually available because a couple of the particular elements that made it officially the "MiG-35" were not ready and the main one being the AESA radar which was/is called the Zhuk-AE. In the meantime, they were equipping them with the Zhuk-ME which is a pulse doppler radar (the same one in the Indian MiG-29K slightly lesser range and lesser targets detected and prioritized at once and of course, the AESA factor which is a constantly changing frequency which makes it very difficult or almost impossible to jam) because the AESA radar wasn't (and still isn't ready). The other item that was to be a standard feature on the MiG-35 export version was the OLS-K which is essentially a built-in ground target designator. But instead of that, they offer the T-220 pod which does the same exact thing and is actually a better option because then you can use one pod and share all the info to a slew of other fighters etc. You can see the OLS-K in the pic below, it's that glass bulb under the fuselage.

mig-35-4.jpg

The rest of the stuff like that MAWS, SOAR, RWR and even the improved airframe from this one in this pic to the new MiG-29K/M/35 with the larger wings and larger barn door flaps as well as the Kreuger flaps on the LERX are all newer items since this original MiG-35 came out and all of that stuff is on the Egyptian MiG. So because of those 2 items, they called it the MiG-29M and the 2-seater is the M2 and at some point in time, there was a rumor that MiG had dropped the M designation and that this aircraft is just the MiG-35 because once it gets an upgraded radar, it's officially a MiG-35 and why all the silly numerations etc. So we just call it the MiG-35 because it really is when you factor all that stuff and what is missing really is only the radar.

Even when they tried promoting it again last year for the 2019 models, it's essentially exactly what the EAF MiG is like and if you look at this picture carefully, it has the T-220 pod under the fuselage and no OLS-K lol!

1024px-MiG-35_prot_maks2019_1.jpg

What do you mean? I don't understand which engineers you're referring to? The Egyptians or the Russians? And why exactly? Kindly elaborate, please.

I did miss it, ma bro. You gotta tag me ma man. The tagging is also not working that well lately. Not sure what the problem is so just remind me like you did. Ishtah 3aleik!

Yes, of course. But you're talking about Egypt which is the one entity Israel fears the most and tries to stop any type of potent A2A missiles from being acquired for a particular reason that appeared at the end of the October War which has instilled the fear of God in them. And ever since, along with the US, these types of weapons are lobbied by the powers at hand to stop them at any cost from coming to Egypt. But France was the first to open the door with the MICA IR & ER both at around 80km range and now the Russians with the R-77-1 at 110km range and we're waiting to see what other A2A weapons come with the Su-35 but even with the Rafale, look what the US did to stop the SCALP CM? Just because it has one little US component in it, they used that as leverage to stop the 50 we ordered from being delivered but it only worked for a little while and after it was all said and done, we ended up getting half of them for free because of the delay.

Now the Meteor is considered the best missile in the world ATM and to let Egypt have it is like OH MY GOODNESS!!! lol. But it's a done deal and the French actually came through. Now there might not be a need for the Typhoons.

i am referring to overall headache for EAF to manage all these different types, with different training, different parts, different training for technicians , different Infrastructure for each aircraft and so on. Whichever way you can paint it, it is a logistical nightmare which the Brass has to deal with.

The Rafale +Su-35 combo could have done all that is required instead of the multiple types operating.

The same goes for Qatar but their motive was to “bribe” the western suppliers into supporting them in the boycott; what is the Egyptian motive?

Yah what I'm saying is that if I were Egypt I would never have bought rafale to begin with if there wasn't a firm credible agreement (behind closed doors somewhere etc with MBDA honchos and dassault too) that meteor will come.

I would think this stuff would have been worked out right from get go and then whatever happened outside of it in the observable mainstream was just to have an avenue to air out the pressure politics as usual etc...i.e its not part of the initial acquisition deal directly.

I mean rafale is not a cheap buy at all, so Egypt I feel would have secured this in strongest terms possible from get go.

Funny I was saying the same thing since the day we got the news that Egypt had bought Rafales. It was shocking just to know they bought that aircraft as we always thought that was an impossibility in of itself, but then when we saw the package deal that was involved, 2 LHD Mistrals, 1 FREMM frigate, 4 Gowind corvettes with ToT in 3 of them to be built in Egypt and 24 friggin Rafales we were like WTF!??! Then as time went by and we saw the initial weapons which were the 2 MICAs, 50 SCALPs, the HAMMERs and the Talios pod with the Meteor on back order, we said ok, let's see how real this meteor is since we've had extremely bad luck with BVR missiles. Then the MiGs started arriving with those deadly BVR missiles and then long after that as we hear Sweden has gotten them to equip their Gripens and a few other countries and then India HAS THEM a week ago, we started thinking we got hosed, AGAIN! lol. But apparently it's been a hush-hush thing and probably the result of the SCALP issue that all parties concerned decided not to make a big deal about it. We'll just have to wait for the day that we see it hanging off one of the jets.

Yah just buy more Rafales dude. Its a no brainer.

I'll tell you what, I've looked into this quite a bit since the Italian mega deal was announced and the possibility of 24 Typhoons being part of it and I thought about the pluses and the minuses and in all honesty, the benefits far outweighed the negatives. They could structure a deadly combination of both aircraft that would literally be unbeatable if they did it the right way. Incorporate both platforms under one command with shared duties would be something that an enemy would have a very difficult time dealing with. The only disadvantage in all of this is the EFT doesn't have a full-fleged AESA radar like the RBE2 in the Rafale. But it has other incredible benefits that make it very deadly in its own right. Combine that with the Rafale and you're ready to sail the world, habibi!

i am referring to overall headache for EAF to manage all these different types, with different training, different parts, different training for technicians , different Infrastructure for each aircraft and so on. Whichever way you can paint it, it is a logistical nightmare which the Brass has to deal with.

I completely disagree. It would be a problem if the numbers of each platform were as high as say our F-16s. But the fact that the MiGs are 46 jets comprising 4 squadrons, while the Rafales and Su-35 are 2 squadrons each. If they were 100 aircraft per type, then it becomes more difficult because of quantity. But training a maintenance crew and pilots for up to 6 squadrons (12 aircraft per) is not a big ordeal for the EAF that has been actually doing it in the past with let's see:

220 F-16s
70- Mirage V
40- F-7
50 - MiG-21
20 - Mirage 2K.

The latter 4 are essentially retired. Now you have:

220 F-16
24 - Rafale
46 - MiG-35
15 /18 Mirage 2000
24 Su-35.

When you look at that comparison, where is there the headache that really wasn't there before?

The Rafale +Su-35 combo could have done all that is required instead of the multiple types operating.

There's a huge advantage in several ways to operating several different types when one is in the position that Egypt is in.

Funny I was saying the same thing since the day we got the news that Egypt had bought Rafales. It was shocking just to know they bought that aircraft as we always thought that was an impossibility in of itself, but then when we saw the package deal that was involved, 2 LHD Mistrals, 1 FREMM frigate, 4 Gowind corvettes with ToT in 3 of them to be built in Egypt and 24 friggin Rafales we were like WTF!??! Then as time went by and we saw the initial weapons which were the 2 MICAs, 50 SCALPs, the HAMMERs and the Talios pod with the Meteor on back order, we said ok, let's see how real this meteor is since we've had extremely bad luck with BVR missiles. Then the MiGs started arriving with those deadly BVR missiles and then long after that as we hear Sweden has gotten them to equip their Gripens and a few other countries and then India HAS THEM a week ago, we started thinking we got hosed, AGAIN! lol. But apparently it's been a hush-hush thing and probably the result of the SCALP issue that all parties concerned decided not to make a big deal about it. We'll just have to wait for the day that we see it hanging off one of the jets.

Man..just the$ 5 billion deal of 24 Rafale and 1 FREMM .. had more than $1 billion exclusively dedicated to weapons..as Egypt had negotiated a huge number of missiles with MBDA but the price went too high so the $1 billion was the minimum Egypt would accept.. including the scalp and the meteor..

Man..just the$ 5 billion deal of 24 Rafale and 1 FREMM .. had more than $1 billion exclusively dedicated to weapons..as Egypt had negotiated a huge number of missiles with MBDA but the price went too high so the $1 billion was the minimum Egypt would accept.. including the scalp and the meteor..

$1 BILLION in weapons alone, and if that doesn't tell you 2 things, then you're not paying attention in that 1) either it's a TON of weapons and/or 2) the French are hosing us big time looool.

Even when you look at the SIPRI sheet for the Russian weapons on the MiG-35, they bought 300 R-73 and 300 R-77. That doesn't seem like a lot and one of the Russian fellas on another forum (because you won't get much info from the Russians on this forum that's for sure!) told me that typically the Russians will suggest that at the start and use up the 300 rounds for target practice and get your pilots really used to using them so they get very acclimated and have a lot of on-hands experience and then when the time is right, the 2nd batch you purchase is the one that you're going to use for real and then storage in hot environments like Egypt becomes very tricky and special buildings with certain cooling systems and heat exchangers etc, in them have to be built to accommodate and store them properly. It makes a lot of sense what those Russian fellas were saying.

Back
Top Bottom