What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

That's close to what I thought, also, in post #3346 as support for any troops disembarking off the Misral's landing crafts. But Mekawy's comment seems to suggest that's already going to be the BMP-1's duty. Close maritime support would seem to be the most likely role for this tank boat. His idea of it patrolling the northern coast of Sinai and the Gaza border and all the terrorist activity on the northern coast makes a lot of sense, for sure. He could very well be spot on with that.

Mistral's capacity can certainly accommodate the BMP's with everything else it can do.

From Wiki:
- Capacity: 59 vehicles (including 13 AMX Leclerc tanks) or a 40-strong Leclerc tank battalion
Obviously those would change to M1A1's and BMP's in whatever ratio is mission appropriate.
Would they use the M-60A3's on the Mistrals?

- Troops:
  • 900 (short duration)
  • 450 (long durations)
  • 150 (serving as operational headquarters)
- Complement: 20 officers, 80 petty officers, 60 quarter-masters

- Aircraft carried: 16 heavy or 35 light helicopters
- Aviation facilities: 6 helicopter landing spots

I would classify the Ka-52 Katran as a "light helicopter" since "heavy" usually pertains to larger and heavier, utility and transport helicopters such as the Sea Kings etc., but I think there will only be 16 per carrier depending on what the Egyptian bosses order and if their MO is to keep additional helos as backup somewhere on land, and I hope they stick with the Katran despite the radar issues.

It didn't list the following as part of the "capacity" so not sure if landing crafts or hovercrafts are actually carried within as part of the load? Maybe you know, SC.
- Boats & landing
- craft carried:
  • 4 CTM (chaland de transport de matériel)
  • alternatively, 2 LCAC (Landing Craft, Air Cushion)

Couldn't agree more, my friend. I kept my criticism away this time because I don't want to upset my brothers and others and make them hesitant on posting cool stuff like this (they'll be thinking "oh that *** Gomig-21 is gonna find some issue and pick it apart that jerk! lol :D) since I have already criticized several aspect of things from the MiGs to certain SF safety procedures and the worst one to me is the smoking on the Mistral is just @#$!%@^ so I toned it down on this one lol. :D Besides, this one isn't as bad as others but you're spot on, it is a shame when you make the analogy you did. You did say the gear is really in need of a very calculated and appropriate upgrade in many parts of the military that it's pretty obvious to many of us and hopefully it will get to the people in charge. We should forward our complaints to the EAF and tag them @#EgypitanArmedForcesPAKDEFENSE! :-)
All I know is there are a lot of options for Boats&Landing.. let it be fully equipped first then we will see what Egypt will chose in those categories.. one example is that large hovercrafts do not need to be carried by the Mistrals, small ones are a possibility though.. I think there will be many configurations for the Mistral carrying capabilities, it will depend mainly on the type of mission to be carried..

Last edited:
Off Topic:

If TR and Masr would have been in good term... We would see some interesting Equipment in the Army... Like Milgem/Ada Class Vessels - Subs - IFV - Incoming Altay - Helis - And Missiles...
And all of that could come with either JV or full ToT , therefore a more independant Def industry in Masr...

:(

18057062_1789290627752990_2330171814782544283_n.jpg.55cf0066bd3eb29001501190db52d5d3.jpg

@Frogman you are going to like this. Why can't they equip all the saqa like this at least.
It always makes my eyes water a little bit when I see Egyptian soldiers carrying ammo.

you are going to like this. Why can't they equip all the saqa like this at least.It always makes my eyes water a little bit when I see Egyptian soldiers carrying ammo.

This should be the bare minimum standard (since it's somewhat usable) for all infantry in my opinion and it is possible.

We can't because there's very little feedback in terms of requirements going to those in charge of procurement for the infantry and the Army as a whole. Decisions happen top down without consultation and separately within different Army's and military Regions.

Which means you get a mismatch of kit for different units/formations which aren't modular, interchangeable, usable, robust, and often come without training so are used/worn wrongly anyway.

It isn't a matter of cost really as other Forces in Africa with worse budgets have better kit for their soldiers. Egypt most likely spends more because it buys so many different things for many different formations.

It always makes my eyes water a little bit when I see Egyptian soldiers carrying ammo.

:lol: It's always weird when soldiers don't carry around ammo.

This should be the bare minimum standard (since it's somewhat usable) for all infantry in my opinion and it is possible.

We can't because there's very little feedback in terms of requirements going to those in charge of procurement for the infantry and the Army as a whole. Decisions happen top down without consultation and separately within different Army's and military Regions.

Which means you get a mismatch of kit for different units/formations which aren't modular, interchangeable, usable, robust, and often come without training so are used/worn wrongly anyway.

It isn't a matter of cost really as other Forces in Africa with worse budgets have better kit for their soldiers. Egypt most likely spends more because it buys so many different things for many different formations.

You should totally be in charge of the Egyptian military.

I also have no clue why they picked such a ugly camo for the army.

Last edited:
It's always weird when soldiers don't carry around ammo.

Look out for olive green side bags and bulging trouser pockets. Often use them to store magazines. Obviously far from ideal.

I also have no clue why they picked such a ugly camo for the army.

I actually quite like it. It's unique to the Sa3ka and has lot of history behind it. Also pretty good in desert/Sinai's mountainous environments. Makes more sense than the Paratroopers woodland camo, which they wanted just to be special.

You should totally be in charge of the Egyptian military.

:oops: I'm just a mong on the internet.

In partnership with Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates, the U.S. Navy is conducting Eagle Salute 2017 maritime exercises to enhance mutual capabilities in maritime security operations. See some of the exercises and team-building activities that are a part of the training!

FB_IMG_1493298054672.jpg

FB_IMG_1493298048647.jpg
FB_IMG_1493298051608.jpg
FB_IMG_1493298045565.jpg

Back
Top Bottom