What's new

Egypt moves to ban alcohol, belly dancing

People through their elected Representatives as long as they respect the Constitution and the law that the vast majority of people agree on(Not the case in Egypt). This Constitution MUST protect all human rights, and prevent law makers from making laws that doesn't respect human rights(Not the case in Egypt). “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -- Thomas Jefferson

You do realize that the Constitution in itself is written by the same elected representatives of the same People & so is the law ! The definition of human rights given therein, the limits that a society sees it fit to impose on individuals on itself or others within the society or any of the 'red-lines' are drawn through 'popular will' ! If that be the case than what seems to be the problem because barring popular will there is no barometer to measure 'right' & 'wrong', 'reasonable' or 'unreasonable' etc. by !

And the democratic process entails - the Majority Agrees not an Overwhelming or an Absolute majority !

the Constitution in itself is written by the same elected representatives of the same People & so is the law !

Wasn't the case in Egypt. Also, a constitution with needs more than just the majority to pass. Human rights, and values are universal values that all human agree on. If some backwards don't like them, we have the right to resist.

Welcome to Talegypt!

Syria under fire and Egypts banning fun - where will Saudi's go?

Wasn't the case in Egypt. Also, a constitution with needs more than just the majority to pass. Human rights, and values are universal values that all human agree on. If some backwards don't like them, we have the right to resist.

The majority did pass the constitution did they not ? The term Human Rights & Values are indeed Universal but their interpretation, the definition & the limits we as a society impose on them are hardly Universal. Besides what does Universality has to do with anything - Let the Egyptian People decide...its their domestic issue & its only their voice that matters not mine, not a Chinese's or an Scandinavian's....we might have opinion & we do but its not our call ! And so if a majority of the people of Egypt decide on points 'A,B & C' then they have the right, by the very notion of democracy, to govern themselves as they see fit.

We have the right to hold a converse opinion but what moral standing does one have if one were to resist through undemocratic means whilst harping about democracy to begin with !

Let the People Decide - If they decide Alcohol is bad - Its their call....I don't have to like it but I respect their decision & the system through which that decision was achieved similarly if the People decide that Prostitution is a good business model let them decide I certainly won't agree with it but I would give them the right to decide this as per the system that we've both agreed upon - The Democratic Process - Get the most votes & you get the 'right' to set paradigms !

Is anyone of you worried that Egypt is getting weaker and even a puppet of Qatar.
I know what you mean by Islamic rules but if that is what people voted for, let them have it. Educate them until the literacy rate is 96%. Then problem will be solved.

The majority did pass the constitution did they not ? The term Human Rights & Values are indeed Universal but their interpretation, the definition & the limits we as a society impose on them are hardly Universal. Besides what does Universality has to do with anything - Let the Egyptian People decide...its their domestic issue & its only their voice that matters not mine, not a Chinese's or an Scandinavian's....we might have opinion & we do but its not our call ! And so if a majority of the people of Egypt decide on points 'A,B & C' then they have the right, by the very notion of democracy, to govern themselves as they see fit.

We have the right to hold a converse opinion but what moral standing does one have if one were to resist through undemocratic means whilst harping about democracy to begin with !

Let the People Decide - If they decide Alcohol is bad - Its their call....I don't have to like it but I respect their decision & the system through which that decision was achieved similarly if the People decide that Prostitution is a good business model let them decide I certainly won't agree with it but I would give them the right to decide this as per the system that we've both agreed upon - The Democratic Process - Get the most votes & you get the 'right' to set paradigms !
This conversation is not going anywhere, but i understand where you coming from. To me it is one way, “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” -- Thomas Jefferson

ROpJqwS.gif

le gaya sadaam....such countries really need to grow up and leave the religion stuff up to the individual's faith...lets make a better society comprising of all living beings…I strongly believe the religion and its faith should be a private matter of any individual…

Procession or any other group activity under the name of any particular religion in public place must be banned…

Is anyone of you worried that Egypt is getting weaker and even a puppet of Qatar.
I know what you mean by Islamic rules but if that is what people voted for, let them have it. Educate them until the literacy rate is 96%. Then problem will be solved.

The problems is you cannot have islamism and education. Two cannot co-exisist.
Egypt will end up like Sunni version of Iran.

funny thing is they still go to imf for loan add that with sharia u get recipe for disaster. to apply sharia one must use gold and silver currency remove imf and riba and live traditional way of life with minimum technology.

The problems is you cannot have islamism and education. Two cannot co-exisist.
Egypt will end up like Sunni version of Iran.
Iran has oil, Egypt doesn't. They will be out of power in no time. They can't control the army, and they they don'y have the support of the middle class. Islamist can't govern, point proven.

Back
Top Bottom