What's new

Durga Puja Ends in Bangladesh

eastwatch

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
New Age | Newspaper

Durga Puja ends with immerson of idols

Devotees smear each other’s face with vermillion on the Bijaya Dashami of Saradiya Durga Puja at the Dhakeswari temple in Dhaka on Thursday.—Focusbangla Photo
Bdnews24.com . Dhaka

Hundreds of thousands of Hindus across the country have bidden farewell to goddess Durga by immersing her idols and those of accompanying deities in rivers and ponds.

The idols of Durga were taken to the bank of the river Buriganga in the afternoon on Thursday along with the idols of her companions from the pavilions in Dhaka.

The 10-day homage to the deity, the biggest religious festival for followers of Hinduism, ended with devotees submerging effigies of Durga.

In Dhaka, idols immersion started by the Volagiry Puja Celebration Committee in the river Buriganga from Bina Smrity Snanghat of Waisghat at 5:15pm, Mohanagar Sarbojonin Puja Committee general secretary Babul Chandra Dev told the news agency.

Among the 199 Durga idols in the city, around 130 were immersed from Bina Smrity Snanghat. The immersion also took place at Postagola Crematory and Hazaribagh embankment.

The idols from Uttara were immersed in the river Turag.

The Kotwali police station officer-in-charge Salauddin said devotees carrying deities in trucks came from around the capital. The police, RAB and intelligence agents were on standby to avoid any unpleasant incidents.

The main festivities of the occasion started off on Sunday with the Swasti Puja and were celebrated across 3,000 pandals around the country, including 200 stages in the capital.

The immersion was done peacefully in Chittagong also.

The divisional organising secretary of Bangladesh Puja Celebration Committee Chandon Talukder said 150 sets of idols were immersed at Patenga beach, 40 in Kattoly Rani Rashmony Ghat and 20 in the river Karnaphuli.

President Zillur Rahman exchanged greetings with the Hindu representatives on the occasion of Bijaya Dashami on Thursday morning.

Reports of peaceful immersion also came in from Sylhet, Rajshahi and Khulna districts.

Earlier on Thursday morning, Bisarjan Puja took place. The devotees gathered at Puja pavilions at noon to receive parting blessings of the goddess Durga for good health, peace and happiness.

Dhanmondi Sarbojonin Puja Celebration Committee chief Swapon Kumar Gosh said, ‘The shadow immersion of the goddess has been completed at 10 am. We will now take the goddess for final immersion at the Buriganga River at 4:00pm through a colourful rally.’

Dhaka Ram Krishna Mission priest Amol Maharaja told the news agency: ‘The Bijaya signifies giving up all demonic intensions such as lust, anger, envy and greed and establishing peace around the world through kinship.’

According to Bishuddha Shiddhanta Panjika, the Hindu religious almanac, this year the goddess Durga arrived on earth on an elephant and will return in a cradle.

According to the religion, her arrival on an elephant signifies prosperity and happiness, even though her departure on a cradle hints at disasters.

Ma eshechhen Goje chore, tai ebar foshol valo hoeche - prime minister Hasina :p

She really said that??

Anyway i am in singapore rite now and did you guys know there are more bangladeshi puja mandops in singapore than the indian puja mandops??

Yup, one of the mandops even had sabina yasmin (a popular bd singer, in case you dont know) performance, for three days.

That's good.

In Dhaka, I saw large gatherings in both Gulshan and Uttara. But boy, Gulshan was so crowded that the traffic was gridlocked! Made me want to troll :angry:

That's good.

In Dhaka, I saw large gatherings in both Gulshan and Uttara. But boy, Gulshan was so crowded that the traffic was gridlocked! Made me want to troll :angry:

Welcome to dhaka my friend, its always crowded, especially during festivals:)

She really said that??

Anyway i am in singapore rite now and did you guys know there are more bangladeshi puja mandops in singapore than the indian puja mandops??

In Tokyo, we do not have many Puja Mandaps. There is one by the BD people and the other by the Indians. However, with the supports from non-Hindu Bangladeshis BD Puja is much gorgeous than the Indian one.

There was a time quite a few years ago when only the Indian Hindus used to arrange this Puja. But, these Indians disliked the presence of our people. Our Hindus were regularly insulted by the Indians. So, our Hindu seniors came to the BD Muslim leading figures and pleaded for their help and participation.

It was an insult to our entire nation by the Indians, so the Muslims promised them full cooperation. BD Hindus have been organizing this yearly Puja since then in a befitting manner.

Because of shortage in number in Hindu population in Tokyo, BD Muslims go to the Hall in great number and share the happiness of their Hindu brethren.

Shubho Bijoya to all of you :)

300715_205878786144162_100001661263329_492346_1647345029_n.jpg

Even here in Bahrain, I saw more BD devotees in the very few Pujas, even more then Indians.. There seem to be a large number of BD Hindus here in Bahrain.

Nauzubillah min zalik. If she believe what she said then it's clear that she is no more Muslim. She must perform Shahadah in order to become Muslim.

Nauzubillah min zalik. If she believe what she said then it's clear that she is no more Muslim. She must perform Shahadah in order to become Muslim.

Aur kuch maulana saab, koi aur fatwa????????? :rofl: :rofl:

সকল বাঙ্গালী বন্ধুদের শুভ কামনা

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom