What's new

Documentary about India by NHK, I recommend them to Chinese members

So you're saying that everyone in India gets the level of education to match their potential?

So, out of a population of 1.1 billion people, only 5000 have the brains to absorb a top-notch technical education?

PS. And that is assuming that all the IITs are good. My IIT-grad friends tell me that is not the case; some are better than others.

Not every university can be Ivy league. Its as simple as that. And your IIT grad friends are just being humble.

Have you ever wondered that instead of low quality education, the fact that there are a limited number of seats in these institutions could be another reason for such a low intake ratio?

Well, that is precisely the point!
That India is spending money on weapons instead of building more IITs.

Speak for yourself. You are the one who said I have been hanging around Israeli apologists bit too much.

Uh no.
You mentioned "jewish media" in a desperate attempt to play the anti-semitism card, and I called you on it.

Not every university can be Ivy league.

No, but you can build more universities that are of that caliber.

And your IIT grad friends are just being humble.

They were saying that some campuses are all theory, whereas others are more practical oriented.

Depends how you see it. They said,"Although China is still a one party communist state, even here in Xiuning the pace of change is fast". It can be seen as they stating that "one party system" is working quite well in China, since the development is reaching to even tiny far far flung towns as well. Its not propaganda its about how you perceive things and how paranoid as a person you are.

Speak for yourself. You are the one who said I have been hanging around Israeli apologists bit too much.

It's not the 1 party state part that bothers me. It's the "although". As if, fast pace of change and 1 party state are contradictory.

So you're saying that everyone in India gets the level of education to match their potential?

So, out of a population of 1.1 billion people, only 5000 have the brains to absorb a top-notch technical education?

PS. And that is assuming that all the IITs are good. My IIT-grad friends tell me that is not the case; some are better than others.

Now you are being silly. The IIT's are not all there is to a technical education in India, only the most sought after. The CAT exams for entry to the IIM's have about 300000 aspirants taking it for a total of about a 1000 seats for general merit. This for a post graduation course! There are a number of other exams held in various parts of the country (CET etc)for a number of different institutions including regional institutes of Technology which are ranked just below the IIT's. There are a lot of private institutions, some of which are very good but where the fees are comparatively higher. The IIT's give you an education for under $5000 which includes accommodation & fees for 4 years after which you are almost certainly guaranteed a high paying job. Any wonder that so many want to win that lottery?

Sheesh !

1. India is spending just 1.8% of GDP on military
2. 10 (yes Ten) new IITs have been created within the past 3 years

Uh no.
You mentioned "jewish media" in a desperate attempt to play the anti-semitism card, and I called you on it.

I was referring to the paranoia of the escapists who brand anything which they don't like as Zionist propaganda from Jewish media.

No, but you can build more universities that are of that caliber.

India is, there are more 15 IITs now in 2011 as compared to 7 in 2005. Thanks for the advise though.

They were saying that some campuses are all theory, whereas others are more practical oriented.

Undergraduate engineering education anywhere in the world in more theory oriented imo.

============================================================
http://www.visualeconomics.com/how-countries-spend-their-money/ Link for whoever is debating education and military spendings.

Now you are being silly. The IIT's are not all there is to a technical education in India, only the most sought after. The CAT exams for entry to the IIM's have about 300000 aspirants taking it for a total of about a 1000 seats for general merit. This for a post graduation course! There are a number of other exams held in various parts of the country (CET etc)for a number of different institutions including regional institutes of Technology which are ranked just below the IIT's. There are a lot of private institutions, some of which are very good but where the fees are comparatively higher. The IIT's give you an education for under $5000 which includes accommodation & fees for 4 years after which you are almost certainly guaranteed a high paying job. Any wonder that so many want to win that lottery?

Yeah there are a lot of excellent regional colleges (NITs), IIITs and some excellent private colleges like BITS Pilani etc

Well, that is precisely the point!
That India is spending money on weapons instead of building more IITs.

Building more IITs dilutes the exclusiveness, dilutes the pool of creme de la creme, dilutes the high standards and dilutes the resources. There is a reason as to why IITs are so exclusive. Just so you know, 8 more new IITs are up and running!

FYI, the second tier institutes - the regional engineering colleges RECs are also excellent. Infact a REC recently got converted to the IIT (Rourkee). Students have the option of joining the RECs if their IIT entrance scores are not high enough.

As for defense expenditure, India can afford to spend, so shall she! But you are still ignoring the fact that quality education provides the students the confidence to even attempt, what could arguably be considered as, one of the toughest entrance exams in the world!

It's not the 1 party state part that bothers me. It's the "although". As if, fast pace of change and 1 party state are contradictory.

See mate these documentaries are made for domestic consumption(Britain) in this case and rest of the English speaking world. right? That sentence can be taken as, BBC asserting the fact that one party system is working quite well in China, as opposed to what the general western world opinion is.

But that's the whole point: these other schools are second, or third, or fourth tier institutions. We can use euphemisms like "almost as good as" or "just below", but there is a reason they are not first choice. I don't want to get into poverty, but the cost of education is a significant factor in people's education choices. India is not the USA -- the vast majority do not have access to private funds or scholarships to go to private schools.

The simple fact is that India could have invested in more IIT-level schools and doubled the number to 10,000 -- especially since India is banking its future on high-tech.

The original point I was making was how statistics (5000 out of 300,000) can be interpreted differently.

Nothing wrong with the western model. Almost all the successful countries in the world run on western model. And as far as education is concerned Indian system is not even close to what people have in western world.

Having said that, what do you have to say about the documentaries that are made by BBC or Reuters showing the positive side of China? Do you brandish them as propaganda as well?

Looks like this paranoia about "jewish media" has started to take its toll on peoples reason and logic. And if we go by the point you and developereo has made, pretty much every documentary and video ever made and posted here is a propaganda.

Let me point out first of all that I have never mentioned "propaganda" or "the Jewish media".
I share Developereo's view because, I think, both of us are trying to point out the fact that any piece of literature is written from a certain perspective, with both a text and subtext. I am aware of Western documentaries about China's rapid economic development. That is the text. What about the subtext? After seeing those documentaries, do you walk away convinced that China will be able to sustain such growth in the future? I presume not.
On a side note, propaganda is not about all lies. That would be self-defeating. Propaganda is all about careful screening of information that would let people come to their "own" conclusion. Over the course of several hundred years the Western media has managed to elevate it into something of an art form.

report: derogatory name calling--"an american troll"

Add me to your report please. Add whatever derogatory terms come to mind; I'll subscribe to that view of you. Make it really hideous, no half-measures, mind, or Big Daddy watching from Australia will come after you.

I was referring to the paranoia of the escapists who brand anything which they don't like as Zionist propaganda from Jewish media.

By bringing in "jewish media" you were laying the groundwork for the usual anti-semitism canard, in case you couldn't sustain your argument. No use dancing around it now.

Link for whoever is debating education and military spendings.

Good, we can discuss that when the topic becomes relative military expenditures. Until then, perhaps you can focus on the matter beign discussed, which is how statistics can be interpreted to further a particular point of view.

Building more IITs dilutes the exclusiveness, dilutes the pool of creme de la creme, dilutes the high standards and dilutes the resources. There is a reason as to why IITs are so exclusive. Just so you know, 8 more new IITs are up and running!

I will accept the first, maybe the second, but not the last two points.

As for defense expenditure, India can afford to spend, so shall she! But you are still ignoring the fact that quality education provides the students the confidence to even attempt, what could arguably be considered as, one of the toughest entrance exams in the world!

The issue is not attempting exams, but getting affordable education to match your potential.

The point was that the original statistic "5000 seats for 300,000 applicants" can be interpreted both ways.

But that's the whole point: these other schools are second, or third, or fourth tier institutions. We can use euphemisms like "almost as good as" or "just below", but there is a reason they are not first choice. I don't want to get into poverty, but the cost of education is a significant factor in people's education choices. India is not the USA -- the vast majority do not have access to private funds or scholarships to go to private schools.

The simple fact is that India could have invested in more IIT-level schools and doubled the number to 10,000 -- especially since India is banking its future on high-tech.

The original point I was making was how statistics (5000 out of 300,000) can be interpreted differently.

Actually there are institutions in India that have education system on par with IITs. The factor is the students studying there. Only the best of the best get in. So the output of the school is good. Not because they have some special curriculum. IIT is prestigious because of its exclusivity, which will be lost if government opens more of them.
Most of these guys go to US and work in the biggest firms and earn big bucks. India seldom benefits from them. Most of the scientists and engineers in India are from the more humble institutions. India will benefit from IIT engineers when Indian companies and government can afford to pay them.

Back
Top Bottom