What's new

Documentary about India by NHK, I recommend them to Chinese members

Those rankings are rubbish because ucl should never in a million years be top 10 let alone 4.

And LSE should be top 10 not 100.

It is the balance of the opinion. People should learn all aspects of India including those that are hidden and down played.

You have to understand one thing about this forum. The Indian damage control team has been very effective in neutralizing the Chinese response.

The exact same Indians who act downright arrogant and bigoted towards Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh, then turn around and pretend to be nicey-nice towards China. That's because they know that their braggart veneer of superiority in the region will be smashed by any comparison to China.

So they put on a show about maintining civility in discussion -- but only towards China. All civility and decorum goes out the windows when these Indian braggarts start bashing other countries in the region.

The 'documentary' in question is clearly a one-sided propaganda piece. It is always interesting to watch propaganda, but it is also good to remind people of the perspective, as you did.

Another thread ruined by a fresh Chinese troll...

I'd still like to see a translated version of the video but no one seems to have an answer.

The documentary was produced by NHK in Japanese language, and then posted on Chinese video sharing website. We Chinese can understand it because Chinese subtitles were added to the documentary by Chinese netizens.

I am sorry I can't find another version with English subtitles.

The 'documentary' in question is clearly a one-sided propaganda piece. It is always interesting to watch propaganda, but it is also good to remind people of the perspective, as you did.

Sir, I beg to differ here. I started this thread and shared this documentary to provide Chinese members with another perspective to understand India. The documentary was filmed by Japanese NHK, by no means should it be called a propaganda about India.

You have to understand one thing about this forum. The Indian damage control team has been very effective in neutralizing the Chinese response.

The exact same Indians who act downright arrogant and bigoted towards Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh, then turn around and pretend to be nicey-nice towards China. That's because they know that their braggart veneer of superiority in the region will be smashed by any comparison to China.

So they put on a show about maintining civility in discussion -- but only towards China. All civility and decorum goes out the windows when these Indian braggarts start bashing other countries in the region.

Its not about arrogance or civility or hypocrisy for that matter, its about relevance to the thread. No one has stopped him from opening a thread about Indian toilets if thats what he wishes to do.

And about the highlighted part am guessing you know either Chinese/Japanese, since you have called it an outright propaganda? And if it is, then I guess Indians have done well in convincing the Japanese to make such a documentary, Chinese to bother putting subtitles and of course the Chinese forumer who posted the video here must have been paid handsomely by India, to fan this propaganda.
:disagree:

Not the case at all. Getting into top colleges in China are extremely difficult. In fact getting into college at all is extremely difficult. I got into Pittsburgh University here but I doubt I could even get into college in China with all the competition.

There are 4 universities from China in the global top 50 and they rise every year in rank.

World's Best Universities: Top 400 - US News and World Report

Well, not really. Getting into college is extremely easy. Getting into a college that's worth 4 years and tuition is hard.

There's 5 tiers of schools in China divided into 3 score tiers. Tier 1 schools are the top level public schools. There are about 100 of these and each has around 20000 students. Within this, there are the "211 Project Schools" which are the Ivy League of China. I go to such a school. The Huazhong University of Science and Technology. But you don't feel like you're part of an elite once you get in since there's 0.5 million of you or so out of a graduating class of 6 million or so. At least at my school. The kids at Qinghua/Beida/Shanghai Jiaotong are different since that's where leaders are made. HUST is where the next generation of migrant workers are made =)

Tier 2 schools are the regular public schools; the primary difference is that they do not offer PhD degrees but only up to Masters. There are also about 100 of these and are also the same size. They require much lower standards than the tier 1 schools.

Tier 3 are private schools with low standards that anyone can go into but there are differences here. There are both complete colleges offering standard B.S. and B.A. degrees and technical schools that offer B.S. in practical fields like engineering and accounting only.

My friends have gone to everything from 211 project top tier schools to 3rd rate technical schools. The 3rd tier schools used to not exist until 15 years ago, when the education system was opened to private investors.

@ below_freezing :lol: for a minute a thought you were talking about schools not universities! And was baffled at the figures of 20,000 in each school:cheesy:. Didn't know you guys called your universities school too.

Sir, I beg to differ here. I started this thread and shared this documentary to provide Chinese members with another perspective to understand India. The documentary was filmed by Japanese NHK, by no means should it be called a propaganda about India.

Precisely my point: the documentary is intended to convey a particular perspective, not a balanced view. There is nothing wrong with it. Just as there is nothing wrong with pointing it out.

As for puff pieces, they can be produced by many entities not related to the actual country. Companies sponsor them to attract investors, other countries sponsor them as a diplomatic gesture, etc. etc.

Its not about arrogance or civility or hypocrisy for that matter, its about relevance to the thread. No one has stopped him from opening a thread about Indian toilets if thats what he wishes to do.

I am making a general point about Indian and Chinese posters.

And about the highlighted part am guessing you know either Chinese/Japanese, since you have called it an outright propaganda?

I am going by the Englsih summaries posted earlier.

And if it is, then I guess Indians have done well in convincing the Japanese to make such a documentary, Chinese to bother putting subtitles and of course the Chinese forumer who posted the video here must have been paid handsomely by India, to fan this propaganda.
:disagree:

Oh, for heavens sake!

Do you really think that every pro-India propaganda has to be paid for by India?
There are business interests, national interests and other factors that involve non-Indian entities.

Btw, I am not disputing anything in the documentary. India has a very good education system.

@ below_freezing :lol: for a minute a thought you were talking about schools not universities! And was baffled at the figures of 20,000 in each school:cheesy:. Didn't know you guys called your universities school too.

my school is even larger. it has 35000 students spread out over 2 campuses.

you're right though: Even China's top schools lower standards (except Beida/Qinghua/Fudan/Shanghai Jiaotong, the top of the top, elite producing schools which). I got in HUST because it's located in my province and schools give priority (lower admission standards) for students from the home province.

IIT don't have that I think, so they actually produce top tier students.

my school is even larger. it has 35000 students spread out over 2 campuses.

you're right though: Even China's top schools lower standards (except Beida/Qinghua/Fudan/Shanghai Jiaotong, the top of the top, elite producing schools which). I got in HUST because it's located in my province and schools give priority (lower admission standards) for students from the home province.

IIT don't have that I think, so they actually produce top tier students.

Same here in US. The schools have quotas for their home states with lower admission prices.

I believe your assessment is spot on. The NHK documentary paints a pretty flattering picture of India, which in itself is not an issue at all. Indeed India does not have to pay for favorable coverage in either the Japanese or the Western media. They praise India because they see India as a follower of, not a challenger to, the Western ideological model. Journalists in the Western camp write as much out of a ideological straight jacket as anybody else. No reporting is ever balanced. Nor will it ever be. People always portray things from a certain perspective, most likely a self-serving one.

As far as I know its the same in India as well, admissions based on domicile I think its called, but those are state run universities. The national universities have no such thing. But thats fair enough, whats worse is the reservation quota based on castes we have in India. Not just reservation for students, now they have ordered 15% reservation for the faculties too based on caste.

Currently, there exists a reservation of 15% for SC and 7.5% for ST candidates.[1] However, the IITs are not bound to fill these seats, and many of them remain unfilled owing to the nature of selection process[citation needed]. As per the rules, all the Scheduled Caste (SC) and Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates have to appear in the Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE) with the rest of the students. Based on the results of IIT-JEE, those SC/ST candidates that qualify by a relaxed selection criteria of scoring more than about two-third of the marks scored by the last General Category student are admitted directly to IITs[1]. (In 2008, the ratio was 58%). Another slab of candidates who do not meet this relaxed admission criteria are offered a Preparatory Course of physics, chemistry and mathematics at the IIT concerned. After one year of study, only those candidates who are able to clear a cut-off in the End Semester Exams are allowed into regular studies at the IITs. The seats reserved for SC/ST students are not transferable to General Category and roll on to the next year's students from the Preparatory Courses

On 9 June 2008, the government ordered 15% quota for SC, 7.5% for ST and 27% quota for OBCs in teaching positions. IITs currently have no reservations in teaching positions

I believe your assessment is spot on. The NHK documentary paints a pretty flattering picture of India, which in itself is not an issue at all. Indeed India does not have to pay for favorable coverage in either the Japanese or the Western media. They praise India because they see India as a follower of, not a challenger to, the Western ideological model. Journalists in the Western camp write as much out of a ideological straight jacket as anybody else. No reporting is ever balanced. Nor will it ever be. People always portray things from a certain perspective, most likely a self-serving one.

Nothing wrong with the western model. Almost all the successful countries in the world run on western model. And as far as education is concerned Indian system is not even close to what people have in western world.

Having said that, what do you have to say about the documentaries that are made by BBC or Reuters showing the positive side of China? Do you brandish them as propaganda as well?

Looks like this paranoia about "jewish media" has started to take its toll on peoples reason and logic. And if we go by the point you and developereo has made, pretty much every documentary and video ever made and posted here is a propaganda.

Nothing wrong with the western model. Almost all the successful countries in the world run on western model. And as far as education is concerned Indian system is not even close to what people have in western world.

Having said that, what do you have to say about the documentaries that are made by BBC or Reuters showing the positive side of China? Do you brandish them as propaganda as well?

Looks like this paranoia about "jewish media" has started to take its toll on peoples reason and logic. And if we go by the point you and developereo has made, pretty much every documentary and video ever made and posted here is a propaganda.

India is being propped up as a counter to China.

The pro-China documentaries in the West are often about ancient Chinese culture. The documentaries that talk about modern China often have a cautionary edge -- about the environment, human rights or impact on the established world order (i.e. Western way of life).

And the predictable attempt to play the anti-semitism card is wearing thin. I guess you have been hanging around your Israeli apologists too long...

Not the case at all. Getting into top colleges in China are extremely difficult. In fact getting into college at all is extremely difficult. I got into Pittsburgh University here but I doubt I could even get into college in China with all the competition.

There are 4 universities from China in the global top 50 and they rise every year in rank.

World's Best Universities: Top 400 - US News and World Report

I consider the QS ranking to be the least accurate among major university rankings as it relies too much on reputation surveys.

Shanghai Jiaotong university's ARWU list is better although IMHO it does put too much emphasizes on having a few very distinguished faculty and alumni(!). It is also a 100% research ranking without taking quality of education into consideration. In ARWU ranking China has no universities among Top 100.

THE (Times Higher Education) is kind of marriage between QS and ARWU, as it weights both reputation surveys, published papers and teaching criteria. In THE ranking, China has 5 universities in Top 100 (4 in Top 50).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom