What's new

Documentary about India by NHK, I recommend them to Chinese members

India is being propped up as a counter to China.

The pro-China documentaries in the West are often about ancient Chinese culture. The documentaries that talk about modern China often have a cautionary edge -- about the environment, human rights or impact on the established world order (i.e. Western way of life).

And the predictable attempt to play the anti-semitism card is wearing thin. I guess you have been hanging around your Israeli apologists too long...

There are some documentaries about China which are up beat and very positive. The latest one I saw was Piers Morgan's documentary on Shanghai. They did mention about the freedom of speech, not as a big issue but how the people learn to tackle and overcome it.

It shouldn't be surprising that Japan a country which has a good relationship with India is making a documentary showing the positive side of the country.

And if we go by the point you and developereo has made, pretty much every documentary and video ever made and posted here is a propaganda.

That is true to some extent. Many, if not most, documentaries have a specific message they want to convey. Propaganda does not always mean telling lies; it could involve selective reporting or favoring a particular interpretation of facts.

For example, the fact that 5000 applicants get into IIT out of 300,000 can be portrayed in two ways:
- IIT are extremely selective and only the cream of the crop get in.
- India is spending billions on weapons while the vast majority of its people are denied quality education.

Both conclusions are valid based on the data, but a documentary may mention only one of them to suit its agenda.

There are some documentaries about China which are up beat and very positive. The latest one I saw was Piers Morgan's documentary on Shanghai. They did mention about the freedom of speech, not as a big issue but how the people learn to tackle and overcome it.

It shouldn't be surprising that Japan a country which has a good relationship with India is making a documentary showing the positive side of the country.

Exactly! You confirmed both my points.

India is being propped up as a counter to China.

India is not being propped up by anyone. India is just another huge developing economy, the only mistake India did was perhaps to start growing in about the same time as China. What do you want India to do, stop developing so that its not seen as a counter as China.

The pro-China documentaries in the West are often about ancient Chinese culture. The documentaries that talk about modern China often have a cautionary edge -- about the environment, human rights or impact on the established world order (i.e. Western way of life).

Tell me what you think about this documentary.

There is a whole series, have a look in the related videos for the rest of the episodes and parts when you get time and tell me if you class this as propaganda or not.

And the predictable attempt to play the anti-semitism card is wearing thin. I guess you have been hanging around your Israeli apologists too long...

Yeah just as thin as your victim of islamophobia play.

Last edited by a moderator:
India is not being propped up by anyone. India is just another huge developing economy, the only mistake India did was perhaps to start growing in about the same time as China. What do you want India to do, stop developing so that its not seen as a counter as China.

Tell me what you think about this documentary.

There is a whole series, have a look in the related videos for the rest of the episodes and parts when you get time and tell me if you class this as propaganda or not.

so familiar... this is exactly what my teacher said before the test!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Documentaries serve the purpose of information and education.

They can also be used to undertake a disinformation exercise too.

It all depends who is filming and editing the documentary and what is the intent.

Hey it's not fair. People will not kidding with themselves by signing up their names with beida if they don't get a chance to go there. Playing with gaokao is no fun if beida fails you and you find yourself no where to go.

Good documentery.

5000 people are accepted to IIT out of 300,000 applicants.

In contrast, Beida alone is 2646 accepted out of 20036, an acceptance rate 10x higher than IIT.

±±´óÀúÄê¼ȡÈËÊý_°Ù¶ÈÎÄ¿â

It is no wonder then that the IITs which concentrate the ultra high geniuses of India, are held in high regard. They are far more selective than even the top of the top elite Chinese universities.

India is not being propped up by anyone.

Separate subject that has been debated elsewhere. We can leave it for now.

tell me if you class this as propaganda or not.

They managed to slip in the fact about one-party political system and one-child policy. The big subtext in many China documentaries in the West is the fear of the rising challenger.

First Jews and now Islamophobia. Desperate much?
And you are the one lecturing others on off-topic posts! :rofl:

One thing about those documentaries really impressed me- NHK actually dubbed over all English/Hindi/Whatever in Japanese, whereas junk Chinese broadcasters like CCAV due to their perpetual habit of kissing white man's a$s often leave entire interview in English and only sub them in Chinese. People with poor eyesight like my grandma simply can't watch those CCAV documentaries.

One thing about those documentaries really impressed me- NHK actually dubbed over all English/Hindi/Whatever in Japanese, whereas junk Chinese broadcasters like CCAV due to their perpetual habit of kissing white man's a$s often leave entire interview in English and only sub them in Chinese. People with poor eyesight like my grandma simply can't watch those CCAV documentaries.

The point you raise is an important one.

I presume the commercial consideration prevents the dubbing in the local language as also the incorrect idea that the common local would find the issue too 'high flown' to understand.

In fact, it should be in the local language and dubbed in English since that would be a cheaper proposition to the documentary maker and it would reach a greater number in the local viewership.

One has to also understand the intent of the producer. If a documentary is export oriented or is it for domestic consumption.

One has to also understand the intent of the producer. If a documentary is export oriented or is it for domestic consumption.

I can't imagine that programs on Japanese TV have Chinese subtitles.

It's likely the original Japanese-dubbed program was augmented with Chinese subtitles to make it accessible to a wider audience.

That is true to some extent. Many, if not most, documentaries have a specific message they want to convey. Propaganda does not always mean telling lies; it could involve selective reporting or favoring a particular interpretation of facts.

For example, the fact that 5000 applicants get into IIT out of 300,000 can be portrayed in two ways:
- India is spending billions on weapons while the vast majority of its people are denied quality education.

Both conclusions are valid based on the data, but a documentary may mention only one of them to suit its agenda.

Really?? Only the really cussed can come to the second conclusion. i suppose if there are a lot more applications than are accepted in Harvard, MIT etc. you might conclude that the U.S. is spending billions on weapons & the vast majority of its people are denied quality education.:lol:

Hey it's not fair. People will not kidding with themselves by signing up their names with beida if they don't get a chance to go there. Playing with gaokao is no fun if beida fails you and you find yourself no where to go.

哈哈,反正可以填四个志愿嘛~

我同学就发生了你所说的情况,她填的是北大,清华,复旦和北京体育大学~ 结果去了体育大学。。。

It's a Chinese problem. Sigh. Or they want people to learn English? Why do we need English? The most practical use of English I've ever had is this forum, proof of its uselessness.

Really?? Only the really cussed can come to the second conclusion. i suppose if there are a lot more applications than are accepted in Harvard, MIT etc. you might conclude that the U.S. is spending billions on weapons & the vast majority of its people are denied quality education.:lol:

So you're saying that everyone in India gets the level of education to match their potential?

So, out of a population of 1.1 billion people, only 5000 have the brains to absorb a top-notch technical education?

PS. And that is assuming that all the IITs are good. My IIT-grad friends tell me that is not the case; some are better than others.

You got the first one right. IITs and IISc are/is very selective in their screening process. IISc for instance has an entrance exam (you need to be qualified to even attempt that exam - like passing GATE), followed by couple of rounds of interviews and then the selected students' list is put up.

Your second assumption is unsubstantiated and baseless. Have you ever wondered that instead of low quality education, the fact that there are a limited number of seats in these institutions could be another reason for such a low intake ratio?

Instead of accusing India of having a low quality education, have you wondered that majority of those 300000 applicants find themselves confident enough, based on their education, to even attempt one of the toughest entrance exams - IIT-JEE? Dont you think that instilling confidence in a large number of students to make them take such an exam speaks about of the quality of education in India?

They managed to slip in the fact about one-party political system and one-child policy. The big subtext in many China documentaries in the West is the fear of the rising challenger.

Depends how you see it. They said,"Although China is still a one party communist state, even here in Xiuning the pace of change is fast". It can be seen as they stating that "one party system" is working quite well in China, since the development is reaching to even tiny far far flung towns as well. Its not propaganda its about how you perceive things and how paranoid as a person you are.

First Jews and now Islamophobia. Desperate much?
And you are the one lecturing others on off-topic posts! :rofl:

Speak for yourself. You are the one who said I have been hanging around Israeli apologists bit too much.

Back
Top Bottom