What's new

Do India's Space Program and Mars Mission Make Sense?

I have to disagree with @RiazHaq

High profile technology demonstrators are aimed at encouraging enrollment in science. All advanced countries go to great lengths to keep up participation in science and technology, because survival in today's knowledge based economies depends on a vibrant technological ecosystem.

The fact that Pakistan's rulers are feudal/mercantile bean counters without a clue or a vision is one of the reasons the country is nowhere on the technology matrix.

It's important to feed the poor, but it is equally important to feed the mind and imagination of the next generation.
A competent country can do both.
A competent country should do both.

@Developereo

Competent countries are those which do the basic hard work and invest in better quality of education. Such countries show up near the top of various rankings such as PISA-TIMSS tests, world's top universities and human development index. Unlike other countries such as US, Europeans nations, Japan and China pursuing space exploration, India is conspicuously absent from the top rankings.

For example, Indian students rank near the bottom on PISA, a global test of learning standards conducted in 74 nations this year. TIMSS, another standardized international test, produced similar results earlier in 2003.

b9679a482a4ec36e4572fa4849c96a2f.jpg

Haq's Musings: PISA & TIMSS Confirm Low Quality of Indian Education

@Developereo

Competent countries are those which do the basic hard work and invest in better quality of education. Such countries show up near the top of various rankings such as PISA-TIMSS tests, world's top universities and human development index. Unlike other countries such as US, Europeans nations, Japan and China pursuing space exploration, India is conspicuously absent from the top rankings.

For example, Indian students rank near the bottom on PISA, a global test of learning standards conducted in 74 nations this year. TIMSS, another standardized international test, produced similar results earlier in 2003.

View attachment 89717

What's the better catalyst to encourage kids to get educated?

• PISA test results and Riaz Haq Blogs criticizing whole country, ignoring the efforts taken, improvements made and worst turning blind eye on situation on his own country
or
  • Advancement in technical field, to create more jobs, elevating people from poverty, make them feel proud and encouraging more to study.
Myself and any sane mind with honest & good intentions will always choose second option.

n India's space program could have
I have to disagree with @RiazHaq

High profile technology demonstrators are aimed at encouraging enrollment in science. All advanced countries go to great lengths to keep up participation in science and technology, because survival in today's knowledge based economies depends on a vibrant technological ecosystem.

The fact that Pakistan's rulers are feudal/mercantile bean counters without a clue or a vision is one of the reasons the country is nowhere on the technology matrix.

It's important to feed the poor, but it is equally important to feed the mind and imagination of the next generation.
A competent country can do both.
A competent country should do both.

Well said. I am an engineer in a western nation and many engineers here want to go back. Why? because we see our country making genuine efforts towards development.

The speech from Modi shows that we do have a vision which is even more encouraging.

Last edited:
Well, not all Pakistanis are butthurt about India's Mars Mission. Nice to see..

Metro Bus or Mars: The problem with our priorities - Blogs - DAWN.COM

Some interesting snippets from the article

Putting aside NASA and the European Space Agency, ISRO too started off with resources similar to Pakistan, and I will argue, with even lesser expertise than Pakistan.

SUPARCO was ahead of all other Asian nations in the space race, but what happened to us then?

On September 24, when India's Mars Orbiter Mission, or Mangalyaan successfully entered the Martian orbit, I was completely overwhelmed with happiness. Why?

Because as a person deeply interested in science, scientific achievement anywhere around the world – even if it is in some far off island in the Oceania – the achievement humbles me.

But at the same time, I think about Pakistan, the country whose passport I hold, and whose National Identity Card gives me an identity.

Pakistan is now nowhere in the space race.

Pakistan is nowhere near eliminating polio.

Pakistan is nowhere in literacy.

Where is Pakistan?

Pakistan’s education budget was, in actual terms, reduced by 11 per cent in the recent budget, whereas other countries are investing more in health and education.

It is obvious that the nation’s priorities are wrong

And the gem....

A number of people are still bashing India on failing to eliminate poverty before reaching out for Mars.

I will respond by saying Pakistan has neither eliminated poverty, nor reached Mars.

It's absolutely true for India which has social indicators of sub-Saharan Africa and spends billions on space like far richer and far more developed nations.

Haq's Musings: Can Superpoor India Become a Superpower?

It's highly misleading to claim it cost only $74 million. It couldn't have been done without the ISRO infrastructure costing tens of billions of dollars.

Are you that myopic as not to see the advantage of R&D in space tech? Is the international space market not worth 300B/year? Will ISRO not get contracts to launch satellites having the credibility to launch one as far as to mars? Is ISRO not already launching satellites for other countries? Will GSLV not launch heavier satellites which presents the bigger share of the market? Will this small steps not help India in future to ...
BBC News - The companies vying to turn asteroids into filling stations

So you tell me, should India have made another gravity type movie to earn a billion dollar or invested 74 million in Alibaba for lucrative dividends or India is right in investing in space technology?

(Source: BBC)
6555cbb6f3f43e81e27519581b2ce066-jpg.89752

It's absolutely true for India which has social indicators of sub-Saharan Africa and spends billions on space like far richer and far more developed nations.

Haq's Musings: Can Superpoor India Become a Superpower?

$1.1 billion is 2013-14 budget of ISRO,

So according to Riaz 1.1 is billions?:woot:

Up for some more Riaz Research anyone? :lol:

It's highly misleading to claim it cost only $74 million. It couldn't have been done without the ISRO infrastructure costing tens of billions of dollars.

You would have made a lesser fool of yourself, if you had claimed that Indian Govt is lying about the $74 million here.

Going by your logic.

any NASA, ESA, Chinese and Russian Space missions should all cost approx $100 - 300$ billion for each mission they undertake, if infrastructure costs of each space agency is included.

I am awaiting more gems of your Riaz Research, to entertain us :D

Last edited:
In @RiazHaq 's logic, every parents should send their children to do labour work to help their poor families.

Instead we do send them to schools/colleges for their betterment in future. The space technology programmes are the same for India. We do things for the betterment of our future. It is like follow the excellence, success will come to your way.

Do India's Space Program and Mars Mission Make Sense

YES

When you will send
"Modi" in Space instead of "Monkey"

@Developereo

View attachment 89717

Indians would be the first to admit that India is a poor country, with poor facilities on average, and has a lot of room for improvement.

The point I am making is that you must nurture the whole pipeline of technology in-house, and make sure that bright students who complete one stage of the education pipeline have opportunities waiting for them in the next stage.

It's no use building great primary schools if your secondary school system is crap. It's no use building great secondary schools if your tertiary system is inadequate. And it's no use training aeronautical engineers if they have nowhere to go afterwards.

Also, at $87 million, this is an incredibly cheap way to buy national pride and make a statement that India can match the best in the world. For many adults it may not mean much but, for a student bored to death in physics class, it makes all the difference in the world. Maintaining enthusiasm in the next generation is priceless, and all the fancy computers and equipment in the world are worthless if the student isn't motivated.

Back
Top Bottom