What's new

Delhi has not vaccinated, so Dhaka is not sending hilsa either: Anandabazar

When who tried to copy kolkata dialects?:undecided:

Not 'who' in specific, but a general thought. If i rephrase the question - is the language/dialect people use in daily life different from how they speak in TV/media?

Not 'who' in specific, but a general thought. If i rephrase the question - is the language/dialect people use in daily life different from how they speak in TV/media?

Bangla is a very diverse language.. in case of Bangladesh, there are already dozens of dialects..

A few of the said dialects are so distinct that even a most seasoned speaker of standard Bengali ( shuddo Bangla {pure Bangla - standard formal dialect of Bangladesh}) will have a tough time making sense of what's been said.

From among these distinctive dialects a few are completely unintelligible and are as such sometimes argued to be separate languages in their own right. (Not a fan of the separate language theory.)

Here I'm referring to sylethi dialect from Sylhet and Chatga from Chittagong.. the later had its own Arabic based writing system that is now lost.

A very divergent form of Chatga is spoken in Rakhine state of Myanmar by the Rohingyas.

Coming to your question, yes, we do speak differently in real life.. but that depends on the person and how they go about it.

Some people by default speak shuddo Bangla as it is their dialect.. others while capable of speaking shuddo Bangla, use it only when outside on official business or when speaking to someone they don't know or with someone from outside their 'area' (because why would you speak standard Bengali to a person who speaks your dialect already).

My grasp of shuddo Bangla grammar for one isn't the greatest but it has never been a problem for me and the are millions of people like me in Bangladesh, who are not so great at speaking the standard dialect.

The dialect spoken in Kolkata is very different from standard Bengali of Bangladesh.. in fact it is a lot more gruff, if I may.

You could have people listen to samples of the two and ask people to pick which one sounded the smoothest, they'd always pick shuddo Bangla of Bangladesh.

The Bengali spoken in India is heavily influenced by Hindi.. On the streets most Bengali conversation in Bangla have atleast one Hindi word per sentence..

If you'd like to listen to the sample audios, give me a shout.

Bangla is a very diverse language.. in case of Bangladesh, there are already dozens of dialects..

A few of the said dialects are so distinct that even a most seasoned speaker of standard Bengali ( shuddo Bangla {pure Bangla - standard formal dialect of Bangladesh}) will have a tough time making sense of what's been said.

From among these distinctive dialects a few are completely unintelligible and are as such sometimes argued to be separate languages in their own right. (Not a fan of the separate language theory.)

Here I'm referring to sylethi dialect from Sylhet and Chatga from Chittagong.. the later had its own Arabic based writing system that is now lost.

A very divergent form of Chatga is spoken in Rakhine state of Myanmar by the Rohingyas.

Coming to your question, yes, we do speak differently in real life.. but that depends on the person and how they go about it.

Some people by default speak shuddo Bangla as it is their dialect.. others while capable of speaking shuddo Bangla, use it only when outside on official business or when speaking to someone they don't know or with someone from outside their 'area' (because why would you speak standard Bengali to a person who speaks your dialect already).

My grasp of shuddo Bangla grammar for one isn't the greatest but it has never been a problem for me and the are millions of people like me in Bangladesh, who are not so great at speaking the standard dialect.

The dialect spoken in Kolkata is very different from standard Bengali of Bangladesh.. in fact it is a lot more gruff, if I may.

You could have people listen to samples of the two and ask people to pick which one sounded the smoothest, they'd always pick shuddo Bangla of Bangladesh.

The Bengali spoken in India is heavily influenced by Hindi.. On the streets most Bengali conversation in Bangla have atleast one Hindi word per sentence..

If you'd like to listen to the sample audios, give me a shout.
What dialect are the mullahs in bangladesh speaking?
Its difficult for me to understand them.

Good thing Pakistan wasn’t hostage to Indian vaccines. The Indian government always over promises and under delivers.
You are right, but I am afraid that here case is different. Surely Indian govt is over promised and under delivered , but why they used their raw assets in Bangladesh to disclose the vaccine deal with China?

So it's clear that India is trying to push Bangladesh in to corner. Deep politics lies here.

However in near future India will be paid for what they have done.

I wish Chinese vaccine will come in next month, and hopefully price isn't disclosed this time.

If media or anyone want to know the deal for the sake of democracy, I sincerely hope that hot eggs are ready to shove in their anus ; it's called egg therapy.

literally no one lol.
Probably the WB fools thinking they speak the ''correct dialect''.

I've seen them claim that we speak 'uncivilized' Bangla. If you ask me, their Bangla is a bit on the gay/limp-wristed and effeminate side. Bengali Girls like it though. :-)

"Ei dhat ki bolchhish, eshob kotha ki boltey aachhey?"

"Ei Amar achol chherey de - amar bujhi lojja korena?" "Wink-wink" :p:

or equivalent in Urdu...

"Chhor do na meri du-patta, a-ha!"

Way too many guys in Kolkata with spindly limp wrists and thin fingers....appropriate for glass bangles...

I need to ask the BD folks here - why do you try to copy the kolkata dialect while talking on TV? Why not use your own dialect whatever is popular in your place? At least I noticed a few/many times.
Those whom you seen talking on TV are not using 'Kolkata dialect'. They are using standard Bengali language which is the same in Bangladesh and West Bengal. Origin of standard Bengali language is not in Kolkata, rather Nadia-Kushtia region of undivided Bengal. Before 1947, Kushtia was part of Nadia district which later bifurcated during partition. Nadia is now a district of West Bengal while Kushtia is a district in Bangladesh

During 19th century people of that region was progressive in education and literature and they developed the standard Bengali based on their own dialect which later accepted as a standard. (even Rabindranath Tagore's Zamindari was located in Kushtia whre he spend a lot time.) So you can say both Bangladesh and West bengal are the enheritor of standard Bengali language and no one is copying another when they speak the standard form. I hope this removed your confusion.

I need to ask the BD folks here - why do you try to copy the kolkata dialect while talking on TV? Why not use your own dialect whatever is popular in your place? At least I noticed a few/many times.
It is you who can't tell the difference. There is a huge difference between Bangladeshi shuddho Bangla and Kolkata dialects.

We can tell it apart by listening to one sentence.
Bangladeshi shuddho doesn't come with the forced intonations , fake emotions (eyy maa, shey ki bolcho go!!) and weird mispronunciations (aajkey vs aaj-gay) of the Kolkata dialect that people here laugh at.
The vocabs are also different.
Pani vs jol
Bhai vs da
We don't throw around strong words like "jompesh" casually as to us words have meanings.

Our news presenters would get laughed out of town if they started with "ajker bishesh bishesh shironam...".

Last edited:

Yes and no.

There are many regional dialects in BD but there is also a standardized dialect that is "Promito Bangla". In all official settings we use Promito Bangla. The Promito Bangla is a dialect of Bangladesh itself which is standardized, it is different from the Kolkata dialect. People in BD and in TV do not 'copy' Kolkata dialect, Kolkata dialect is even made fun of in BD.

Last edited:
No idea why people are talking about dialects here. :disagree:

The simple fact is that with that Turd Modi's inability to deal with a virus when an effective vaccine was available, has meant that countries like BD are in a difficult position when they should now have been able to fully vaccinate their most vulnerable 10% of their population with the very effective AstraZeneca vaccine.

Now BD is picking up vaccines from anywhere and everywhere and it has or will have vaccinated with AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Chinese vaccine and now Moderna within a month. Sputnik may also start coming when the government is able to finally sign the contract. This is a total and utter mess and an admin and logistical nightmare.

Last edited:
Those whom you seen talking on TV are not using 'Kolkata dialect'. They are using standard Bengali language which is the same in Bangladesh and West Bengal. Origin of standard Bengali language is not in Kolkata, rather Nadia-Kushtia region of undivided Bengal. Before 1947, Kushtia was part of Nadia district which later bifurcated during partition. Nadia is now a district of West Bengal while Kushtia is a district in Bangladesh

During 19th century people of that region was progressive in education and literature and they developed the standard Bengali based on their own dialect which later accepted as a standard. (even Rabindranath Tagore's Zamindari was located in Kushtia whre he spend a lot time.) So you can say both Bangladesh and West bengal are the enheritor of standard Bengali language and no one is copying another when they speak the standard form. I hope this removed your confusion.
You are correct, the colloquial Bengali is taken reference from the language spoken by people from Nadia, not of Khustia. Khustia is little different. What I can understand is its the Rarhi Dialect spoken by Old Presidency Division of British India which included Howrah and Kolkata.

Saying so I must admit the language of Kolkata is bit diff from Nadia.
Now from Banglapedia,

Chalita Bhasa colloquial or spoken Bangla. In Bangla prose two forms of language are used: chalita or colloquial and sadhu or 'chaste'. Standard language was the form used for Bangla prose till the third decade of the 19th century, when bhabanicharan bandyopadhyay first used colloquial language. The colloquial Bangla evolved over time particularly from the writings of peary chand mitra and kali prasanna singh. Colloquial Bangla received literary acceptance and saw its full growth in pramatha chowdhury's sabujpatra. It has progressed further and has greatly influenced modern writings. It has now become the language of literature and the media. One of the last Bangladeshi papers to give up the sadhu form was ittefaq, which has also started using the colloquial form since 2001.

Colloquial Bangla is based on the language spoken by the people of Nadia, West Bengal. Its verbs and pronouns are very close to spoken expressions and are shorter than in sadhu bhasa. For example: সে চলিয়া গেল (se chaliya gela, He went); সে চলে গেল (se chale gela, He went); তাহাদিগকে (tahadigake, to them); তাদের (tader, to them). Chaste language is formal, whereas colloquial language is comparatively easy and informal. Colloquial language is now generally used in both formal and informal writings. [Mohammad Daniul Huq]

Note all the names Bhabanicharan, Peary Chand or Kali Prasanna in the paragraphs above are from Kolkata. So Kolkata was pivotal in shaping the language.

You can go through the books of Dinesh Sen, Sukumar Sen and Suniti Chatterjee to get more details. In fact what I know from my relatives in BD these are taught in Masters in Dacca University.

Suniti Kumar Chatterjee was perhaps the best linguistic the subcontinent has ever seen.

You are correct, the colloquial Bengali is taken reference from the language spoken by people from Nadia, not of Khustia. Khustia is little different. What I can understand is its the Rarhi Dialect spoken by Old Presidency Division of British India which included Howrah and Kolkata.

Saying so I must admit the language of Kolkata is bit diff from Nadia.
Now from Banglapedia,

Chalita Bhasa colloquial or spoken Bangla. In Bangla prose two forms of language are used: chalita or colloquial and sadhu or 'chaste'. Standard language was the form used for Bangla prose till the third decade of the 19th century, when bhabanicharan bandyopadhyay first used colloquial language. The colloquial Bangla evolved over time particularly from the writings of peary chand mitra and kali prasanna singh. Colloquial Bangla received literary acceptance and saw its full growth in pramatha chowdhury's sabujpatra. It has progressed further and has greatly influenced modern writings. It has now become the language of literature and the media. One of the last Bangladeshi papers to give up the sadhu form was ittefaq, which has also started using the colloquial form since 2001.

Colloquial Bangla is based on the language spoken by the people of Nadia, West Bengal. Its verbs and pronouns are very close to spoken expressions and are shorter than in sadhu bhasa. For example: সে চলিয়া গেল (se chaliya gela, He went); সে চলে গেল (se chale gela, He went); তাহাদিগকে (tahadigake, to them); তাদের (tader, to them). Chaste language is formal, whereas colloquial language is comparatively easy and informal. Colloquial language is now generally used in both formal and informal writings. [Mohammad Daniul Huq]

Note all the names Bhabanicharan, Peary Chand or Kali Prasanna in the paragraphs above are from Kolkata. So Kolkata was pivotal in shaping the language.

You can go through the books of Dinesh Sen, Sukumar Sen and Suniti Chatterjee to get more details. In fact what I know from my relatives in BD these are taught in Masters in Dacca University.

Suniti Kumar Chatterjee was perhaps the best linguistic the subcontinent has ever seen.
But what is your opinion on the languages that are spoken in Kushtia and Nadia. When people speak they follow their dialect. It means this the standard spoken language. However, intonations are quite different in Kolkata, especially after being mixed with Hindi.

We try to follow Kushtia dialect as the standard form, but not very successfully.

But what is your opinion on the languages that are spoken in Kushtia and Nadia. When people speak they follow their dialect. It means this the standard spoken language. However, intonations are quite different in Kolkata, especially after being mixed with Hindi.
It different but not quite different. I belong to Western part of Bengal where a non trained ear will not understand the bengali we speak. Its different quite different.

It different but not quite different. I belong to Western part of Bengal where a non trained ear will not understand the bengali we speak. Its different quite different.
Western part of WB means is it Bankura, Purulia or Medinipur?

My native is at Medinipur.
Thanks. Sometime in the late 1740s, Nawab Aliwardy Khan signed finally a treaty with the Marathas after a long 10-year war with them.

By this treaty, instead of paying Chautha and Sardesmukhi (1/4th and 1/10th of the taxes payable to the Mughal Delhi govt) to the Marathas, he relinquished the Orissa administration/ taxes to them.

But, he separated Medinipur from Orissa and joined it to Bengal proper. Until that time, Medinipur was a part of Orissa. I hope you know about this historical tidbit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom