What's new

Defence Acquisition Council to discuss Navy’s Rs 25,000 crore warship propo

MST
Not everywhere you need your scorpene. Their are certain tasks in amphibious operations where you need to deploy your army very with support of navys logistics. So they are for that use.

We are desperately lacking in no. of Submarines. At the end of the India will always be a Status Quo/defensive Power and Subs are the best suited platform for it.

Protecting Andaman and Nicobar Island Chain in case of war with China and also Islands which are there in Arabian sea.
But Sir A&N has already a Tri forces command. They hardly need LPD. In case of war Chinese movements will detected long back and we have large number of C130 and C17 to do the job in that case.

India has a lot of islands... having such a force is necessary. But we should raise an Indian Marine Division as well....

The Navy is building permantent presence on the Two Island groups India has. I really don't see how these LPDs are necessary to protect the Island.

@MST @karan21 Indian navy very much need these kinds of ships. The need for them was felt in the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami where Indian Navy being the largest navy of the region was offering all sort of help to the regional countries, but it was finding itself short of large ships like LPD/LHDs to transfer medical help etc. to the victims. Thats why IN first brought second hand LPD Jalashwa from USN & now planning to acquire new.

LPD/LHDs are more help in the time of PEACE than at time of WAR.

We have to prove to the regional nations that Indian Ocean is indeed INDIA's OCEAN ;)

Buddy the Tsunami was a special situation. Something that won't happen again atleast on that scale thanks to the many monitoring station across the globe. I agree on the part that we need to help people in need but do you really think a 1 billion dollar ship is fit for that. We already have many amphibious ships as already pointed out.

These ships are whole and sole offensive weapons. With a economic slowdown and we were talking about budget cuts a month ago only I really can't see why we should splurge on offensive weapons like these which will most likely be never used. I mean you can buy all the offensive weapons in the world but we really can't buy balls to use them. Last Indian leader with balls died in 1984. Better buy some subs from this money. That will be better use of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
actually wiki tells IN has 16 such vessels, but 4 of them weigh only 1100 tons and rest 6 weigh only 90 tons

probably this why the other wiki article(which I used to give 6 AS figure) says India has 6 amphibious warfare ships

These 6 ships weigh above 5,000 tons

Those are landing crafts,and don't classify as ships.In fact we have more than 6 of them for sure.

US_Navy_080607-N-8848T-127_Landing_Craft_Mechanized_501_(LCM-501)_and_the_.jpg

yeah we have but those are amphibious tranport docks but not a landing helicopter dock. i hope you understand the difference.

I made that clear in my post itself.

Those are landing crafts,and don't classify as ships.In fact we have more than 6 of them for sure.

US_Navy_080607-N-8848T-127_Landing_Craft_Mechanized_501_(LCM-501)_and_the_.jpg

I made that clear in my post itself.

please tell exact number
@sancho> how many amphibious transport docks we do have?

I think we should concentrate on our submarine fleet instead which is in a pathetic state. Sub surface warfare is the future. And that's the most crucial weapon system if one wants to control the oceans. We need to have at least 10 Virginia class nuclear attack subs in addition to others. Even a cash strapped North Korea has 70 subs! (though vintage).

please tell exact number

One, the INS Jalashwa which cannot be used in war :coffee:

I think we should concentrate on our submarine fleet instead which is in a pathetic state. Sub surface warfare is the future. And that's the most crucial weapon system if one wants to control the oceans. We need to have at least 10 Virginia class nuclear attack subs in addition to others. Even a cash strapped North Korea has 70 subs! (though vintage).

Our surface fleet is as important as our sub fleet. Especially due to our blue water ambitions! Besides our sub program is already really impressive (upgraded Kilo class subs, the Akula class nuclear sub (maybe one more), Arihant class, 6 Scorpenes and the latest P 75I tender).

Yes much of these projects got delayed but diverting money from the surface fleet to the sub forces wont help anyone.

And how can we get Virginia class subs? :what:???!!!!!!!! And for what?

Furthermore, most of NKs subs (like all their other equipment) is HOPELESSLY obsolete and simply junk. Most of these 70 subs are tiny midget subs anyway.

please tell exact number

As Koovie said, one so far. In the future IN intends to procure 4 more, the question is only if they will be LDPs (as it looks like), or LHDs.

Back
Top Bottom